The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+61
DaveM
Recwatcher16
chris_501
whocares
RDW
Pot Hale
PhilBB
Knackeredknees
nathan
international198
Driver
TheMildlyFranticLlama
kingelderfield
stnick88
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
englishborn
LordDowlais
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
beshocked
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
geoff999rugby
MonkeyOwain12
exile jack
Fluxy
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
profitius
Margin_Walker
munkian
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
BamBam
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
stub
Bathman_in_London
True Raven
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
demosthenes
Welly
yappysnap
Bathite
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
65 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 7 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 04 Mar 2016, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Aaron Jarvis has signed for Clermont (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ospreys-prop-jarvis-to-join-clermont/). The Osprey's signed Rhodri Jones as a replacement I guess.

Steve Shingler (of is he eligible for Scotland or not fame) has gone to the Blues. Straight swap of Shingler for Patchell. Hope Cardiff are paying less as Scarlets got the better player (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/shingler-swaps-scarlets-for-blues/)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 7 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 May 2016, 11:59 am

Touched a nerve there!

You Tigers fans can be so precious at times Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 7 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:00 pm

Hardly a nerve its call a comeback.

Anyone got the AP tackling stats?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 May 2016, 12:01 pm

Are you 12 Welly, as that's one of the most childish comments I think I've read on here.

I was making a personally reasonable comment about a player I had never heard of so had to research, not sure it required a 'comeback' as such.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:04 pm

No you mentioned that being in a relegation team means that tackling stats are not a fair relection on it and how you could of finished top of the tackling stats in that team.

But that isn't the case on the whole, relegation teams tend to have the poor tackling numbers.

But yes it was childish.

Last edited by Welly on Mon 02 May 2016, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:06 pm

Welly wrote: Hardly a nerve its call a comeback.

Haha...really not a nerve?

A poster questions a signing and you go on the attack stating his club are in free fall through the leagues!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 02 May 2016, 12:07 pm

Hamilton is an ex Cardiff flanker, good defensively but not a great carrier or lineout forward. He must be chuffed, a contract with Leicester Tigers after having been released by Cardiff!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:13 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Welly wrote: Hardly a nerve its call a comeback.

Haha...really not a nerve?

A poster questions a signing and you go on the attack stating his club are in free fall through the leagues!

Yes I prob went over road a bit. (Although it was slightly in jest hence the Wink )

I have stated here multiple times that I think Irish will really benefit going down a season (as long as they don't do a Bristol). Esp with there academy in such strong form ATM.

But it prob was to soon and to choppy a comment to make so sorry.

TBH the comment about being a top tackler in a relegated team means nothing did annoy me though.

Seagultaf wrote:Hamilton is an ex Cardiff flanker, good defensively but not a great carrier or lineout forward. He must be chuffed, a contract with Leicester Tigers after having been released by Cardiff!

Fingers crossed it turns out like the last flanker Wales released that was picked up by a English club

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 May 2016, 12:17 pm

I can't say I'd ever heard of Luke Hamilton. My initial suggestion would be that Cockers is looking to use Slater and Fitzgerald less in the back row and more in their natural position at lock so he's signed a squad flanker. With Mike Williams coming back from injury that's already covered though.

6.Mike Williams, Croft, Will Owen
7.O'Connor, McCaffery, Thacker, Will Evans
8.Fonau, Crane

Will Owen = England u20 flanker who looks a good prospect
Will Evans = Very promising openside who played against Gloucs and again vs Worcs, most want him to get more game time

That's our back row resources prior to Hamilton being signed.

The only back row signing I really wanted (in dream world) was a number 8 to challenge the best packs in the biggest games. You only have to look at the effect Masoe had against us for Racing to see what an excellent 8 can add to a side. Saints are bringing in Picamoles, Sarries - Billy V, Wasps - Hughes, etc. I don't think we have the cap/money left for that kind of signing though so I wasn't expecting anything other than a squad number 8 - Paul Grant from the championship was rumoured - to complete our back row resources.

Is Hamilton a number 8 or flanker does anyone know? In fairness McCaffery was the last uninspiring back row signing with an uncertain position that Cockers signed and he's been fantastic so I'll try to reserve my judgement for now...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 02 May 2016, 12:18 pm

Welly, I'm not fussed about the comments about my team, we've been gash, hence we're going down. I just found your response odd. Do you genuinely think this kid is an inspiring signing? I'd never heard of him, and as my Mrs will attest to, I watch a hell of a lot of rugby.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:19 pm

Haha...fair enough Welly.

It's a tough stat to get any context from really. Agen are pretty awful so you'd expect a backrow player to have high tackle stats. How effective are these tackles though? Is his completion high or just numbers?

I've seen very little of him so really can't add.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:19 pm

Would say he is prob going to do a job that Mike Williams does (when he is fit).

One thing we have missed since Williams has been out is another out and out tackler almost.

I can't see Owen staying really TBH, and I can see McCaffrey being used mainly @8 next season.

Crane linked with Bristol if promoted.

Could see it being next season
6) Williams, Hamilton, Croft
7) O'Connor, Evans
8) McCaffrey, Fonua, Milne

Would allow Fitzy and Slater to focus on lock and would mean our need for potentially another lock goes down.

Last edited by Welly on Mon 02 May 2016, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 12:24 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Haha...fair enough Welly.

It's a tough stat to get any context from really. Agen are pretty awful so you'd expect a backrow player to have high tackle stats. How effective are these tackles though? Is his completion high or just numbers?

I've seen very little of him so really can't add.

Ozzy3213 wrote:Welly, I'm not fussed about the comments about my team, we've been gash, hence we're going down.  I just found your response odd.  Do you genuinely think this kid is an inspiring signing?  I'd never heard of him, and as my Mrs will attest to, I watch a hell of a lot of rugby.

Do I think he will be an out and out starter no.

Do I think we need more people who can make first up tackles esp in the tight (judging by a few of the games this season with Mike Williams and Tom Youngs out) most certainly yes.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 02 May 2016, 12:57 pm

Carlos, Hamilton played both 6 and 8 in his younger days in wales. Welly, as Freddie burns has control of the no 10 shirt at Leicester, would Owen Williams likely be released at all if he's not happy playing second fiddle?

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 1:01 pm

True Raven wrote:Carlos, Hamilton played both 6 and 8 in his younger days in wales.  Welly, as Freddie burns has control of the no 10 shirt at Leicester, would Owen Williams likely be released at all if he's not happy playing second fiddle?

No chance of Owen being released before his contract (which ends next season) None at all.

Esp with there being fek all 10's about ATM all seem to be in contract, and the only ones rumoured to be released all have question marks over them.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 May 2016, 1:26 pm

Welly wrote:Would say he is prob going to do a job that Mike Williams does (when he is fit).

One thing we have missed since Williams has been out is another out and out tackler almost.

I can't see Owen staying really TBH, and I can see McCaffrey being used mainly @8 next season.

Crane linked with Bristol if promoted.

Could see it being next season
6) Williams, Hamilton, Croft
7) O'Connor, Evans
8) McCaffrey, Fonua, Milne

Would allow Fitzy and Slater to focus on lock and would mean our need for potentially another lock goes down.

I'd find it odd if Crane left given next season is intended to be his testimonial. Briz have the money to offer him a contract to make up for it though in all fairness. Obviously he'll just want game time as well.

If Owen has a reasonable chance of game time on either flank then I think he'd stay, which as third choice blindside behind Williams/Croft he might have. If Hamilton is covering as well then I'd understand him leaving. It sparks to me of the type of squad signing over promoting a youngster decision that we've lamented a few times recently.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 1:30 pm

I don't know i'm still on the fence over Owen.

Mauger and cockers clearly has a vision of a 6 who is big enforcer, hence them main ones this season being Williams, Fitzgerald and Slater. (If Croft wasn't Croft i suspect he would of been off), and Owen just isn't that type of 6 IMO. Like how Gibson wasn't what we wanted ideally in a 6 despite his form.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 02 May 2016, 1:41 pm

Tigers sign Luke Hamilton?

BEST SIGNING EVER!

Have you seen how many tackled he makes?! Whistle

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 02 May 2016, 1:44 pm

On a side note I always found talking up players tackle stats bizarre for a few reasons.

1. Usually the team without the ball make more tackles, and this isn't usually the best teams. Except Sarries
2. Any player can tackle, and if he's in a position that's in the thick of it will usually make more then others eg flanker
3. The guy that makes the most tackles isn't necessarily the best tackler, it's usually more gameplan allowing him to be there to tackle, probably more because he isn't a good jackaler or carrier, think lydiate and warburton

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 1:45 pm

warning raspberry Rolling Eyes

yappysnap wrote:On a side note I always found talking up players tackle stats bizarre for a few reasons.

1. Usually the team without the ball make more tackles, and this isn't usually the best teams. Except Sarries
2. Any player can tackle, and if he's in a position that's in the thick of it will usually make more then others eg flanker
3. The guy that makes the most tackles isn't necessarily the best tackler, it's usually more gameplan allowing him to be there to tackle, probably more because he isn't a good jackaler or carrier, think lydiate and warburton

Tell that to Tigers players at times this season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Mon 02 May 2016, 2:03 pm

Top tackle stats themselves won't tell you a great deal, as often it will just go to a durable/ever present back rower in an under-performing team. Tackle completion % and Tackles per 80 minutes are probably more reliable measures. But even the latter there will naturally tend to favour players who play a in teams who find themselves without the ball a lot of the time.

That said, plenty of players have come into the league without big reps and have done well and I assume Cockers/Mauger know the sort of players they are after.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 May 2016, 2:07 pm

If Hamilton is mobile with good hands as well as being tackle happy then he'll be ok squad cover. If he's another big lad that is too short to play lock I'm going to be annoyed. Especially if Will Owen leaves as a result.

Owen Williams is going nowhere. Burns is currently in control of the ten shirt but Williams was in that position a year ago and we're not holding back from rotating them so he'll get game time to try and change the coaches minds. With rumours surrounding our brightest academy prospect I can't see the coaches allowing him to go with no immediate back up, no alternatives easily available and no outstanding academy prospect who can be relied upon.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 May 2016, 2:14 pm

Watching footage of him i would prob describe him as a mix of Lockie and Mike.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 May 2016, 4:03 pm

That might work, both of those guys are very mobile and physical (very physical in Mike's case). More of the same wouldn't be a bad thing. I was open to Grant joining from Notts so if this is similar but a bit cheaper that would work.

Lions lock Franco Mostert, Toulon full-back Delon Armitage and Rebels fly-half Mike Harris are joined by Freddie Michelak in signing for Lyon for next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 May 2016, 4:11 pm

I wonder if Delon leaving and a less spectacular season might lead to Steffon following suit...

The brothers have always enjoyed playing together and whilst at one point Delon, Steffon and Guy were all at Toulon together now they will be spread out. Guy is heading to Wasps and they certainly need as good a replacement for George Smith as they can conjure up...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 02 May 2016, 4:52 pm

I think Wasps have signed Brussow

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 May 2016, 5:45 pm

Is that confirmed Sarge? I remember the rumours a few months back but haven't heard anything for a while.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 May 2016, 5:49 pm

That's certainly the rumour that went round. I've not seen an official announcement yet though. Doesn't mean they haven't signed him, they might just be waiting to announce it.

If Steffon was going to return I'd presume he'd have done it already. He's missed the RWC chance and now you'd presume there's not enough time to force his way into Lions reckoning.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 May 2016, 9:52 am

Not sure if posted but Saints sign a Saffer SH, Nic Groom.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 03 May 2016, 11:46 am

The Will Witty to Gloucester rumour is really building pace. Must be something in it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 03 May 2016, 12:05 pm

Ruaridh Jackson (sp) to Quins confirmed

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 03 May 2016, 12:59 pm

Jackson to Quins, interesting.....Decent backup to NEv and can cover Brown competently. That might give a bit of a kick up the B-side to Botica and Chisholm to raise their game.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 May 2016, 1:17 pm

BamBam wrote:Ruaridh Jackson (sp) to Quins confirmed

Good signing for Quins. If things go half well he will play more at 10 than any other player next season, with Botica not good enough and Evans old and fragile.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 03 May 2016, 1:47 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
BamBam wrote:Ruaridh Jackson (sp) to Quins confirmed

Good signing for Quins. If things go half well he will play more at 10 than any other player next season, with Botica not good enough and Evans old and fragile.
Very good signing indeed. He and Care are about as creative a halfback pairing as you'll get and he certainly knows how to get a backline moving.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 03 May 2016, 2:39 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Jackson to Quins, interesting.....Decent backup to NEv and can cover Brown competently.  That might give a bit of a kick up the B-side to Botica and Chisholm to raise their game.  

Botica may be off to Montpellier.

Think Jackson will be really good for us, with a run of games together Care, Jackson, Roberts look a good combo

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 04 May 2016, 12:44 pm

Nic Groom (Stormers) to Saints in time for next season.

Could be a good signing does this mean Kahn is moving on?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 04 May 2016, 12:44 pm

Michael Van Vurren to Bath confirmed.

He's a big, physical player who has improved Tigers scrum and looked good around the park the few times he's got on. Like most hookers these days I think the limbless black night from Monty Python could throw better than him in the line-out though.

He's by no means a starter though so I imagine Ford is still looking for a Webber replacement - preferably replacing what Webber did a couple of seasons ago rather than now.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 04 May 2016, 1:39 pm

Confirmed that Quins are losing Botica to Montpellier, Tibaldi to Treviso and Treadwell to Ulster.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 04 May 2016, 1:39 pm

Quins may need a third choice 10, or we may not.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Wed 04 May 2016, 1:51 pm

Well, three losses I'm not too worried about, as long as Ruiradh Jackson is up to snuff.

Are we hanging on to Swiel? I always thought we has a pretty decent option at 10 when he was with us for cover.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 04 May 2016, 2:57 pm

As far as I am aware Swiel is staying - but seen as more of a 15 than a 10.
Not sure why he hasn't been playing recently....injury?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 04 May 2016, 3:34 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Nic Groom (Stormers) to Saints in time for next season.

Could be a good signing does this mean Kahn is moving on?

Mallinder basically confirmed he was leaving by saying that groom would compete with a list of scrum halves at the club, which did not include Kahn. Rumour still is that he's coming to bath.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 04 May 2016, 3:44 pm

The express is claiming Sean Maitland is looking at moving to Saracens. Likely complete bs but as a Scotland fan I hope so!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 May 2016, 5:32 pm

He could offer competition for Wyles in the wing/fullback cover option. Maitland could find the squad rotation programme favouring Goode at 15 though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 04 May 2016, 5:35 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:The express is claiming Sean Maitland is looking at moving to Saracens. Likely complete bs but as a Scotland fan I hope so!

The Mail is saying it is Gloucester!

I think all we can say for sure is that he is going somewhere and it is very unlikely to be in Scotland. His agent is definitely putting him out there in the marketplace, nothing like waiting for the last game or anything like that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 May 2016, 9:43 pm

Wouldn't Glaws be better off targeting Franks and Symons from LI? They have pretty good back three options as is and Thorley the academy lad who has come in looks like another off the conveyor belt. Upgrades up front so they can deploy the fire power out wide has to be a priority surely?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 04 May 2016, 11:41 pm

Mail and Express the two big guns of rugby transfer news.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 05 May 2016, 8:34 am

Mike Spikey Phillips off to Sale next season
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 05 May 2016, 8:42 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Wouldn't Glaws be better off targeting Franks and Symons from LI? They have pretty good back three options as is and Thorley the academy lad who has come in looks like another off the conveyor belt. Upgrades up front so they can deploy the fire power out wide has to be a priority surely?

We couldn't go after Franks as we couldn't play him in the same 23 as Afoa and Thrush. I'd love us to get Symons as we're short at lock with Hudson retiring and Stooke and Hicks leaving. Nevertheless, we do need a FB, as McColl is confirmed as returning to Yorkshire and Cook hasn't been offered a new contract - for all his attacking flair he is a defensive liability and has sadly cost us a number of games. Tom Marshall will be our first choice FB; given how long he'd been out with injury he looks a class apart on the field and a full pre-season should see him be one of our top performers next season. With his English goldfish, I'd have him as an outside bet of representing England at some stage in the next few years, but perhaps that's my cherry tinted monocle talking...

Back to the case in hand, Maitland would add much needed strength in depth at FB and with Laidlaw and Matt Scott he'll have some Scottish buddies too.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 05 May 2016, 8:52 am

yappysnap wrote:Tigers sign Luke Hamilton?

BEST SIGNING EVER!

Have you seen how many tackled he makes?! Whistle

Luke Hamilton has been getting rave reviews in France. He always played well for Cardiff Blues when given the chance, although I think he is a little to small for an 8, perhaps he would make a good flanker though. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 May 2016, 9:19 am

LD we have looked best when playing two open sides and a physical, tackle happy blindside this season. Two of our open sides have experience covering 8 so we're tending to play an Australian style back row. We have all 20 plus stone of Fonua when we want a big 8 option and Crane is still around for the moment.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next