The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONGU changes for 2016

+12
MustPuttBetter
puligny
golfermartin
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
BlueCoverman
LadyPutt
McLaren
barragan
SmithersJones
Davie
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CONGU changes for 2016 - Page 2 Empty CONGU changes for 2016

Post by Davie Fri 22 May 2015, 11:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Had a notification from my club giving advance warning of some proposals from CONGU for next year - some of them quite surprising!

Key points seem to be...

1) Upper handicap limit for men AND women to go to 40.4 - playing handicap of 40 (find this hard to believe!)
2) New CONGU Cat 6 created based on existing junior and handicapped golfers, allowing for handicaps up to 54
3) 4BBB allowance to be changed from 3/4 to 9/10
4) Supplementary cards to be allowed for 9 holes

I expect complaints from the low handicappers about 3)

Davie

Back to top Go down

CONGU changes for 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: CONGU changes for 2016

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 24 May 2015, 10:45 pm

Surely something has to be the 'control' though?
So say your handicap is set based on whatever set of tees at your home course and you get adjustments for other tees and away courses. That would make some sense
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 24 May 2015, 11:05 pm

The idea is your handicap is fixed and the course is the variable. We basically allow conditions on the day/performance of players to determine any adjustment after the fact.
There are probably other nuances - I'm no expert, but what I've described represents my experience.
Just asked Mrs P if I've got it right. She confirms my understanding, but has started swearing!! (She's not a fan!)

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 24 May 2015, 11:27 pm

Ha ha thanks Puligny. I might try and have a read up
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 26 May 2015, 10:29 am

By and large the SSS & CSS work well (most of the time). I've actually played in Opens where a separate "away" CSS is calculated. So...is the introduction of the slope rating going to replace or supplement the current system. If it is to replace how is it going to cater for the differences between a flat calm and a force 5 hoolie??

With regard to the matchplay thing, I can only imagine that the stats bear out the change. One thing I would like to see CONGU get a grip of is the tossers who play the minimum required amount of medals a year to keep their handicap active (and throw them in the process by deliberately playing sh1te) then turn up for matchplay events and shoot the lights out. Congo could do with finding a way of introducing cuts in matchplay.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 26 May 2015, 10:50 am

The slope system is a much more refined and complex version of CSS/SSS.

SSS is only relevant to scratch golfers - the clue is in the title. A difficult course like Wentworth might have a SSS of 74 when par is 72, but to an 18 handicapper, the course is probably a lot harder than just 2 shots above handicap.

Sunningdale for instance has carries of 150-200 yards over gorse and heather to reach the fairways. This has no impact for a scratch golfer and won't affect SSS, but makes a huge difference to a short inconsistent hitter... if you're off 24 you would probably need 30+ shots to play there to nett par.

My understanding is that you have your home handicap based on your home course - let's call it 10. This is then adjusted based on the slope rating of your home course to arrive at a "standard handicap". Let's say you are a member of a tough links course like Carnoustie - your 10 handicap on the championship course might be equivalent to a standard handicap of 7. When you play away courses, you travel with your standard handicap of 7 and then adjust it according to the slope of the course you are playing that day. If you're playing as easy course you might only get 7 shots.

The concept makes a lot of sense. It's also why if you play with an American their handicap seems a lot lower than their ability, because it is their standard handicap.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 26 May 2015, 12:23 pm

Ray, that is essentially what I had assumed to be the long and the short of the sloping system. If it is as you set out then that does make a lot of sense
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 May 2015, 12:31 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Ray, that is essentially what I had assumed to be the long and the short of the sloping system. If it is as you set out then that does make a lot of sense

Racist

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 26 May 2015, 1:10 pm

It's true, I am Jeremy Clarkson
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content