The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

+37
sensisball
demosthenes
LondonTiger
TJ
Artful_Dodger
nickj
yappysnap
lostinwales
des
Nematode
reallybored
bsando
Prothero
HongKongCherry
Hazel Sapling
RossAnderson
BigGee
Senlac
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
jimbopip
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
GLove39
Tattie Scones RRN
EST
Eejit
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
cakeordeath
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):

Guinness Pro12

Edinburgh - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

Europe

Champions Cup - Glasgow Warriors   (click to show/hide):

Challenge Cup - Edinburgh   (click to show/hide):

1872 Cup

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Trophy

Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

The season has commenced

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 1347041234

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm; edited 40 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links to YouTube playlists of Pro12 highlights)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's the other contradiction - he says we need to use more young Scottish players but we need to drip feed them into a team of established pros, not just throw them in all together, but where do we get all these experienced pros from if we can't bring NSQ players in?

Bring back Strokosch and De Luca. I presume they are still playing somewhere, and these guys are dripping with experience.

The "drip feed" point is particularly stupid. Solomons has actually taken quite a bit of care over the introduction of young SQ players into the Edinburgh XV, and I would argue has struck a pretty good balance between handing out opportunities and holding players back. He's been too conservative at times (Bradbury looked good value for more exposure last season) and perhaps a bit over-confident at others (I've still to see Jamie Ritchie hit a ruck and actually make a difference) but I'd say he's got a pretty decent record with young SQ players (Sutherland, Toolis, SH-C, Kinghorn, Dean and Hoyland for example).

Has he ignored anyone screaming for more rugby? Other than one Challenge Cup game last season, has anyone felt that he's thrown too many youngsters in at the deep end?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:14 pm

Whilst we're ripping his article to pieces, can someone explain to me the "huge" benefits of using Heriot-Watt or Edinburgh Uni facilities for training purposes as opposed to the SRU facilities at Murrayfield?

He's pointed out that this would be considerably more expensive, but I'm just trying to get my head around the "huge" upside, given that he didn't bother to explain what it would be.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm

It is indeed, but where Solomons has fallen down is that the 'experienced' players that he has brought in just weren't up to scratch. Now that might not be his fault (i.e. they were the best we could get) but it meant his ideology just wouldn't work.

Solomons should definitely get some credit for bringing young players on but it is worth remembering that a number of them only got picked in the first place because we literally had no one else to select. If it hadn't been for injuries some of these players may still have been relative unknowns. It is the Marcus Rashford effect for those who know their football!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:18 pm

The whole piece is shambolic, don't play youngsters, gradually ease them in, but don't sign experienced foreigners (only world class ones), so what players are we putting out at this time?

Move from Murrayfield - That's already happening, so not really a suggestion of what should happen, more a statement of fact.

The independent board, makes sense if he believes Petrie & co aren't especially independent from the SRU, which given they are in the same building you could probably accept. I think there will always been some dictation from Cotter/Townsend/Whoever comes next, in terms of playing Scottish players in certain positions, which makes sense given the pro teams are partially there to provide Scottish players to the national team. Glasgow must surely have the same issues. I think the independent board thing is just allowing Edinburgh to try new/different things, like actually marketing games for a start, ticket offers or that kind of idea. At least that's what I'm guessing he's getting at.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

The 'you never win anything with kids' philosophy is pretty prevalent throughout coaches really. Most will always plum for experience over youthful promise and with good reason.

That is one of the reasons so many promising youngsters never progress, as they just never get the chances they need.

Solly's hand was forced at first, but having seen them play, he did on the whole stick with them, which is to his credit.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:It is indeed, but where Solomons has fallen down is that the 'experienced' players that he has brought in just weren't up to scratch.  Now that might not be his fault (i.e. they were the best we could get) but it meant his ideology just wouldn't work.

Solomons should definitely get some credit for bringing young players on but it is worth remembering that a number of them only got picked in the first place because we literally had no one else to select. If it hadn't been for injuries some of these players may still have been relative unknowns.  It is the Marcus Rashford effect for those who know their football!

Are you suggesting that he doesn't just throw youngsters in on a whim?? I think you've failed to note that the Morrison Manifesto takes a contrary view. Drip-feeding is what we need. Solomons has been reckless in his over-exposure of our younger players. Read the memo.

I'd like to say that I know my football, but the performance of my fantasy football team would suggest otherwise!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Whilst we're ripping his article to pieces, can someone explain to me the "huge" benefits of using Heriot-Watt or Edinburgh Uni facilities for training purposes as opposed to the SRU facilities at Murrayfield?

He's pointed out that this would be considerably more expensive, but I'm just trying to get my head around the "huge" upside, given that he didn't bother to explain what it would be.

The only thing i can think here is he believes the SRU (or lets just blame Johnson) are interfering in someway with training etc, because it's on their doorstep. I can't think of any other reason to believe the training facilities are going to be hugely better elsewhere.

Not that I think it would make the blindest of difference, other than we'd have a superb set of training facilities doing nothing whilst Edinburgh are burning through their budget using a 3rd parties

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:22 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:The whole piece is shambolic, don't play youngsters, gradually ease them in, but don't sign experienced foreigners (only world class ones), so what players are we putting out at this time?

Move from Murrayfield - That's already happening, so not really a suggestion of what should happen, more a statement of fact.

The independent board, makes sense if he believes Petrie & co aren't especially independent from the SRU, which given they are in the same building you could probably accept.  I think there will always been some dictation from Cotter/Townsend/Whoever comes next, in terms of playing Scottish players in certain positions, which makes sense given the pro teams are partially there to provide Scottish players to the national team.  Glasgow must surely have the same issues.  I think the independent board thing is just allowing Edinburgh to try new/different things, like actually marketing games for a start, ticket offers or that kind of idea.  At least that's what I'm guessing he's getting at.

Got to agree on that in particular - if you didn't A) already know Edinburgh Rugby existed, B) already know that there was a game on and C) already had a desire to go and watch then there is absolutely no chance that you would see any kind of marketing anywhere to make you want to go.

There really is hardly any marketing at all apart from the odd half arsed idea - how is that going to help bring in the crowds? It's like they've given up too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd like to say that I know my football, but the performance of my fantasy football team would suggest otherwise!

We're exactly level on points in the league - this season has been a bit of a disaster! They all are to be fair...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That's the other contradiction - he says we need to use more young Scottish players but we need to drip feed them into a team of established pros, not just throw them in all together, but where do we get all these experienced pros from if we can't bring NSQ players in?

Bring back Strokosch and De Luca. I presume they are still playing somewhere, and these guys are dripping with experience.

The "drip feed" point is particularly stupid. Solomons has actually taken quite a bit of care over the introduction of young SQ players into the Edinburgh XV, and I would argue has struck a pretty good balance between handing out opportunities and holding players back. He's been too conservative at times (Bradbury looked good value for more exposure last season) and perhaps a bit over-confident at others (I've still to see Jamie Ritchie hit a ruck and actually make a difference) but I'd say he's got a pretty decent record with young SQ players (Sutherland, Toolis, SH-C, Kinghorn, Dean and Hoyland for example).

Has he ignored anyone screaming for more rugby? Other than one Challenge Cup game last season, has anyone felt that he's thrown too many youngsters in at the deep end?

Berghan, Bradbury, Dean and A Toolis last season could have done with more consistent use. Constantly playing Andress was a waste. This season the failure to play Kinghorn much and dropping Scholes, even if NSQ, for several weeks stands out.

In the long run he has blooded players, the problem is he waits for injuries to be "forced" into changes. He rarely drops players who end up becoming knackered or being way out of form. Berghan could have played 150-200 minutes more and given Nel a bit more of a rest last season. CDP could have had 150-200 minutes less last season in favour of Bradbury earlier on. Strauss playing ahead of Dean at almost any time last season was pointless. He caused Edinburgh to lose Shiells and A Toolis who are both professional, SQ players who could have developed into something much more.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:29 pm

Agree with all of this and whilst claiming you've brought on youngsters to demonstrate the legacy you have left at the club is fine in principle - let's be clear eyed about this. A disproportionately high level of these opportunities came through injury. I don't think that Hamish Watson would have got a sniff last season had Mike Coman not toppled over under the weight of his leadership skills. I don't think that Solomons is a good player manager. At all.

Am getting somewhat urined off about this stadium stuff. The problem is, of course, that Murrayfield is always there - that siren call whose use does not involve the need to placate the cashmere wearing Mrs McBumfertie set who are worried that there might be frightful noise and mess in their postcode for 6 months. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to find a decent 3,000 seat venue in this city and then scrub it up to make it serviceable for professional sport. Unless that man is Scott Johnson, obviously.

I get so p!ssed off with the excuse of 'it's all just too hard'. The SRU should spend some time out here. In this country, they knock down and replace buildings that are more than 3 years old, are dirty or which have become unfashionable.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:40 pm

I suppose the move training from Murrayfield idea links to the topic of lacking identity. They're training using the Scotland national stadium facilities, the managers have their offices next to SRU bosses (remember when the Currathers brothers put their offices in portacabins in the Murrayfield carpark??) and I know that when Scotland are training Edinburgh get turfed out of their changing rooms and have to train on the other pitches - Scotland gets priority.

So on paper it might be a sensible suggestion.  However:

- It would cost a feckin fortune to train 5 days a week at a private facility.  Money would be much better spent on players (and marketing!)

- It isn't just rugby training, there is the entire backroom operation around it.  You would need accommodation for physios, masseuses, somewhere to keep all your equipment, IT facilities for post-match analysis and doing briefings and analysis for next games etc.  You would either have to move the entire operation to a remote training facility, then move it again for match days, or split things between Murrayfield and somewhere else - not ideal.

So really it isn't a very good idea.  Unless we can find somwhere that we can move absolutely everything for both training and matches, like Glasgow have, then there really isn't any point.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 03 Oct 2016, 1:39 pm

George Carlin wrote:Agree with all of this and whilst claiming you've brought on youngsters to demonstrate the legacy you have left at the club is fine in principle - let's be clear eyed about this. A disproportionately high level of these opportunities came through injury. I don't think that Hamish Watson would have got a sniff last season had Mike Coman not toppled over under the weight of his leadership skills. I don't think that Solomons is a good player manager. At all.

Am getting somewhat urined off about this stadium stuff. The problem is, of course, that Murrayfield is always there - that siren call whose use does not involve the need to placate the cashmere wearing Mrs McBumfertie set who are worried that there might be frightful noise and mess in their postcode for 6 months. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to find a decent 3,000 seat venue in this city and then scrub it up to make it serviceable for professional sport. Unless that man is Scott Johnson, obviously.

I get so p!ssed off with the excuse of 'it's all just too hard'. The SRU should spend some time out here. In this country, they knock down and replace buildings that are more than 3 years old, are dirty or which have become unfashionable.

Not sure if you've heard GC, but the club have found a stadium and it's currently being scrubbed up as we speak Hug

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 03 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm

The Scotsman would be far better off getting rid of its rugby journalists and just having a column from someone like Mike Blair on a Sunday.

In my opinion, Edinburgh are 'just' a very, very rusty team of relatively good players (as of now).

When you think of the line-up they could (now, uninjured) field to play an exciting brand of rugby:

Sutherland, Ford, Nel, Toolis, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Hardie, Du Preez, SHC, Tovey, Hoyland, Burleigh (Rasolea), Allen, Scholes, Brown

It is a side that undeniably has some talent and can play a good brand of rugby but it will take time. Whether that's a few games, half a season, a season or more, it is hard to tell (coaches, mental attitude etc.). But looking at that lineup with players like Manu, Berghan & Bresler to come back, not to mention Tofilau and Rasolea (who look like a very good combination), Edinburgh have the resources to play a good brand of rugby and win some games.

I think time and the new location are relevant. The rest that Morrison suggests is really not that important.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Oct 2016, 6:11 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Agree with all of this and whilst claiming you've brought on youngsters to demonstrate the legacy you have left at the club is fine in principle - let's be clear eyed about this. A disproportionately high level of these opportunities came through injury. I don't think that Hamish Watson would have got a sniff last season had Mike Coman not toppled over under the weight of his leadership skills. I don't think that Solomons is a good player manager. At all.

Not sure if you've heard GC, but the club have found a stadium and it's currently being scrubbed up as we speak Hug
Sign here: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/no-to-edinburgh-rugby-at-myreside + https://www.facebook.com/No2EdRugby/

Nothing like that community good feeling.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 03 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

Ah that's different though, the SRU/Edinburgh have found a seemingly decent stadium, just so happens a few local residents have their pants in a twist. To be fair I bet they are all secretly delighted, gives them something to complain about.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 7:27 pm

On the plus side, 236 people in Edinburgh have just discovered that the team exists - that could increase our crowd by 10%!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:41 pm

Talking of things which upset people in the posh part of Edinburgh I am about to embark on the second part of my biannual expedition to Morningside. Can anyone recommend a nice place for a drink. I know this is quite un-Glaswegian of me, but I am very fond of a good Martini, or possibly a well made Gin and Tonic

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

Well talking of posh Edinburgh things I just spoke to my parents who said they were out tonight picking up curtains at Waitrose, which they ordered from John Lewis - I told them you'd struggle to find a more middle class thing to do on a Monday night!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well talking of posh Edinburgh things I just spoke to my parents who said they were out tonight picking up curtains at Waitrose, which they ordered from John Lewis - I told them you'd struggle to find a more middle class thing to do on a Monday night!

They could also have been picking up parmesan for the second home.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:13 pm

They apparently only had Waitrose Essentials Parmesan, but obviously didn't get that - they aren't savages after all.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:They apparently only had Waitrose Essentials Parmesan, but obviously didn't get that - they aren't savages after all.

Very Happy

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Oct 2016, 5:28 am

cakeordeath wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Well talking of posh Edinburgh things I just spoke to my parents who said they were out tonight picking up curtains at Waitrose, which they ordered from John Lewis - I told them you'd struggle to find a more middle class thing to do on a Monday night!

Then go to their Georgian townhouse, sit on their Natuzzi sofa and watch the Great British Bake Off which their son Crawford digitally stored for them.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 9:54 am

laughing

I do love a healthy dose of Edinburgh stereotyping!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Oct 2016, 9:54 am

George Carlin wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

Then go to their Georgian townhouse, sit on their Natuzzi sofa and watch the Great British Bake Off which their son Crawford digitally stored for them.

How do you know my brother??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:09 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

They probably play squash together at The Grange, before popping to their local, The Scran and Scally, for a dash of Edinburgh Pink Gin with Bramley & Gage's 6 O'Clock, and a bowl of hand cut chips, topped with blue Himalayan rock salt with hand distressed rocket salad drizzled with Melgarejo Hojiblanca Premium olive oil and Stilton sprinkles.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:16 am

Thankfully MrsPip and I chose not to attend the opening of the Chelmsford John Lewis on Saturday.
It turned somewhat ugly; the Prosecco tap broke. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:34 am

jimbopip wrote:Thankfully MrsPip and I chose not to attend the opening of the Chelmsford John Lewis on Saturday.  

Come on Jimbo, if they are serving prosecco on tap then it legally can't be called proecco. You should know this! warning

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:37 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

They probably play squash together at The Grange, before popping to their local, The Scran and Scally, for a dash of Edinburgh Pink Gin with Bramley & Gage's 6 O'Clock, and a bowl of hand cut chips, topped with blue Himalayan rock salt with hand distressed rocket salad drizzled with Melgarejo Hojiblanca Premium olive oil and Stilton sprinkles.

Are the chips triple cooked?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:40 am

The Scran and Scally has been highly recommended in the latest Michelin guide - the burger I had there was the best burger I've ever had so it gets 5* in the RDW guide too.

And yes, the chips were triple cooked.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:42 am

What does that even mean?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:44 am

You boil, freeze, fry, freeze, fry again - don't know why but they taste good!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:48 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Thankfully MrsPip and I chose not to attend the opening of the Chelmsford John Lewis on Saturday.  

Come on Jimbo, if they are serving prosecco on tap then it legally can't be called proecco.  You should know this! warning

We're talking Essex RDW. Different rules apply.

It was mid afternoon so it didn't count as OUT OUT. probably barely counted as OUT. So draught Prosecco would have been socially acceptable, if not actually, technically, legal.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:You boil, freeze, fry, freeze, fry again - don't know why but they taste good!

I've been avoiding triple fried chips ever since last Hallowe'en. MrsPip went too far with the draught Prosecco and we decided that in the absence of apples, dookin for chips would be fun.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:59 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:You boil, freeze, fry, freeze, fry again - don't know why but they taste good!

I've been avoiding triple fried chips ever since last Hallowe'en. MrsPip went too far with the draught Prosecco and we decided that in the absence of apples, dookin for chips would be fun.

Maybe next time don't go dookin into a deep fat fryer....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:What does that even mean?

Triple cooked = burnt.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:32 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:What does that even mean?

Triple cooked = burnt.

Agreed - and of course you pay extra for the cooking time.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:45 am

The chippy round the corner from me only extend as far as double cooked.

As in, they cook them 6.30pm, don't sell them, bit of cling film over the top, close for the night and then fry them up again 12.30pm next day.

No need for this boiling/feeezing poncy bollix.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:The chippy round the corner from me only extend as far as double cooked.

As in, they cook them 6.30pm, don't sell them, bit of cling film over the top, close for the night and then fry them up again 12.30pm next day.

The real secret is in the cooking oil. Never change it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:The chippy round the corner from me only extend as far as double cooked.

The real secret is in the cooking oil. Never change it.

Much like an Alan Solomons gameplan.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:34 pm

Moving off burnt chips, there is a story about a young scottish lad playing out in france, seems like he could be decent

The Daily Mail....oh jesus I can't believe I'm quoting a Daily Mail story with anything other than derision wrote:
Charlie Gowling switched allegiances from England to Scotland
Scrum-half won rugby scholarship to Sedbergh Academy in Cumbria
Gowling now on the fringes of a call-up to the senior Stade Francais squad

Charlie Gowling isn’t afraid of change. Nor of taking risks, it would seem, which is no bad thing for an up-and-coming scrum-half learning his trade in a country where flair players are king.
At the tender age of 18, when most teenagers are sweating at the thought of forsaking the comforts of the family home, Gowling has already made two arguably career-defining decisions.
Having fallen in love with the country when on holiday with his family, he determined France was where he wanted to play his rugby and went to great lengths to ensure that dream became a reality.

Not content with one brave step, however, Gowling also opted to switch his international allegiances from England, who he had played for at Under-16 level, to the land of his grandmother’s birth, Scotland.

Some south of the border would perhaps question his ambition given such a move but there’s little doubt this is a young man determined to make a success of his career. And, with Gowling now on the fringes of a call-up to the senior Stade Francais squad, he’s certainly going in the right direction.

‘We used to go on holiday a lot near Toulouse and I used to go and watch them in action,’ said Gowling by way of explanation as to why he again crossed the Channel this the summer.

‘I have always seen myself as a nine and Byron Kelleher (the former All Black scrum-half) was with them at the time and he was the player I used to enjoy learning and watching more than anybody.

‘As a player he was always challenging defences, was an aggressive player and he proved an inspiration to me.

‘Watching Byron in action helped spark my love of French rugby even more and to be involved this season and hopefully for a few years to come is fantastic.

‘I like to think my style of rugby suits the French game in that I like to play fast, take quick tap penalties, which was what was the type of rugby I was taught to play at school.

‘There is not much of a set plan in French rugby compared to back in the UK, where there is more structure and you get more of a chance to express yourself and just play off the cuff.
‘It is flair stuff they like and it is exciting to try and better myself in that environment this season.’

Gowling had won a rugby scholarship to Sedbergh Academy in Cumbria, the same school former England stars Will Carling and Will Greenwood attended.

That he has left the hills and valleys of the Lake District behind for a flat in the Boulogne Villacourt area on the west of Paris, near Stade Francais’ home ground of Stade Jean-Boiun, did not come by chance.

He could have stayed in the Newcastle Falcons youth academy, where he was highly rated, for one more year or even sought a move to Edinburgh or Glasgow Warriors but decided he needed a more thorough rugby education.

Believing that France was the best place for him to learn, Gowling contacted former England international Jamie Noon, who had played for Falcons and Brive, for advice.

He helped him put together a promotional video of his best displays for both the Newcastle Falcons Academy team and Scotland Under-18s, which in turn led to offers of trials over the summer with several Top 14 sides.

In the end, it came down to a choice between Paris giants Racing 92 and Stade Francais.
Gowling chose the latter — and has already started playing for their Under-22 team.
A first-team breakthrough is on the horizon but he is taking nothing for granted.
‘I am under no illusions how tough it will be to get into the Stade Francais first-team squad but this season is all about me learning and improving my game,’ said Gowling.
‘My ultimate ambition is to run down the tunnel at Murrayfield one day in a Scotland jersey and felt for that to happen I had to make sure I tried different things, took myself out of any comfort zone and try to improve my overall game.

‘The Top 14 is a great league to be part of full of international players already and to hear that Greig Laidlaw is coming to France next season, too, is great news as he is one of my favourite players, especially as he plays in my position and captains Scotland.’
His enthusiasm for the national side is heartening to hear — and the Shrewsbury-born youngster certainly harbours no regrets about leaving England behind (again).

‘Switching was the best decision I ever made,’ said Gowling. ‘I played for England Under-16s but the year after that I got injured and didn’t play for my school that often that season.

‘England didn’t show much interest because I was injured but Scotland kept in touch and they were always aware I was eligible. They really impressed me with their attitude.
‘They made clear they really wanted me to play for them and you know what, I felt they wanted me more than England did.

‘They said there was a pathway to the top if I was good enough and starting for Scotland’s Under-18 team against England and Wales earlier this year was a great experience. I certainly didn’t feel a conflict of interest or strange playing for Scotland against England.’

And what about eventually making the breakthrough to the senior squad?
‘Maybe if I was setting myself a target to have a chance to make it with Scotland, which would be a dream come true, I would put it in five years’ time, maybe?’ said Gowling. ‘I know a lot can happen and I might not make it but I don’t want to have any regrets.’

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:35 pm

It sounds like the SRU did something right in keeping in touch with him, might be through sheer desperation (Shingler) but at least it seems to have worked.  Will be interesting to see if he makes the step up

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:39 pm

Well there's a shortage of depth at 9 at Glasgow behind Pyrgos, so they should certainly be tracking his progress.

If he turns out to be really good he should move to Edinburgh, and we can ship Kennedy back.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

Behind Pyrgos and Price, FES. Hart is the present 3rd stringer and hopefully G Horne comes along enough to fight him for the jersey.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

I suspect if he turns out to be any good he won't play for a Scottish team. If he's on the verge of breaking into the stade team, then chances are he's already out of our reach/budget.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 04 Oct 2016, 1:32 pm

Talking of young scots playing in France I noticed Ben Chalmers was in the Bordeaux squad for their top 14 game at the weekend. Think he got on for the last few minutes but sounds like he is developing into a very good player.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm

Why are all of our hidden gems always scrum halves?

What I wouldn't give for another couple of Andy Cramond's hiding out there. Or a gigantic loose forward with Viking heritage who was raised on Aberdeen angus rusks and a damn good thrashing every Friday night.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 2:26 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Behind Pyrgos and Price, FES. Hart is the present 3rd stringer and hopefully G Horne comes along enough to fight him for the jersey.

Understood. To reiterate, Glasgow have no depth behind Pyrgos.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Oct 2016, 2:33 pm

George Carlin wrote:Why are all of our hidden gems always scrum halves?

What I wouldn't give for another couple of Andy Cramond's hiding out there. Or a gigantic loose forward with Viking heritage who was raised on Aberdeen angus rusks and a damn good thrashing every Friday night.

Agreed, and not another softie like Gilchrist or Kellock. We need a few more players on the "unhinged" end of the spectrum.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 04 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Behind Pyrgos and Price, FES. Hart is the present 3rd stringer and hopefully G Horne comes along enough to fight him for the jersey.

Understood. To reiterate, Glasgow have no depth behind Pyrgos.

To be honest HP has not really played well this year so far and AP could easily have a claim to the starting jersey. I imagine he will start this weekend and will be get the chance to make his claim.

I don't think either Hart or the Fijian have been on the park yet, which is most un Toonie like but probably shows where they lie in the pecking order.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next