The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurryfan
Corporalhumblebucket
SimonofSurrey
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A TWELVE MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST DERBYSHIRE STARTING AT THE KIA OVAL ON TUESDAY.
Kumar Sangakkara returns to the squad having recently played his final Test Match for Sri Lanka.Jason Roy is unavailable having been selected by England for the One Day Series against Australia.
The Surrey squad to play Derbyshire in the LV=County Championship at the Kia Oval on Tuesday 1st September, Wednesday 2nd September, Thursday 3rd September and Friday 4th September :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
can't see dunn in that 12 guildford #itk Wink
tough to call this one a good argument for wilson,burke or harinath to miss out
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:32 pm

every surrey player into double figures one for corporal when the last time that happened

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY vs DERBYSHIRE LV=COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by king_carlos Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:32 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Durston's a part time offie, a decent one but still a part timer, isn't he jimbob?
i meant palladino Wink

Laugh He's actually a county pro I've always had a lot of respect for and rated quite highly. Hug

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:35 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:to think tom coming in at 10 today and opening in the semi final shows our batting strength Very Happy

Which semi did Curran open in?

Or has it already been confirmed he will on the 7th with Le Roi away on England duty?
thumbsup

1.Interesting
2.Pitt the younger
3.Sanga
4.Third Degree
5.That's All
6.Harold (wk)
7.Son of Boris
8.Burke
9.Pitt the even younger still
10.Norah (c)
11.Dernbach

Are we expecting something like that then jimbob?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:41 pm

king_carlos wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:to think tom coming in at 10 today and opening in the semi final shows our batting strength Very Happy

Which semi did Curran open in?

Or has it already been confirmed he will on the 7th with Le Roi away on England duty?
thumbsup

1.Interesting
2.Pitt the younger
3.Sanga
4.Third Degree
5.That's All
6.Harold (wk)
7.Son of Boris
8.Burke
9.Pitt the even younger still
10.Norah (c)
11.Dernbach

Are we expecting something like that then jimbob?
100% OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Batty getting in on the fun now with a quickfire 26* including a 6.

536-9

A lead of 224. If we could add a few more in the same sort of time then nip a couple out then we will have had just about the perfect 'moving day' I'd have reasonably hoped for at the start of the day.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:52 pm

It's probably the wrong thread for it but one thing that delights me about this squad is the number of players, especially young ones, who contribute in all three formats.

Roy, Burns, Ansari, Foakes, Burke and T + S Curran are all young players who contribute excellently in all formats of the game.

Dernbach seems to be fading in FC cricket slightly and question marks over when we will see Meaker and Dunn again are becoming increasingly concerning however.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:54 pm

50 partnership clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:58 pm

king_carlos wrote:It's probably the wrong thread for it but one thing that delights me about this squad is the number of players, especially young ones, who contribute in all three formats.

Roy, Burns, Ansari, Foakes, Burke and T + S Curran are all young players who contribute excellently in all formats of the game.

Dernbach seems to be fading in FC cricket slightly and question marks over when we will see Meaker and Dunn again are becoming increasingly concerning however.
not sure about dunn carlos Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 pm

all out for 560 a lead of 247 Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Excellent days play from Surrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Olly wrote:Excellent days play from Surrey

Not sure anyone here would disagree Olly, that's a cracking understatement.

I assume we batted on because the weather was unlikely to allow us to have a second crack at Derbys late in the day. Tomorrow's forecast has bucked up a bit from predictions earlier this week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6545174

Another day like today - for us and Lancs - could see us take over at the top and confirm promotion. If that come to be, it's not a bad way to prepare for the big game on monday.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Back from watching a really enjoyable day's play at the Oval.  Excellent company in the pavilion as well! Ale Ale

Surrey batted really well down the innings.  The highlight for me was the innings of Pitt the Even Younger.  Very fluent, with an array of cleanly hit boundaries, and solid defensive strokes.  OK, the bowling by that stage was not all that threatening - but he really does look every bit the front line batsman and not a tail ender.

Harold played well earlier in the day, scoring quite briskly.  Ansari scored a very solid century, playing the bowling on its merits. Overall he had very few false strokes, and he did a good job in navigating the innings through tough conditions for much of the morning session against the new ball in overcast conditions.

Burke - well we made it that he was dropped four times, twice before he had scored, and then again on about 21.  None of these first three chances appeared all that difficult and they all went stright to or close to first slip.  But Burke went on to play some good strokes.

Batty (in particular) and Tom Curran then added useful runs at the end.

Durston bowled very well for long periods at a time and was deserving of an impressive haul. The Derbys faster bowlers (apart from Milnes) bowled well. Milnes, Critchley and Hughes were relatively easy for the batsmen to get away.

We were somewhat surprised that Surrey did not declare with about 50 mins/an hour to go, but once that point was passed the light was closing in.

Surrey built and paced their innings well.  An overall scoring rate of just over 3.5 on a pitch that was described yesterday as "attritional" is very acceptable.  Finally, it's worth emphasising that Surrey's last 5 wickets put on 388, so that really is a big improvement on how things were not that long ago.  clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:36 pm

An excellent report from the Corporal...I concur 100% about the good company in the pavilion today too Very Happy

not much I can add to the report save to say it was a truly excellent performance from Surrey today... You wouldn't describe their batting as spectacular... But I would use words like skilful, sensible, effective...wickets were not thrown away with reckless shots...at times the Derby bowling was tight and easy runs were not to be had..so the batsman dug in and were very patient... Today was the first time I have seen Surrey this season...and the Div 2 table does not lie...they deserve to be where they are... And who knows..with a bit of scoreboard pressure for Derby tomorrow, by tomorrow evening we could be officially promoted Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:43 pm

As the Corporal suggests, a wonderful moving day - thanks for those references, Carlos! Very Happy To think it looked last night that we might be behind on first innings.Shocked

A perfect summary from the Corporal who with his fellow soldier Chichester certainly provided excellent company.

The Corporal is definitely right to praise Sam Curran. A lovely innings and just what we wanted at the time. JimBob suggested earlier that it might have been nerves that did for him as a maiden half-century beckoned. It was actually his own unselfish attitude - disregarding his own score, slashing at a ball for quick runs for the team and being well taken at slip (unlucky as well that butterfingers Chesney was no longer fielding there!).

Finally, Olly - have a look at the report on cricinfo. They seem on board with #ansariforengland. thumbsup

Nearly there.

PS Top notch report as well from Chichester - not seen when I first posted.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:52 pm

#ansariforengland is happening folks - it's actually gonna happen! And with the Currans and Roy in the wings, we could have potentially 4 future England stars on our hands
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:44 am

Olly wrote:#ansariforengland is happening folks - it's actually gonna happen! And with the Currans and Roy in the wings, we could have potentially 4 future England stars on our hands

He's not getting much press but I wouldn't write off Burns' chances in the future either.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:39 am

SAM CURRAN IS AWESOME
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:47 am

Olly wrote:SAM CURRAN IS AWESOME

AS IS TOM CURRAN

Derbyshire are 0-2!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Two early wickets to the Pitts! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:08 pm

And now Chesney Hughes run out! Shocked Shocked Anyone hear how that happened?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:And now Chesney Hughes run out! Shocked Shocked  Anyone hear how that happened?

It's "gonna be tough" now Chesney has gone #chesneyhawkesreferencesflying
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:And now Chesney Hughes run out! Shocked Shocked  Anyone hear how that happened?

No but Chesney has had a terrible last couple of days. What was it yesterday? Three drops at slip and 3 overs which a random pensioner dragged off the Harleyford Road could have bowled better!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:19 pm

93-3 now - could do with breaking this partnership.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:21 pm

And Norah promptly does!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:27 pm

And another!

Batty often seems to have been quiet when bowling in the first innings but effective second dig.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Three quick wickets to Norah! clap This could be the Day.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
... I'll look on the bright side and say that (on paper) Derbys don't bat deep. Teenage keeper Harvey Hosein (wonderful name) is at 6 with a fc average of just 17. He's then followed by a young leggie and a gaggle of seamers ...

Getting ready to brag or jinx it! Wink

Nearly there.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm

108-6

If someone can whip Madsen out then we are into a long tail. Very Happy

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:45 pm

king_carlos wrote:108-6

Oi, Carlos - I know you gave me the copyright for ''moving day'' but that's my line as well! Very Happy

Meanwhile, Lancs lose a 4th wicket.

All looking good.

Nearly there.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:45 pm

With Lancs still trailing by 173 with 6 wickets remaining we should be taking that top spot as well for a bonus!

Lancs have 3 bonus points from the first innings so a tie would take them to 237 points.

Surrey have 6 bonus points from first innings so a win would take us to 238 points.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Oi, Carlos - I know you gave me the copyright for ''moving day'' but that's my line as well! Very Happy

All looking good.

Nearly there.

Credit again to Mr Bat there Hug

Moving day is a phrase I have grown fond of this season however. Until you drew my attention to it I have never really respected just how often the side that wins the third day goes onto win the match in CC cricket.

Of course this is exagerated by the mismatches often seen in CC these days that see sides win matches within three days. It is still a very good measure of where a match is heading however.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:39 pm

149-9

Madsen is still there but Batty has run through the lower middle order and tail with 5-51 Very Happy clap clap

Get the bar open Corporal!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Norah secures promotion with a hat trick!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm

clap clap Ale Ale RedWine RedWine Very Happy Very Happy

Norah once again coming to the party in the second innings secures promotion.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Great performance all round!! Who-hooooh!! Very Happy

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 pm

That is a magnificent way to secure promotion! Norah   clap  clap  clap  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo Help yourself from the bar!

Ale Ale Ale Ale guinness guinness guinness guinness cider cider cider cider RedWine RedWine RedWine RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky

What a brilliant season we've had in the champtionship.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm awaiting the interview with Norah when he praises the contribution of everyone, including the catering team. Wink cake cake cake coffee coffee coffee

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:10 pm

i've drunk too much already corporal vomit

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Congrats on promotion guys.

Hope we are playing you next year....

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:16 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on promotion guys.

Hope we are playing you next year....

Thanks Jimbo thumbsup That's looking quite likely now. Sussex just about to beat Worcs - last wicket partnership now at the crease - despite valiant rearguard effort from Joe Clarke on 97*

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Meanwhile Lancs having a good go at hanging on for the draw - even if it's not exactly champagne cricket. 5th wicket partnership so far scored 37 runs off 28.4 overs. The previous partnership managed 29 runs off 19.5 overs.... zzzzzz

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:43 pm

also 100th first class wkt for son of boris clap #ansariforengland

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 pm

Good interview with Norah on the Surrey website - even if he did forget to mention the catering staff!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Just back from work...did snatch about 10 mins commentary at lunchtime here and heard the 6th wicket go down.....fantastic performance....thoroughly well deserved...let's hope we can take the Championship  and the Royal London Cup. Or is that being a bit greedy....today's Derbyshire batting performance in stark contrast to Surrey's yesterday!!  corporal ..make mine a double! Yahoo Bubbly Bubbly

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:48 pm

...and 3 overs which a random pensioner dragged off the Harleyford Road could have bowled better![

A bit harsh that Guldford about Chesney's bowling but entirely true Yahoo
Do we know how Chesney got run out today?? It could hardly have been a worse 2 days for him could it?!!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:01 pm

king_carlos wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

All looking good.

Nearly there.

Credit again to Mr Bat there Hug

Moving day is a phrase I have grown fond of this season however. Until you drew my attention to it I have never really respected just how often the side that wins the third day goes onto win the match in CC cricket.

Of course this is exagerated by the mismatches often seen in CC these days that see sides win matches within three days. It is still a very good measure of where a match is heading however.

Thanks again, Carlos. thumbsup

I doubt that many cricket sayings spoken these days are original. I first heard ''moving day'' spoken about by Johnny Barran - Churchy's co-commentator at times. Yes, I do like the term and, as you suggest, it can so often be appropriate. Certainly in this match.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Meanwhile, just to say the path hasn't always been easy but we are there. Hug

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote: ........
I doubt that many cricket sayings spoken these days are original. I first heard ''moving day'' spoken about by Johnny Barran - Churchy's co-commentator at times. Yes, I do like the term and, as you suggest, it can so often be appropriate. Certainly in this match.

For what it's worth I had thought "moving day" was a term borrowed from golf where it had long been used in relation to the typical four round tournament where, on the penulitmate day, players who had beaten the cut sought to set themselves up to be well positioned towards the top of the leaderboard for their final round.  No reason why it shouldn't apply to four day cricket as well.  Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Worth pointing out that we now have won 5 out of 6 since our only defeat (in mid-June to Glamorgan). And we had the upper hand in the rain affected 6th game, a draw at Glos. This has become a very high performing and consistent squad. It will be fascinating to see how our youngsters go next year at the significantly higher level of CC1 - and how many of this squad get call ups for England or the Lions this winter. Best case scenario suggests up to half a dozen.

Meanwhile, we are joined in CC1 next year by Lancs, whose promotion today could scarcely have been less similar: we won with a flourish by an innings as our captain concluded proceedings with a hat trick, while they clung on for a draw having been outplayed by Kent from the word go.

If we can beat them in our game there the week after next, we would be Champions with a game to spare. If we can avoid defeat, we are very likely still to be in the driving seat with one round of games to go.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:11 pm

PS: another new cricketing expression - 'wasted effort' = buying Day 5 tickets for an Ashes Test in England Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next