The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh injury list is serious...

+45
wrfc1980
whocares
No 7&1/2
chris_501
wayne
jammoboss
Breadvan
GavCanDance
George Carlin
Pot Hale
McLaren
SimonofSurrey
Notch
TightHEAD
Sin é
eirebilly
Duty281
Hammersmith harrier
flyhalffactory
MarcusHalberstram
GunsGerms
BamBam
Luckless Pedestrian
Fanster
Dontheman2
Gwlad
mikey_dragon
wales606
maestegmafia
kingjohn7
Gooseberry
GavinDragon
funnyExiledScot
majesticimperialman
beshocked
bedfordwelsh
munkian
Shifty
lostinwales
fa0019
SecretFly
LordDowlais
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
No9
49 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Welsh injury list is serious... - Page 3 Empty Welsh injury list is serious...

Post by No9 Wed 2 Sep - 22:01

First topic message reminder :

Well it looks like I've been done up like a kipper by a mate of mine... Usually he is spot on, but this time he is way off the mark or there is some clever tactics being played here.

Either way, my opening post now appears to be complete crud. But, as I live and die by my convictions, I'm leaving my opening post unedited below, so all can see what sh!t can sometimes come from my keyboard.

One thing I will add. Is I hope the reports today, that Warbs is fit, AWJ out for only a week and Liam ready for training is correct.

---------Original Post--------------------------------------
Just heard (from a reliable source - don't believe me, just wait and see), that AWJ injury is really a bad one, and he isn't expected to make a recovery before the end of the group stages. Also, Warbs injury is being played down, but advice from the medical teams is saying 6-8 weeks, and it looks like Liam Williams is estimated at another 8 weeks.

Not looking good for those players, but Tips is a good understudy for Warbs and Halfpenny wasn't ever going to be moved from 15, but where are we going to cover Alun Wyn...

Last edited by No9 on Thu 3 Sep - 22:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Standing up to be counted... :-()

No9

Back to top Go down

Welsh injury list is serious... - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh injury list is serious...

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 7 Sep - 22:50

RubyGuby wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:What is the news on Halfpenny and Webb's injuries?

Well they play any part in the RWC?

It will be a big shame if they don't.

Webb: Out probably for the season

Halfpenny - There's talk of a possible but unlikely come back in 3 weeks

thumbsdown

Beeb news still reporting that nothing new and no confirmed results have come out of camp yet. Everything still speculation.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Welsh injury list is serious... - Page 3 Empty Re: Welsh injury list is serious...

Post by maestegmafia Mon 7 Sep - 23:47

Unless he is injured they can't replace Cuthbert.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Mon 7 Sep - 23:53

Cuthbert is vrplaying at his strengths and that is making him look awfull.

He has never been a good rugby playing winger, but he was always a weapon, this weapon is trying to do things he cannot in the hope something comes off, and it hasn't / won't!

Once he relaxes and just does the basics he'll become usefull again, sadly theres no room for passegers at the RWC.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 8 Sep - 0:06

His attempted 'grid iron' try was laughable, not sure how Parisse kept a straight face
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Tue 8 Sep - 0:21

munkian wrote:His attempted 'grid iron' try was laughable, not sure how Parisse kept a straight face

It did create a huge laughter in the pub I watched the game in, on the replay...

The term 'Candy from a baby' was used

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Sep - 1:04

munkian wrote:I guess Uruguay might give him some confidence again - he is a bit of a flat track bully

And if it doesn't, and he's ruled out of contention for the England game on the grounds of still being dreadful, then we also have to rule out Amos, who won't have had the game time he could have had against Italy and Uruguay. Two for one.

Even if Cuthbert does show signs of improvement against Uruguay (assuming he plays), I wouldn't play him against England. Jonny May's in the form of his life and if Tommy Bowe can't handle him, Cuthbert sure as hell won't be able to.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 8 Sep - 1:32

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
munkian wrote:I guess Uruguay might give him some confidence again - he is a bit of a flat track bully

And if it doesn't, and he's ruled out of contention for the England game on the grounds of still being dreadful, then we also have to rule out Amos, who won't have had the game time he could have had against Italy and Uruguay. Two for one.

Even if Cuthbert does show signs of improvement against Uruguay (assuming he plays), I wouldn't play him against England. Jonny May's in the form of his life and if Tommy Bowe can't handle him, Cuthbert sure as hell won't be able to.

I think it was more a case of Tommy Bowe having a dreadful day at the office ( along with most of their players) than May re-writing the book of wing play
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 8 Sep - 1:35

I wonder if James Hook could be in for a recall, given his ablility to cover 10, centre and fullback - and kick goals. With all these injuries he might be worth a shout.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 8 Sep - 1:44

FB yes - 10 nooooope
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Sep - 1:51

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

I think it was more a case of Tommy Bowe having a dreadful day at the office ( along with most of their players) than May re-writing the book of wing play

Maybe so, but if May can bounce Bowe off in the tackle, and skin him on the outside, I'd be having kittens every time he had the ball against Cuthbert.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 8 Sep - 1:55

The French paper L'Equipe is reporting Halfpenny has a torn ACL and is out for 6 months minimum

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 8 Sep - 2:34

Saw Halfpenny is out for 6 months.. real shame. He is one of those players that should be at the WC.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 8 Sep - 2:43

I haven't been this depressed for years... Four years, in fact! Call me negative and defeatist, but it's impossible not to feel like someone up there has it in for us. Gutted for everyone in the team, the fans, and of course Halfpenny and Webb. I'd love to think we could still triumph in the face of such adversity and still get out of the group, but with such a bare-bones back division it's now looking very unlikely - especially given that we're bound to pick up more injuries in the group games. Just really killed the whole event for me before it's even started.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Sep - 2:51

I'm not too down about it.

I wish the injuries hadn't happened, of course, but it could be a lot worse.

We still have an excellent goal kicker in Dan Biggar, we'll get to see Liam Williams in his best position, and Gareth Davies is a fine, try-scoring scrum half in his own right.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 8 Sep - 2:52

I wouldnt rule yourself out yet. Biggar is a really good goal kicker. Also is Liam Williams your reserve 15? If so I think Wales will adjust ok.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 8 Sep - 3:07

Biggar is an excellent kicker and not far behind 1/2p in consistency these days.

So then its down to who is the better FB, massively difficult choice if Liam Williams and 1/2p was fully fit. I think Williams (if you take away the dead ball kicking) is the better 15, and if anything 1/2p would have to move to his original position of winger.

Gareth Davies is a good scrum half and will not let Wales down if called upon, Mike Phillips if called up will be a fantastic impact sub (as well as covering centre).

Just been told that 1/2p is out of the world cup...... Massive shame
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 8 Sep - 3:12

Massive shame that Halfpenny is going to miss out, was hoping the injury wasn't as bad as it looked.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 8 Sep - 3:39

A big shame about Halfpenny. Really hoped his injurie was not all that bad to be honest.

Any one think Hook will get a call up? or is his day with the Welsh team done and dusted?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 8 Sep - 3:46

Both now out. You can't second guess on Webb, but Halfpenny is a major management balls up who should never have been playing so heavily strapped in a warm up, and certainly not so late in the game. Morgan or Amos should have been playing but he was banking on Sanjay being fit and covering FB, hence not giving Morgan or Amos a run out.

Now Philipps and Anscombe need recalling asap. Even consider Hook as what Wales need is experience though i think Hook's ability to make bad decisions may finally have been his permanent undoing.

If fit, Anscombe to play FB v Uruguay as he is a proven kicker, but just pray Biggar stays fit as kicker.

IMO such a disastrous turn of events so late in the day may have done us mentally but we will see in the first 20 v England whether the boys have got the dog or not.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 8 Sep - 3:58

My friend and I were screaming at the TV, "Get Halfpenny off now!" ten minutes before he went down. I couldn't understand why on earth he was even playing. He didn't need game time - when people like Morgan and Amos desperately do. Added to which his leg was strapped, so he must have been carrying something. Madness! After beating Ireland we should have just been playing people who needed game time and 2nd stringers. Anyway...

I think Phillips and Hook will get the call. I can't really see how there is anyone else.

There are clearly still issues with Liam Williams, which is a HUGE concern. Even if he is fit to play in 2 weeks, he's got zero game time and hasn't been conditioned like the others. If he's okay, we can still put out a decent starting XV (though since Amos hasn't had any serious game time, it looks like we're stuck with Cuthbert on the wing), but if we take any further knocks in the backs, we're in a total mess.

Interesting to see what this does to the squad psychologically. As Gwlad says, I think it really may have knocked them right back - it certainly has most of the fans. There's a vague possibility it could galvanize them, but I think they'll all be well aware of what a serious blow this is to having the kind of squad strength needed to make it to the later stages of the RWC.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 8 Sep - 4:02

Hugely disappointing to hear about Halfpenny; the Rugby World Cup will be bereft of a major talent.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 8 Sep - 4:03

Really gutted for Halfpenny, to miss out on a RWC is terrible.

Its also a massive blow for Wales as he is arguably one of their most important players. Has there been any news on Webb, his looked very bad as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 8 Sep - 4:09

Really gutting for Halfpenny & Webb to miss out at this stage. Tough on Wales too.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 8 Sep - 4:12

I did say on another thread that these are the games i don't like. The last warm up game before a (BIG TOURNAMENT) and the RWC is the biggest tournament of all.

When you consider how big a loss Webb and Halfpenny is going to be for Wales.....and all because of a so called friendly game before the RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 8 Sep - 4:47

Gutted for 1/2p and Webb, but as an English rugby fan I will be a lot less nervous before this game, but I still believe Gatland was right to play them before the RWC you cannot protect players from injury before a major tournament like this. It's very easy to be wise after the event but these guys can do just as much damage in training.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Sep - 4:54

Wales were always up against it in this group, but in a strange way, being even more up against it could help the squad. The whole 'do it for ___' approach can give real focus to a team.

And if these injuries mean England and Australia see Wales as less of a threat, even subconsciously, then that can work in Wales's favour too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 8 Sep - 4:56

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Wales were always up against it in this group, but in a strange way, being even more up against it could help the squad. The whole 'do it for ___' approach can give real focus to a team.

And if these injuries mean England and Australia see Wales as less of a threat, even subconsciously, then that can work in Wales's favour too.

I don't think England or Australia will be thinking Wales are a lesser threat now, than they was before this week end's game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 8 Sep - 5:04

They'd be fools if they did.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 8 Sep - 5:05

majesticimperialman wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Wales were always up against it in this group, but in a strange way, being even more up against it could help the squad. The whole 'do it for ___' approach can give real focus to a team.

I don't think England or Australia will be thinking Wales are a lesser threat now, than they was before this week end's game.

they won't but Half is a points machine, our game plan revolves around territory and penalties and now we dont have the option. We need Hook or Anscombe.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 8 Sep - 5:08

Biggar can kick...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 8 Sep - 5:09

Sooooooo depressed. The only thing approaching a silver lining I can think of is that Mourad Boudjellal will be absolutely furious, which is always fun to read about.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 8 Sep - 5:19

Really sorry it went like this. Group A is still tasty but it will be a bit less so now.

Webb is the bigger blow, think Wales if they get Williams fit and get Biggar fit can survive Halfpennys loss without losing too much- but Webb is class, one of the best scrum-halves in the tournament in general and pretty irreplaceable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 8 Sep - 5:27

I am confident Davies and philipps will step up and the sooner they make Morgan into a 9 the better!

As for Half, his loss is greater IMO. He wins games with his boot and our game plan is to put him in range. What do we have as back up….an injured Anscombe and a ponderous Hook. IMO get rid of Cuthbert asap, rely on North, Amos and Morgan on the wings and Snajay and Anscombe/Hook at 15 with Amos/Morgan to cover them.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 8 Sep - 5:34

Such a shame about Halfpenny, but I always assumed the worst for him and Webb. This could be Biggar's tournament to shine and prove that as a fly-half he is the complete package. He will need to improve a bit though, as he looked better last season.

The scrum-half replacement is obviously Phillips but I'm not sure about back 3 cover as they might be required to kick goals too. Hopefully it won't be Hook, yet it can't be Anscombe either as he is out for 2-3 weeks. Patchell is a long-shot. Matt Morgan is already in the squad and can kick goals. Or Gatland might scrap that and just call up another hooker.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Tue 8 Sep - 5:55

Halfpenny's injury is a desperate blow for all fairminded rugby folk, regardless of tribal loyalty. This RWC will be the poorer for his absence.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 8 Sep - 6:08

munkian wrote:Biggar can kick...

Yes, Biggar is still better than most nations frontline kickers.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 8 Sep - 6:10

2nd in Pro 12 behind Madigan I think.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 8 Sep - 6:19

Injuries happen and while these are big blows they are not irreplaceable.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 8 Sep - 6:44

bedfordwelsh wrote:Injuries happen and while these are big blows they are not irreplaceable.

Shouldn't try to, If Sanjay is fit maybe we'll try a different style and play more attacking rugby.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 8 Sep - 6:47

I am not a rugby fan but I am a Halfpenny fan.  As you can imagine I am gutted that Halfpenny is seriously injured and unable to attend the world cup.  He is a massive loss to the tournament and his fans will miss him.  :broken:  :cry:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 8 Sep - 6:51

munkian wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Injuries happen and while these are big blows they are not irreplaceable.

Shouldn't try to, If Sanjay is fit maybe we'll try a different style and play more attacking rugby.

Personally I would have started Williams at XV anyway with Halfpenny reverting back to wing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 8 Sep - 7:43

Such sad news.

Sometimes a loss like this can galvanise the squad.

I hope it does so and they play for their mates Rhys and Leigh.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 8 Sep - 10:43

Tommy O'Donnell is out of the RWC as well from the first warm-up game against Wales.

Is there a list of players who will be missing the RWC because of injury from the various warm-up matches across the rugby world?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 8 Sep - 17:23

MarcusHalberstram wrote:My friend and I were screaming at the TV, "Get Halfpenny off now!" ten minutes before he went down.  I couldn't understand why on earth he was even playing. He didn't need game time - when people like Morgan and Amos desperately do.  Added to which his leg was strapped, so he must have been carrying something. Madness!  After beating Ireland we should have just been playing people who needed game time and 2nd stringers.  Anyway...

Just like the Lions tour some really odd selections by Gatland. Why pick Halfpenny and why pick players that arent in the squad? Really strange.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 8 Sep - 17:51

munkian wrote:2nd in Pro 12 behind Madigan I think.
Only Keatley kicked more successful conversions and penalties in the Pro 12 last year.

I am just going to whisper this but I am fairly sure Biggar kicked for goal with a higher percentage of accuracy for his club last year than Halfpenny did for his.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Tue 8 Sep - 18:06

George Carlin wrote:
munkian wrote:2nd in Pro 12 behind Madigan I think.
Only Keatley kicked more successful conversions and penalties in the Pro 12 last year.

I am just going to whisper this but I am fairly sure Biggar kicked for goal with a higher percentage of accuracy for his club last year than Halfpenny did for his.

You may be right. I'm going to whisper further and question whether HP would be 1st kicker for Wales at all if Priestland hadn't been so poor a few years ago?...

Sure HP has the range, but I think Bigger will more than hold his own for every other kick.

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 8 Sep - 18:06

Yeah Biggar is an excellent kicker. I dont think Wales will suffer too much with kicks on goal.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Sep - 18:08

GunsGerms wrote:Yeah Biggar is an excellent kicker. I dont think Wales will suffer too much with kicks on goal.

Which in the kind of tight game you get in knockout tournaments is a big thing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 8 Sep - 18:12

Shame for Halfp & Webb. Class players. Altho Wales look a different side with Liam Willaims at fb imo. Gives them more of an attacking edge. Dan Biggar is laser accurate with his boot, losing a bit of range compared to Halfp, so no worries when it comes to kicks at the posts. In fact the pee scale just went up a notch for the Eng Wal game...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 8 Sep - 18:13

The pee scale? Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next