The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Uruguay

+49
Hoonercat
doctornickolas
emack2
TJ
kingjohn7
Artful_Dodger
Seagultaf
yappysnap
Poorfour
wrfc1980
2ndtimeround
trebellbobaggins
offload
glamorganalun
whocares
TightHEAD
Scottrf
eirebilly
nobbled
Geordie
pennys_gold_boots
GavinDragon
wales606
Fanster
Gooseberry
Cardiff Dave
mikey_dragon
majesticimperialman
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
Bridgend_Osprey
hjumpshoe
wayne
robbo277
Luckless Pedestrian
Shifty
flyhalffactory
LordDowlais
RubyGuby
No9
chris_501
bedfordwelsh
George Carlin
PenfroPete
Gwlad
Liam
LondonTiger
SecretFly
maestegmafia
53 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wales vs Uruguay  Empty Wales vs Uruguay

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 7:18 pm

Wales vs Uruguay  Wales_10Wales vs Uruguay  Union_11
WALES vs URUGUAY
Millennium Stadium
Sunday September 20th @ 14:30

Live coverage on ITV and S4C

Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant referees: Pascal Gauzère (France), Mathieu Raynal (France)

Television match official: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)

And so it starts.

RWC 2015, first up for Wales are Uruguay. A team of amateur players that are the lowest ranked team in the competition. They qualified by beating Russia, this is their third RWC. They have won two games previously against Spain and Georgia.

Wales are huge favourites for the game but as the Uruguayans are the weakest team in the group Wales actually have a massive pressure on them to perform at the top of their game and set a bench mark score, that should this pool go down to points, will beat the others in contention.

On the back of a disastrous game in Cardiff against Italy, Wales will have had to re-focus themselves for this game.

Wales have never played Uruguay before. Our A team played them once back in 2001 where a young Shane Williams scored two tries and Gavin Henson excelled at fullback for Wales to win 66 points to 22.

We have no idea what damage teams like England and Australia could do to a tired Uruguay team towards the end of the pool stages. Wales will need to put a cricket score on Uruguay to prove a point before going into our first major game at Twickenham.

Wales Team

Liam Williams (Scarlets); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons); Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Paul James (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Sam Warburton (Captain, Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby)

Uruguay Team

15 Gaston Mieres, 14 Santiago Gibernau, 13 Joaquin Prada, 12 Andres Vilaseca, 11 Rodrigo Silva, 10 Felipe Berchesi, 9 Agustin Ormaechea, 8 Alejandro Nieto, 7 Matias Beer, 6 Juan Manuel Gaminara, 5 Jorge Zerbino, 4 Santiago Vilaseca, 3 Mario Sagario, 2 Carlos Arboleya, 1 Alejo Corral.
Replacements: 16 German Kessler, 17 Oscar Duran, 18 Mateo Sanguinetti, 19 Franco Lamanna, 20 Agustin Alonso, 21 Juan De Freitas, 22 Alejo Duran, 23 Francisco Bulanti.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Uruguay  Empty Re: Wales vs Uruguay

Post by SecretFly Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

Just reading what you say there, Maesteg, I recall that we all debated years ago (I think it was at the beginning of another world cup, can't remember which) - we debated the pretty substantial dangers involved when teams of amateurs are faced with a fully professional top 10 ranked side out to do as you say - amass points and show no mercy in doing so.

You just kinda hope the poor Uruguayans don't pick up any serious injuries.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:Just reading what you say there, Maesteg, I recall that we all debated years ago (I think it was at the beginning of another world cup, can't remember which) - we debated the pretty substantial dangers involved when teams of amateurs are faced with a fully professional top 10 ranked side out to do as you say - amass points and show no mercy in doing so.

They are very unlucky to be in a group with so many good sides.

I hope they don't have injuries, but I am sure by the time they play their final game against England they will be a very tired bunch.

In uru rugby stands for resilience. Hopefully that attribute will see them through.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:19 pm

The Guardians info on Uruguay

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/09/rugby-world-cup-preview-uruguay

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:Just reading what you say there, Maesteg, I recall that we all debated years ago (I think it was at the beginning of another world cup, can't remember which) - we debated the pretty substantial dangers involved when teams of amateurs are faced with a fully professional top 10 ranked side out to do as you say - amass points and show no mercy in doing so.

Last thing anyone wants is another Max Brito

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 9:27 pm

I'm keen to see

James, Owens, Lee
Day, Ball
Moriarty, Warbs, Tipuric
Davies, Biggar
Scott, Cory
North, Sanjay, Cuthbert

Baldy
Geth
Jarvis
King
Taulupe
Lloyd
Priest
Morgan

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dyslexia)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Sep 2015, 9:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I'm keen to see

James, Owens, Baldwin
Day, Ball
Moriarty, Warbs, Tipuric
Davies, Biggar
Scott, Cory
North, Sanjay, Cuthbert

Baldy
Geth
Jarvis
King
Taulupe
Lloyd
Priest
Morgan

Baldwin at tighthead? Interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 9:41 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I'm keen to see

James, Owens, Baldwin
Day, Ball
Moriarty, Warbs, Tipuric
Davies, Biggar
Scott, Cory
North, Sanjay, Cuthbert

Baldy
Geth
Jarvis
King
Taulupe
Lloyd
Priest
Morgan

Baldwin at tighthead? Interesting.

Whoops...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Sep 2015, 9:48 pm

I'm off to this for the grand old sum of £1.75 thanks to tickets for troops. Can't wait.

I'd pick more or less a first choice team and take a few key players off at halftime if we have built up a significant score.

Jenkins, Owens, Lee, AWJ, Charteris, Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau, Davies, Biggar, North, Roberts, Williams, Amos, Williams

James, Baldwin, Francis, Davies, Moriarty, Williams, Priestland, Morgan

We have to get as high a score as possible in this and get our first choice team a bit of a run out before England. Because we are chasing a high score, we have to play Tips and Sam and I would start somebody over Cuthbert, but I know Gatland won't. I would also move North to centre at some point.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 9:57 pm

By comparison this is the England team that played Uruguay in 03

J Lewsey; I Balshaw, S Abbott, M Catt, D Luger; P Grayson, A Gomarsall; P Vickery (capt), D West, J Leonard; D Grewcock, M Corry; L Dallaglio, L Moody, J Worsley.

Replacements: S Thompson, J White, M Johnson, B Kay, K Bracken, W Greenwood, J Robinson.

You got a good feel for how they angled their selection of you can remember these players..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:01 pm

Simply need a 3 figure score as you just feel Oz and England will get to that sort of score quite comfortably. Can't believe Walker has now been ruled out. It was always going to be difficult but with webb, 1/2p and now walker out along with important players carrying knocks its starting to feel ominous. However, it may work in our favour as we always seem to bring our best when we're the underdogs. That game vs england has to be the biggest in the history of the two surely?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:33 pm

Its an opportunity for Morgan i think.

Against a team like uruguay there will be tones of wide open space, time to stick him on and see what he can do.

Likewsie Moriarty, the sooner we get that guy into the mix the better. Our pack strength in depth looks not bad at the moment if we can just keep Lee fit our first team pack looks excellent

Gethin Owens Lee
AWJ Charters
Tips/Warbs, Faletau, Warbs/Lydiate

Bench: James, Baldwin, Francis, Davies/King, Tipuric/Lydiate/Moriarty

With Walker gone too though we are so thin on he ground in the backs!

I think the firsts pick themselves if fit but unsure on which wing to use

Davies, Biggar, Doc, Scott, North, ? prob Amos, Sanjay.

Bench Philipps, Priestland, Morgan

Could Anscombe come back into the squad?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:36 pm

Also being shown live on S4C

http://www.s4c.cymru/c_listings.shtml?dt=2015-09-20
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:52 pm

It's a tough call on who we start and who we don't. Looking at what England selected back in 03 there are probably a third first choice starters and half the bench are too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:21 am

Is the team announced today or Thursday?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:55 am

This group may well come down to which of the big three puts most points on these unfortunate fellows. Many of the Uruguay team are only semi-pros so they simply won't be conditioned for test match intensity for 80 minutes.

If I was Wazza, I would load the bench with faster players and then bring them on with 25 to go.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:55 am

I have said all that I would start our strongest XV then use the bench so for me I would go with:

Jenkins Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris
Lydiate Faletau Warburton

G Davies Biggar
North Roberts Sc Williams Amos

Li Williams

Bench of

James Owens Francis B Davies Tipuric Ll Williams Priestland Morgan
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:56 am

George Carlin wrote:This group may well come down to which of the big three puts most points on these unfortunate fellows. Many of the Uruguay team are only semi-pros so they simply won't be conditioned for test match intensity for 80 minutes.

If I was Wazza, I would load the bench with faster players and then bring them on with 25 to go.

I have said that from the off which is why we have to hit the ground running, put out our best XV get the job done the use the bench wisely.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

I think we should start all 4 of our pool matches with our strongest team. Hopefully against Uruguay and Fiji we will have the games over as a contest by 50-60 mins where we can rest a few and bring on the bench.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

I can see that becoming a giddy infectious chant when the Welsh fans are enjoying the fireworks:

Bring - on - the - Bench!
Bring - on - the - Bench!

It'll be a sign that the game is wrapped up and safe....

During the Australian game, it'll start at about 35 minutes in Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:01 pm

We have to put out our big guns and stack up a 3 digit score, whist keeping them back under 12.

Its been mentioned that England played them in the 2003 cup, and they put our their first string side (most of), and punished Uruguay 111-13, so that's the bench mark. Especially as England are in the driving seat, playing them last (very last game), as if all goes as predicted and Wal, Aus and Eng drop a game each, they will know exactly what they have to do to progress. Also, they will know the result of Wal v Aus by then, so will know if a win against Uruguay is needed or by what margin. Would love to know how the pool fixtures where arranged, as seems a little "engineered" in my opinion.. but that's another discussion.. Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:03 pm

Mathew Morgan has to start this game

thumbsupthumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 15 Sep 2015, 2:12 pm

Matthew Morgan has to FINISH this game. Liam Williams has to start it. Sanjay hasn't played since June and will need the game time before the match againt England
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:15 pm

I hope Matthew Morgan comes on, the kid is electric in attack. Great to watch a player with such a high skill level.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

We always harp on like this about Matthew Morgan, yet I am still waiting to see him rip it up and score tries for fun, yes he is very Shane Williams esque, but when is he ever going to deliver. I have watched him a few times for Ospreys and Bristol, and I have seen him cost more tries than he makes because he cannot tackle.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:27 pm

Luckily enough he won't be asked to tackle in the coming game Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 15 Sep 2015, 3:48 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I have said all that I would start our strongest XV then use the bench so for me I would go with:

Jenkins Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris
Lydiate Faletau Warburton

G Davies Biggar
North Roberts Sc Williams Amos

Li Williams

Bench of

James Owens Francis B Davies Tipuric Ll Williams Priestland Morgan

That's a cracking first 15. I possibly would change Owens for Baldwin but there's nothing in it between those two.... otherwise Spot on OK

You guys really need to rack up at least 50-60 points against Uruguay as England will be playing them last and will know the points target to achieve. I would expect the target for the first 15 to score 4-5 five tries by half time and bring on the bench from the 50th minute with at least James, Owens/Baldwin, Tipuric coming on around then, with Francis, Davies, Morgan and Priestland coming on around 55-60 mins. I believe England put over 100 pts on them in 2003 and in reality you should be looking for the bench to go full out to at least double the first half score.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 15 Sep 2015, 8:14 pm

15 Liam Williams
14 George North
13 Scott Williams
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Alex Cuthbert
10 Matthew Morgan
9 Lloyd Williams
8 Talupe Faletau
7 Justin Tipuric
6 Ross Moriarty
5 Luke Charteris
4 Bradley Davies
3 Tomas Francis
2 Ken Owens
1 Gethin Jenkins (c)

16 Hallam Amos
17 Dan Biggar
18 Gareth Davies
19 Sam Warburton
20 Alun Wyn Jones
21 Sampson Lee
22 Scott Baldwin
23 Paul James

No point going for a power type of team, thats exactly what Uruguay want.  It's best to hit them on the outside shoulder and get the ball moving quickly.  Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, Nipper, Scott Williams and Liam Williams are exactly what you need in this game to tire them out.  Bring on the big guns in the last 30 minutes to run riot. Japan have pretty much shown how to beat Uruguay, 5 meter line outs every chance you get and get the ball moving fast and hit them with pace, not brawn.

The Australia V Uruguay game could be X rates if the likes of Beale, Gitau, Cooper, Genia, Ashley-Cooper and Mitchell are playing, it could be horrific. thumbsdown
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Sep 2015, 8:47 pm

I find your bench set up very interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:02 pm

We need to be careful how we approach this game. The last thing we should do is go out with a scoreline in mind. How many times have we seen Wales try to score tries from the outset against weaker sides and forget the basics?

If we do those basics well, the tries are bound to come and it'll be a long 80 minutes for Uruguay. If we try and force it, throwing basketball passes and miracle offloads, then we won't score as many tries as we should. Slow and steady wins the race.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm

Good points there shifty and LP... Simple good quality rugby with plenty of Pace will be the key.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:17 pm

Do the basics right don't push game the tries will come. Once we have the bp and decnet points then use bench
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm

From the Guardian

"Gatland will announce his side to play Uruguay on Friday. He is set to omit a number of his frontline players in readiness for the bigger battles to come and by replacing Walker, a wing, with a wing-forward, Ross Moriarty, he is arming himself for the rest of the group.

“By pulling Eli out before Wednesday we have the option of calling him back if we pick up an injury later on,” Gatland said. “The medical opinion was he will be out for three or four weeks and we felt limited in terms of wing cover. We felt that as there was going to be pressure on the loose forwards in the coming weeks, Ross should come in. He was unlucky to miss out in the first place.”"

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/15/warren-gatland-wales-coach-rugby-world-cup-galvanise-us

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Sep 2015, 6:03 am

So we all have differing views on what side he should put out and each view has good arguments and counter arguments to it.

He has already stated that Li Williams and Lee will play some part on Sunday so do we think it is better to start them or bring them off the bench.  

For me I would them give them a good 50 minutes then replace them with Morgan and Francis respectively.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 16 Sep 2015, 8:30 am

I'll be interested to see what line up Wales choose. Some of their players are in need of some game time, they have to bed in new combinations, they'll want a big score in case it goes to points difference but they'll also want to make sure they don't suffer any injuries or even knocks before the England game. With a 6 day turnaround they won't want any setbacks with even players missing a couple of games training.

I guess the Italy game in the Six Nations was good prep for this kind of scenario. You've got to score loads against weaker opposition, but you don't know how many. Wales won't be able to afford a start like they did against Italy, but play like they did in the second half and they could be on for 60/70 plus.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 16 Sep 2015, 10:56 am

From what I was told yesterday, by a friend of 3 of our squad players, there is very little wrong with Walker, and Moriarty has been drafted in as back 5 cover, over suspected doubts of a number of our front line players, it was primarily because of today being in the time period of the WC, if any player from today onward drops out because of injury, they are totally out of the WC. Walker can now come back in, I'll also add I spoke to Eli on Sunday at the Liberty and he said he was fine and he was walking normally to me.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:01 am

Wayne,

I thought that ruling was in force as soon as the deadline for naming squads had passed. Though did read somewhere Gatland saying that by doing it this way he could be called back in if need be.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:10 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Wayne,

I thought that ruling was in force as soon as the deadline for naming squads had passed.  Though did read somewhere Gatland saying that by doing it this way he could be called back in if need be.
He actually said it yesterday BW, that is why I was so intrigued by it, I was coming out of the Reception area Sunday and Eli was going in and before the match I seen him skipping up the steps to where the players were sitting, so I spoke to my friend and that is what he told me.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 16 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

wayne wrote:

I thought that ruling was in force as soon as the deadline for naming squads had passed.  Though did read somewhere Gatland saying that by doing it this way he could be called back in if need be.
He actually said it yesterday BW, that is why I was so intrigued by it, I was coming out of the Reception area Sunday and Eli was going in and before the match I seen him skipping up the steps to where the players were sitting, so I spoke to my friend and that is what he told me.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have called Walker up anyway as don't think he would have figured much outside of the Uruguay game but why go through the farce and why didn't he just call Moriarty up before.

A lot will jump on this as they did with the ' only two hookers' debate but again it's pointless trying to second guess Gatland as he always throws in the odd curve ball and has a serious case of foot in mouth syndrome.

As ever and as with a lot of coaches I guess the old 'judge me on the World Cup' adage could possibly come to bite him in the ass. As soon as the draw was made we all knew that for one us then this World Cup would been seen as a failure, as not getting out of the group will be viewed like that.

I think it will be seen as a bigger failure if England or Australia don't get out but even if we don't it will still be seen as a failure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 16 Sep 2015, 12:14 pm

Wales MUST start with their strongest line up surely. Then when we are comfortably in front, ring the changes. I would not want to see us being in a position where we are having to bring players on to make us comfy.

It is our opening game of the WC at Cardiff, we should be laying down a marker. I despair when I see line-ups with Matthew Morgan in them. Uruguay will get their chances, and if they see him in the starting line-up, I wonder who their big guys will target ? Start with Biggar, get the job done, then give nipper his run out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 16 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
wayne wrote:

For what it's worth I wouldn't have called Walker up anyway as don't think he would have figured much outside of the Uruguay game but why go through the farce and why didn't he just call Moriarty up before.

A lot will jump on this as they did with the ' only two hookers' debate but again it's pointless trying to second guess Gatland as he always throws in the odd curve ball and has a serious case of foot in mouth syndrome.

As ever and as with a lot of coaches I guess the old 'judge me on the World Cup' adage could possibly come to bite him in the ass. As soon as the draw was made we all knew that for one us then this World Cup would been seen as a failure, as not getting out of the group will be viewed like that.

I think it will be seen as a bigger failure if England or Australia don't get out but even if we don't it will still be seen as a failure.
BW, I also wouldn't have selected Eli in the initial 31, but then I wouldn't have had Cuthbert either, and when Leigh went down and seeing Cuthbert's performances in those warm up matches I would have, just not to have Cuthbert anywhere near the team. IMO we have enough cover at F/B we would need another winger and at that point I would have selected him

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 16 Sep 2015, 12:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Wales MUST start with their strongest line up surely. Then when we are comfortably in front, ring the changes. I would not want to see us being in a position where we are having to bring players on to make us comfy.

It is our opening game of the WC at Cardiff, we should be laying down a marker. I despair when I see line-ups with Matthew Morgan in them. Uruguay will get their chances, and if they see him in the starting line-up, I wonder who their big guys will target ? Start with Biggar, get the job done, then give nipper his run out.
Lord I know you are not advocating selecting Mathew as the starting O/H, but as someone who has seen him over a number of years, he is not and IMO will never be a Regional standard starting player in that position as long as he has a hole in his arse, if you added all the time together that he has controlled a game to our standard it wouldn't last 40 minutes, Priestland rightly or wrongly is our selected reserve in that position and with the players we have at our disposal now, it is the former I believe. FFS, even Bristol dropped him for their important games, have him as an impact sub as a F/B as a last resort. Personally I would have Amos on the wing on Sunday, but then again I would rather have Cuthbert on the wing and Amos as F/B rather than have Morgan involved.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 16 Sep 2015, 12:50 pm

wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Wales MUST start with their strongest line up surely. Then when we are comfortably in front, ring the changes. I would not want to see us being in a position where we are having to bring players on to make us comfy.

Lord I know you are not advocating selecting Mathew as the starting O/H, but as someone who has seen him over a number of years, he is not and IMO will never be a Regional standard starting player in that position as long as he has a hole in his arse, if you added all the time together that he has controlled a game to our standard it wouldn't last 40 minutes, Priestland rightly or wrongly is our selected reserve in that position and with the players we have at our disposal now, it is the former I believe. FFS, even Bristol dropped him for their important games, have him as an impact sub as a F/B as a last resort. Personally I would have Amos on the wing on Sunday, but then again I would rather have Cuthbert on the wing and Amos as F/B rather than have Morgan involved.

wayne I agree 100%. As I have mentioned above in this article. I would start Priestland every game before Matthew Morgan, and that is not an endorsement for Priestland as he has been poor for about two years now. I am yet to see Matthew Morgan have a massive game for anyone, yet here he is in the Welsh WC squad.

Matthew Morgan cannot tackle, and he has not got enough composure for international rugby, yet we have people on here starting him in our first WC game !!! Madness.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:02 pm

I understand injuries are part of the sport but I don't see the point risking any when there is no need to. For me, Biggar, Doc, North, Lydiate, Faletau and AWJ should be nowhere near this game as to lose those any of those players first up would be a disaster. Any combination of the rest of the squad should be more than able to put Uruguauy away comfortably and hopefully rack up the points. Sanjay and Lee must start to get game time and I'd probably leave nipper on bench til 60mins of possible before unleashing him to cause chaos.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:06 pm

hjumpshoe wrote: I'd probably leave nipper on bench til 60mins of possible before unleashing him to cause chaos.

Why do people think he will cause chaos ? When has he ever caused chaos ?

The only good game I remember him ever having was against Leicester in the LV= cup at Bridgend a few years ago, and even then he did not "cause chaos".

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:18 pm

Whilst I am not the biggest fan of Morgan in a lot of respects, the one thing he is excellent at is running in broken play, he can be electrifying! If we are not going to use him in the last 20-30 minutes against a tired Uruguay, he may as well be sat at home. Would I have picked him in the squad? Probably not but he is there so we must use him.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:21 pm

hjumpshoe wrote:Whilst I am not the biggest fan of Morgan in a lot of respects, the one thing he is excellent at is running in broken play, he can be electrifying! If we are not going to use him in the last 20-30 minutes against a tired Uruguay, he may as well be sat at home. Would I have picked him in the squad? Probably not but he is there so we must use him.

Where is this evidence of him being excellent in broken play ? I am yet to see this. He is not Shane Williams mind. He could be like him, but he is not. Not once ever have I seen him ripping it up in broken play. Yes he has the ability to make breaks, but they usually come to nothing. I reckon he would make a far better scrum half than a 10.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:26 pm

It's funny you mention Shane Williams as the great entertainer himself has raved about Nipper's running ability. I am at work so haven't the ability to post YouTube clips of him but I am sure they are there.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:30 pm

hjumpshoe wrote:It's funny you mention Shane Williams as the great entertainer himself has raved about Nipper's running ability. I am at work so haven't the ability to post YouTube clips of him but I am sure they are there.

Of course they are there, there are probably youtube clips that has Gethin Jenkins ripping it up in broken play, but would you say the same about him ? Look, Matthew Morgan has brilliant feet, and he is potentially like Shane Williams, but he never has delivered. So I just cannot not get the big hoo haa over him. I bet Biggar has shown more ability in broken play over the years than nipper has.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by hjumpshoe Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:41 pm

Ah the big hoohaa!lol As I have previously said, I wouldn't have had him in the original squad so I am not for one minute promoting him as the saviour of exciting rugby, but he is in our squad, has the ability to create and score tries and could be the difference between a 70 point win and a 90 point win. Btw, I agree he's no fh and I wouldn't trust his defence to start at fb either but off the bench, in a game where we need points against a tired semi-pro side, I'd give him the ball with space ahead of most.

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next