The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+61
DaveM
Recwatcher16
chris_501
whocares
RDW
Pot Hale
PhilBB
Knackeredknees
nathan
international198
Driver
TheMildlyFranticLlama
kingelderfield
stnick88
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
englishborn
LordDowlais
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
beshocked
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
geoff999rugby
MonkeyOwain12
exile jack
Fluxy
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
profitius
Margin_Walker
munkian
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
BamBam
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
stub
Bathman_in_London
True Raven
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
demosthenes
Welly
yappysnap
Bathite
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
65 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Mar 04 2016, 11:33

First topic message reminder :

Aaron Jarvis has signed for Clermont (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ospreys-prop-jarvis-to-join-clermont/). The Osprey's signed Rhodri Jones as a replacement I guess.

Steve Shingler (of is he eligible for Scotland or not fame) has gone to the Blues. Straight swap of Shingler for Patchell. Hope Cardiff are paying less as Scarlets got the better player (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/shingler-swaps-scarlets-for-blues/)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu May 05 2016, 10:01

BigGee wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:The express is claiming Sean Maitland is looking at moving to Saracens. Likely complete bs but as a Scotland fan I hope so!

The Mail is saying it is Gloucester!

I think all we can say for sure is that he is going somewhere and it is very unlikely to be in Scotland. His agent is definitely putting him out there in the marketplace, nothing like waiting for the last game or anything like that!

At the player sponsor night at London Irish last night, Maitland told his sponsor who is a close friend of mine that he does not have a relegation clause in his contract. He said the club have said that he playing budget has to be cut a bit and he is waiting to have talks with the club which won't happen until after the wasps game.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by BigGee Thu May 05 2016, 10:12

Ozzy3213 wrote:
BigGee wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:The express is claiming Sean Maitland is looking at moving to Saracens. Likely complete bs but as a Scotland fan I hope so!

The Mail is saying it is Gloucester!

I think all we can say for sure is that he is going somewhere and it is very unlikely to be in Scotland. His agent is definitely putting him out there in the marketplace, nothing like waiting for the last game or anything like that!

At the player sponsor night at London Irish last night, Maitland told his sponsor who is a close friend of mine that he does not have a relegation clause in his contract.  He said the club have said that he playing budget has to be cut a bit and he is waiting to have talks with the club which won't happen until after the wasps game.

They would be mad to keep him, he clearly does not want to be there and will be costing them a few quid. As I said before, this will be his agent touting him around and trying to drum up some interest. I am sure someone will bite, Glaws or Sarries would both be good moves for him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu May 05 2016, 10:16

Most Irish fans won't be to fussed if Maitland goes to be honest. He's a strange one, as ball in hand he's looked decent, but defensively at full back has been really poor, with some of it looking like a lack of commitment. That said, I think he just has a fairly lazy looking style if you know what I mean, and it may not be commitment issue at all. Either way, there's only really a handful of fans who i've spoken to who think he's done ok for us.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu May 05 2016, 10:25

Ozzy3213 wrote:Most Irish fans won't be to fussed if Maitland goes to be honest.  He's a strange one, as ball in hand he's looked decent, but defensively at full back has been really poor, with some of it looking like a lack of commitment.  That said, I think he just has a fairly lazy looking style if you know what I mean, and it may not be commitment issue at all.  Either way, there's only really a handful of fans who i've spoken to who think he's done ok for us.

Interestingly it was never his defensive work that was questioned for either Glasgow or Scotland and it was that all round aspect to his play that got him his Lions place. It was his lack of try scoring that baffled everyone Scottish, having seen the newsreels of him running them in at will for the Crusaders. He just never seem quite to back himself in the way that a true finisher like Visser always would. He is an outstanding athlete though, for whom rugby comes very easy. He can run very fast without it ever seeming like he is trying. I can see why people get annoyed at that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu May 05 2016, 11:03

HongKongCherry wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Wouldn't Glaws be better off targeting Franks and Symons from LI? They have pretty good back three options as is and Thorley the academy lad who has come in looks like another off the conveyor belt. Upgrades up front so they can deploy the fire power out wide has to be a priority surely?

We couldn't go after Franks as we couldn't play him in the same 23 as Afoa and Thrush. ...

Would of thought Afoa might of had a UK passport by now.

I personally don't think Symons will leave this season.

If they fail to come straight back up Though he will.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Thu May 05 2016, 11:17

Sale Sharks have signed up Mike Phillips for next season/.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu May 05 2016, 11:23

Well i guess there was a worry that Sale might have a 9 under the age of 30.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu May 05 2016, 11:25

Ozzy3213 wrote:Most Irish fans won't be to fussed if Maitland goes to be honest.  He's a strange one, as ball in hand he's looked decent, but defensively at full back has been really poor, with some of it looking like a lack of commitment.  That said, I think he just has a fairly lazy looking style if you know what I mean, and it may not be commitment issue at all.  Either way, there's only really a handful of fans who i've spoken to who think he's done ok for us.

Has McCusker featured for you much this season?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu May 05 2016, 11:52

McCusker has played are fair amount, he was a regular for large parts. My understanding is that he would like to stay, but the club won't make a decision on him until they've reviewed everything starting on Monday.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Thu May 05 2016, 12:07

Welly wrote: Well i guess there was a worry that Sale might have a 9 under the age of 30.

As a Sharks fan I do wish we had a younger good 9 to turn to. Mind you he would likely be poached/tempted away quite quickly by larger clubs. Be interesting to see how Phillips does, with Cips leaving I fear our backs will struggle more to make an impact, so a physical 9 might be in order for us to be challenging again for top 4 or even 6

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 05 2016, 12:22

Welly wrote: Well i guess there was a worry that Sale might have a 9 under the age of 30.

They've got Mitchell a former England under 20s scrum half. He's developing well but they probably don't want to risk him and so having two senior options means he can be drip fed into the first team. Sale are normally pretty good at developing their academy players, just not so good at keeping them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu May 05 2016, 12:48

Eoin Sheriff to London Scottish.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu May 05 2016, 13:18

Great signing for Quins http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Harlequins-confirm-Jonas-Mikalcius-signing/story-29227626-detail/story.html

I've always been very impressed with him, he's very raw, but definitely has potential to be an excellent player.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu May 05 2016, 13:25

Wonder why Glous where not interested?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu May 05 2016, 13:30

Welly wrote: Wonder why Glous where not interested?

I honestly don't know. It'll either be that with Ollie Thorley lined up to join the senior squad they felt we didn't need another raw winger; or perhaps more likely they consider his defence an issue. He is a relatively new winger and his alignment can be somewhat wayward! I'd have no doubt he could pick it up, but given that we're releasing Rob Cook on the grounds of defence it wouldn't surprise me if this were the reason. Nevertheless, I do think we've missed the opportunity to sign a very good prospect.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu May 05 2016, 13:33

HongKongCherry wrote:
Welly wrote: Wonder why Glous where not interested?

I honestly don't know. It'll either be that with Ollie Thorley lined up to join the senior squad they felt we didn't need another raw winger; or perhaps more likely they consider his defence an issue. He is a relatively new winger and his alignment can be somewhat wayward! I'd have no doubt he could pick it up, but given that we're releasing Rob Cook on the grounds of defence it wouldn't surprise me if this were the reason. Nevertheless, I do think we've missed the opportunity to sign a very good prospect.

Yeh it would of been one of those Low Risk High reward signing IMO.

Esp with LV cup being back, a season or two in the championship/Nat 1 and LV cup/A league rugby would of made perfect sense for them.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri May 06 2016, 16:51

We have signed two USA internationals - lets hope they are Better than Eric Fry and Todd Clever.

David Tameilau - Backrower of Islander heritage, 6'5 and 19st
Nick Civetta - Lock forward, 6'8.

The back rower looks another power house like the rest of the singings we have made so far...but Civetta looks the interesting one. He looks an amazing carrier...not gangly like most locks...he looks a natural.

But we shall see how they are tested in the prem.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri May 06 2016, 19:31

Looking at the Saints website, they appear to have signed Kieran Brookes twin brother, also called Kieran who has played at least one game for the 1st XV.

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/rugby/profiles/

We obviously have a surfeit of tight heads for next year, perhaps we don't need a Denman replacement after all.

Having relooked at the website, we seem to have an awful lot of twin brothers with the same name, probably a world record number. Starting to think they have c0cked up as there can only be one Teimana Harrison.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri May 06 2016, 19:46

HongKongCherry wrote:Great signing for Quins http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Harlequins-confirm-Jonas-Mikalcius-signing/story-29227626-detail/story.html

I've always been very impressed with him, he's very raw, but definitely has potential to be an excellent player.

Yay! A signing!

Though I would like us to sign a scrum half please!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri May 06 2016, 19:48

Just looked at the web site, too.  Talk about genetic improbabilities.  It just goes to show nothing is impossible on the internet.  It would be nice if we had twins of players who actually know how to score tries.  

That would be????????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 08 2016, 22:31

Borrowed from the Tigers off page. Some confirmed club leavers.

announced as leaving @ Saracens Player awards night by Nigel Wray 
Keiran Longbottom (Sale)
Jacques Burger (Retirement)
Charlie Hodgson (retirement)
Rhys Gill (Cardiff)
Hayden Smith (N/A)
Ben Ransom (N/A)
Biyi Alo (N/A)
Nils Mordt (N/A)
Hayden Kerr (N/A0
Kieran Low (N/A)
Aaron Morris (Harqleuins)
Max Wilkins (N/A)

Announced by Waps @ Players awards night
George Smith (Suntory)
Siale Piutau
Charles Piutau (Ulster)
Carlo Festuccia (Harlequins)
Ruaridh Jackson
Ben Jacobs
Ed Shervington (retirement)
James Downey
Jamie Stevenson
Alex Lozowski

Announced by Harlequins ON WEDNESDAY 4TH MAY
Ben Botica (Montpelier)
Tito Tebaldi (Treviso)
Beau Robinson
Sam Egerton
Kieran Treadwell (Ulster)
Luke White

I suspect a few clubs are looking at the less famous Piatau brother and Ben Ransom the former England age grade full back live wire. Ben Jacobs and Haydon Smith are good squad player options for somebody as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun May 08 2016, 22:40

I thought Siale Piutau was doing really well with Wasps? Has he received offers from elsewhere else or was he cut in favour of someone else?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun May 08 2016, 22:43

Wasps are going to struggle losing Jackson, Smith and both Piutaus

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun May 08 2016, 22:44

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I thought Siale Piutau was doing really well with Wasps? Has he received offers from elsewhere else or was he cut in favour of someone else?

None of the above

He was signed as injury cover and was already in contract with a Japanese club before wasps.

Talk is he will return once said contract is over next season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun May 08 2016, 23:01

Welly wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:I thought Siale Piutau was doing really well with Wasps? Has he received offers from elsewhere else or was he cut in favour of someone else?

None of the above

He was signed as injury cover and was already in contract with a Japanese club before wasps.

Talk is he will return once said contract is over next season.
Ah I was going to say he'd be a good signing for us.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sun May 08 2016, 23:28

Kahn Fotauli confirmed to Bath too

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 09 2016, 07:20

I wondered if Wasps were struggling for cap space with a Smith and Piatau replacements raking up big chunks of cap (rumoured to be Brussow and Beale) with the high profile return of Cipriani not cheap and not available as the marquee signing. Wasps will look to sign him long term when he returns from Japan, he suits their style of play very well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon May 09 2016, 08:45

Wasps have made contact with Steffon Armitage as a replacement for Smith.

How's he been this season? Without the RWC there doesn't seem to have been the OTT write ups about him from the media.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon May 09 2016, 09:21

So I take it the Brussow to Wasps rumours weren't true.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon May 09 2016, 09:29

They were in advanced talks with Brussow, not sure what happened.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon May 09 2016, 10:16

Didn't know it was advanced just heard they were in talks with

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon May 09 2016, 10:17

Beeb says Aulika to Sale

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Mon May 09 2016, 10:59

Aulika to Sale is confirmed.

Good one for Irish to get off the books. highest paid player which is mad.

decent player but a bit of a penalty machine. probably do better at Sale in a better pack.

averaged a try every 4 games in his time at irish which is pretty dam good for a prop.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 09 2016, 11:13

Diamond is good at getting the most from players so in a player like Aulika he could probably drag out a lot. Sale are adding quite a bit to their pack this off season. Kruger, Longbottom and Webber already joining what is a tough unit to break down (lost one home game all season). Guess they'll need he extra forward power with no superstar replacement for Cips.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon May 09 2016, 11:43

Webber will hopefully bring down there lineout stats though.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 09 2016, 12:10

I doubt it, once Diamond is finished with him I doubt Bath fans will recognise him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon May 09 2016, 12:22

Bathite wrote:Kahn Fotauli confirmed to Bath too

I pity Ford!!!!!!!!
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon May 09 2016, 12:42

Woah. Two livewire scrum halves. Perhaps they would have been better buying a traditional 9 with a fast pass who is a great technician (like Henry Pyrgos at Glasgow) and would give Ford more of a structure and more time to make his own decisions. Not sure if having Kahn as an option is going to help the current sort of issues which they are having with Matawalu.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 09 2016, 17:38

Matawalu could be used on the wing next season of the don't unload him in the summer. Cook seems to have been the preferred option for most of this season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon May 09 2016, 17:46

Matawalu to replace Agulla in the back 3 would be interesting.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon May 09 2016, 18:12

Ford has already said that Mata will be a back three option next year. Will Ford be there though??

Really not happy with Kahn coming in. Just shows how much of a shocker letting Stringer go was. Cook is a great little player, but needs more development and experience to be a true #1 at this stage.

We've also just signed Harry Davies, a 6 foot 5 winger from Cardiff. Let's hope he isn't anything like Jack Cuthbert.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon May 09 2016, 18:43

Bathite wrote:Ford has already said that Mata will be a back three option next year. Will Ford be there though??

According to the Telegraph ( Bath coach Mike Ford calls for backroom staff freshen up after disappointing season) Ford and the coaches present their vision of the future to the orange one this week.

Mike Ford wrote:The headline is to understand our game better.“We have a good understanding of what we need to do already. Clearly we have got to look at the coaching structure and to freshen things up. We will get that appointment right.

But yes, I wonder if ford will be around to reshuffle his backroom staff, or if he will be reshuffled out the door.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon May 09 2016, 18:50

There's talk of Michael Foley coming back into the backroom setup.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon May 09 2016, 23:18

Bathite wrote:Ford has already said that Mata will be a back three option next year. Will Ford be there though??

Really not happy with Kahn coming in. Just shows how much of a shocker letting Stringer go was. Cook is a great little player, but needs more development and experience to be a true #1 at this stage.

We've also just signed Harry Davies, a 6 foot 5 winger from Cardiff. Let's hope he isn't anything like Jack Cuthbert.

Alternatively you could have continued to hone the development of Jonny Evans, but he wasn't really given a chance and has been let go. Unfortunately for him he's also going to be third choice at the Scarlets so the blame lies with him for making some bad career choices. If he had stayed put with Dragons he would have continued to get a lot of game time and likely continued to become a better player - maybe even third choice for Wales behind Webb and Davies at some point this season or next.

I've never heard of Harry Davies, he must be a Cardiff RFC player. He's not likely to make an immediate impact.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue May 10 2016, 10:15

U20 lock Will Witty signs a new deal at Falcons. Great news as rumoured to be off to Gloucester. Hopefully see much more of next season.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue May 10 2016, 10:20

Crane to Bristol confirmed.

If they do come up Bristol will have a pretty good squad, could be a bit old though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 10 2016, 10:44

Sgt_Pooly wrote:U20 lock Will Witty signs a new deal at Falcons. Great news as rumoured to be off to Gloucester. Hopefully see much more of next season.

Just saw that...great news. I guess the Gloucester stuff was rubbish.

Means our suspicions on Furno and Thompson gong is accurate....and we wont miss them anyway!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue May 10 2016, 10:54

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

I pity Ford!!!!!!!!

He never should have left the Ospreys and chased the money. He was outstanding for us in the last season before wasting his career at Northampton. Never mind, his departure opened up the door for Rhys Webb

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue May 10 2016, 11:08

yappysnap wrote:Crane to Bristol confirmed.

If they do come up Bristol will have a pretty good squad, could be a bit old though.

That's a good signing for Bristol. There are few in the Prem (perhaps only Easter?) who control the ball at the base of the scrum as well as Crane. For a side coming up who may well take some pummeling in the scrum that could be very useful on it's own. Plus of course he has a very good work rate and is solid as anything.

He suffered from losing form in the winter months this season which prevented him getting the game time he usually would expect so I expect he's moved on largely to play more. He also took a pay-cut for his last contract so a pay rise will likely have helped as well.

All in all he's a fantastic servant to the Tigers who has been a vital part of some excellent sides and excellent performances. With the game against Bath likely to have been his last I'm delighted he went out with his best performance in a while.

He can kick goals as well you know... Wink

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 10 2016, 12:05

Crane would have been an international for years if it weren't for those two knee injuries that restricted what pace he had. Good player who has a massive engine and as said above is awesome at the back of the scrum. His offloading game is hugely underrated as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next