The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
Jetty
jimbobgooner
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurryfan
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 14 MAN SQUAD (guildford Wink )FOR THE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH AGAINST SOMERSET AT THE KIA OVAL STARTING ON SUNDAY.
Zafar Ansari returns to the squad having recovered from the thumb injury he sustained in the game against Lancashire last season at the Emirates Old Trafford. Mathew Pillans in included in a Championship squad for the first time but Sam Curran is unavailable for selection having returned to school for the summer term.
There is no place in the the squad for james burke this time.
stuart meaker and jade dernbach remain on the treatment table.
The Surrey squad to play Somerset in the Specsavers County Championship at the Kia Oval on Sunday 24th April, Monday 25th April, Tuesday 26th April and Wednesday 27th April:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Arun Harinath
Mathew Pillans
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
ravioli if not over ankle injury Rolling Eyes wilson and Pillans to miss out, if ravioli makes it then batty (which will please olly ) Laugh
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 6:26 pm

Utterly bonkers decision about the light. No common sense and no respect for the paying customers, most of whom had sat outside in awful conditions and had to do so longer with no cricket to watch during the first stoppage when by general consent it was lighter than it had been 10 minutes earlier. The umpires seemed to realise they had goofed then as they waited at the wicket for about another 5 mins after the players had already gone off. I don't know why they then came back out and soon off again (other than to get Roy out!!) - I was already heading for my train.

Anyway, an excellent day. Sanga must have the word "class" running all the way through him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 8:43 pm

Back home and feeling even better now with a steak and jacket spud inside me!

As well as the praise already deserved heaped on Sanga, only fair to give credit as well to Burns and Roy for their knocks. The first hour was probably the worst time to be batting - grey, overcast, bitterly cold and up against the new ball; Burns battled his way through that when Craig Overton was at his best (8 overs at the start, on the reel apart from a change of ends) and then blossomed. Just a shame he couldn't get to 3 figures. He's done consistently well for some time now but imo will need some biggers scores to get the national selectors properly interested.

Lovely mix of timing and power from Roy. Maintained the impetus after Sanga went. Again a shame he didn't get the century which - as Olly said - he deserved.

In case J Dizzle and any other Cidermen supporters are looking in - Somerset stuck at it and didn't bowl particularly badly. It's just that I doubt any county attack could have handled Sanga today. The one thing they couldn't afford - as van der Merwe did off Trego - was to drop Sanga on 30 odd. In the horribly cold conditions that may have been understandable but it was still unforgivable if you see what I mean! Generally, their fielding was good - excellent work on the boundary from Hildreth and Overton.

Just seen the cricinfo report - thought that was harsh on Overton's bowling. He was on the money at the start and kept going. The main reason his figures suffered was that Rogers returned to him and trusted him more than the others to bowl at Sanga.

The one query I would have over Somerset's attack is why they chose two spinners in van der Merwe and Leach. Thought Jamie O or Allenby (his medium pace dobbers always look Sunday village stuff to me but he has an annoyingly impressive record against Surrey) would have been more suitable than one of the slow men. There again, we've gone in with Ansari and Batty which I remain concerned about ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Apr 2016, 8:47 pm

Thanks for the report, Guildford. Pleased to see Ansari get some good time at the crease. Hopefully he was looking reasonably solid?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Apr 2016, 8:54 pm

No problem, Corporal.

Ansari definitely appeared solid and was a good fit at number 6. Allowed Roy to take on Sanga's role and go after the attack even more whilst he (Ansari) remained secure and still put away any balls asking for treatment.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:58 am

Great report Guidford.....burning question...are you back for more today? Forecast is for it to be even colder Yahoo  still the thought of another steak and jacket potato might help....maybe a sneaky hip flask might assist too!  Sounds like an absolute master class from Sangerkara...

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:08 am

Play started and Ansari brings up the 400 with couple of boundaries.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:41 am

Dig in Zaf, dig in son
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:42 am

That's all fails again Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:47 am

Thanks, Chichester, and morning all.

I'm tied up at times Monday to Wednesday this week so won't be seeing any more of The Cidermen at the Oval. It therefore had to be yesterday or nothing for me. Even though it was cold (did I mention that? Wink ), glad I went along - always like to see one day of each home Championship match. Add to that, Sanga was rather good.

You and the Corporal are our resident weather experts - do you reckon there'll be enough play for a positive result?

See they're playing atm anyway. Foakes gone this morning but over 420 already on the board. Certainly can't complain about that and can relax a bit - you don't lose with that sort of total first dig.

Btw, Chichester, you obviously dine better than me if you can consider steak on consecutive nights! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

Fairly attritional stuff this morning. As I type, Curran run out. 429 - 7.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:54 am

steam steam steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:03 pm

Fairly cloudy from the pics I've seen tweeted today - again makes you question why only three seamers
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

Olly - I went into the ground with Matt Dunn's dad yesterday (know him to say hello to). He thought his lad might be playing given the conditions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

The theory of Ansari coming in at No 6 and providing stability while rest of lower order put together some runs (ie in preference to Surrey lower order collapsing at both ends like pack of cards in a gale) is always liable to lead to some frustration - if Ansari scores slowly and none of the lower order batsmen get stuck in.

Hopefully, in this instance, Batty will bash out a quick 30+ while Ansari moves serenely into the 60s. Very Happy But as I type Batty is run out! furious

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:09 pm

Give me strength another run out mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:12 pm

I can understand Zaf being expected to hold it together and the others asked to crack on but it'll be irritating to give them full bowling points.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - I went into the ground with Matt Dunn's dad yesterday (know him to say hello to). He thought his lad might be playing given the conditions.

Batting first at least gives us the fourth innings to bowl in with the spinners - but again it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Burke's complete omission also irking me - a key part of the team last year I feel he should be given a chance when Sam Curran isn't there to bat at 8 and be the 4th seamer - a role he did admirably last year
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm

Disgraceful run outs in a 4 day game furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm

Rampaul has to cut short his mid morning snack after another run out - not sure he can make it another 45 mins until lunch #prayforRavi
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm

Off for bad light ravioli is happy early lunch Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:18 pm

Off for bad light. Earlier we had a shower in West Kent, and various of the other cc matches have been disrupted. Probably will be a bit hit and miss how much play we get in.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:21 pm

Son of Boris has run both players out warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - I went into the ground with Matt Dunn's dad yesterday (know him to say hello to). He thought his lad might be playing given the conditions.

Is there no end to the celebs Guildford is on first name terms with! Wink Wink Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:26 pm

Itk Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm

50 for son of Boris clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

Curran and Batty never applauded Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm

Terrible session this should have got at least 500

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

Ansari out - I thought they might declare then to get a 20 minutes burst with new ball before lunch.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

If we fail to win this game this will be the session that will have cost us 2 stupid run outs under no pressure

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm

44 for the last 5 wkts picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm

GB, there has to be some incentive for watching cricket in rather chilly conditions!..( having said that... I'm not really a steak person!..but would happily take a jacket potato with bacon and avocado !! But I digress....).looking at BBC weather .....probably a number of interruptions over next couple of days....unlikely to be snow stopped play at the Oval....further north a different matter.....lets hope we can get max bowling points plus points for a draw and I'll be pretty happy!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:41 pm

463 all out

Not as good as it could've been, but I'd have snapped your hand off for it after winning the toss yesterday. Now over to the bowlers - this Somerset batting line up is very top heavy, so early wickets are vital
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:43 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:If we fail to win this game this will be the session that will have cost us 2 stupid run outs under no pressure

That's going a bit far at this stage, Jimbob?  Ok it was a nothing sort of session, but 463 is still a big total, scored at a fairly rapid pace. So, if the weather permits, there is still ample opportunity to win, or fail to win, the game through the performance of the bowlers.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

Start the betting how many no balls to come Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm

It did look yesterday as if we would end up with even more but north of 450 is still absolutely fine. Now up to the bowlers and the weather.

I suppose rather gifting Somerset a 3rd bowling point is an acceptable risk in our going for the win. Just hope they don't avoid relegation and see us go for the drop by one point!!

PS Corporal - if you want some more, I also met Matt Dunn's bro Jonathan yesterday. Wink

PPS Chichester - bet you didn't eat avocado in the old days at Upton Park! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 1:18 pm

Strange first innings Surrey scorecard and in marked contrast to Trent Bridge. There several of our batsmen got a start but none went on. In this game, only 4 scored more than a dozen but all of those 4 then went past 50 and one (Sanga) spectacularly so.

Deduct Sanga's runs though and things don't look so rosy! Fortunately, we don't have to here - when he's gone, it may be a different story.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm

So about that decision to pick only three seamers Gareth/Michael...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:50 pm

Somerset 50-0 in the 17th over - tight bowling but no breakthrough so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 2:52 pm

Looking on the bright side, Jimbob, no no balls so far! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:11 pm

Well we've kept it tight which means a couple quick wickets puts us on top, thing is those wickets don't appear to be forthcoming

Ravioli is gonna need one heck of a tea to get through to the end of play at this rate...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:29 pm

I see that Footitt's got Abell, caught by the Baron.

Enter Buck Rogers. He's got form against us going back to his Derbys days.

I can only echo Olly's words - seems daft to have no 4th seamer but 2 spinners.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:31 pm

An early tea at the Oval. I assume that's the weather rather than special pleading by Ravioli!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:33 pm

Yeah Tresco/Rogers is a scary partnership! Rain halts progress now...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 4:23 pm

Back on after rain interruption and tea. Footitt completes the last 4 balls of his over and goes for 3 boundaries - maybe Ravioli wolfed his sarnies!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Apr 2016, 4:37 pm

99 - 1 off for rain again. At least this showery weather allows the three seamers attack to take regular breaks....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Apr 2016, 4:45 pm

Corporal - yes, although even less need for 2 spinners.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 4:58 pm

Draw looking more and more nailed on...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

my prediction that snow would stop play was wrong! They carried on playing at Durham despite a brief snow flurry!

https://twitter.com/DurhamCricket/status/724635827880468481

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:21 am

I like to see four fast bowlers... and expected Dunn to play replacing Sam Curran.
Dunn s/r 50.8
Batty s/r 68.5

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Apr 2016, 10:58 am

Hi Jetty - I like Dunn and would be happy to see him in the team.

A couple of factors which don't help him are firstly our having a slow bowler as captain. Imo that is unnecessarily using up a place in the eleven which would be better occupied at this part of the season by a seamer.

Secondly, Dunn is no great shakes with the bat. That shouldn't be a major factor but I suspect Surrey aren't keen on having Rampaul, Dunn and Footitt at 9, 10, Jack.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next