The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

+37
EST
Manky-Flanker
InjuredYetAgain
JonnyEdinburgh
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
highland_scot
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
VinceWLB
des
justified sinner
cakeordeath
A Simply Mesmeric Try
lostinwales
IanBru
Prothero
Imperialbigdave
madmaccas
TJ
nickj
Eejit
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
CraigS1874
cp10
Weegie Wizard
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
BigGee
Majestic83
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
41 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by George Carlin Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Time Honoured Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Dave-a10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
https://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii

A. Edinburgh (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Patek10 
Players In
William Helu from Wasps
Nasi Manu from Highlanders
Nathan Fowles from Sale Sharks
Michael Allen from Ulster
Jack Cosgrove from Worcester Warriors

Players Out
Tom Heathcote to Worcester Warriors
Grayson Hart to Glasgow Warriors
Ollie Atkins to Exeter Chiefs
Tim Visser to Harlequins

B. Glasgow (2015-2016)
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Flik_f10
Players In
Simone Favaro from Benetton Treviso
Grayson Hart from Edinburgh
Kieran Low from London Irish
Mike Blair from Newcastle Falcons
Sam Johnson from Queensland Reds
Greg Peterson from Leicester Tigers
Taqele Naiyaravoro from NSW Waratahs
Javan Sebastian from Carmarthen Quins

Players Out
Nikola Matawalu to Bath Rugby
Sean Maitland to London Irish
D.T.H. van der Merwe to Scarlets
Dougie Hall retired
Jon Welsh to Newcastle Falcons
Alastair Kellock retired
Murray McConnell to Nottingham
James Downey to Wasps
Tommy Spinks to Jersey
Euan Murray to Pau
Connor Braid released

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by jimbopip Sun 05 Jul 2015, 5:21 pm

It's double time on Sunday's, best wait till Monday. Then they sleep in for work. Very Happy

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:36 pm

George Carlin wrote:Just to confirm that these are now available and that I have ordered one for FES, RDW and Maj which Jimbo will hand deliver to you, duly wrapped in a sock and thrown through your windows at 4am on Sunday:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IX - Page 6 Mug10
No, no. Don't thank me.

I'll make sure the hounds are left out in garden tonight....

Actually I'd love one. I presume the proceeds will be to cover Big T's return flight to Australia? I read a transcript of his interview and for some reason he doesn't think Glasgow would be an ideal place to raise a family. Surely Toonie should be on the phone to explain that provided the kids display the correct gang tags they should be fine so long as they stay within the right postcode.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:37 pm

jimbopip wrote:It's double time on Sunday's, best wait till Monday. Then they sleep in for work. Very Happy

Oh it warms the heart to hear a weegie refer to "work".....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:50 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Just to confirm that these are now available and that I have ordered one for FES, RDW and Maj which Jimbo will hand deliver to you, duly wrapped in a sock and thrown through your windows at 4am on Sunday:
No, no. Don't thank me.

Actually I'd love one. I presume the proceeds will be to cover Big T's return flight to Australia? I read a transcript of his interview and for some reason he doesn't think Glasgow would be an ideal place to raise a family. Surely Toonie should be on the phone to explain that provided the kids display the correct gang tags they should be fine so long as they stay within the right postcode.
The postcode lottery can be a nightmare. For example, I heard that in EH3 they ran out of organic hummous last night.

I'm not sure how you're coping with that, but rest assured that you're in our prayers and with god's help everyone in Stockbridge will come through this difficult time.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

Big Tacky doing a U-turn on his move to the unwashed

Apparently he found out that everyone is leavng Glasgow and actually the team was going to be rather pants for the next season.

Glasgow now looking to have Lee Jones on one wing and Max Evans on the other

Jesus wept
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:27 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
No, no. Don't thank me.

The postcode lottery can be a nightmare. For example, I heard that in EH3 they ran out of organic hummous last night.

I'm not sure how you're coping with that, but rest assured that you're in our prayers and with god's help everyone in Stockbridge will come through this difficult time.

Thank you for those kind words. We are pulling through hummous-gate although it has been a harrowing experience. Apparently Tesco at the Gyle had some but being seen there is completely out of the question.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 07 Jul 2015, 9:21 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
No, no. Don't thank me.

Thank you for those kind words. We are pulling through hummous-gate although it has been a harrowing experience. Apparently Tesco at the Gyle had some but being seen there is completely out of the question.

Goes to show how posh lawyer boy is!

He doesn't know that there is no Tesco at the Gyle! - Its a Morrisons!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 07 Jul 2015, 10:43 am

https://instagram.com/p/4rgXA0Rp3E/

Hoggy, what a wag. Whistle

Mind you the long suffering look on McMisser's face makes it look like this is not an isolated incident in the Scotland camp.

Also the tag stuarthogg21Unlucky McVisser makes me wonder if the players actually read this guff and refer to each other by the nicknames we dream up. Erm

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:09 am

jimbopip wrote:https://instagram.com/p/4rgXA0Rp3E/

Hoggy, what a wag. Whistle

Mind you the long suffering look on McMisser's face makes it look like this is not an isolated incident in the Scotland camp.

Also the tag  stuarthogg21Unlucky McVisser  makes me wonder if the players actually read this guff and refer to each other by the nicknames we dream up. Erm

I've seen him called that elsewhere - if it was McMisser then we'd really know they read here!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 07 Jul 2015, 1:40 pm

tigertattie wrote:Goes to show how posh lawyer boy is!

Same same!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 07 Jul 2015, 2:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Goes to show how posh lawyer boy is!

Same same!

Nooooooooo

Tesco is for folk who want to be posh but aren't posh
Morrisons is for folk who are "working class"

totally different beasts!

Other supermarkets are:
Sainsburys - For folk who want to shop at M&S but find it jsut out of thier price range
Asda - For those who need to save pennies as they are "on the bread line"
Lidl and Aldi - For those who should really consider moving to Glasgow and living "off the broo"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:44 am

I hear rumours that Glasgow is signing Rory Clegg, the young Saxons and Newcastle Falcons fly half.

Bizarre, that one. Presumably he is the new Connor Braid?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:17 am

Why? Surely it would make more sense for him to go to Edinburgh? Glasgow are pretty ok for 10's. Unless Weir's off?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:18 am

nickj wrote:Why? Surely it would make more sense for him to go to Edinburgh? Glasgow are pretty ok for 10's. Unless Weir's off?

I suppose that we could lose Russell, Weir and Horne to the RWC this year. Leaving whom? I guess that's the question.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:23 am

Good point. I thought Fraser Lyle and Gregor Hunter might suffice but Gregor obviously feels otherwise. I'd be inclined to agree come to think of it.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:26 am

I think it would be a weird signing if its a permanent one as Glasgow are pretty well stocked for 10s.
Think it will probably be a short term deal as world cup cover. I'm sure I read on one of the other threads that Clegg was moving out to Australia so could be a temporary signing before he moves there.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:45 am

Majestic83 wrote:I think it would be a weird signing if its a permanent one as Glasgow are pretty well stocked for 10s.
Think it will probably be a short term deal as world cup cover. I'm sure I read on one of the other threads that Clegg was moving out to Australia so could be a temporary signing before he moves there.

I suspect that it is a short term fix, but I remember Clegg breaking through and he was a very highly regarded prospect. Were Edinburgh to sign him on a permanent move I'd be pretty pleased to be honest - I don't think Tonks and Burleigh, both players moving from other positions, is enough depth.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:53 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:I think it would be a weird signing if its a permanent one as Glasgow are pretty well stocked for 10s.

I suspect that it is a short term fix, but I remember Clegg breaking through and he was a very highly regarded prospect. Were Edinburgh to sign him on a permanent move I'd be pretty pleased to be honest - I don't think Tonks and Burleigh, both players moving from other positions, is enough depth.

We've got Te Rue as well.  Problem solved  Crying or Very sad

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:11 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

We've got Te Rue as well.  Problem solved  Crying or Very sad

How could I possibly forget!? Let's just hope that Scott Johnson has a word in Cotter's ear so that Horne gets selected over Tonks, so we can have Tonks at 10 for the whole of next season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:34 am

Some good news (in my opinion) for Edinburgh fans in the Scotsman today (quoted below my chat).

Stevie Scott gave a wee interview around how Nel is the dogs and will make a huge impact for Scotland in the WC, which given we have very little resource at TH is fair enough.  But the main bit for me was around Edinburgh this coming season.  He’s calling out that Hoyland and Dean should be playing a part this season, now granted we’re losing Visser and our only other established winger is Fife (I know we have the guys coming in as well), so it makes sense that Hoyland should get a shot.

I would be great if we got to see what these lads can do.

Scott in the Scotsman wrote:EDINBURGH Rugby assistant coach Steve Scott believes prop WP Nel can make a big impact for Scotland in the Rugby World Cup.

Scott, a former hooker himself who earned 11 caps for Scotland between 2000 and 2004, has worked with South African-born Nel for the last two seasons at the capital-based club.

“I have working with (Nel) hard and his scrummaging has improved massively
Steve Scott He believes the 29-year-old keeps getting better and better and will give something extra to Vern Cotter’s team should he make the cut from the extended squad for the showpiece event in September and October.

“Project” signing Nel is likely to make his Scotland debut in the World Cup warm-up Tests in August and early September and, with Euan Murray having retired, he will want to make the dark blue number three jersey his own going forward.

“I think the timing for WP Nel to be joining up with Scotland is perfect. I have been working with him hard over the last couple of years and his scrummaging really has improved massively,” Scott, 40, said. “As a unit the whole Edinburgh pack has improved and that has helped WP move on his game a lot. WP will go well at the World Cup, he is a great athlete and gets around the park well.”

Last season Nel’s Edinburgh team-mates Ben Toolis and Hamish Watson pushed their way into the Scotland squad and earned first caps during the Six Nations.

Scott knows that the second-row and back-row respectively will find it tricky to make the final 31-man squad, but knowing the types of determined characters they are he expects them to keep pushing their more experienced team-mates hard.

He explained: “Ben Toolis has done an outstanding job for one so young.

“To take on so much responsibility last season with Edinburgh and to call lineouts in top competitions meant that he deserved his Scotland cap.

“The only thing for Scotland is they have real strength in depth in the second-row position, but Ben has got a chance to make the World Cup.

Hamish is a phenomenal athlete. His work rate is second to none and he certainly has a chance with Scotland. I think his progress has been helped by having someone as good as Roddy Grant in the same position pushing him at Edinburgh.”

Turning his attention to club matters, Scott believes that head coach Alan Solomons is definitely the right man to continue taking Edinburgh forward.

“Alan said from the start [in 2013] that the Edinburgh job was going to be a work in progress and he needed to build things up,” Scott stated.

“He has been true to his word, he has built a club through the young players like Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Ben Toolis, Hamish Watson and others and I think this season we will see the likes of Chris Dean and Damien Hoyland coming through and Alan has a real plan.

“We took a big step up in quality last year and made strides, but we still have a long way to go and these are exciting times at Edinburgh.

“If you look back two or three years ago we did not have the depth of squad that we have now – you need depth if you are to compete in two big competitions like we were doing last year.”

Scott was speaking after it was announced that he would be one of eight up-and-coming coaches to undertake a new coaching qualification.

The United Kingdom Coaching Certificate (UKCC) Level 4 will be delivered for the first time in Scotland, in partnership with Edinburgh Napier University and sportscotland.

Scott is joined by Kenny Murray (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Fisher (Edinburgh Academy Skills Coach, Boroughmuir and Scotland under-18), John Dalziel (Melrose and Scotland under-20), Phil Smith (Heriot’s, Glasgow Academy and Scotland Club XV), Calum Forrester (Ayr and Scotland under-19), Stevie Lawrie (Heriot’s, Stewart’s Melville College and Scotland under-16) and Andrew Hall (Hong Kong) in starting the two-year course next month.

His own coaching journey began when he was still a player at the Border Reivers – and Scott has been learning ever since.

He said: “When I was playing at the Borders I was working as head coach at Selkirk.

“After the Borders, I could have gone to play at Glasgow, but there were about six hookers there at the time, so I decided to start working at Murrayfield with the Scottish Rugby academy players.

“Then I worked with the national team with Mike Brewer and then the opportunity came to head to Sale Sharks with him. I was there for just over two and a half years and then came back to work with the national team during the Six Nations with Dean Ryan.

“I then stepped in to be Edinburgh head coach for five or six games when Michael Bradley left and I have been here ever since under Alan over the last couple of seasons.”

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm

Agreed, I'm really pleased to hear that Chris Dean and Damian Hoyland are mentioned by name - both look good prospects who need the experience of Pro12 rugby to develop any further.

He's right about Nel as well. His scrummaging is good, which is of course essential, but in the loose with ball in hand he is as good as it gets for a tighthead prop - he's an excellent ball carrier.

I don't think Watson will make the squad. Personally I'd have him in ahead of Blair Cowan given the other back row options likely to be selected (Strauss, Harley and Denton/Ashe, with potentially Barclay as well), as I like an out and out openside on the park, particularly with the more skillful backs we now have at our disposal.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm

Evening times are running a piece on the Warriors attendances. It says that at the start of this week there have been 3,200 season tickets sold in comparison to 3,500 last season. I would imagine there will end up being a modest increase in the numbers but with the minimum 40% increase in prices that is a very good return.

If they had kept the prices the same they would need to be sitting at over 5k for the same money. Not sure how realistic that is. Doing it this way also means there are more single tickets left to be sold at each game.

Still a sore one but it has done the job for them.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 08 Jul 2015, 7:48 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:Evening times are running a piece on the Warriors attendances. It says that at the start of this week there have been 3,200 season tickets sold in comparison to 3,500 last season. I would imagine there will end up being a modest increase in the numbers but with the minimum 40% increase in prices that is a very good return.

If they had kept the prices the same they would need to be sitting at over 5k for the same money. Not sure how realistic that is. Doing it this way also means there are more single tickets left to be sold at each game.

A season ticket for the Warriors is still very good value, even with the price increase. I would have one like a shot if I lived in Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:31 pm

BigGee wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:Evening times are running a piece on the Warriors attendances. It says that at the start of this week there have been 3,200 season tickets sold in comparison to 3,500 last season. I would imagine there will end up being a modest increase in the numbers but with the minimum 40% increase in prices that is a very good return.

A season ticket for the Warriors is still very good value, even with the price increase. I would have one like a shot if I lived in Glasgow!

Not sure you want anything "like a shot" in Glasgow!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:16 am

Big T has survived the cut and made the 31 man Australia squad - looks like he's getting capped!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

Does that put this to bed? The way I see it, the only way he ends up at the Warriors next season is if the aussies further relax their rules and say their wallabies can play wherever they want.

Time to start looking for a new winger I think. Do the Scarlets have anyone?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:20 am

Still unknown - Glasgow are saying he's coming no matter what happens with his international situation.

Big T said now he's picked by the wallabies he'll be looking to stay in Australia!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Still unknown - Glasgow are saying he's coming no matter what happens with his international situation.

Big T said now he's picked by the wallabies he'll be looking to stay in Australia!

So, Rory Hughes on the left wing next season, Lee Jones or Sean Lamont?? Hughes wins my vote.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:14 am

Its at times like this I feel for the unwashed ones!

Last season they had:
No Euro knockout rugby
No 1872 cup win

Next season looks like they'll be adding:
No Pro 12 playoff spot

They'll need to raid the dressing room at Ayr if this keeps up!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

In all seriousness it would be a real shame if Big T doesn't sign. I for one would really like to see him play, and with Visser gone we'd have a fighting chance of tackling him at the 1872 Cup!

We need both sides to be strong and attract the very best players, and this guy could develop into something really special. I hope this Australia call-up is treated as a red herring by the SRU, and that Glasgow sign him anyway. He'll get used to the dreadful weather, the smell and the knife crime.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 10 Jul 2015, 3:38 pm

and the deep fried easter eggs, and the sectarian nonsense, and the football hooliganism, and the alcohol culture, and the queues outside the broo on a thursday, and the wee jake balls standing at the side of the road offering to "watch" your car for you, and GC's mildly racist uncle Dougie........................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 10 Jul 2015, 6:12 pm

...And the constant temptation to yawn when folk from the East are talking from their second mouths...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 10 Jul 2015, 9:38 pm

I do think the wing situation at Glasgow will need some focus if Big T pulls out, and the concern must be that the best players are now spoken for. Next season there's Seymour, Hughes, Jones and Lamont on the books, but only Seymour is an international standard player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 11 Jul 2015, 6:41 am

tigertattie wrote:and the deep fried easter eggs, and the sectarian nonsense, and the football hooliganism, and the alcohol culture, and the queues outside the broo on a thursday, and the wee jake balls standing at the side of the road offering to "watch" your car for you, and GC's mildly racist uncle Dougie........................
To be fair, he has been allowed out far less frequently recently. I would put that down to finding out a local bus driver was Somali and greeting him with "I'm the captain now".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 13 Jul 2015, 9:09 am

George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:and the deep fried easter eggs, and the sectarian nonsense, and the football hooliganism, and the alcohol culture, and the queues outside the broo on a thursday, and the wee jake balls standing at the side of the road offering to "watch" your car for you, and GC's mildly racist uncle Dougie........................
To be fair, he has been allowed out far less frequently recently. I would put that down to finding out a local bus driver was Somali and greeting him with "I'm the captain now".

Laugh

"uncle Dougie is the captain of our ship, of our ship......................."
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Mon 13 Jul 2015, 9:25 am

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/glasgow-warriors/player/taqele-naiyaravoro

Updated squad list is out for Glasgow & Ediburgh. Warriors have included big Tacky but poor old Hugh Blake is on neither list. What kind of way is this to treat a 22yr old who has moved his whole life to the other side of the world?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 13 Jul 2015, 10:27 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/glasgow-warriors/player/taqele-naiyaravoro

Updated squad list is out for Glasgow & Ediburgh. Warriors have included big Tacky but poor old Hugh Blake is on neither list. What kind of way is this to treat a 22yr old who has moved his whole life to the other side of the world?

Fear not Wiz, Toonie has a plan.

Tacky is not coming, just won't happen now.

Blake can run really fast, and has played 7's for Glasgow.

Anyday now Toonie will be putting an arm round young Hugh's shoulder and saying how Richie V is the happiest rugby player in the world since he moved into the centres, and unfortunately we have plenty of 13's but luckily we do have an opening for a winger.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Jul 2015, 11:47 am

Hugh Blake as a winger. A plan so crazy it might just work.

Seriously though, please try it......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 13 Jul 2015, 11:57 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Hugh Blake as a winger. A plan so crazy it might just work.

Seriously though, please try it......

The magic of Toonie is that there's nothing we could come up with on this thread that he hasn't already considered. He shared a few of his more outre ideas with Schiz while interviewing him for the post of Director of Public Relations ( East Coast Franchise).

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:04 pm

Gregor Townsend: "Morning Nathan, what's happening?"

Nathan Bombrys: "Oh you know, just eating fried chicken and watching the season ticket money roll in. What do you need?"

GT: "You know Naiyaravoro?"

NB: "yeah, the big f****r.

GT: "Well, I was just wondering what we do if he isn't coming."

NB: "He's coming Gregor. His profile's on the website and everything."

GT: "I know, Nathan, I saw that. It looked good. Admittedly, he's pictured wearing the shirt of the team we're trying to get him to leave. So, I've been thinking..."

NB: "Oh God. Gregor, you know I've told you not to do that. Every time you come up with an idea about selection, one of my beard hairs turns gray."

GT: "I'd like to play Hugh Blake on the wing."

NB: "No, Gregor"

GT: "Yes, but..."

NB: "Seriously, leave the room."

GT: "OK Nathan, perhaps you're right. One more thing."

NB: [sighs] "What?"

GT: "Rocket-powered roller-skates."

NB: "I'm taking you to the vet.

Exeunt
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

Edinburgh have updated their player lists on the website

Du Preez is there for next season.

Looks like Tomás Leonardi, Farndale and Hilterbrand haven't had thier contracts extended and Ben Atiga now just a coach.

Squad list (excluding Academy players)

Hookers
Neil Cochrane
Ross Ford
Stuart McInally
George Turner

Props
John Andress
Simon Berghan
Jack Cosgrove
Allan Dell
Alasdair Dickinson
Grant Shiells
WP Nel

Locks
Anton Bresler
Grant Gilchrist
Fraser McKenzie
Alex Toolis
Ben Toolis

Loose Forwards
Magnus Bradbury
Mike Coman (c)
David Denton
Cornell du Preez
Roddy Grant
Nasi Manu
Jamie Ritchie
Hamish Watson

Half Backs
Nathan Fowles
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
Sean Kennedy

Stand offs
Blair Kinghorn
Greig Tonks
Jade Te Rure

Centres
Michael Allen
Sam Beard
Phil Burleigh
Chris Dean
Matt Scott
Andries Strauss

Back Three
Tom Brown
Jack Cuthbert
Dougie Fife
Will Helu
Damien Hoyland
Nick McLennan

Last edited by cp10 on Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:16 pm; edited 4 times in total

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

IanBru wrote:Gregor Townsend: "Morning Nathan, what's happening?"

Nathan Bombrys: "Oh you know, just eating fried chicken and watching the season ticket money roll in. What do you need?"

GT: "You know Naiyaravoro?"

NB: "yeah, the big f****r.

GT: "Well, I was just wondering what we do if he isn't coming."

NB: "He's coming Gregor. His profile's on the website and everything."

GT: "I know, Nathan, I saw that. It looked good. Admittedly, he's pictured wearing the shirt of the team we're trying to get him to leave. So, I've been thinking..."

NB: "Oh God. Gregor, you know I've told you not to do that. Every time you come up with an idea about selection, one of my beard hairs turns gray."

GT: "I'd like to play Hugh Blake on the wing."

NB: "No, Gregor"

GT: "Yes, but..."

NB: "Seriously, leave the room."

GT: "OK Nathan, perhaps you're right. One more thing."

NB: [sighs] "What?"

GT: "Rocket-powered roller-skates."

NB: "I'm taking you to the vet.

Exeunt
clap Keep them coming.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:28 pm

cp10 wrote:Edinburgh have updated their player lists on the website

Du Preez is there for next season.

Looks like Tomás Leonardi, Farndale and Hilterbrand haven't had thier contracts extended and Ben Atiga now just a coach.

Squad list (excluding Academy players)

Hookers
Neil Cochrane
Ross Ford
Stuart McInally

George Turner

Props
John Andress
Simon Berghan
Jack Cosgrove
Allan Dell
Alasdair Dickinson
Grant Shiells
WP Nel

Locks
Anton Bresler
Grant Gilchrist
Fraser McKenzie
Alex Toolis
Ben Toolis

Loose Forwards
Magnus Bradbury
Mike Coman (c)
David Denton
Cornell du Preez
Roddy Grant
Nasi Manu
Jamie Ritchie
Hamish Watson

Half Backs
Nathan Fowles
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
Sean Kennedy

Stand offs
Blair Kinghorn
Greig Tonks
Jade Te Rure

Centres
Michael Allen
Sam Beard
Phil Burleigh
Chris Dean
Matt Scott
Andries Strauss

Back Three
Tom Brown
Jack Cuthbert
Dougie Fife
Will Helu
Damien Hoyland
Nick McLennan

Not a bad squad all things considered. I've highlighted people who are potentially going to be away at the WC (taking a punt), and that still leaves us in a pretty good position.

Our depth (or lack of) at 10 is frightening though - especially given the 3rd name on that list!  Doh

Burleigh can do a turn at 10, but that isn't ideal because it would mean Strauss at 12...

Depth in the backs isn't great in general, and that could continue to be a real inhibitor for a top 6 place.  Hopefully Dean and Hoyland have a breakthrough season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:44 pm

Jeez - Fraser McKenzie, eh? Has there been a more absent player for Edinburgh?
I think that only Nicky Walker has done less in the red and black.

Agree with RDW - it is terribly worrying that the best of our 10s is not a specialist 10 and none of them are genuinely international quality. It's paper thin in that position and just odd that guys like Frazier Climo who was one of the best 10s in the Hydo Prem is now languishing at Scarlets making the odd appearance from the bench.

Makes me think it should be Edinburgh signing Clegg if that in fact is what is going to happen.

If I was Duncan Weir, I would be looking along the M8....
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

It isn't a bad squad - the big weakness as you say is 10, where the prospect of Te Rure linking up with Strauss at 12 is pure Haloween.

The pack looks really strong, with a great blend of seasoned pro and youth - and a high proportion of SQ as well. If it's the forwards that genuinely do decide the outcome of the match, then we'll do well next season (and the 1872 may as well be handed to us now).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:47 pm

George Carlin wrote:Jeez - Fraser McKenzie, eh? Has there been a more absent player for Edinburgh?

I'd say that is both harsh and inaccurate - McKenzie was involved in most 23 man squads this year, generally off the bench, but he was still heavily involved. if it wasn't for Solomons' (non) rotation policy he would have had a lot more.

Nikki Walker didn't play a single game - there is a vast chasm of a difference!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:48 pm

George Carlin wrote:If I was Duncan Weir, I would be looking along the M8....

For rugby reasons, or just basic aspiration?

Weir would actually fit in well with the Solomons game plan. He can certainly kick the ball higher in the air than any of our fly halves - job done!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Jul 2015, 1:53 pm

McKenzie is an important part of the squad in my book. Gilchrist was a sick note last season and although a stalwart for Edinburgh so far, Bresler has a nasty injury record. I also think that Ben Toolis will be making his way into Scotland squads more regularly in future, as Cotter rapidly realises the limitations of Tim Swinson at that level, and Jim Hamilton does something rash which is ultimately frowned upon by the Criminal Justice Act.

McKenzie is a solid and consistant performer. Gets through a ton of work and is actually pretty swift for a lock.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 13 Jul 2015, 2:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Jeez - Fraser McKenzie, eh? Has there been a more absent player for Edinburgh?

I'd say that is both harsh and inaccurate - McKenzie was involved in most 23 man squads this year, generally off the bench, but he was still heavily involved.  if it wasn't for Solomons' (non) rotation policy he would have had a lot more.

Are you suggesting that I am the sort of person who would exaggerate for comic effect?
( Very Happy )
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Jul 2015, 3:02 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

I'd say that is both harsh and inaccurate - McKenzie was involved in most 23 man squads this year, generally off the bench, but he was still heavily involved.  if it wasn't for Solomons' (non) rotation policy he would have had a lot more.

Are you suggesting that I am the sort of person who would exaggerate for comic effect?
( Very Happy )

Is that what it was? Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next