The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should be next England coach

+78
Welshmushroom
jimbopip
Taylorman
blackcanelion
Artful_Dodger
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
Sin é
kingelderfield
englandglory4ever
jamesandimac
Poorfour
Breadvan
funnyExiledScot
tazfalklands
Student-A1
rozakthegoon
Chjw131
Mr Bounce
mikey_dragon
bigndumb
Cyril
BamBam
Cumbrian
screamingaddabs
Biltong
fa0019
TJ
whocares
No 7&1/2
Gooseberry
PerryGee
Hood83
gregortree
maestegmafia
Shifty
doctor_grey
rosbif
emack2
geoff999rugby
DaveM
Geordie
greenandpleasantland
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
wayne
Barney McGrew did it
hjumpshoe
boomeranga
George Carlin
Happytravelling
WELL-PAST-IT
Sgt_Pooly
offload
nathan
cb
dallym
aucklandlaurie
Gwlad
Pal Joey
wales606
Rugby Fan
majesticimperialman
21st Century Schizoid Man
madmaccas
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
king_carlos
Bathman_in_London
hugehandoff
Fanster
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
yappysnap
SecretFly
TightHEAD
beshocked
nlpnlp
82 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Who should be next England coach - Page 9 Empty Who should be next England coach

Post by nlpnlp Fri 09 Oct 2015, 1:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

I think most of us are agreed that Stuart Lancaster should go as England coach - but who do you want to see get the job?  I think that Stuart Lancaster has proved that you need a coach who has a proven winning track record at the top level of club or international rugby.

Lets not turn this topic into a debate about which players should be in, or Stuart Lancaster's failings, those are valid issues for other topics.  Just who you think it should be and why.

I don't think any English coach has a record of success in the European Rugby Champions/Heineken Cup, or any track record of coaching abroad.  So I would go for an overseas coach and I think we should break the bank for the best 'available' coach, which for me is Wayne Smith.  Assuming Steve Hansen does not want to step down, would Smith be satisfied as being a number 2 for another 4 years?

Simple and short - Who and Why.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Who should be next England coach - Page 9 Empty Re: Who should be next England coach

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:09 pm

We've all hyped Itoje even the Lancaster. He's one of those rare players when it'll take something drastic for him not to make it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Who should be next England coach - Page 9 Empty Re: Who should be next England coach

Post by fa0019 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You can and I do criticise Haskell for a number of things but physically he's in amazing shape for a 6.

Physically he's in amazing shape...but right for a rugby player or right for a bodybuilder? He is huge, absolutely huge but he was much better 3-4 years ago and if anything he's a lot slower and his effectiveness has been reduced. Someone should have tapped him on the shoulder. Players are adults yes... but they're not sports scientists, they're not fitness trainers and in many instances they should have teams of experts around them telling them what to do.

It simply looks lacking in England. Look at Kaino, Lydiate, Burger, Fardy, POM. Any of those look like they're competing on Mt Olympus?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:19 pm

All big guys yes. He doesn't struggle for physicality or endurance at the top level. We will again agree to disagree.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:47 pm

Is there any time limit on when this review will be revealed?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Oct 2015, 1:54 pm

Haskell is now 30 - If it was going to happen it would have by now - useful bench player but as inconsistent as they come and a potential penalty machine.

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:02 pm

Where did his post hitting aggression go? With madness like that, England could have beaten both Wales and Australia.... but the whole show just whimpered out like a left behind cigarette butt. Quite a quiz when you think about it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:04 pm

"the whole show just whimpered out like a left behind cigarette butt."

A bit like 606 at the moment - Its so quiet on here I believe there's even more activity in the Irish back play than on here at the Moment - I feel like going on a serious Wumfest just to get some animation on here

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:05 pm

Disagree no 7 & 1/2. I think Haskell showed the physicality we wanted from him against Wales in the first game of the 6 nations if not the ability to avoid running into rugby posts!

Unfortunately I have felt that physicality has been lacking in other games. Certainly hasn't offered the same carrying power Billy did for example.

I agree with Rubyguby about Haskell. He's a player that I feel should be able to fit the bill but hasn't.

He's a very frustating player.

fa0019 you do make a valid point though that has been made before - the conditioning of the players might not have good enough.

England did seem to be lacking the pace,power,technique and vision compared to their rivals.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:07 pm

Can't believe we are still having these discussions about Billy. When he first played for England conditioning was an issue and he'd only be able to last a half at most. These days you have to look beyond the bulk because he plays 80 minutes and is more active than ever.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:07 pm

People are too nervous Ruby. Too nervous to speak lest they jinx their team. Ireland pages have been virtually empty for the duration of the WC so far..................... well except for a few old saddle tramps who never shut up..... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

beshocked wrote:Disagree no 7 & 1/2. I think Haskell showed the physicality we wanted from him against Wales in the first game of the 6 nations if not the ability to avoid running into rugby posts!

Unfortunately I have felt that physicality has been lacking in other games. Certainly hasn't offered the same carrying power Billy did for example.

I agree with Rubyguby about Haskell. He's a player that I feel should be able to fit the bill but hasn't.

fa0019 you do make a valid point though that has been made before - the conditioning of the players might not have good enough.

England did seem to be lacking the pace,power,technique and vision compared to their rivals.

Physically he's not lacking, physicality is more a decision based thing for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:12 pm

In all honesty LIW I think Billy is beginning to realise why his father was so disappointed in him and it seems to be weighing heavily on him. He just doesn't seem happy out there and his comments since seem to justify this sentiment. We did our best in training the Vunipolos and Ben Morgan for you but maybe their heart isn't in it

Hope you're having a lovely time in Swansea the past few weeks Yahoo

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:People are too nervous Ruby.  Too nervous to speak lest they jinx their team.  Ireland pages have been virtually empty for the duration of the WC so far..................... well except for a few old saddle tramps who never shut up..... Whistle

You're team is fecked Fly, they've been hanging in and around that curve for far too long for my liking - Time to fall off the radar and out to 9th in the rankings just below ????? - The Friday feeling is kicking in - kiss

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 16 Oct 2015, 2:52 pm

RubyGuby wrote:In all honesty LIW I think Billy is beginning to realise why his father was so disappointed in him and it seems to be weighing heavily on him. He just doesn't seem happy out there and his comments since seem to justify this sentiment. We did our best in training the Vunipolos and Ben Morgan for you but maybe their heart isn't in it

Hope you're having a lovely time in Swansea the past few weeks Yahoo

thumbsup

Cheers Ruby. Moved out of Swansea 3 years ago up to Manchester. I know its horses for courses etc but so much happier here.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:39 pm

beshocked wrote:Disagree no 7 & 1/2. I think Haskell showed the physicality we wanted from him against Wales in the first game of the 6 nations if not the ability to avoid running into rugby posts!

Quite agree. I can think of only a handful of games where Haskell has showed the sort of effectiveness he could bring to that 6 shirt and to be fair to Lancaster, he gave a him a go after that Wales game. I think we need to appreciate that having one decent carrier in your pack isn't going to cut the mustard.

Robshaw and the like are willing but not powerful enough to share the load effectively. Thus it has been reduced to Billy or Morgan. Having a Ewers type at 6 would work better for England, Launchbury is industrious as hell but Parling, much like Borthwick before, couldn't carry through a wet paper bag. Having, purely for hypothetical example, 6. Ewers 7. Kvesic 8. B Morgan would drastically change that carrying perspective. I hear cries about the line-out but you don't need a back 5 of Devin Toners to make a line-out work.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:41 pm

All 3 are pretty decent in the lineout to be fair as well.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:52 pm

Yes I think if you had say 4. J Launchbury 5. G Kruis? (Who is being groomed as the next England line-out guru??) 6. D Ewers 7. M Kvesic 8. B Morgan I think that could be a really effective pack. We are nonetheless back to inexperience again though.

That's my main concern if Lancs et al are retained. If they learn the lessons are they learning the RIGHT lessons? Will the approach be stick with all the members of the team and give them another four years together playing safe-style rugby? If that's the case then a lot of fans would be disenchanted I think.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Oct 2015, 4:59 pm

Chjw131 wrote:Yes I think if you had say 4. J Launchbury 5. G Kruis? Kitchener6. D Ewers 7. M Kvesic 8. B Morgan I think that could be a really effective pack. We are nonetheless back to inexperience again though.

That's my main concern if Lancs et al are retained. If they learn the lessons are they learning the RIGHT lessons? Will the approach be stick with all the members of the team and give them another four years together playing safe-style rugby? If that's the case then a lot of fans would be disenchanted I think.

I think that back 5 has it all.....

Of course "IF" Beaumont continues his progression at 8...you have a lineout option and a more running type of 8 that could still fit in that back 5.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:00 pm

Beaumont wearing 4 for Sale this weekend.

Now where have I seen that image before?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:02 pm

Ah right so scratch him off....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:03 pm

Hmm, a player who can play lock, blindside or number 8.

Definitely don't need one of those

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Oct 2015, 5:08 pm

Depends where he spends most of his time Bam Bam.

Another to mention and watch is Elliott Stooke. Suffered a bit last year but hopfully will come back to the form that got us talking about him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Oct 2015, 8:58 pm

Well kvesic is showing how to play openside.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm

Geordie I admire your tenacity. Kvesic would be fine if you get the balance between 4 5 6 and 8 right

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:50 am

fa0019 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:You can and I do criticise Haskell for a number of things but physically he's in amazing shape for a 6.

Physically he's in amazing shape...but right for a rugby player or right for a bodybuilder? He is huge, absolutely huge but he was much better 3-4 years ago and if anything he's a lot slower and his effectiveness has been reduced. Someone should have tapped him on the shoulder. Players are adults yes... but they're not sports scientists, they're not fitness trainers and in many instances they should have teams of experts around them telling them what to do.

It simply looks lacking in England. Look at Kaino, Lydiate, Burger, Fardy, POM. Any of those look like they're competing on Mt Olympus?

He's taller and probably less well-built than Pocock, I don't think anyone has a problem with his physique. Jerry Collins did OK too. Sonny Bill Williams? There's a stack of top players of a similar size. He's a perfectly reasonable build for a rugby player - more powerful, quicker and as good a work rate as any other current England 6. World class? Probably not, but still been our best, and under-appreciated.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:52 am

Haskell is a player that fits the bill, until he has a game where he's not deemed one of the stand outs, and he's dropped...for worse players in worse form. He's only frustrating if you expect him to be a Pocock, McCaw type.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:55 am

Chjw131 wrote:

Quite agree. I can think of only a handful of games where Haskell has showed the sort of effectiveness he could bring to that 6 shirt and to be fair to Lancaster, he gave a him a go after that Wales game. I think we need to appreciate that having one decent carrier in your pack isn't going to cut the mustard.

Robshaw and the like are willing but not powerful enough to share the load effectively. Thus it has been reduced to Billy or Morgan. Having a Ewers type at 6 would work better for England, Launchbury is industrious as hell but Parling, much like Borthwick before, couldn't carry through a wet paper bag. Having, purely for hypothetical example, 6. Ewers 7. Kvesic 8. B Morgan would drastically change that carrying perspective. I hear cries about the line-out but you don't need a back 5 of Devin Toners to make a line-out work.

God I sound like a massive Haskell fan boy here. But if you can think of a handful of games where he's been effective, have a think of any of his rivals having a better record at international level. They don't. In the case of Wood, I can think of a single decent game, and yet Haskell's 'inconsistency' crops up again and again. Better to have someone occasionally great and otherwise OK than have a complete dud plodder like Wood

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:57 am

RubyGuby wrote:Haskell is now 30 - If it was going to happen it would have by now - useful bench player but as inconsistent as they come and a potential penalty machine.

thumbsup

Do you think Wood is better or more consistent? Not a chance. Better to have a player who is either OK or very good than someone consistently rubbish.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 17 Oct 2015, 2:28 am

Hood83 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Haskell is now 30 - If it was going to happen it would have by now - useful bench player but as inconsistent as they come and a potential penalty machine.

thumbsup

Do you think Wood is better or more consistent? Not a chance. Better to have a player who is either OK or very good than someone consistently rubbish.
Haskell certainly knows where the goal posts are..............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 17 Oct 2015, 7:26 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

thumbsup

Haskell certainly knows where the goal posts are..............
laughing
If only he knew his way to the base.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Oct 2015, 7:57 am

None of the flankers have done much. Does that not flag an issue with the set up / tactics...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:None of the flankers have done much. Does that not flag an issue with the set up / tactics...
I mentioned my misgivings on that count in the George Ford thread. Along with leadership, goalkicking and back five bench strategy, our back row options are a regular concern for me.  Playing both Billy Vunipola and Ben Morgan seems like an outright admission that we won't have enough ball carriers if one comes off. However, keeping one in reserve severely limits our back row flexibility.

Lancaster might argue that England have a good enough record of wins that we shouldn't have to select the matchday squad on the assumption that we'll need to change our strategy mid-game. Plan A has usually worked, and many other international teams select a bench for more of the same too.

Any yet, when the wheels have fallen off, it's cost us dearly at key moments.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:38 am

Like Wales - Plan A works until you meet a top team in top form then its limitations appear.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:20 pm

TJ wrote:Like Wales - Plan A works until you meet a top team in top form then its limitations appear.
The same thought occurred to me, but I'm wary of suggesting Wales have limitations as a team when they've just knocked England out of the cup.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
TJ wrote:Like Wales - Plan A works until you meet a top team in top form then its limitations appear.
The same thought occurred to me, but I'm wary of suggesting Wales have limitations as a team when they've just knocked England out of the cup.

I'm not sure we had a plan A. If we did, it ended up being horribly confused. Lancaster's attempts to create an 'all court' team may be a positive, there is a good argument for that direction of travel, but in reality he's not done it in 4 years. In fact, not only can we not yet play an expansive game with confidence when under pressure, we've now lost our traditional set piece strengths. Maybe that transition was inevitably going to lead to an awkward period, but it shouldn't have been 4yrs in at a home WC. It's a dog's breakfast.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:59 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

I'm not sure we had a plan A. If we did, it ended up being horribly confused. Lancaster's attempts to create an 'all court' team may be a positive, there is a good argument for that direction of travel, but in reality he's not done it in 4 years. In fact, not only can we not yet play an expansive game with confidence when under pressure, we've now lost our traditional set piece strengths. Maybe that transition was inevitably going to lead to an awkward period, but it shouldn't have been 4yrs in at a home WC. It's a dog's breakfast.
BUt the squad have a great culture.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Oct 2015, 3:01 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:None of the flankers have done much. Does that not flag an issue with the set up / tactics...
our back row options are a regular concern for me.  Playing both Billy Vunipola and Ben Morgan seems like an outright admission that we won't have enough ball carriers if one comes off. However, keeping one in reserve severely limits our back row flexibility.

The problem is that Lancaster (and his coaches) have consistently played back row players who don't offer carrying capabilities. Likewise his second rows.

Marler has never brought his carrying game to this level...so your left with Billy or Ben at 8...and Tom Youngs at hooker. That's just not enough.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by rozakthegoon Sat 17 Oct 2015, 5:11 pm

So it suddenly dawned on me today that there is a fair chance it will be Sean Edwards. Thoughts?

rozakthegoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 17 Oct 2015, 5:49 pm

As head coach no.

As defence coach....well he'd certainly put some fire back in the English bellies....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by rozakthegoon Sat 17 Oct 2015, 5:51 pm

I'm not saying I want him. I just think we may end up with him.

rozakthegoon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 17 Oct 2015, 7:56 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

My view is a year or two ago England were going in the right direction. You have some very good attacking players especially in the back 3. You were starting to show some good stuff like beating NZ. I think however Lancaster bottled it trying to select a team to negate the opposition instead of imposing your own game plan on the opposition. I think the team lost direction and cohesion as a result and the players did not believe in the tactics being employed and you lost the good stuff. counter attacking at speed and outplaying the opposition in attack. I still think its almost there but lancasters tactical limitations have been horribly exposed, tht and ( like scotland) you don't have a captain. Add POC to england and they would be so much better with a real on pitch leader.

I hate Mike Brown but he is a real attacking threat. Ditto your wings and Ford. give them the ball and let them play. The centre selections were awful in this WC - Yo have some dangerous players out there - FFS play them! rather than trying to beat Wales at Gatlandball simply beat them in your own way. Select the attacking players and let them go! NOt having a 7 really cost as well

So - get a 7 in the team. Pick the most dangerous backs and let them play with freedom. Your most dangerous runners hardly saw the ball even if they got in the team.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 17 Oct 2015, 8:00 pm

TJ wrote:
I hate Mike Brown
He's a thoroughly lovely chap compared to Stuart Hogg Smile

You don't really 'hate' him, do you?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 17 Oct 2015, 8:35 pm

Talking tactics and in particular the backrow not playing well. What happened to the tactic of Robshaw at first receiver popping offloads to the backs? In his first season under Lancaster he did this out standingly but it seems to have completely stopped now. It could really have helped Ford in some of his games when he was on the back foot.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 17 Oct 2015, 10:12 pm

Cyril wrote:
TJ wrote:
I hate Mike Brown

Ohh - really - Didier Hoggba is a get alright - but Brown is a nasty english get Whistle

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 18 Oct 2015, 7:43 pm

Surely after the performance the scots put in vs Aus SL and Co all have to go with immediate effect.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 18 Oct 2015, 7:49 pm

Is Groucho Marx still alive ?

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 18 Oct 2015, 7:50 pm

TJ wrote:
Cyril wrote:
TJ wrote:
I hate Mike Brown

Ohh - really - Didier Hoggba is a get alright - but Brown is a nasty english get Whistle

Well that is good. England need a few more hate figures with a bit of attitude in the squad. Because we are woefully insipid in the attitude department. Among several other lacking areas.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:06 pm

Like it Gregor. Cool

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:31 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Surely after the performance the scots put in vs Aus SL and Co all have to go with immediate effect.  

Are the scots not allowed to play better than us?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 18 Oct 2015, 8:42 pm

TY TJ
kiss

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next