The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+22
dynamark
Hibbz
Eyetoldyouso
1GrumpyGolfer
Be_the_ball
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
Roller_Coaster
Yadsendew
MontysMerkin
I'm never wrong
Davie
raycastleunited
McLaren
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
JAS
super_realist
pedro
SmithersJones
westisbest
beninho
26 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Fri 17 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:Having concerns about EU immigration does not make you a far right nutter or xenophobe. Mclaren, what is your knowledge on EU immigration, what dealings do you have with it? Can you see why people may have concerns about it?

Unless your concerns about how we can offer a more humane immigration system then you are xenophobe.  If you are worried about the geographical location of where someone popped out of a uterus then you are not thinking rationally.

And no, I cannot see why anyone would have any issue with the current levels of immigration to/from the UK.  Unless as I said above you are worried about how some people coming here are treated.

Do you not agree that an expanding population due to EU immigration, would lead to an extra burden on the NHS, housing, benefit and other public services aswell as the rise in rents?

Do you think that EU immigration, where people get fake payslips in order to claim benefits, working tax credits child tax credits and housing assistance? Or people that work minimal hours and tdo not pay any tax or nino who then can claim housing and benefit assistance? Or people that illegally overstay in the country, in order to achieve a loophole and gain housing or benefit assistance.

All of these are ongoing issues, though you did not answer my question in the first place.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Aug 2016, 10:54 am

What are you on about Monty. The word niggardly doesn't have any racial connotations other than it sounds like a word which does.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:30 am

Monty, you're wrong I'm afraid.

From OED:

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/126920#eid34818171

And from my Mac's Dictionary:

usage: The word niggardly has no connection with the highly offensive term person of African descent, but because of the similarity of sound and its negative meaning of ‘mean, ungenerous’ many people are uncomfortable with using it for fear of causing offence, and in the US it is now widely avoided.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

I live near a place called Nigg. Should they change the name of their town simply because some people don't understand the difference between words, meaning and usage?

Perhaps Mac would also like to change the name of the stuffed foot stool, known as "poof" to avoid offence, or perhaps change the colloquial British slang for cigarette?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:59 am

super_realist wrote:I live near a place called Nigg. Should they change the name of their town simply because some people don't understand the difference between words, meaning and usage?
I think that would be the decent thing to do.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 05 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm

And I'm surprised those north of the border haven't complained about the disgusting use of scotch to describe an alcoholic beverage AND a transparent adhesive tape.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Aug 2016, 12:34 pm

Davie

Cite one example of me trawling?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 05 Aug 2016, 12:56 pm

Most of this thread - and plenty of others

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:03 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:I live near a place called Nigg. Should they change the name of their town simply because some people don't understand the difference between words, meaning and usage?
I think that would be the decent thing to do.

What a ninny. (Hope I didn't "offend" anyone with that term.)

While we're at it, should we change the name of Nigeria or Niger too? Maybe we should change the name of Scunthorpe because it contains a swearword, or perhaps refrain from using the word "night" because of the first three letters? Grow up man. Stop being so synthetically sensitive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:15 pm

Please do not use that word here. Ninny is degrading and could be considered offensive.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:22 pm

McLaren wrote:Davie

LaughOKlaughingDoh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:35 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:

LaughOKlaughingDoh

There was at least one time but I can't exactly remember when so perhaps doesn't adequately answer your question. Anyhow, you said you took a net and dragged it through the sea and collected the contents afterwards to sell at market.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:38 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:

LaughOKlaughingDoh

There was at least one time but I can't exactly remember when so perhaps doesn't adequately answer your question. Anyhow, you said you took a net and dragged it through the sea and collected the contents afterwards to sell at market.

I was trying to guess who would say this first. My money was on Pedro or Monty. Well done Roller.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Aug 2016, 1:50 pm

Davie wrote:Most of this thread - and plenty of others

ok, lets make this very easy for you. Pick an example from the current thread or discussion about supers use of "shylock"?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 05 Aug 2016, 2:00 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:

LaughOKlaughingDoh

I was trying to guess who would say this first. My money was on Pedro or Monty. Well done Roller.

Sorry

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Aug 2016, 2:28 pm

super_realist wrote:Where did I say I was wearing jeans?

Wearing running shoes for anything other than running is a sartorial mistake.

According to you. No doubt this will be another debate where Super dismisses what other people do or like but fails to reveal his own situation.

Wearing smart shoes and jeans looks a lot worse. Nothing worse than seeing middle aged men in smart shoes and shirt tucked into ill fitting jeans.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Aug 2016, 2:44 pm

Again though Mac, I didn't say I wore jeans, let alone what type of shoes I favour.

I was simply trying to say that wearing running shoes as a casual item of clothing is as horrid as wearing a football shirt as a casual item of clothing.

Running shoes don't look good with anything.

I presume you wear white socks too?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Aug 2016, 2:49 pm

Super

I get it, you are the Gok Wan of Aberdeen. So what style of clothing do you tend to go for when heading out?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 05 Aug 2016, 2:53 pm

oh it's so horrid.
Ghastly.

I might wear some running shoes and a football top tomorrow.

Just to see how horrid I can look Very Happy

Lighten up man.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 05 Aug 2016, 2:59 pm

Do you stand at bar super realist and look at what people are wearing.
Turn your nose up if you don't like their choice of clothes.
While your mates are busy having a good time, chatting up woman etc.

Your that guy arnt you.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 05 Aug 2016, 3:05 pm

westisbest wrote:Do you stand at bar super realist and look at what people are wearing.
Turn your nose up if you don't like their choice of clothes.
While your mates are busy having a good time, chatting up woman etc.

Your that guy arnt you.

Not been for a while, but I guessed Scoootland [sic] had more than 1 woman (I'm ignoring the plural of mateS of Super!)

For the easily (or professionally) offended, both elements of the above line were jokes.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Aug 2016, 3:13 pm

Super hasn't been laid since he started posting on the old bbc 606 the best part of 10 years ago. He is definitely "that guy".
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 05 Aug 2016, 3:22 pm

Scottish sartorial elegance demands at least 1 nylon item, 1 stone washed denim item (jeans or jacket), white socks, black leather shoes and a balding mullet. Fact.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 05 Aug 2016, 4:15 pm

Who says running shoes?? Aren't they just trainers. People that i know that don't wear trainers are my dad and father in law and generally old people. While wearing a suit and trainers looks a bit odd you can get sone very nice ones that can be worn with almost anything.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:11 pm

Who doesn't wear jeans??!
Sometimes I might go out in some three quarter length shorts or something but most things, certainly evening type things, most people I know would wear jeans.
What else would you wear?? Cords?! Shell suit??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:25 pm

He probably wears beige chinos

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:52 pm

By jeans I mean traditional jeans like these;

Old school jeans:

Surely no one is wearing them at the moment.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 05 Aug 2016, 10:55 pm

Err yeah, what do you think people are wearing Mac??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Aug 2016, 9:14 am

Mac probably wears skinny jeans as if he were in Def Leppard 1985

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 06 Aug 2016, 11:55 am

My laser rangefinder is on the blink so might give a GPS app a shot for a while.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what app to go for and just any general feedback you have on using a GPS golf app. My phone is android.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

My only feedback is that GPS whilst on your phone completely rinses your battery on your phone.

Why not do what you always preach and use your "skill in judgement"?

Failing that, it's quite good if you have a strokesaver book and pin sheet.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 06 Aug 2016, 12:18 pm

Super

I don't use a measuring device when playing a round all that often but sometimes I like to track how far I have hit a drive or other shot when practicing to get some extra feedback.

If I was playing an interesting course with one ball in a match or keeping score I wouldn't tend to get the range finder out as it can ruin the experience.

But when practicing it is something to mess about with.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Aug 2016, 12:22 pm

It can sometimes be good to run out of battery and instead of chasing flags, you end up going for middle of greens based on sprinkler head yardages. Amazing how scorewise it can help

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 06 Aug 2016, 10:30 pm

If you don't use a dmd when playing a round, why the Frak do you own a laser rangefinder?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 06 Aug 2016, 11:20 pm

Smithers

As I said above, I use it during practice and practice rounds to monitor how far I am hitting each club, especially with wedges. But if playing a proper round on a course that interests me I would tend not to use it.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:28 pm

Fascinated to hear how you measure how far you've hit a drive using a laser? Do you plant your alignment sticks in the tee and pick them up later?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 08 Aug 2016, 9:31 am

SmithersJones wrote:Fascinated to hear how you measure how far you've hit a drive using a laser? Do you plant your alignment sticks in the tee and pick them up later?

Hit drive, walk to ball, get laser out, point laser at tee block you have walked from.

Slap laser. Re-measure. Shake laser. Re-measure. Finish round. Go on 606v2 and confess to hitting drives 60 yards less than thought.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Aug 2016, 9:45 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:Fascinated to hear how you measure how far you've hit a drive using a laser? Do you plant your alignment sticks in the tee and pick them up later?

Hit drive, walk to ball, get laser out, point laser at tee block you have walked from.

Slap laser. Re-measure. Shake laser. Re-measure. Finish round. Go on 606v2 and confess to hitting drives 60 yards less than thought.
Very Happy Very Happy

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 08 Aug 2016, 11:21 am

You don't have to use a pin to get the distance. Just point it at the teeing ground, bench, bin whatever.

If I drop some balls in the fairway to hit at the pin, then you can obviously get a yardage to the pin. Good for shots inside 100 yards. Drop 10 balls and use it to grove the feeling of hitting a certain distance.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 08 Aug 2016, 12:14 pm

Does anyone actually know what handicap you play off Mac, out of interest?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Aug 2016, 12:30 pm

Obama just revealed his hcp as "an honest 13". Don't know if it's good or bad taking into account he has played 300 rounds while in office. It's probably ok.

Trump's hcp is 3. So I guess that'll be "a dishonest 3"... Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 08 Aug 2016, 12:40 pm

mustputt

I have admitted many times that I don't have one.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 08 Aug 2016, 12:57 pm

I know that Mac but you must know roughly what sort of handicap you would be, or are just shy / Maverick?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 08 Aug 2016, 1:30 pm

I've seen videos of Trump play, there is absolutely NO CHANCE he plays off three.

MPB, I suspect we have as much chance of finding out Mac's handicap as we do what he does for a living.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 08 Aug 2016, 4:20 pm

Super

You have found out my handicap, I don't have one. You now know exactly what my handicap is.

Mustputt

I wouldn't claim to have any particular handicap as it is harder to score in comps. However, my best for the season is a -1 (with a rather unlikely back nine of 29) but I would usually aim to shoot in the mid 70's for a good round. But I realise this isn't in a comp so is meaningless in terms of calculating a handicap.

If I play matchplay with anyone around 5 I don't take shots and would give shots to anyone who is high single figure. The last match I played was against a 9 handicapper who refused to take any shots and the game was over pretty early in the back nine.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 08 Aug 2016, 4:47 pm

Is that Braids you are scoring mid 70's? Not bad on those abysmal greens. Some nice holes on that course, if shocking condition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 08 Aug 2016, 6:06 pm

Fair enough Mac. So competition pressure aside you're maybe a 6, maybe a 3, something around there.
Was just wondering really on the back of the 'advice' on the other thread re JAS topping / not topping a drive
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:01 pm

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that Mac is no more a single figure player than I am

What with LP now moving North of the border, JAS making regular trips there, super_realist and plenty of other posters from here being Scottish based, 1GG visiting recently, and all of them seemingly keen to meet up and play rounds together, and nary a sniff of Mac meeting anyone. A back nine of 29? Was that Playstation or Nintendo?

Amuses me that he takes great pleasure that he was the one to unmask Maverick but I reckon he's just as bad

I've no hard facts on which to base this opinion .. just a long time listening to Billy Liar types on the internet

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm

Indeed, a back 9 of 29 is very fishy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:17 pm

Super

Not if you know the par of that nine Wink

Davie

Fair enough, no reason to take anyone's word on the internet without some level of skepticism.

Although I have repeatedly asked Super to honour his promise to shout me a round at Trumpton or The castle course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:43 pm

Must be a short course Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next