The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southgate's England and the next England manager

+42
Trebs
JDizzle
Atila
BlueCoverman
Cornish Warrior
LondonTiger
westisbest
Soul Requiem
DP
Cyril
Riggs
Beer
Northender
BamBam
compelling and rich
Geordie
Samo
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
Born Slippy
alfie
dummy_half
GSC
Duty281
lfc91
88Chris05
Afro
LivinginItaly
owen10ozzy
Mad for Chelsea
wisden
superflyweight
Hero
Scott is Back
dyrewolfe
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Preacher
Crimey
nathan
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
46 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager - Page 15 Empty Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 02 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Get to close the Allardyce thread in record time, now caretaker manager Southgate has a chance to stake his claim for the job, whilst we all discuss almost anyone else as the thought of Southgate worries many.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager - Page 15 Empty Re: Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Duty281 Wed 21 Jun 2023, 12:56 pm

mountain man wrote:I disagree, Maguire usually good for England so I can understand why Southgate picks him.

Note I'm not a Man Utd fan(not a fan of any club just follow Eng).

He's only usually good because usually England are playing poor opposition.

When it comes to the step-up...losing Giroud for France's winner, making an error v Italy that led to a goal, two errors v Germany that led to goals in the Nations League, errors against Denmark where he got sent-off.

Maguire - fine when faced with Wales or Iran, hopeless when faced with France. There's a reason Ten Hag favours a left-back in Luke Shaw to play ahead of Maguire at United.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager - Page 15 Empty Re: Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by superflyweight Wed 21 Jun 2023, 1:03 pm

Double post.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 21 Jun 2023, 1:19 pm

I feel like Maguire would be considered an iconic, great player if he'd been born even a decade earlier. Unfortunately in this team he's the outlier where you can almost see the gears turning in his head when he gets the ball.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 21 Jun 2023, 1:30 pm

Maguire's never gonna live up to his price tag and it's become a bit of an anchor for his career at this point. In a competent and well organised defense he's a good player who also carries the ball well out of defense, which is why he tends to be fine in an England shirt, who lean defensively under Southgate. At United it's been somewhat less than coherent and he's become the the figurehead of that mess. Now it just seems like it's too far gone to be recoverable and a fresh start suits everyone.

I don't mind him in the squad, I'd prefer him to be a squad player than first choice at this point. I'd also point out the "experimental options" are with the U21s for the European championship rather than these two rather throwaway games. Colwill perhaps will get a look next season.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 21 Jun 2023, 1:30 pm

On the cricket thread we are debating who should play instead of Moeen, and the argument over Maguire is similar - he's proven in the past he's a not bad player, also that he probably isn't good enough at the absolute top level, but that there isn't really an obvious replacement that is an upgrade.
In other words, it's all very well saying drop Maguire, but is Mings (for example) likely to do a better job as the left side centre back? And does Mings having a good game againt Malta or North MAcedonia actually demonstrate anything? Would need to see how he performs against the likes of France to really make the judgement on whether he is an upgrade, and we simply don't play that many matches where the opponent is THAT good.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 30 Jun 2023, 10:44 pm

ill jump in on the maguire discussion, im a united fan so watched him pretty much every game for quite a while. he started ok, but hes never been comfortable playing so high up the pitch. most top sides play high up in a high press, when he was at Leicester/hull/england they have always be deep lying sides looking to just break (he had a reasonable season under ole as he played similar for abit)

but after the greece incident, then poor performances he's massively lacking confidence now. he doesn't engage the defender or try he winning the ball hes so scared of getting skinned. if england want to be a side that winning things hes not the answer, hes a mid table kind of defender at best. sit deep defending crosses into the box

compelling and rich

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 03 Jul 2023, 12:00 pm

compelling and rich wrote:ill jump in on the maguire discussion, im a united fan so watched him pretty much every game for quite a while. he started ok, but hes never been comfortable playing so high up the pitch. most top sides play high up in a high press, when he was at Leicester/hull/england they have always be deep lying sides looking to just break (he had a reasonable season under ole as he played similar for abit)

but after the greece incident, then poor performances he's massively lacking confidence now. he doesn't engage the defender or try he winning the ball hes so scared of getting skinned. if england want to be a side that winning things hes not the answer, hes a mid table kind of defender at best. sit deep defending crosses into the box

Which is fine, but the question is who do you replace him with? Do we actually have a better option, or do we accept that it's a position of relative weakness in what is otherwise coming together as a decent team?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm

Tomori is the obvious upgrade. Also there's Colwill, did well for Brighton last season and the U21s this summer, as a future option. And White at Arsenal. Guehi, at Palace, I would prefer to Maguire. I'd even rather go back to Mings than play Maguire. Could even play Shaw at centre-back and use Chilwell on the left.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 03 Jul 2023, 1:32 pm

I'm not sure that Tomori is any better - while he looks good for Milan, I think the level of Serie A is not great at the moment.

Not sure what went on with White at the WC, but there's clearly some baggage there. I agree he's a good player, but not sure he'll get back into the squad in the near term.

Guehi? There's a reason he's at Palace and not being scouted by the top teams. Good mid premier league player. Mings is in the same category (and probably where Maguire should be).

Shaw is a much better left back than central defender. Don't think it's an upgraed on Maguire and weakens the left side overall.

Which leaves Colwill, or another youngster coming through - hopefully one of them will make the grade and step into HM's boots before the Euros final.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jul 2023, 7:58 pm

England U21s win the U21 European Championship, defeating Spain 1-0 in a game full of incident. Trafford had to perform a remarkable double-save, from a penalty and then the rebound, in the final minute to secure the win. Great achievement.

Six games, six wins, eleven goals, zero conceded...pretty perfect.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 08 Jul 2023, 8:15 pm

Good to see Archer and Ramsey do well. Shame Ramsey got injured.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 31 Aug 2023, 5:31 pm

Southgate has picked Maguire, Phillips and Henderson for his latest squad. Doh

Any goodwill I had towards Southgate as a result of the World Cup is rapidly diminishing. Henderson is picking up his children's inheritance money in Saudi; while Maguire hasn't played a minute this season as far as I'm aware, after rejecting an approach from West Ham which would have seen him be a regular starter; and Phillips also hasn't played a minute for City this season.

Every indication that those three will be in the Euros squad next summer, for what is probably Southgate's last tilt at a trophy with England. On the positive side, Tomori and Colwill are in the squad. Nketiah is also in, while Sterling's England career may be over under Southgate.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 01 Sep 2023, 9:49 am

Was listening to Talk Sport Drive the other day, must have been after the squad was announced & the presenter said that in his opinion England had the best front 6 of any European nation. Also thinks it would be a huge failure if they don't win the Euro's next year.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Sep 2023, 11:45 am

Maguire stuff seems a bit over the top. Stones injured, Mings out for the season, Dier already disposed of, Coady now plays in the championship and no idea what happened with Ben White at the WC. Meanwhile Tomori, Guehi and Colwill all in the squad to stake a claim with Dunk the other experienced option.

Probably time to move on from Henderson. Phillips needs to play some games ideally, though if Rice or Bellingham pick up an injury we're pretty screwed in midfield regardless.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 12 Sep 2023, 9:42 pm

Easy win over Scotland, after a solid, but uninspiring, point v Ukraine.

Things looking very good up front ahead of the Euros, with Kane and Bellingham excelling, and a wealth of other options to play wider (Saka, Grealish, Foden, Rashford in particular). Just sort out the defence and England have a good shot at the Euros.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 12 Sep 2023, 10:00 pm

Was interested in seeing Scotland's resurgence but they were pretty poor aside from a surge either side of the goal.

Jude and Rice alongside Kane in the irreplaceable category. Touch wood they all get through this season, not really much behind them.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 04 Oct 2023, 4:41 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/04/world-cup-2030-to-be-hosted-in-spain-portugal-morocco-and-south-america

The 2030 World Cup, set to be hosted here, there and everywhere. The main crux of the tournament will be in Spain, Portugal and Morocco, however Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay will host the first three games of the tournament to honour the 100th anniversary.

F**k the fans once again. Saudi almost certain to get the 2034 World Cup, as it'll have to be hosted in Asia/Oceania, and a Saudi bid will blow anyone else out the water.

And the UK and Ireland will be hosting Euro 2028, after Turkey joined up with Italy to bid to host 2032.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 18 Oct 2023, 9:54 am

So England with a good 3-1 win at home to Italy, guaranteeing their qualification for the next Euros and no-one wants to comment?

Considering we were without our best two left backs (Shaw, Chilwell) and player of the year for the last two years (Saka), it was a thoroughly professional performance and shows that there is good strength in depth.

Played with a great deal more fluency and a little bit more direct at times than is sometimes the case - Bellingham in that AM / #10 position makes a huge difference to the team.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 17 Nov 2023, 9:14 pm

Well so far England look as if they can't be bothered, dreadful.
Maybe should have had at least one penalty if not two but so lacklustre.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 20 Nov 2023, 1:57 pm

mountain man wrote:Well so far England look as if they can't be bothered, dreadful.
Maybe should have had at least one penalty if not two but so lacklustre.

It's becoming something of a pattern - when England are good they can be very good, but they throw in quite a lot of these seriously lacklustre games against mediocre opposition. The careful, keep ball approach is OK when the opposition will come out to make a game of it, but really struggles to break through teams that have limited aspirations going forwards.

Admittedly, it should have been 3-0, as disallowing Rice's goal was quite harsh as the ball never touched Kane and he wasn't interferring with the keepers vision of the shot, but even then the lack of ambition is sometimes annoying. When we get the ball into the opposition third of the field, we need to be prepared to take a few risks - throw ins particularly bug me, with us invariably going back to the full back, then back and across to the cetre halves rather than putting the ball in the box and letting players compete for it.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 20 Nov 2023, 2:41 pm

I think it's kinda the nature of the international calendar. Too much football being played, so there's probably a method in half speed stuff trying to prevent burnout. Also not entirely sure there's much value in 90 minutes against vastly inferior opposition from a team building/tactics mindset. Probably more work done on the training ground.

International football needs cutting during the season. Bloated with pointless friendlies or mismatches when club football is ramping up
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 21 Nov 2023, 8:31 am

Well I thought Eng were poor against Malta but last night was terrible. OK referee was appalling but overall Eng were pretty dreadful.

In past I've always defended Maguire and he's usually been good for Eng but last night he was bad.

Lewis looked bright and no way was that a penalty but anyway.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 21 Nov 2023, 9:43 am

mountain man wrote:Well I thought Eng were poor against Malta but last night was terrible. OK referee was appalling but overall Eng were pretty dreadful.

In past I've always defended Maguire and he's usually been good for Eng but last night he was bad.

Lewis looked bright and no way was that a penalty but anyway.

That refereeing performance has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. Not bias, just absolute incompetence.

The pen that was given was no foul - Lewis's hand has to go somewhere, and the attacker ran into it. On the other hand, I thought Maguire was very lucky with the one earlier where he fell into the attacker.

Not sure what was wrong with VAR - Grealish was clearly off for the disallowed goal, and you could see that from the still frame - didn't need lines drawing from the defender, and certainly didn't need 3 minutes + to decide. Also, shouldn't hve been off - didn't need to push the line so much as Saka was cutting through the defenders.
I don't rate Grealish as a wide left player - too much just coming back and slowing things down. Saka sometimes the same on the other side, but at least had some positive moments cutting inside. Playing this formation with risk-averse full backs and central midfielders just results in slow and negative play.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 02 Dec 2023, 6:20 pm

Draw has been made for the Euros.

Group A: Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Switzerland
Group B: Spain, Albania, Croatia, Italy
Group C: England, Denmark, Slovenia, Serbia
Group D: France, Austria, Netherlands, play-off winner A (potentially Wales)
Group E: Belgium, Romania, Slovakia, play-off winner B
Group F: Portugal, Turkey, Czech Republic, play-off winner C

As kind a draw as England could have hoped for. Not the kindest for Scotland, however, and certainly not for Wales who will be well up against it should they qualify.

If England win their group, as they should, then the probable path is: playing a third-placed team in the last 16; the runner-up of either Group A or B in the quarters (could be Spain/Italy/Croatia, most likely one of those three), most likely France in the semis (presuming France win their group), though it could be the Dutch; and whatever's left in the final (Germany/Spain/Italy).

If England go through in second, then the probable path is: Germany in the last 16, Spain/Italy in the Quarters, Netherlands/Portugal in the semis, France in the final.

So, naturally, England winning the group is the best outcome. But it would, presuming France win their group also, put them in the same half of the draw as France, setting a collision course for a probable semi-final.

France and England look the two front-runners for the tournament, with Germany, Italy and perhaps Spain looking the most dangerous outside of that.

But England have struggled to win games against big teams at major tournaments for a longgggggg time. Can Southgate defy history and take England that little bit further, in what is likely to be his last tournament leading England?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 04 Dec 2023, 1:23 pm

Duty
Thanks for breaking down the draw - not so sure it is a great draw fr England, as the teams we seem to have had most problems with in the last 18 months have been technically sound possession-based teams who are happy to sit behind the ball in defence, which is exactly how I'd expect Slovenia and Serbia to play. Denmark may be the best opponnts on paper, but I suspect will play a style that is more suited to England's strengths.

Oddly, I actually prefer the path for finishing 2nd (obviously, it won't end up following your predictions, as these tournaments never do) - France are the one team I think we will really struggle with unless we get some better defenders - we know where we are with Maguire and Stones (especially with Henderson or Phillips in a holding position in front): good enough to beat most opposition but struggle against the really top level opponents. S for the attacking options, I'm still to be convinced we've got the optimum line-up, but at least Southgate has plenty of quality to pick from in the front 3 or 4 - assuming there are no (or at least few) injury absences, this part of the filed is in the 'good problems to have' category, and some very good players are likely to miss out.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15