The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please let this happen!

+5
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
Strongback
Derbymanc
hampo17
9 posters

Go down

Please let this happen! Empty Please let this happen!

Post by hampo17 Thu 12 Mar - 18:34

Gary Hyde has written a letter to WBA calling on, WBA regular champion, Scott Quigg as Rigondeaux mandatory challenger, to step up to the plate and fight Rigo.

Dear Chairman Mendoza:

I write as the manager of Guillermo Rigondeaux, the Unified WBA/WBO Champion.

I write to request enforcement of the mandatory. Uniquely in the Super Bantamweight Division Guillermo Rigondeaux is the “Unified Champion” and Scott Quigg is the “Regular Champion.” Clearly as the Regular Champion Quigg is the highest ranked contender in the division. While he was injured he is now back in training and there is no reason why Mr. Rigondeaux cannot or should not fulfill his mandatory obligations against Mr. Quigg.

We are aware that there are some discussions about a bout between Quigg and Frampton. However, we have been in touch with the IBF and they will not sanction the unification fight with anyone other than the highest level champion which in this case is Guillermo Rigondeaux.

We respectfully suggest that it is best to deal with the mandatory issue now and request that Quigg and Guillermo be directed to begin negotiations.

Respectfully submitted,

By: _________________________

GARY HYDE

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Please let this happen! Empty Re: Please let this happen!

Post by Derbymanc Thu 12 Mar - 18:41

That's spot on that is, fingers crossed it happens now OR they state the next fight must be Quigg Frampton, then the winner vs Rigo, or Quigg must face Rigo.

Depends how much influence Mr Hearn has with them I suppose.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Mar - 19:08

If Hearn wasn't hanging out in hope for the Frampton fight I am sure he would have no problem feeding Quigg to Rigo in the States. It's not like Quigg is a money spinner.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Mar - 19:39

If the WBA back Hyde Quigg will drop his belt and fight Frampton. Hopefully that lands it on ITV (and Belfast would be a bonus).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 12 Mar - 19:45

The WBA rules do state that a super champion can mandate the regular champion to face him or be stripped of his title, it was effectively what Wlad did with Povetkin.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Mar - 19:55

Here's an alternative take. If quigg takes on rigo, gets outclassed as we suspect, he will have lost to the considered division no 1. Unless he capitulates inside a round... And let's be honest, the money would always be landslide points for rigo... Does it kill his reputation? Does he still have frampton to fall back on?

It might depend on his performance against rigo, but I'd suggest he does, although most likely for a smaller share of a probably smaller pie.

So, Quigg gets two big fights. Whereas If he fights frampton and gets smacked we may never hear from him again.

... And just imagine if the timing was right... Stracey napoles, mcguigan pedrosa, hatton Tszyu... rigo's shown signs of mortality recently.

There's an argument that frampton has more to lose from quigg v rigo than quigg. Ie his short term options get limited and his show down with quigg likely loses a bit of lustre

Back in the real world, as haz says, it just makes the quigg frampton fight more likely. It might focus both parties minds at the negotiating table.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Mar - 20:17

I don't see Rigo v Quigg being a money fight. Neither could sell out the proverbial phone box

Frampton is the draw and now especially so after the ITV exposure.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Mar - 20:41

Neither draw sheet strongy, but when your mate Eddie gets hold of the sky marketing machine for little Manc urchin Scott against superstar of boxing rigo... The flies will be round the jam jar. We Brits love an underdog like we love a loser. And quigg would likely be both.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 12 Mar - 20:46

No way does Hearn throw away a Frampton boon by putting Quigg in with Rigondeaux. Nee chance.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 12 Mar - 20:48

milkyboy wrote:Neither draw sheet strongy, but when your mate Eddie gets hold of the sky marketing machine for little Manc urchin Scott against superstar of boxing rigo... The flies will be round the jam jar. We Brits love an underdog like we love a loser. And quigg would likely be both.

Every fight needs a story and some intrigue to sell. The thoughts Rigo shadowing around the place boxing Quigg's ears off just doesn't seem like a seller.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 12 Mar - 21:16

If this happens then we might see Frampton v Santa Cruz. Maybe the winners fight next.

To be honest I'd prefer to see Frampton Quigg over the Rigo fight. Rigo is just far too good for Quigg. Can't imagine it being as exciting and enjoyable a fight.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Mar - 21:18

Quigg should ignore Rigo and fight Frampo.....Be a much less anticipated fight should Quigg's 0 disappear...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Mar - 21:33

milkyboy wrote:Here's an alternative take. If quigg takes on rigo, gets outclassed as we suspect, he will have lost to the considered division no 1. Unless he capitulates inside a round... And let's be honest, the money would always be landslide points for rigo... Does it kill his reputation? Does he still have frampton to fall back on?

It might depend on his performance against rigo, but I'd suggest he does, although most likely for a smaller share of a probably smaller pie.

So, Quigg gets two big fights. Whereas If he fights frampton and gets smacked we may never hear from him again.

... And just imagine if the timing was right... Stracey napoles, mcguigan pedrosa, hatton Tszyu... rigo's shown signs of mortality recently.

There's an argument that frampton has more to lose from quigg v rigo than quigg. Ie his short term options get limited and his show down with quigg likely loses a bit of lustre

Back in the real world, as haz says, it just makes the quigg frampton fight more likely. It might focus both parties minds at the negotiating table.

i guess i should just be happy that people at least read some of my post.

My point was, it's not necessarily a disasterous idea, but it's a risk and it won't happen.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Mar - 21:37

Not sure Frampo v Quigg is likely mate....Barry is notoriously stubborn..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Mar - 22:03

Who knows, fella, but let's hope so (that the fight happens not that Barry is stubborn!)

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 12 Mar - 22:40

RanjitPatel wrote:If this happens then we might see Frampton v Santa Cruz. Maybe the winners fight next.

To be honest I'd prefer to see Frampton Quigg over the Rigo fight. Rigo is just far too good for Quigg. Can't imagine it being as exciting and enjoyable a fight.
Unlikely, Santa Cruz is set to vacate and move up and fight Mares instead.

Last edited by Gerry SA on Thu 12 Mar - 22:48; edited 1 time in total

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 12 Mar - 22:47

Right o, didn't know that.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 12 Mar - 22:49

RanjitPatel wrote:Right o, didn't know that.
Pointless fight TBH, Mares has lost that magic after Jhonny KO'd him. Good name on Leo's CV though should he win

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 12 Mar - 22:52

Mares still seems hell bent on a Gonzalez rematch more than anything, still think he's good to overcome Santa Cruz myself, actually think the fact he's smaller will be an advantage in a fight with two pressure fighters.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 12 Mar - 22:55

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Mares still seems hell bent on a Gonzalez rematch more than anything, still think he's good to overcome Santa Cruz myself, actually think the fact he's smaller will be an advantage in a fight with two pressure fighters.
Mares' defense is so poor these days, even against Ramirez(the guy Lomachenko destroyed in 4 rounds) Abner was caught 5/6 times flush and it buckled his legs. If Jhonny lands flush, Abner gets KTFO again.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 12 Mar - 22:59

I wouldn't mind seeing that fight to be honest. Not a fan of either but I think their styles would gel.

Thought Mares would have had a rematch with Gonzalez by now. Even talk of him moving back down and wouldn't have minded seeing him v Quigg or Frampton.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down