The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not much interest in Joshua - Martin

+36
kingraf
AdamT
Qoxiivi
Mad for Chelsea
ONETWOFOREVER
wheelchair1991
B.A. BARACUS
Pound-for-Pound
Duty281
djkbrown2001
ShahenshahG
Jermaine2015
Rowley
Knowsit17
mckay1402
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
Derbymanc
WelshDevilRob
keith legend
catchweight
AlexHuckerby
Rodney
aja424
Dipper Brown
horizontalhero
Coxy001
taguey
Guest82
Mr Bounce
smashingstormcrow
hazharrison
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
40 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Not much interest in Joshua - Martin - Page 3 Empty Not much interest in Joshua - Martin

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 06 Apr 2016, 10:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surprised there's no chat about this weekend's title fight.

Interesting for a number of reasons. I don't view Martin as a valid champion. Winning the belt in a bizarre fight that only happened because they stripped Fury. Didn't think he looked great against Glazkov for as long as that lasted and there's nothing in his record that stands out.

Still it should present AJ's biggest test yet. He's big enough and on paper has more experience than AJ. However I reckon AJ takes this without too many problems. I think he'll have learned a lot from the Whyte fight. AJ within 6 rounds for me. Martin to retreat into his she'll the first time he feels AJ'S power then it's only a matter of time.

Back to top Go down

Not much interest in Joshua - Martin - Page 3 Empty Re: Not much interest in Joshua - Martin

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Pound-for-Pound wrote:What's the drug testing situation for this fight?

Sore loser are we ??...

Martin was turd it pains me to say....Heavy Boxing needs Joshua types.  Aesthetic, decent technique..Power.

He'd have done okay in other eras....He'll clean up in this one..

I'm British, I wanted Joshua to win. I would just like to see it on paper that he is definitely clean. I want to know that I'm supporting a clean fighter and with all of the accusations going around it would be good to know.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Not much interest in Joshua - Martin - Page 3 Empty Re: Not much interest in Joshua - Martin

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:32 pm

What a complete sack of sh!te Martin is.....Joshua is a good fighter but not convinced that he is anything special.

Whilst he has decent hand speed, he looks flat footed and not particularly elusive.

Fancy david haye to give him a very stern test but fast eddie will not make that fight anytime soon.

Fury and Joshua would be a good matchup and i'd fancy Joshua to win a close decision if that was to happen

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm

Pound-for-Pound wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Pound-for-Pound wrote:What's the drug testing situation for this fight?

Sore loser are we ??...

Martin was turd it pains me to say....Heavy Boxing needs Joshua types.  Aesthetic, decent technique..Power.

He'd have done okay in other eras....He'll clean up in this one..

I'm British, I wanted Joshua to win. I would just like to see it on paper that he is definitely clean. I want to know that I'm supporting a clean fighter and with all of the accusations going around it would be good to know.

He gets randomly tested by the BBBofC.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:36 pm

Life is about timing...Joshua is good enough and that is all that matters...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm

Fancy david haye to give him a very stern test

Sorry, but Haye hasn't beaten anyone at HW that's even remotely as good as Joshua. I'm not jumping on the Joshua hype train, but Haye has done nothing at HW in my opinion to suggest he'd give Joshua a stern test. Barret, Valuev, Harrison, Ruiz, Chisora and a couple of nightclub bouncers since his comeback. Not exactly a stellar resume. The icing on the cake is the feeble capitualtion against Wlad.

I wish Haye would Frak off once and for all

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:40 pm

Haye as a heavyweight has been a joke and continues to be with his next 2 fights

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:40 pm

Risky interviewing Haye and Harrison together. I hope their "grudge" does not kick off again.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:41 pm

We can't go on much by that test ahem but 1 thing is for sure AJ can floor any heavy out there.

there are no Oliver Mccalls around today and I can't see the likes of Haye Fury or Wilder standing up to Joshua.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:42 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:

Fancy david haye to give him a very stern test

Sorry, but Haye hasn't beaten anyone at HW that's even remotely as good as Joshua. I'm not jumping on the Joshua hype train, but Haye has done nothing at HW in my opinion to suggest he'd give Joshua a stern test.  Barret, Valuev, Harrison, Ruiz, Chisora and a couple of nightclub bouncers since his comeback. Not exactly a stellar resume. The icing on the cake is the feeble capitualtion against Wlad.

I wish Haye would Frak off once and for all

While Haye is making money for old rope...He's hardly likely to want Joshua...

My guess is it will be Wilder or Potty once patience has worn thin..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:44 pm

so where does Joshua go from now? For all that the hyperbole will kick in and Martin will become a useless lump, Martin isn't a bad heavyweight. In fact in today's HW scene he's a rather decent one. And Joshua smashed him inside two rounds. Can't see Hearn wanting the BIG one with Fury yet, maybe a few easier defenses first?

Don't think tonight taught us much about Joshua TBH. We already know he's fast and can bang, fought a cagey first round before finding two lovely shots in round two, and that was enough. Suspect there aren't many in the division who can live with his power, so it's a question of either getting to him first or keeping him off you long enough that he tires...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:49 pm

Haye's heavyweight record might not be the best but wins over Maccarinelli (cruiser), Valuev, Ruiz and Chisora are still better than anything Joshua has faced.

Granted Joshua is still a relative novice but the chinks in his armour were apparent in the White fight.

He is not difficult to hit and looks slow.

Haye has his crtitics but he has good hand speed, movement and can pack a punch.

Joshua seems like a decent guy and i wish him well but i think he will be found out when he takes on a fighter that is not one dimensional like that turd he beat tonight

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:50 pm

Feel sorry for Tyson Fury !!..He's just become the real champion but the new Goldenboy of the heavy division has arrived and my guess is the US media will love him...

Could be the next "Real Tyson"..

Fury will end up playing second fiddle..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:50 pm

Charles was nothing special before tonight Chelsea and his stance and technique told me he was not well schooled.

Standing straight up with a lazy defence and absolutely NO head movement, it was a matter of when Joshua finds the big shot.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm

If Haye didn't have the bottle against Wlad its clutching at straws he'll turn up against this guy...

WhoTF has Haye beaten at heavyweight ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Feel sorry for Tyson Fury !!..He's just become the real champion but the new Goldenboy of the heavy division has arrived and my guess is the US media will love him...

Switch off your PC, seriously think about what you have written, wash your hands and go to bed.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:57 pm

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:57 pm

I think tyson fury will be seething after being put in the shade by AJ

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 09 Apr 2016, 11:58 pm

and your point is????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:03 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Feel sorry for Tyson Fury !!..He's just become the real champion but the new Goldenboy of the heavy division has arrived and my guess is the US media will love him...

Switch off your PC, seriously think about what you have written, wash your hands and go to bed.

He could dominate like Mike Tyson.....Sure I'd pick Tyson to beat him..But that is not the point.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Haye didn't have the bottle against Wlad its clutching at straws he'll turn up against this guy...

Who has anybody beaten at Heavyweight in the last few years....the division is p!ss poor.

Aside from Fury's victory over Wlad, there have been no noteworthy fights for years.

The accusation that Haye has not beaten any decent Heanyweights can be thrown at any fighter in the division because outside of Wlad, the division is void of talented fighters.

Joshua would have barely made a ripple in the 90's against the likes of Bowe, Holy, Tyson, Lewis

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:09 am

What on earth is all this 'he looked slow' rubbish? Joshua is hugely quick for a HW of his size and build. One thing he can improve on (but hasn't needed to, yet) is his head movement. But, come on, slow? Demonstrably nonsense.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:09 am

I think saying he would not have made an impact in the 90's is wrong

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:11 am

B.A. BARACUS wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Haye didn't have the bottle against Wlad its clutching at straws he'll turn up against this guy...

Who has anybody beaten at Heavyweight in the last few years....the division is p!ss poor.

Aside from Fury's victory over Wlad, there have been no noteworthy fights for years.

The accusation that Haye has not beaten any decent Heanyweights can be thrown at any fighter in the division because outside of Wlad, the division is void of talented fighters.

Joshua would have barely made a ripple in the 90's against the likes of Bowe, Holy, Tyson, Lewis

If he's scared of Wlad..........This huge power punching monster is hardly likely to make him sleep any better...FFS.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:12 am

Dare I say it, Audley Harrison seemed to talk more sense than anyone.

Joshua might not have beaten Bowe, Lewis, Holyfield or Tyson but all four of them would feature very very highly on a head to head basis and we shouldn't ignore the fights they had against Golota, McCall, Moorer and Douglas.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:16 am

interesting old a-farce was there... maybe audley's dusting off one of his old drawing boards... thinking of throwing down the gauntlet to AJ. It's his destiny.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:17 am

He could have made an impact, in the same way Bruno made an impact.

Bruno is the closest fighter i can think of who is comparable to Joshua - although Joshua seems to be far better equipped to deal with the mental side of the sport.

Although Bruno was a very good fighter he doesnt belong at the top of a list of great 90's heavy's and only won a version of the title because he was fighting Mccall, who clearly had issues.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:17 am

Certainly give him a chance against Holy, Bowe and pre-1994 Lewis.....But only early... He couldn't cope with their work rate if they got past the first four or so..

Think lightning fast 1987 Mike would do a similar job as he did to Bruno..

Bit too stiff for Mike.

He'll batter Fury in 3 though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:22 am

B.A. BARACUS wrote:He could have made an impact, in the same way Bruno made an impact.

Bruno is the closest fighter i can think of who is comparable to Joshua - although Joshua seems to be far better equipped to deal with the mental side of the sport.

Although Bruno was a very good fighter he doesnt belong at the top of a list of great 90's heavy's and only won a version of the title because he was fighting Mccall, who clearly had issues.  

The title that McCall won against Lennox Lewis?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:25 am

I don't believe Haye was scared of Wlad, i think he underestimated how good Wlad was and struggled with his defense orientated style.

Joshua is not as skilled defensively as Wlad and doesn't possess his height, reach or movement.

Wlad fights behind his piston jab and uses his height and reach to stay out of range...Joshua is not as elusive and i don't think a 'prime' Haye would struggle to connect on him

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:26 am

In fairness i remember Mccall against Douglas......Lost to the awful Hunter as well..

He was a poor champion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:30 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
B.A. BARACUS wrote:He could have made an impact, in the same way Bruno made an impact.

The title that McCall won against Lennox Lewis?

Yes...the same Lewis that got chinned by Rahman and then subsequently took him to school in the rematch.

Lewis was prone to switching off and getting caught...Mccall was a limited fighter

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:34 am

So was Braddock but he had a top trainer too...

McCall took his chance credit to him...Overachiever....Wonderful chin.

Pepe Correa wasn't good for Lewis..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:38 am

Haye could barely beat Valuev, and Joshua is miles better already than Valuev ever was.

Why even compare Joshua to the best of the 90s yet? Hes only been a pro a few years and the calibre of his opposition has been poor.

Haye is a bit of a clown who has come back to make a few bob fighting club fighters and circus acts like Briggs. When he gets his ppv fight with Joshua in a years time he will revert to type just running away resorting to pot shotting and spending his time between rounds getting his excuse story rehearsed.

Joshua is an exciting guy to have in the division. The problem is he has already been marketed, packaged and sold to provide a ppv platform irrespective of calibre of opposition. What kind of fights can we look forward to? Probably a torturous 15 month build up to a Haye fight next Summer which will involve a series of pointless match ups and unavoidable IBF mandatories in the meantime I fear.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:41 am

Great chin....pity about his state of mind.

He barely beat a well past it Larry Holmes - still he wasn't anywhere near as poor a champion as charles martin

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:47 am

Haye's tactics against Valuev were spot on....only a fool would attempt to stand and trade with a 7ft behemoth.

Haye was assured of victory as long as he stayed out of range and thats what he did.

Do i think Haye wins decisively against Joshua...probably not - but he has or HAD the attributes to pose him plenty of problems

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:56 am

His performance against the average Valuev was pretty pants. Most of the rounds were so close that decision could have gone either way, or been scored a draw at the end. Valuev was never a big puncher so standing and trading with him is not the suicide mission its made out to be. You would be far worse off standing and trading with a heavyweight that actually posseses a big punch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:16 am

The only reason the rounds may have been close were because Haye was risk averse and didnt engage....why would he when he didnt have to.

Valuev only had a punchers chance, therefore standing in front of him was inviting trouble.

Haye was on his bike for most of the fight, he's not going to score points for that but he did what he had to do and pot shotted his way to victory.

If the fight has been a draw or been awarded to Valuev, it would only have been as a result of Haye not throwing enough and certainly not because Valuev was the better fighter

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:32 am

No, Valuev didnt only have a punchers chance. Haye actually afforded him a fairly reasonably opportunity to win a points decision. The fight was close with most rounds capable of being scored narrowly to either fighter or scored even.

Hayes tactics were fine, his execution of them was mediocre. Relying on winning a fight by edging close rounds boxing negatively when you are boxing against a champion away from home, not exactly foolproof stuff.

The risk associated with standing in font of Valuev is exagerrated. He was a slow heavyweight that lacked a big punch. A fighter could afford to take chances against him in order to land punches against him without fear for being taken out with one punch. A geriatric Evander Holyfield scarcely did any worse against Valuev than Haye did.

Valuev was a pretty poor fighter, and Hayes performance aginst him was a pretty poor reflection of his credentials. This was reinforced against Klitschko.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:42 am

Dreadful fight.  The first meaningful medium punch and Charles Martin went down.  I think Dillian Whyte would have knocked out Charles Martin.  AJ did what he had to do.  He looked more in control than in the Dillian Whyte fight, but then Martin didn't offer much of an opposition.  A cagey first round then Martin gets knocked to the canvass with two medium punches. Apparently Martin got a 5 million dollar windfall for this fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2016, 8:56 am

Eddie announces Wembley is available June 9th and Fury fights at the MEN. Either Fat Mick is a f*cking dunce or people really don't care all that much for Fury.

Anyway my early prediction is Wilder in June for AJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by djkbrown2001 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 9:00 am

If martin gets 5 million dollars that's a good pay day. If he his wise he will use that to set himself up.

djkbrown2001

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:22 pm

5 million is an absolute gift for Martin. He really won the boxing lotto with that.

Not a hope Joshua will fight Wilder in July (Wilder is not even certain to get past Povetkin in Russia).

I would not be surprised to see a Whyte rematch this year.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 10 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm

I have Povetkin as a pretty big favourite in that fight, his form since the Wlad fight has been devastating.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:18 pm

I still think Fury beats Aj.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

Depends on how big AJ punches I suppose. If you can punch big at HW you generally win. AJ seems to punch like an angry mule kicks. I'd think he'd nick a world title in any era... But in this one he'll build a legacy
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:38 pm

If Wlad takes the title back... do we see wilder/Joshua in with Wlad?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:43 pm

AJ is a specimen, but some of you guys are getting carried away. If a good fighter gets by 3 rounds with little damage, Aj will gas and get stopped.

I think Haye could also beat him now. Joshua will suffer when he eventually hits later rounds. I confess, it won't be easy to get there. He can f....g punch.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:46 pm

Got to hand it to Joshua, he's got a long way to go in terms of opposition quality but he's achieved so much in under 4 years. I know the division as a whole is fairly weak but AJ hasn't exactly stuck to the journeymen and has now stepped up a lot higher than where he was just last year.

In his 16th fight Fury was still beating up on the likes of Nicolai Firtha.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

I very much doubt Fury will be in a position to make Joshua gas, he doesn't have the chin to survive an early onslaught, unlike Wlad he will throw punches.

Haye is a different proposition and would have to win early, it goes long and he won't have a chance, he lacks the work rate to make anybody gas.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 10 Apr 2016, 1:52 pm

I disagree. I think Fury will make it hard for Aj. He won't stand there and be hit. Fury is nothing special, but I pick him to beat Aj.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next