The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados

3 posters

Go down

Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados Empty Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:57 pm

Anyone who watched the fight card Live from Dublin on Boxnation on Friday night was deliverd an absolute treat, as Belfasts' Jamie Conlan took on tough Mexican challenger Junior Granados in defence of his WBO Inter-Contenintal Super Flyweight crown.

In a candidate for fight of the year, the young Irish champion found it hard to get a foot hold in the fight as it see-sawed from one round to the next, with Mexican underdog Granados continually walking his man down looking to land that big shot.

And that big shot was delivered in the 7th Round as Jamie Conlan hit the canvas for the first time in his career from a wicked body shot, rising to his feet at a count of 9, Jamie battled on, and was pinned to the ropes with a barrage of shot raining down on him, and only for the generousity of experienced ref Mickey Vann it may have been stopped. Jamie hit the canvans again, and many thought that there was no way he could get to his feet after that.

However roared on by a raucas home crowd Jamie banged his fists off the canvas, and beat the count at 9 again, and saved by the bell he slumped to his stool. His cornermen in a state of shock asking if he wanted to continue, and following up with "Then show me what your made of", needing to win the last 3 rounds, Jamie showed uts and determination that I havent seen in the ring since the great Michael Gomez v Alex Arthur fight of 2003.

Conlan managed to win the last three rounds, taking a very close unanimous points decision (I had it 95-93 myself) much to the delight of the crowd, who acted a second man for most of the fight.

Afterward Conlan described Granados as "being able to hit like a mule" and his face was testimony to that!

Conlan may now need a long lay off, before gunning for Liverpools Paul Butler as he aims to secure the British Title after what can only be described as a huge learning fight in which we learnt alot about Jamie's heart and will to win on a memorable night for Irish boxing.

It was simply superb, the hairs on my neck still havent went down - if you get a chance to watch a re-run please do it, you will not regret it.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados Empty Re: Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados

Post by hazharrison Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:23 pm

Looking forward to catching up with this one. Butler vs Conlan would be a belter. I think I'd buiy a ticket for that one, depending where it lands. A Frampton undercard would be like Christmas.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados Empty Re: Fight of the Year 2015 - Conlan v Granados

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

Yeah Haz, based on that performance from Conlan, I may favour Butler slightly, but it remains to be seen how much Tetteh took out of Butler in their last fight too.

Yeah I would urge all the 606ers to watch that one from Friday night, its my front runner for FOTY so far.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:42 pm

I caught Conlan last year in Belfast and he got himself involved in a real ding dong with Mexican Jose Estrella. Wayne McCullough used to be the same. These wars will catch up with him eventually but with his nickname, I guess he has something to live up to!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 06 Jul 2015, 4:19 pm

Watched it last night, fantastic fight from start to finish. Would like to applaud the referee Mickey Vann who let the action go in round 7, can't think of any other UK referee who would've let that continue, Conlan albeit in deep trouble was catching and riding a lot of shots and Vann had the experience to notice this, top class.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 4:23 pm

There is an argument, and Steve Lillis made the point after the fight, that it should have been stopped as Conlan didnt throw back during the barrage, and it did lead to his second knockdown, do you feel it could or should have been stopped Rodders?

Agreed btw, Mickey Vann showed his class throughout the evening, and he is a credit to our sport, during a time when the refs arent doing themselves any justice in recent fights....

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down