The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST

+2
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST Empty Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:50 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A FOURTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THE NATWEST T20 BLAST GAME AGAINST THE KENT SPITFIRES AT THE KIA OVAL ON FRIDAY.
Tim Linley returns to the Surrey squad after being recalled from his loan spell at Sussex Very Happy and Freddie Van den Bergh and Dominic Sibley are named in a T20 squad for the first time this season.
Moises Henriques and Rory Burns are both unavailable for selection after their on field collision at Arundel and Steven Davies is still recovering from his hand injury. Arun Harinath has not been considered for selection after reporting a slight soreness in his hamstring after the Championship game against Glamorgan.
The Surrey squad to play the Kent Spitfires at the Kia Oval in the NatWest T20 Blast on Friday 19th June:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Tim Linley
Azhar Mahmood
Dominic Sibley
Vikram Solanki
Freddie Van den Bergh
Gary Wilson
hard to call the 3 to miss out you would think the viscount would miss out as this form of the game does not suit him also maybe burger van and the younger curran.
over to you guys thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST Empty Re: Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:45 pm

Isn't that essentially every available senior player in the squad lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST Empty Re: Surrey vs Kent Spitfires NATWEST T20 BLAST

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:37 am

Olly wrote:Isn't that essentially every available senior player in the squad lol

Bar Meaker who I think is available although seemed shot at Guildford. Assuming he is available, his omission says a lot - none of it good.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:48 am

sad to think he played for england in that form of the game

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:32 am

jimbobgooner wrote:sad to think he played for england in that form of the game

Don't remember that?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 am

Another one destroyed by Loughborough
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 pm

The batting order is definitely going to be interesting with Burns due to open last week and KP also missing alongside Davies, Roy and Sanga.

Sibley doesn't strike me as a top order T20 player but he may have to make himself one! Or Ansari may be given a chance higher up the order to display his one day striking.

1.Foakes
2.Wilson (wk)
3.Solanki
4.Ansari
5.Mahmood
6.Sibley
7.Kapil
8.Burke
9.Batty (c)
10.T Curran
11.Dunn

I wonder what odds we'd have given one another if someone had predicted that side at the start of the season. Erm

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:49 pm

At a wedding chaps keep me informed Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Kent 64-2 in the 7th. 2 for Ansari so far. Both Currans are playing - and thankfully Mahmood is not - but unfortunately Batty is!!!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi jimbob - cheers for the page as always.

I'm going to be out in a bit so wont be able to keep you updated all night unfortunately.

Thus far though, the side picked is even stranger than I thought it would be with Curran the even younger making his debut (will Curran the embryo be featuring next season?) and Linley recalled to the starting XI. Kapil is also down to open:

Benjamin Foakes
Aneesh Kapil
Gary Wilson (W)
Zafar Ansari
Vikram Solanki
James Burke
Samuel Curran
Gareth Batty (C)
Thomas Curran
Timothy Linley
Matthew Dunn

Kent won the toss and decided to bat.

They are currently 76-2 from 7.3 overs with Ansari taking both wickets. The score's moving quickly but we have just removed Northeast, who has been excellent this season, for 32 from 19 balls.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:02 pm

88 for 2 from 9 now with spin looking our best bet.

Ansari has 3-0-22-2

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Look extremely short on batting I must say
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:18 pm

111-4 from 12 overs

Burke picking up the wicket of Bell-Drummond who was playing well.

12 overs in and we have used 7 bowlers. Erm

Kapil hasn''t bowled yet either. Go on Norah, don't make him feel left out! Laugh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Also, I hadn't realised that Sam Curran was a left armer. That could add a good variation to the attack if he continues to develop.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Yeah it's not pretty
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:12 pm

STEVENS mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:18 pm

It's always Stevens!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:25 pm

What does Kapil really bring to the table?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:07 pm

I severely dislike Darren Stevens
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Once again it's Stevens that does for us!

I've been out since my post at 111-4 from 12 overs in the Kent innings.

My thoughts then were that they are scoring fast but if we can keep taking wickets we might be able to hold them to 180. Looking at the scorecard and the jump from 111 when the 4th wicket fell to 220 in the final over when the 5th wicket fell. I think it's safe for me to assume that Stevens just slaughtered us!

The bowling figures make odd reading to me however with spin not given another go after Ansaris 3rd over despite him having the best bowling figures by far. Plus the only Batty over went for 9, which in the scope of this game isn't bad.

With the injuries, Curran and Kapil opening with Solanki down the order, 7 bowlers used in 12 overs and our place at the bottom of the south group firmly solidified it does feel a bit like Ford, Stewart and co have made the not too surprising decision to put T20 cricket on the back burner for this season and see what fringe players can offer.

In that light it is good to see that Curran got a quickfire 40 opening the batting to show his all round credentials aren't the myth we were starting to fear. It's also promising to see that Ansari doesn't seem to have a problem switching mind sets for the different formats as he followed up his 91 runs from 265 balls in the first innings against Glamorgan, with 33 from 18 balls this evening.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Yeah it's a shame but the T20 campaign has been derailed before it ever left the station - the injuries and unavailability were just too much to overcome this time.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Yep Olly.

'...but if your side were missing these players you'd struggle as well', is an excuse often thrown out in these situations and hence often ignored.

However, whilst it can be pointed out that we knew:

- Roy could be missing for parts of this season
- Sanga would be on international duty at the moment
- KP was always likely to be a bit of a gimmick this season. A fantastic player to have when available and committed before we start that argument, but still one only playing county cricket for a well known reason
- Tremlett is a glass statue

We could not have predicted the simultaneous loss of Davies, Burns, Henriques, Meaker and Dernbach as well. For those five to be unavailable at the same time as the others is frankly a bit ridiculous!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:43 am

Azhar Mahmood was not available due to a back problem

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:45 am

Harinath had a tight hamstring as well I read
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:00 am

What a performance by Darren Stevens!
Surprised by Surrey's failure in this comp so far

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:17 pm

meaker was available but clearly out of favour

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:52 pm

What's the point of Batty playing if he only bowls one over
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down