The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

+36
sensisball
GLove39
funnyExiledScot
madmaccas
RDW
VinceWLB
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
nickj
MacKnocked-on
EWT Spoons
thebandwagonsociety
Tattie Scones RRN
des
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Weegie Wizard
CraigS1874
takethelongroad
R!skysports
Converter
Majestic83
IanBru
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Prothero
Nematode
justified sinner
TJ
Eejit
demosthenes
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
cakeordeath
RuggerRadge2611
40 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by des Sat 16 Jan 2016, 1:42 pm

Folk from Currie are completely lacking in class. Glad I moved to Trinity before living there could tarnish my upbringing.

Being serious though, if loosing Scott means we can keep someone like Du Preez then I'm quite happy. I'd be amazed if he wasn't being offered big money for a move.

des

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by RDW Sat 16 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

Now Du Preez I am confident will stay - he'll be SQ next season and at 24 has many years as an international player ahead of him.

It would certainly take a lot of money to throw that away!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 16 Jan 2016, 1:59 pm

Not great news on Scott but as noted here it could well pave the way for priority signings or re-signings.

Burleigh is better at 12 so slots into the 1st XV in that position for my money leaving question marks at 10 and 15. My preference would be Tonks at 10 with Kinghorn given a shot at 15, but there's a good case for switching them around.

Always sad to see a good servant leave but I understand the reasons on both sides, and am interested to see how Scott gets on at Glaws.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 16 Jan 2016, 2:52 pm

Nothing official (but from a good source) A Toolis has signed for the rebels and a centre from Western force is apparently coming in to replace Scott. Might not happen but it's what I've been told

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 16 Jan 2016, 4:00 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Nothing official (but from a good source) A Toolis has signed for the rebels and a centre from Western force is apparently coming in to replace Scott. Might not happen but it's what I've been told

That may happen for Alex Toolis, there may be one to many top quality second rows at Edinburgh and he seems to be behind Ben in the pecking order. Needs to go and get out of his shadow.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm

Any guesses who the Western Force player could be?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 16 Jan 2016, 4:36 pm

When I say A Toolis I mean Alex, just to avoid any confusion.

W. Force have a centre born in SA, Kyle Goodwin (according to google). Purely for the south Africa solly connection, he's my shout

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:09 pm

Laugh

Very scientific of you!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:25 pm

Luke Burton
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Kyle Godwin
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Junior Rasolea
centre/wing
Aus-7s

Ben Tapuai
Centre
Australia

Ammon MatuautoEPS
no information

just off Wikipedia but that's all that's listed in the centres

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:29 pm

also has

Marcel Brache
Wing/centre
born in USA
been playing in aus since 2010

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by des Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:34 pm

Unrelated to Scott but I've just realised Edinburgh have won 5 games in a row. Let's not say anymore about it in case they hear and bottle it in the next game.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

poddy89 wrote:Luke Burton
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Kyle Godwin
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Junior Rasolea
centre/wing
Aus-7s

Ben Tapuai
Centre
Australia

Ammon MatuautoEPS
no information

So basically..... Headscratch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Kyle Godwin
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Junior Rasolea
centre/wing
Aus-7s

Ben Tapuai
Centre
Australia

Ammon MatuautoEPS
no information

yeah none of them jump out as obvious choices so we will just have to wait and see,, hopefully they will give something away in the near future

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 16 Jan 2016, 6:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Laugh

Very scientific of you!

Thanks I'm all about the scientific deduction.

Incidentally he was born in SA, but is Aussie qualified playing for their u20s.

Whomever it is, I just hope they are better than the last player we signed from them....Mr J Hilterbrand!

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

poddy89 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Kyle Godwin
Fly-half/Centre
Aus U-20

Junior Rasolea
centre/wing
Aus-7s

Ben Tapuai
Centre
Australia

Ammon MatuautoEPS
no information

yeah none of them jump out as obvious choices so we will just have to wait and see,, hopefully they will give something away in the near future

The force is my old team so know a bit about the current centres there.
Kyle Goodwin is head and shoulders the pick of the bunch. Brought up in Perth so is a real local hero at the force. Has been unlucky not to be capped so far due to injury after being in the wallabies squad a few times.
His best positions in order are 12, 10, 13. Similar style to matt scott, good carrier, playmaker, solid in defence. Better kicker than scott and quicker too. Would be surprised if he came.

Ben tapuai is an Aussie international. In his first season at the force on a 2 year deal I think after joining from the Reds. Was the Reds starting centre when they won the super rugby title. Equally good at 12 or 13. Quick, good pass and strong runner, has a huge left boot on him as well. Would be a good signing.

Luke burton is another local lad at the force, 10 or 12, played for Australia at schools and u20s. Probably more a 10 than a 12. Expected to have a breakthrough season in super rugby where he will mostly be used as an impact sub for Peter grant. Again would be surprised to see him come to Edinburgh as think he is on a two year deal and has been marked as a future wallaby.

Junior rasolea is mostly a centre who can play wing. Been at the force for 2 years. First year he was very effective playing either as a crash ball 12 or at 13. Fijian born but think he might be tied to Australia now. Didn't have a great season last year mostly due to injury niggles and could struggle for game time this season with Goodwin and tapuai being first choices.

The other centre at the force who will play his first season is Jono lance. Played for the waratahs and before that the Reds where he won the super rugby title. Can play 12, 13, 15 and 10. Good solid player but probably more a squad player.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 16 Jan 2016, 8:50 pm

Bad news about Scott but if that means Du Preez and Nel are staying put i'm ok with it.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Jan 2016, 8:51 pm

Now that's the kind of insight and knowledge that is hard to come by on these boards!

Sounds like none of them are obvious options then? And none SQ?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 8:55 pm

None of the are overly obvious options, would say lance or tapuai are the only likely ones out of the force centres. Don't think any are SQ either, only possible one might be luke burton.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat 16 Jan 2016, 10:32 pm

Good insight Majestic83, but you know, not quite up to the same standard as my post   Very Happy

I think you've blown my "he was born in SA, so it might be him" effort out the water. thumbsup

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:21 am

I would love it to be Ben Tapuai but realistically he only joined the Force on a 2 year deal last summer so it would be a bit odd to see him bounce straight over to Europe when guys like AAC (playing well for Bordeaux the other night) have freed up space in the Wallabies squad.

Any way it could be Luke Moraghan? Now there's a player.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm

Edinburgh with the money saved on Matt Scott have finally addressed the fly half situation: They have apparently signed Duncan freakin Weir for next season.
Also, still from the Edinburgh forum, Nel wont be staying and is apparently just choosing among the numerous offers he is having.

What it shows is that it's impossible for Scottish team to build anything, last season Glasgow lost their key players and now that Edinburgh are looking decent they will lose their key players too.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Edinburgh with the money saved on Matt Scott have finally addressed the fly half situation: They have apparently signed Duncan freakin Weir for next season.
Also, still from the Edinburgh forum, Nel wont be staying and is apparently just choosing among the numerous offers he is having.

What it shows is that it's impossible for Scottish team to build anything, last season Glasgow lost their key players and now that Edinburgh are looking decent they will lose their key players too.

Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:46 pm

VinceWLB wrote:They have apparently signed Duncan freakin Weir for next season.

I refuse to believe this furious

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:48 pm

As much as I appreciate it is the professional game, Nel moving on less than a season after becoming SQ really will make a mockery of the whole system.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:As much as I appreciate it is the professional game, Nel moving on less than a season after becoming SQ really will make a mockery of the whole system.

What a depressing monday this has been. This is very disappointing too as Nel does come across as someone who seems pretty loyal.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:00 pm

Weir in an Edinburgh shirt is my worst nightmare though, i think i would rather have Piers Francis back!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:09 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Weir in an Edinburgh shirt is my worst nightmare though, i think i would rather have Piers Francis back!

I wouldn't go that far! The reason that Weir looks like a headless chicken is because he's not suited to Glasgow's style of play, so he forces things out with his abilities.

He is far more suited to Edinburgh's style and would probably be a decent option at 10 for us. Good goal kicker to compliment Hidalgo-Clyne too.

It would be incredibly strange seeing him in an Edinburgh shirt though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:12 pm

Personally I think Weir to Edinburgh is a good move - so long as he gets regular starts. His career / progression as been halted by not ever being a regular starting 10 for any adult team - he needs the game time. He has the potential, its in danger of being wasted. A casualty of the fact we only have two teams

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:40 pm

If Weir signs and Nel leaves I will not be renewing my season ticket. There are plenty cheaper amateur rugby options in Edinburgh for supporters.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jan 2016, 6:42 am

TJ wrote:Personally I think Weir to Edinburgh is a good move - so long as he gets regular starts.  His career / progression as been halted by not ever being a regular starting 10 for any adult team - he needs the game time.  He has the potential, its in danger of being wasted.  A casualty of the fact we only have two teams
It's certainly a good move for Glasgow... Erm

Depressing to think that Nelly will break up the best front row in UK/Ire rugby by moving on but it's desperately difficult to keep quality tightheads because they are in such demand and so expensive to keep. As Glasgow have shown this year, if you don't have a set piece anchor, you don't have anything much at all.

I would think that a French club in particular will be keen to double his salary. I don't think he's disloyal to Scotland incidentally, but I hope that he chooses a club which will give him adequate release rights for international matches. Unless Dodson really does have a screensaver for a brain, he will absolutely insist that the player gets full release for training and all games as he's arguably one of Scotland's most important 3 players.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jan 2016, 6:43 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:If Weir signs and Nel leaves I will not be renewing my season ticket. There are plenty cheaper amateur rugby options in Edinburgh for supporters.

It's not like you ever go anyway! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jan 2016, 6:44 am

VinceWLB wrote:What it shows is that it's impossible for Scottish team to build anything, last season Glasgow lost their key players and now that Edinburgh are looking decent they will lose their key players too.
Agree 100% with this.

It seems that Glasgow and Edinburgh have 2 seasons at best with a quality and settled squad before the vultures start circling to pick off the higher profile and marquee players. Just shows how low-key Glasgow are as a club to have kept the same squad together for 3 years long enough to make them championship material.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jan 2016, 6:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:If Weir signs and Nel leaves I will not be renewing my season ticket. There are plenty cheaper amateur rugby options in Edinburgh for supporters.

It's not like you ever go anyway! Laugh
Yes, but if FES' staff also stop going then Edinburgh's gate receipts will be reduced by 60% overnight.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 19 Jan 2016, 7:28 am

TJ wrote:Personally I think Weir to Edinburgh is a good move - so long as he gets regular starts.  His career / progression as been halted by not ever being a regular starting 10 for any adult team - he needs the game time.  He has the potential, its in danger of being wasted.  A casualty of the fact we only have two teams

I don't agree though, currently Solly has done a good job of building a solid pack, and making us a difficult team to beat, much like Lineen did at Glasgow. But its painfully obvious that to progress any further we need to radically improve our attacking play. If teams match us up front we currently have little in the way of a plan B. Duncan Weir pulling the strings certainly isn't going to to change that, he's the type of player that can play to our current gameplay but isn't going to help push Edinburgh forward. In fact he'll do the opposite and ensure we stay at our current level or, since it looks like we're losing one of the pillars of our dominant pack, actually see us drop backwards

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 19 Jan 2016, 9:04 am

Thank you Mr Llama, so we Dunkie has just ensured that the 1872 bauble will be heading westwards then?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:11 am

Weir leaving Glasgow makes sense. Leaves Glasgow short of a 2nd 10 and Edinburgh have Tonks, Kinghorn and Burleigh (assuming he re-signs). Is this going to be an exchange where the Warriors get Kinghorn?

Also as Edinburgh are short a tighthead, Puafisi could do with a fresh start...

In all seriousness D'Arcy Rae could do with playing time so a move to London Scots or Edinburgh may make sense next season if Glasgow don't deliver.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:13 am

If we get Weir and Glasgow get Kinghorn I will personally take a dump on Scott Johnson’s desk.

It might have nothing to do with him, but it would make me feel better anyway!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by des Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:59 am

So I got a rear wheel puncture on a hub geared bike whilst cycling past Murrayfield this morning. There are definitely some bad vibes emanating from that place today.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:12 pm

jimbopip wrote:Thank you Mr Llama, so we Dunkie has just ensured that the 1872 bauble will be heading westwards then?

No such luck Jimbo, Kinghorn will have overtaken him by then! (after his planned transfer to Glasgow is reversed after the appearance of a mysterious turd on Johnson's desk, I may add...)

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If we get Weir and Glasgow get Kinghorn I will personally take a dump on Scott Johnson’s desk.

Is there anyway of enforcing that offer?

Is there anyway of Glove making a Vine of it?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jan 2016, 1:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If we get Weir and Glasgow get Kinghorn I will personally take a dump on Scott Johnson’s desk.

Don't. He'll probably employ said "dump" as Head of SRU Marketing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 2:27 pm

Is there any substance in this Weir to Edinburgh rumour?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jan 2016, 2:28 pm

Some bloke on the Edinburgh forum said so. He wouldn't name his source, so it could be a load of rubbish!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 2:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Some bloke on the Edinburgh forum said so. He wouldn't name his source, so it could be a load of rubbish!

Hopefully is rubbish, we can't really afford to clog up one of the only two starting spots available for a SQ no10 with a player who seems like he may never quite develop in to a reliable internationalist. Currently Tonks is showing that he isn't good enough so we don't really need anybody else with a limited game plan in the squad. I assume Cotter must have some say in this so you would think that he would want both pro teams playing a similar style.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jan 2016, 5:36 pm

Agree. Edinburgh needs to have a good think about where it wants to go as a side, and the type of rugby we want to be playing. Assuming we don't lose Nel in the summer the pack will be strong next season - no need to recruit any forwards.

The backs need a closer look, and we should use the departure of Scott and the current lack of quality 10 to sharpen that review. Phil Burlegh is a top quality inside centre, and capable of bringing real attacking quality to that position and, in my opinion, could work well with one of Allan/Dean/Beard at 13. If we go down that road then Tonks and Te Rure are the only recognised fly halves, with Kinghorn potentially being thrown in to the mix (although I've liked him at 15 thus far).

9. SH-C, Fowles, Kennedy - good enough.
10. ?, Tonks, Te Rure - not good enough. We need to sign a top quality 10 (not Weir).
11 and 14. Brown, Hoyland, Helu, Fife, Farndale - good enough.
12. Burleigh, Strauss, ? - 1st choice is fine but we need to recruit a better replacement
13. Allan, Dean, Beard - good enough
15. Cuthbert, Kinghorn, McLennan - debatable, but not a priority.

So, in a nutshell, a top quality 10 plus better back-up at 12 is needed. Of the SQ options out there I'd most like us to sign Jackson and Taylor. An option at 12 is perhaps to take a closer look at Beard in that position. He's a good tackler and a smarter attacking option than Strauss.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 19 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agree. Edinburgh needs to have a good think about where it wants to go as a side, and the type of rugby we want to be playing. Assuming we don't lose Nel in the summer the pack will be strong next season - no need to recruit any forwards.

The backs need a closer look, and we should use the departure of Scott and the current lack of quality 10 to sharpen that review. Phil Burlegh is a top quality inside centre, and capable of bringing real attacking quality to that position and, in my opinion, could work well with one of Allan/Dean/Beard at 13. If we go down that road then Tonks and Te Rure are the only recognised fly halves, with Kinghorn potentially being thrown in to the mix (although I've liked him at 15 thus far).

10. ?, Tonks, Te Rure - not good enough. We need to sign a top quality 10 (not Weir).
12. Burleigh, Strauss, ? - 1st choice is fine but we need to recruit a better replacement

So, in a nutshell, a top quality 10 plus better back-up at 12 is needed. Of the SQ options out there I'd most like us to sign Jackson and Taylor. An option at 12 is perhaps to take a closer look at Beard in that position. He's a good tackler and a smarter attacking option than Strauss.

The same could be said of Young Bru, but you wouldn't play him at 12 would you?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 19 Jan 2016, 5:46 pm

jimbopip wrote:The same could be said of Young Bru, but you wouldn't play him at 12 would you?

Over Strauss? Yes

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Tue 19 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agree. Edinburgh needs to have a good think about where it wants to go as a side, and the type of rugby we want to be playing. Assuming we don't lose Nel in the summer the pack will be strong next season - no need to recruit any forwards.

Chris Deans long term position is 12, he isn't the quickest and his best attributes are carrying and the defensive work. I think hes being played at 13 currently as his passing isn't the sharpest after playing his final years at School in the back row and then 2 years in the 7s team.

I wouldn't mind weir as a 10 but agree jackson or even horne is the preferred option, hopefully strauss moves on in the summer and frees up more cash.

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm

Dean at 12 isn't a bad shout. He's pretty stocky and strong in defence. Worth a look.

We need to convince Fofana that there's more to life than money and success.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:17 am

Are we any more confident that Dean's dodgy knee problems are behind him? They seem to have held up OK so far...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next