The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

+18
TRUSSMAN66
compelling and rich
catchweight
djlovesyou
Qoxiivi
hazharrison
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Lance
EX7EY
armchairwarrior
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
smashingstormcrow
kingraf
Steffan
Scottrf
AdamT
TopHat24/7
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last time Fury fought a 6'6" lean muscled hard-hitting world champion, mine, and most peoples', analyis was set out something like this:

Wlad advantages:

Power
Fitness
Strength
Handspeed
Footspeed (for someone so big)

Fury advantages:

Height/Reach
Recovery powers

Now we're talking about him fighting another, albeit much greener, one and once again everyone is producing pretty much the same analysis. If/when they do fight, is Fury not going to mug us all off again?

There are still Q's over AJ's stamina (which don't seem to be there for the pudgier Fury), Fury showed versus Wlad that his ungainly style is actually quite effective in terms of movement as opposed to AJ's still slightly stiff stance, the heigh/reach advantage could still really tell and, finally, Fury doesn't look like he gets rattled and will be all confidence & bravado to unsettle the young challenger.

On the flip side, AJ's seems to have the killer instinct in spades which Wlad clearly didnt, will likely maintain higher output than Wlad did and seems happy to take a shot (when you consider Fury doesn't hit that hard).

So, what does everyone think, are we under-estimating Fury (again)?

Fool me once.......

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 40
Location : London

Back to top Go down


AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:28 pm

You lay into Ggg at every opportunity.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 pm

GGG fights nobody. Aj is a killer. I get it.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Do you read what you type?

Truss quite clearly said that despite not fighting anybody from the top drawer you can that Golovkin has talent, he wasn't laying into him at all, christ I need to find ways to express myself without resorting to insults.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Are you impotent by any chance?? You seem very cross. You should try viagra. A good ride would cheer you up some. Just some friendly advice.

Must be awful resorting in kind to insults rather than reporting them.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by catchweight Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:34 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
catchweight wrote:Who rates Fury as "manna from heaven"? Hes the heavyweight champion of the world and won it the legitimate way by toppling a long reigning champion (one incidentally who plenty of people on here rated as beatable only by the finest heavyweights in history). That alone should be all the evidence needed to give him a fair shout of beating a 16 fight Joshua.

Fury has boxed poorly in the past, it should be easy to spot the difference between the level of performances in those fight and the ones where he boxed well. Some people cant or choose not to because they just dont like the guy. As if the clownish performance aginst Cunningham or his half assed out of shape effort against McDermott is the only version if Fury there is. If he turned up in the kind of shape with the kind of performance he put in against McDermott the first time, he would clearly get beat by not just Joshua, but most heavyweights with a pulse. He would never have won any titles if he didnt have the ability to improve on those performances. If boxes like did against Klitschko, Im inclined to think its Joshua is the one with something to prove.

Fury is not nearly a certainty to get past Klitschko again anyway. But would Joshua have it in him to beat Klitschko as it stands now? One thing is for sure, we wont be finding out.


theres also reading too much into one win against a guy who was beyond awful on the night. would aj beat that version of wlad? yes course he would as wlad didn't throw a meaningful punch. over furys career weve seen probably more bad than good performances, wlad being bad or not you do have to give fury credit. so thats one good performance. any others of note?

Nah Im not buying that. Klitschko was the same as always, hes just incapable of adapting and found himself outboxed and outmanouvered. Anytime Fury beats an opponent, especially one that most people tipped him to get beat agianst, that oppoent becomes "awful" for that fight. Fury outboxed Klitschko, not by a million miles, but enough to earn the victory.

Reading too much into his win might be to say he could beat some of the top heavyweights on the back of it. I certainly dont think tipping him to be a favourite or a major test for a 16 fight pro like Joshua whos best opponents probably wouldnt have won a round against the "awful" Klitschko is reading too much into Furys win. Not in the slightest.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Adam is an emotive poster.......

Unfortunately for him it makes him fun to wind up....Nevertheless he's a good sport and I'm glad he's on here..

As I won't be on here for the next few days...Thanks for the debate and good night..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:37 pm

AdamT wrote:Are you impotent by any chance?? You seem very cross. You should try viagra. A good ride would cheer you up some. Just some friendly advice.

Must be awful resorting in kind to insults rather than reporting them.

Mr mature strikes back.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:37 pm

I will never throw the first insult. I will retaliate though. Apology to the rest of you though.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:39 pm

If I'm so immature why debate me for?? I can tell your a keyboard warrior. Wee pest.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:39 pm

He didn't write it, he would not be able to edit your posts in such a manner. I wrote it, it was an attempt to diffuse the thread before it escalated and ended as these things almost invariably do in the thread being locked and one or more people being kicked off, which contrary to what many may believe we would rather avoid.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by compelling and rich Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:41 pm

catchweight wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
catchweight wrote:Who rates Fury as "manna from heaven"? Hes the heavyweight champion of the world and won it the legitimate way by toppling a long reigning champion (one incidentally who plenty of people on here rated as beatable only by the finest heavyweights in history). That alone should be all the evidence needed to give him a fair shout of beating a 16 fight Joshua.

Fury has boxed poorly in the past, it should be easy to spot the difference between the level of performances in those fight and the ones where he boxed well. Some people cant or choose not to because they just dont like the guy. As if the clownish performance aginst Cunningham or his half assed out of shape effort against McDermott is the only version if Fury there is. If he turned up in the kind of shape with the kind of performance he put in against McDermott the first time, he would clearly get beat by not just Joshua, but most heavyweights with a pulse. He would never have won any titles if he didnt have the ability to improve on those performances. If boxes like did against Klitschko, Im inclined to think its Joshua is the one with something to prove.

Fury is not nearly a certainty to get past Klitschko again anyway. But would Joshua have it in him to beat Klitschko as it stands now? One thing is for sure, we wont be finding out.


theres also reading too much into one win against a guy who was beyond awful on the night. would aj beat that version of wlad? yes course he would as wlad didn't throw a meaningful punch. over furys career weve seen probably more bad than good performances, wlad being bad or not you do have to give fury credit. so thats one good performance. any others of note?

Nah Im not buying that. Klitschko was the same as always, hes just incapable of adapting and found himself outboxed and outmanouvered. Anytime Fury beats an opponent, especially one that most people tipped him to get beat agianst, that oppoent becomes "awful" for that fight. Fury outboxed Klitschko, not by a million miles, but enough to earn the victory.

Reading too much into his win might be to say he could beat some of the top heavyweights on the back of it. I certainly dont think tipping him to be a favourite or a major test for a 16 fight pro like Joshua whos best opponents probably wouldnt have won a round against the "awful" Klitschko is reading too much into Furys win. Not in the slightest.

the fight was terrible, not sure fury outboxed him, boxing for either of them that night is a bit of a overestimation. he merely threw more punches therefore won more rounds. never really been a big fan of wlad, said it for years but he is normally better than that......just. not got the stats but i bet punches throw was well down on other fights.

AJ is still green we all know that, but he's looked better up to 16 fights than fury did

compelling and rich

Posts : 6084
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 pm

I would not be too quick to dismiss Fury's win over Wlad. I appreciate a lot on here don't much care for him but irrespective of his limitations Wlad had developed a style that whilst aesthetically not particularly easy on the eye was effective. Effective enough that in 11 years nobody had managed to solve the particular riddles he posed.

If nothing else that suggests to me Fury's team are tactically reasonably astute and behind the clown exterior Fury has the ability to absorb a gameplan and the concentration to execute it without slip ups. Not going to argue that makes him the reincarnation of Joe but in a barren heavyweight era such as this it is probably enough to make him a reasonably tough night for anyone.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by catchweight Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Well if you are going to chalk off Fury winning the title down to Klitschko just showing up and deciding not to throw any punches and handing Fury the title so be it. Not the most objectives of takes on the fight, but there seldom is when Fury is involved.

The fight was poor, but Fury boxed a controlled fight and reduced Klitschko to not being able to do much of anything while doing enough himself to win the fight. Klitschko, irrespective of how one rates him, is still many leagues above anyone Joshua has been in with. Whole different level entirely. I think its pretty outrageous to deduce that Joshua would certainly have beaten him after 15 or 16 fights. All I have seen from Joshua so far is that he is a pretty devastating puncher. Thats all hes needed so far given the calibre of his opponents. I have seen Fury outbox the best in the division. Thats more than enough for me to think he poses Joshua problems for the time being.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:59 pm

It does make me laugh somewhat, and this is not directed at anyone on this thread, but when Haye beat Valuev by circling on the outside and throwing a punch once a millennium people creamed themselves on here and proclaimed it a tactical masterclass.

Fury does likewise against a far better opponent and it is a dull as dishwater performance only possible by the opponent not turning up. It does seem for many giving Fury any credit beyond the most grudging really sticks in their craw.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Works in reverse too though, nobody gives Haye any credit for that performance in reality but some hail Fury's performance as some kind of masterclass, they were both only slightly less crap than their opponent.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:08 pm

I would think the clear difference is who they turned the performance in against. Whatever one may think of Wlad would like to think even his staunchest critic would be willing to acknowledge he is a good few levels of ability above Valuev.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Except one opponent had been the man for a decade. The other was a terrible champ. Anyway Haye did what he needed. Fair play.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Rowley wrote:I would think the clear difference is who they turned the performance in against. Whatever one may think of Wlad would like to think even his staunchest critic would be willing to acknowledge he is a good few levels of ability above Valuev.

One of them was facing somebody 9 inches taller and 100lbs heavier while the other was the bigger man.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by EX7EY Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Rowley wrote:It does make me laugh somewhat, and this is not directed at anyone on this thread, but when Haye beat Valuev by circling on the outside and throwing a punch once a millennium people creamed themselves on here and proclaimed it a tactical masterclass.

Fury does likewise against a far better opponent and it is a dull as dishwater performance only possible by the opponent not turning up. It does seem for many giving Fury any credit beyond the most grudging really sticks in their craw.

Possibly one of the best arguments I've read concerning the Fury Klit fight.

Bravo clap

EX7EY

Posts : 531
Join date : 2013-07-22
Age : 37
Location : Salford

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:15 pm

Hammer I won't insult you, but you should be careful calling someone an idiot. Sometimes idiots can laugh when others make silly posts.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I do laugh at your posts all the time.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Likewise.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by catchweight Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 pm

A better contrast would be how Haye and Fury actually got on against Klitschko for the world title.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Rowley Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 pm

I personally gave Haye credit for beating Valuev, but aside from being a big old unit he is pretty dire, slower than molasses, the mobility of a tug boat and a remarkable lack of power for his size. In terms of quality of win and the level of credit the respective wins deserves Fury against Klitschko is country mile more credit worthy as far as I am concerned.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 51
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Fury OUTCLASSED wlad confused him and made him tentative stop trying to find holes in that win its pathetic

Now joshua is a different story he would be afraid to walk into the hurt zone so would he be able to get to fury

Think the style matchup is more difficult for fury would still favour him but Aj can probably knock out anyone

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 am

Outlanding someone by so little in a crap fight is not outclassing them.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:19 am

i dont mind fury, certainly glad he dethroned klit whos been stinking out the division for years. but do feel furys performance is exaggerated. certainly no outclassing going on. it was a very tight fight on the cards with very little action by either. fury being slightly more busy than wlad earning it on work rate.

no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round

haye was similar, stinker of a fight but did what he needed to do, same as fury. wont be re watching either of the "fights" anytime soon though. furys performance was better though, no one gave him a chance. where as haye was a fairly big favorite

compelling and rich

Posts : 6084
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by huw Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 am

Everyone on here is saying that AJ wouldn't have beaten Wlad (or wouldn't have fought him) and saying he would easily beat Fury.

So by this logic would Fury beat Martin - I'd say it is highly likely he would.

So Fury would beat everyone AJ has beat and we don't know if AJ would beat everyone Fury has.

Fury has tried to fight Haye but couldn't. He has the balls to take on the best and his team don't seem scared to put him into these fights either.

AJ looks incredible and is a skilled operator with real power, until he steps up to the level of Fury / Wlad we won't know if he is a luckier David Price.

I hope AJ is all he appears but his opposition, although fewer of them is not even up there with Wilder.

huw

Posts : 1211
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:32 am

huw wrote:Everyone on here is saying that AJ wouldn't have beaten Wlad (or wouldn't have fought him) and saying he would easily beat Fury.

So by this logic would Fury beat Martin - I'd say it is highly likely he would.

So Fury would beat everyone AJ has beat and we don't know if AJ would beat everyone Fury has.

Fury has tried to fight Haye but couldn't. He has the balls to take on the best and his team don't seem scared to put him into these fights either.

AJ looks incredible and is a skilled operator with real power, until he steps up to the level of Fury / Wlad we won't know if he is a luckier David Price.

I hope AJ is all he appears but his opposition, although fewer of them is not even up there with Wilder.

Great post. I just think some have made their minds up on Fury. No matter what he does, he won't receive credit.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:59 am

Fury's win against Wlad was an incredible achievement, but Joshua flattens him.

At least the Heavyweight division is becoming a bit interesting.

Scottrf

Posts : 14359
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:01 am

compelling and rich wrote:no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round
That is a bit naive. He didn't just choose to throw fewer punches than normal.

Scottrf

Posts : 14359
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am

Lennox Lewis claims Joshua is not ready yet. There is only one clear winner at the minute, between Britain's two Heavyweight champions.

This is coming from a man, who Fury has mouthed off about, on numerous occasions.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

Scottrf wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round
That is a bit naive. He didn't just choose to throw fewer punches than normal.

bit simplistic maybe but dont think naive. this fight was loss in wlads head not anything fury did especially for me

compelling and rich

Posts : 6084
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by EX7EY Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:13 am

Scottrf wrote:Fury's win against Wlad was an incredible achievement, but Joshua flattens him.

At least the Heavyweight division is becoming a bit interesting.

picard

EX7EY

Posts : 531
Join date : 2013-07-22
Age : 37
Location : Salford

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:33 am

catchweight wrote:It would be mad to write Fury off against Joshua but a lot of people made up their mind about Fury long ago and arent going to change it irrespective of any contrary evidence.

Joshua is a big talent but so far his oppossition has been low enough calibre that he has got by from just being a wicked puncher. Fast, hard and accurate punches.

Fury is awkward awkward and rangy. He doesnt scare, his jab can be nuisance and he can mix it up pretty well. He has the proven ability to box 12 rounds at the highest level.

If he boxes like he did against Klitschko I think he would be a difficult puzzle for Joshua to solve as he isnt used to anything other than just blasting out uncomplicated opponents (only Whyte has actually turned up to punch back so far it seems).

If Fury boxes like he did againt Cunningham though he wont last long, powers or recovery or not.

Very good assessment, and what I was seeing to raise the deja vu query.

Though, in respect of your AJ oppo quality point, I got thinking:

Wlad aside, who/how many Fury oppos are really that far ahead of those AJ has fought??

Maybe Chisora (though I think most would kick up a fuss if AJ announced that fight) and maybe Hammer?? Though Martin probably ranks ahead of both of them.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 40
Location : London

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 am

compelling and rich wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round
That is a bit naive. He didn't just choose to throw fewer punches than normal.

bit simplistic maybe but dont think naive. this fight was loss in wlads head not anything fury did especially for me
OK. And everyone that turns up against Mayweather just decides to throw fewer punches. Incredible coincidence.

Scottrf

Posts : 14359
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:41 am

compelling and rich wrote:
catchweight wrote:Who rates Fury as "manna from heaven"? Hes the heavyweight champion of the world and won it the legitimate way by toppling a long reigning champion (one incidentally who plenty of people on here rated as beatable only by the finest heavyweights in history). That alone should be all the evidence needed to give him a fair shout of beating a 16 fight Joshua.

Fury has boxed poorly in the past, it should be easy to spot the difference between the level of performances in those fight and the ones where he boxed well. Some people cant or choose not to because they just dont like the guy. As if the clownish performance aginst Cunningham or his half assed out of shape effort against McDermott is the only version if Fury there is. If he turned up in the kind of shape with the kind of performance he put in against McDermott the first time, he would clearly get beat by not just Joshua, but most heavyweights with a pulse. He would never have won any titles if he didnt have the ability to improve on those performances. If boxes like did against Klitschko, Im inclined to think its Joshua is the one with something to prove.

Fury is not nearly a certainty to get past Klitschko again anyway. But would Joshua have it in him to beat Klitschko as it stands now? One thing is for sure, we wont be finding out.


theres also reading too much into one win against a guy who was beyond awful on the night. would aj beat that version of wlad? yes course he would as wlad didn't throw a meaningful punch. over furys career weve seen probably more bad than good performances, wlad being bad or not you do have to give fury credit. so thats one good performance. any others of note?

Not sure I agree. For two reasons:

1) Fury won that fight outside the ring more than in it. Nobody has ever beaten the Ks in the psychological warfare and BS tricks they like to pull. Peter Fury arguably deserves the title as much as Tyson!

2) Tyson bamboozled Wlad with his size and style - something I don't see AJ ever doing. Unless AJ could scare Wlad, I don't see Wlad not deciding to do just what he usually does.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 40
Location : London

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:51 am

compelling and rich wrote:i dont mind fury, certainly glad he dethroned klit whos been stinking out the division for years. but do feel furys performance is exaggerated. certainly no outclassing going on. it was a very tight fight on the cards with very little action by either. fury being slightly more busy than wlad earning it on work rate.

no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round

haye was similar, stinker of a fight but did what he needed to do, same as fury. wont be re watching either of the "fights" anytime soon though. furys performance was better though, no one gave him a chance. where as haye was a fairly big favorite

Only people who thought that was a tight fight are the judges and people who don't like him

Wlad didn't land anything, Fury was standing right in front of him and made him scared to throw a punch

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 am

Scottrf wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round
That is a bit naive. He didn't just choose to throw fewer punches than normal.

bit simplistic maybe but dont think naive. this fight was loss in wlads head not anything fury did especially for me
OK. And everyone that turns up against Mayweather just decides to throw fewer punches. Incredible coincidence.

have you really just compared fury to mayweather Laugh Laugh

compelling and rich

Posts : 6084
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by compelling and rich Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:54 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:i dont mind fury, certainly glad he dethroned klit whos been stinking out the division for years. but do feel furys performance is exaggerated. certainly no outclassing going on. it was a very tight fight on the cards with very little action by either. fury being slightly more busy than wlad earning it on work rate.

no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round

haye was similar, stinker of a fight but did what he needed to do, same as fury. wont be re watching either of the "fights" anytime soon though. furys performance was better though, no one gave him a chance. where as haye was a fairly big favorite

Only people who thought that was a tight fight are the judges and people who don't like him

Wlad didn't land anything, Fury was standing right in front of him and made him scared to throw a punch

he certainly upset wlad thats for sure and was the main reason he won (something which i agree with), but dont see what fury landed much himself to be so far away on the cards. the only real bit of action in the fight was in the 12th

compelling and rich

Posts : 6084
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am

compelling and rich wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:no where did i say AJ would beat klit at his best, what i said was he'd beat that version of wlad that night as he would have very little to worry about if wlad to choose to throw a couple of punches a round
That is a bit naive. He didn't just choose to throw fewer punches than normal.

bit simplistic maybe but dont think naive. this fight was loss in wlads head not anything fury did especially for me
OK. And everyone that turns up against Mayweather just decides to throw fewer punches. Incredible coincidence.

have you really just compared fury to mayweather Laugh Laugh

He was meaning, that Fury's tactics stopped Wlad wanting to throw punches. It made him apprehensive to throw leather. Obviously everyone that fights Floyd does the same. It's actually a fair comparison.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am

compelling and rich wrote:have you really just compared fury to mayweather Laugh Laugh
No. Why do people struggle so badly with analogies?

Scottrf

Posts : 14359
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by hazharrison Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:09 am

catchweight wrote:It would be mad to write Fury off against Joshua but a lot of people made up their mind about Fury long ago and arent going to change it irrespective of any contrary evidence.

Joshua is a big talent but so far his oppossition has been low enough calibre that he has got by from just being a wicked puncher. Fast, hard and accurate punches.

Fury is awkward awkward and rangy. He doesnt scare, his jab can be nuisance and he can mix it up pretty well. He has the proven ability to box 12 rounds at the highest level.

If he boxes like he did against Klitschko I think he would be a difficult puzzle for Joshua to solve as he isnt used to anything other than just blasting out uncomplicated opponents (only Whyte has actually turned up to punch back so far it seems).

If Fury boxes like he did againt Cunningham though he wont last long, powers or recovery or not.

Spot on.

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:05 pm

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:It would be mad to write Fury off against Joshua but a lot of people made up their mind about Fury long ago and arent going to change it irrespective of any contrary evidence.

Joshua is a big talent but so far his oppossition has been low enough calibre that he has got by from just being a wicked puncher. Fast, hard and accurate punches.

Fury is awkward awkward and rangy. He doesnt scare, his jab can be nuisance and he can mix it up pretty well. He has the proven ability to box 12 rounds at the highest level.

If he boxes like he did against Klitschko I think he would be a difficult puzzle for Joshua to solve as he isnt used to anything other than just blasting out uncomplicated opponents (only Whyte has actually turned up to punch back so far it seems).

If Fury boxes like he did againt Cunningham though he wont last long, powers or recovery or not.

Spot on.

Fury admitted that was a horrible performance, he didn't even have his trainer in his corner.

If you think that Fury shows up against AJ you will be very disappointed

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:09 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IUqwop8t_Sg/Vqp6BZGTAuI/AAAAAAAABbY/6UMT__fs5-c/s1600/BGB%2BKlitschko%2BHeadbutts%2BFury%2BGIF.gif

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Good example of why to dislike Wlad and like Fury there. Old champ tried some of the dirty tricks he's been allowed to get away with for a decade by soft refs whilst the new champ dealt with it and carried out. Respect.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 40
Location : London

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by hazharrison Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:12 pm

I couldn't believe Wlad didn't pick up a points deduction for that headbutt. The ref also gave him a respite in one of the penultimate rounds when Fury looked to have him going.

hazharrison

Posts : 7540
Join date : 2011-03-26

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Can't believe? Really??? After all which we have seen over the years.....??

Look how hard Haye had to work to get Wlad a point deduction in his fight!! Did Wlad getting ANY points deducted for his wrestling of Pov? Could easily have had a point a round go.

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 40
Location : London

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm

The pov fight was a disgrace. Real difficult watch. Don't think too many would rewatch it.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:57 pm

I think Wlad eventually got one point deducted in the Pov match, but could be wrong. The ref in the Fury match was a bit disgraceful, let Wlad do all his usual hugging (with the odd headbutt thrown in too) and then deducted a point from Fury for hitting behind the head IIRC.

Judges scored it well though.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12103
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...?? - Page 3 Empty Re: AJ versus Fury deja vu - are we all making the same mistakes again...??

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum