The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny Performance vs Floyd

+11
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
Nico the gman
Dipper Brown
TopHat24/7
Derbymanc
catchweight
hazharrison
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
AdamT
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Manny Performance vs Floyd Empty Manny Performance vs Floyd

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:24 am

I was bored last night, so decided to sit down and watch the fight again.

The fight has been seen as a stinker, but if you forget the hype and just sit back and watch it, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Ok it was far from a thriller and highly unlikely, would it be a fight I would recommend as a much watch.

Anyway, too many people (me included) have bashed Manny for his performance. He didn't do what many expected him to do. Part of that was down to Floyds brilliance and his movement. Perhaps another part was down to Floyd landing them hard rights in the first couple rounds, which made Manny a little hesitant to just jump in and get countered. The ghost of Marquez would surely still have been fresh in his memory.

What Manny did do good, was actually make Floyd miss some. Floyd did land more punches than Manny, but a lot of Floyd's own shots were mere glancing blows. I thought that Manny showed a lot of good defence in this fight. Floyd in my opinion won 9 rounds, but a lot of the rounds, there really wasn't all that much in it.

To cut a long story short, it is easy at the time to get frustrated with Pacquiao and expect more. But he was up against the best boxer of the era and a man that held many physical advantages in height and reach etc. I think he did box well and was a lot more competitive than many would have you believe. I have seen a lot of nonsense floating about that Floyd won this fight easy. Yes it was clear to see he won the more rounds, but as I have already stated, many of the rounds were very close.

It wasn't a classic matchup, but on another viewing it was good seeing two great, skilled fighters match wits and try to use speed and movement to gain an advantage over the other.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Manny Performance vs Floyd Empty Re: Manny Performance vs Floyd

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:36 am

Good thread but have to disagree with some of it.

Floyd won that fight easy imo. Cotto was more of a test for Floyd in a fight that he won but Floyd was under pressure. Cotto does not get enough credit for his performance that night.

And if you ask me Floyd would have beaten the Manny that blew away Barrera, Hatton and co.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 am

I agree that Cotto pushed him more. He was more physical than Manny, but that was to be expected.

I don't think Manny was Floyd's hardest fight, but Floyd was on high alert the whole time. Floyd took no chances and fought a very smart fight.

The point of the thread was to show that Manny also adapted during the fight. The first couple of rounds Floyd did win quite easily by setting traps, then landing the right hand. After round three Manny wasn't getting caught flush often and showed some good defence of his own.

I do agree that Floyd would of won any time, if they had fought earlier.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I have my own opinion on this and you all know what it is, I'm one of the very few that think Manny gave Floyd his toughest fight.

He landed the harder shots, he landed the better shots, Floyd touched him more, but half the punches he landed wouldn't be scored in amateur contests, Manny's defence was brilliant and Floyd never really managed to figure him out, contrary to what most believe. Floyd pulled his punches at the end just to connect.

This fight in slow motion is a brilliant watch, it shows how technically brilliant both fighters are and I challenge anyone to try and appreciate the fight in real time, it just cannot be done.

After this fight I realised how much I under rated Pacquiao, just because Marquez beat him and seems to have his number, doesn't mean everyone else does. He is a superb boxer a great counter puncher and will absolutely muller Khan no question in my mind. There seems to be some ridiculous opinion that Pacquiao can't beat boxers and anyone with an ounce of boxing skill will beat him, proven wrong by the fact he beat Bradley AND Algeiri recently.

Crawford will have his hands full if that fight ever happens and I expect Manny to give him a pasting.

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I agree with some of your post and I have watched the fight in slow motion.

I don't think any other welter would of beat Manny on May 2nd. He is a shrewd operator. His offence is not quite what it used to be, but his defence has definitely improved since his loss to JMM.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Also I would like to add, I too think he beats the snot out of Khan for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:20 pm

AdamT wrote:I agree with some of your post and I have watched the fight in slow motion.

I don't think any other welter would of beat Manny on May 2nd. He is a shrewd operator. His offence is not quite what it used to be, but his defence has definitely improved since his loss to JMM.

I won't argue if you had Floyd winning, I did just, but I have to admire the brilliance of Pacquiao that night, he impressed me far more and for people to say he didn't show up is just down right disrespectful.

I can see why Manny thought he won as well, never seen Floyd caught that clean before.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 pm

It's funny how you see a fight different second time around. Personally I can't quite make a case for Manny winning, but he was not out classed by any means.

The speed and skill of both fighters are amazing.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:25 pm

What have you two been smoking?

It was a dismal fight - the worst anti-climax in boxing history and you two are watching it in slow motion?

Sweet Baby Jesus.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Haz away back and watch the slow robot knock out bin men. Me and boxingfan88 are talking about the 2 elite boxers of the last decade.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:35 pm

No chance Id watch it again. I thought it was a rubbish fight even notwithstanding the hype around it. Both fighters were faded, Pacquiao was injured to boot but took the money. In my lifetime of boxing, I think the Mayweather/Pacquiao episode has been the most pathetic circus that has happened. Total sham.

As far the fight, first time round I thought Mayweather won but most rounds very little happened. Il stick with that. I certainly didnt see the Mayweather masterclass without breaking sweat that his fans were crowing. Marcos Maidana gave him a far sterner examination in both fights.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Funny how many say both were faded. Both guys were like lightning that night. Do you boys understand boxing??

You do know it isn't always like a Rocky film and some fights are like chess matches??

Maybe it's why I have always been a Floyd fan. I do appreciate the skill level and understand that boxing isn't just a brawl.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Not as funny as those pretending it was a Mayweather masterclass over yet another faded fighter.

You must have started watching boxing a year ago if you cant see how both fighters were pretty well faded.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:47 pm

They both looked pretty fast to me. Might not be at their absolute peak, but both beat Queen Khan and Brook with plenty to spare.

I started watching boxing 18months ago. You were close!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:22 pm

AdamT wrote:It's funny how you see a fight different second time around. Personally I can't quite make a case for Manny winning, but he was not out classed by any means.

The speed and skill of both fighters are amazing.

And I'm fine with that

Still have Floyd Mayweather fans telling me "Easy Work" "TBE" "Domination"

Which is laughable imo

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:23 pm

AdamT wrote:They both looked pretty fast to me. Might not be at their absolute peak, but both beat Queen Khan and Brook with plenty to spare.

I started watching boxing 18months ago. You were close!

I've been watching boxing since 2007 and in slo mo when you can actually see what is happening, its a superb display.

Like you said, any other welterweight would have lost to Manny that night

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:25 pm

I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, know it's not for everybody but it was for me. (And I normally hate defensive minded fights)
Thought Floyd outclassed Manny tbh and shown that whilst Manny is a step above everyone else, Floyd is a step above him (oh and I can't stand the arrogant git either)

As has been shown a lot, don't think Manny's injury was anywhere near as bad (if there was one at all) and think he talked himself out of a rematch by being such a bad sportsman (Think that rankled with a lot of people too after having it spouted about what a great guy he is geee whiz)

As Catchy states, both fighters were faded which takes the shine off it all but enjoyable for what it was (wouldn't have paid 50 quid for it though)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Fair post Derby. I think the rounds were actually very close on the second viewing. Both fighters perhaps not at their very best, but imo better than any other Welters out there.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Maybe they should start transmitting all boxing matches in slow motion

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:33 pm

When fighters are as fast as both these guys, it is difficult to catch everything at full speed. I didn't watch the full fight in slow motion, but did see highlights.

Sure we can all watch GGG. He punches slow enough against sh1t opponents, so not too hard to see if they land or not.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Nah Id stick to watching stuff in slow motion if I were you.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:22 pm

Cheers for the advice!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Nah that would get into daft territory then, decisions wouldn't be back for a week until the judges had watched it at a certain speed etc and they'd be making excuses till the cows come home as to why x should have won.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Haha, good one Derby!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi guys. I've just been watching Klitschko vs Ibragimov in slow motion. Can I just say........what a CRACKING fight. Some real skill on show there. Well worth watching (make sure to watch in slow motion though, in real time it can, just can, look a bit boring, ho, ho, ho!).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Just watched Marvin Hagler vs Leonard in slow motion. Ray still won the fight clearly and only an idiot would say otherwise!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:57 pm

AdamT wrote:Just watched Marvin Hagler vs Leonard in slow motion. Ray still won the fight clearly and only an idiot would say otherwise!

Do you know who they are?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Aye Marvin Hagler is the guy that tried to feast on smaller fighters and was afraid of Michael spinks.

The other guy was a five division champion generally regarded as one of the best fighters ever!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Can anyone explain to me why we're talking about slow motion?????????? or is it just an excuse for an argument????????????

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:11 pm

There was a post on youtube, that shows a clip of Manny vs Floyd. It was from a Pacquiao fan, trying to show that Floyds punches often missed their target.

There is no argument. When a guy that thinks a ten time, 6 division world champ is overrated, yet thinks a guy that dominates no name fighters in a weak division is great, he is either:

A. Massive troll
B. Not all there

If it is B I am genuinely sorry Haz.

Last edited by AdamT on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:12 pm

AdamT wrote:Aye Marvin Hagler is the guy that tried to feast on smaller fighters and was afraid of Michael spinks.

And you seriously wonder why people think you're a Truss alias?

Do you have any original thoughts or do you just search Truss' posting history for ideas???

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:15 pm

why did he stay at Middle and fight smaller guys then?

Why did he throw his dummy from his pram when the far better boxer came back from a long layoff and beat him?

I do admit I got that from Truss. He is right though, Hagler loved his comfort zone.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:18 pm

AdamT wrote:Aye Marvin Hagler is the guy that tried to feast on smaller fighters and was afraid of Michael spinks.

The other guy was a five division champion generally regarded as one of the best fighters ever!

Jesus it's Truss-lite. Low calorie drivel.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:20 pm

AdamT wrote:There was a post on youtube, that shows a clip of Manny vs Floyd. It was from a Pacquiao fan, trying to show that Floyds punches often missed their target.

There is no argument. When a guy that thinks a ten time, 6 division world champ is overrated, yet thinks a guy that dominates no name fighters in a weak division is great, he is either:

A. Massive troll
B. Not all there

If it is B I am genuinely sorry Haz.

When a guy who started watching boxing 18 months ago tries to argue about fighters he never watched and has no idea about, he needs to either:

A. Pipe down
B. Pipe down

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Only 18months Haz and I CAN score a fight.

I

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Yeah I saw that Ad, that's why I mentioned about fans arguing. Find it ridiculous myself but hey ho. Why does it matter how long someones been watching boxing for, if they understand it then they understand. This elitism that happens is pants

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:32 pm

I have been watching boxing longer than 18 months. To be honest does it really matter how long?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:35 pm

AdamT wrote:I have been watching boxing longer than 18 months. To be honest does it really matter how long?

Have you been watching since the 80s Adam?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:37 pm

I was born in 84, perhaps you can figure that out??

Anyway even if I watched for a year, it would be a year longer than yourself.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Jesus, you're in your 30s?????

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Wow!!!

You can actually tell someone is in their 30's, if they were born in the 80's?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:58 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Jesus, you're in your 30s?????

Sorry didn't realise you were speaking to Jesus? Are you ok man?  you aren't having visions are you??

Do you want me to ring a doctor?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Well, this one took a turn for the stupid pretty quickly didn't it? Any chance of a Mayweather Manny amnesty for five minutes? Maybe allow some sanity to prevail at least until after the Fury fight this weekend!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:32 pm

[quote="AdamT"]I was bored last night, so decided to sit down and watch the fight again.

The fight has been seen as a stinker, but if you forget the hype and just sit back and watch it, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Ok it was far from a thriller and highly unlikely, would it be a fight I would recommend as a much watch.

Anyway, too many people (me included) have bashed Manny for his performance. He didn't do what many expected him to do. Part of that was down to Floyds brilliance and his movement. Perhaps another part was down to Floyd landing them hard rights in the first couple rounds, which made Manny a little hesitant to just jump in and get countered. The ghost of Marquez would surely still have been fresh in his memory.

What Manny did do good, was actually make Floyd miss some. Floyd did land more punches than Manny, but a lot of Floyd's own shots were mere glancing blows. I thought that Manny showed a lot of good defence in this fight. Floyd in my opinion won 9 rounds, but a lot of the rounds, there really wasn't all that much in it.

To cut a long story short, it is easy at the time to get frustrated with Pacquiao and expect more. But he was up against the best boxer of the era and a man that held many physical advantages in height and reach etc. I think he did box well and was a lot more competitive than many would have you believe. I have seen a lot of nonsense floating about that Floyd won this fight easy. Yes it was clear to see he won the more rounds, but as I have already stated, many of the rounds were very close.

It wasn't a classic matchup, but on another viewing it was good seeing two great, skilled fighters match wits and try to use speed and movement to gain an advantage over the other.[/quote]

Surely bored doesn't come close! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:09 pm

AdamT wrote:why did he stay at Middle and fight smaller guys then?

Why did he throw his dummy from his pram when the far better boxer came back from a long layoff and beat him?

I do admit I got that from Truss. He is right though, Hagler loved his comfort zone.
Hagler virtually wiped the Middleweight division out, the smaller guys you talk about won world titles at higher weights and are ATG fighters.

Hagler stayed at middleweight because that's what he was a middleweight and is an ATG middleweight himself.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:11 pm

To be fair I wrecked my share of threads. So this was always going to get hijacked.

Must get back to my colour book. The next picture are the decent opponents GGG has faced. Shouldn't take too long.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:14 pm

Ive always been perplexed by the fascination with slow mo boxing videos. Manny and Floyd are good, call them supreme athletes if you want. But what boxer in the world has hands so fast you can't see their punches?!

They're humans, not the flash FFS!!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:17 pm

If I had eyes like Haz I could read Bert Sugars opinions and score fights at the same time.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:17 pm

I still get bored hearing that Manny Pacquaio was scared to throw caution to the wind.

Just because you think that is all he can do doesnt mean it is.

Pacquiao at times out boxed Floyd, just because he threw less doesn't mean ANYTHING

If you have a preconcieved opinion of how Pacquiao should fight and he is so one dimensional he cant do anything else, then its exactly the same story I keep hearing.

Score the fight like you have never seen either before, don't start pretending like you know what Manny's game plan was.

Of course he wasn't going to be stupid, he was cautious because of Marquez, but Floyd was barely hitting him, the one that connected big was Pacquiao. Everytime Pacquiao tried to get close and throw Floyd held him, so Pacquiao adapted and started counter punching the counter puncher, he isn't some moron, he has incredible boxing skills that are still to this day VASTLY under rated

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:Ive always been perplexed by the fascination with slow mo boxing videos. Manny and Floyd are good, call them supreme athletes if you want. But what boxer in the world has hands so fast you can't see their punches?!

They're humans, not the flash FFS!!

But they are, because Pacquiaos hands are ridiculously fast a LOT of punches Floyd threw I thought landed actually miss and then Pacquiao nails him with the counter. Just go and watch it and you will be surprised how much you actually missed. Also subtely rolling with punches where they move their head back to avoid it looks like a snapping connect when it barely glances.

I cannot watch the fight in real time because I just can't see what happens.

I mean the commentators at Sky had an absolute mare, crowing for punches that miss the target.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next