The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southgate's England and the next England manager

+42
Trebs
JDizzle
Atila
BlueCoverman
Cornish Warrior
LondonTiger
westisbest
Soul Requiem
DP
Cyril
Riggs
Beer
Northender
BamBam
compelling and rich
Geordie
Samo
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
Born Slippy
alfie
dummy_half
GSC
Duty281
lfc91
88Chris05
Afro
LivinginItaly
owen10ozzy
Mad for Chelsea
wisden
superflyweight
Hero
Scott is Back
dyrewolfe
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Preacher
Crimey
nathan
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
46 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager Empty Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 02 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

Get to close the Allardyce thread in record time, now caretaker manager Southgate has a chance to stake his claim for the job, whilst we all discuss almost anyone else as the thought of Southgate worries many.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager Empty Re: Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Fernando Sun 02 Oct 2016, 8:22 pm

Southgate's England and the next England manager CtyQyiWXYAULszs

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager Empty Re: Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2016, 8:26 pm

Glen Johnson & Jesse Lingard picard

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 02 Oct 2016, 9:07 pm

Genuinely think that Wenger will take the job at the end of the season, all signs point towards it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Oct 2016, 9:41 pm

Apparently Drinkwater is injured?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 02 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

He's not good enough, injured or not.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Oct 2016, 9:47 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:He's not good enough, injured or not.

Unfortunately England is full of players not good enough at the moment so the national team will be filled drinkwater type players

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 02 Oct 2016, 10:05 pm

Forster

Walker - - Smalling - - Stones - - Bertrand

Dier - - - Henderson

Walcott - - - Alli - - - Sterling

Sturridge

That's what I'd play, but I expect:

Hart

Walker - - Stones - - Cahill - - Rose

Dier
Henderson - -  - - Rooney

Walcott  - - - - - - - - - Sterling

Vardy

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2016, 10:15 pm

Depressing stuff, looking at those two sides

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 03 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

Raheem Sterling has been replaced with Andros Townsend...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:07 am

Glen Johnson has pulled out.

Replaced with Michael Keane.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacher Tue 04 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

Well deserved for Keane.

Preacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:15 pm

England side vs Malta

Hart, Walker, Bertrand, Cahill, Stones, Henderson, Rooney (c), Alli, Walcott, Lingard, Sturridge

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

It really is time that Rooney was jettisoned.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:03 pm

He's just shown in 2 minutes he can't play in midfield.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:07 pm

Rooney, Lingard and Walcott starting

How frickin depressing is that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

Well Malta are really crap.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:12 pm

Can somebody tell Glenn Hoddle that Rooney isn't the only player on the pitch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:15 pm

It is all about Rooney though.

If anyone else was playing the way he plays in midfield he wouldn't get a start for a championship side.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

miss of the season?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:24 pm

Well that's an awful tackle.

Midfield general at work.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

Referee bottled that - should've been off
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:26 pm

Caught a bit of the ball, yellow I think. Who knows what current directive is though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

Should be a hammering now.

England poor, Malta arguably the worst side I've ever seen.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 08 Oct 2016, 6:47 pm

We're still and will continue to be Poopie.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

Ent wrote:Malta arguably the worst side I've ever seen.

and.......England aren't too far behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 08 Oct 2016, 6:54 pm

Didn't watch 2nd half, 2-0?

Scotland won 5-1 away from home...

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 08 Oct 2016, 7:13 pm

That was painful to watch.

Still a wins a win.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Oct 2016, 7:22 pm

Just awful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Oct 2016, 9:41 pm

Rooney made Walcott look like Messi. Walker made Rooney look like Messi. Absolutely awful. Shoulda picked John Flanagan at RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 09 Oct 2016, 1:54 pm

Ent wrote:Didn't watch 2nd half, 2-0?

Italy beat Malta 1-0 home and away in Euro qualies. Croatia beat them 2-0 and 1-0. Scotland were struggling at 2-1 after 60 minutes until Malta had a player sent off giving away a dubious penalty. Malta are a well-organised ultra-defensive team. The idea that England were going to rack up a cricket score is the usual ill-informed press garbage.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 09 Oct 2016, 6:00 pm

I stopped watching. It was too dull. I think it was a game to try and play some different players but Southgate did the England job like managers of years gone by.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

Born Slippy wrote:
Ent wrote:Didn't watch 2nd half, 2-0?

Italy beat Malta 1-0 home and away in Euro qualies. Croatia beat them 2-0 and 1-0. Scotland were struggling at 2-1 after 60 minutes until Malta had a player sent off giving away a dubious penalty. Malta are a well-organised ultra-defensive team. The idea that England were going to rack up a cricket score is the usual ill-informed press garbage.
Irrespective of that, England lacked any guile or creativity for the longest parts of the game. Lallana was a big miss and Alli didn't really step up to the plate like I think he should have. I'm one of the Rooney bashers and again criticism of him was justified. Giving the ball away then getting praised for winning it back FFS, long sideways passes out to Walker who did f*ck all with them once he got them. (Clyne should be first choice RB over this guy). If Rooney was such a smart player, he'd realize that Walker wasn't going to do anything with the balls he was getting and chosen another outlet. Rooney isn't smart enough to adapt to the role he now needs to take up and even if he did, there are better players already in that position. Walcott was absolute gash...again. No more time needs to be wasted on this idiot, he could have been taken of for Townsend at literally any point in the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 10 Oct 2016, 8:44 am

didnt watch the game and haven't seen anything since but just sounds like rooney was doing what he's done for the last few years. whats surprising is that people are shocked by it. he's only going to get worse sat on the bench for us (always has been a "rusty" player when not played)

perfect opportunity to get him out of the starting 11 with him not playing for club side, but highly doubt southgate has the balls to be he man to do it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

Southgate being reported as saying he's not afraid to make the big decisions...so, Tetley tea rather than PG tips.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 10 Oct 2016, 9:06 am

DAVE667 wrote:Southgate being reported as saying he's not afraid to make the big decisions...so, Tetley tea rather than PG tips.

sack him now then, has to be yorkshire tea. and thats from a Lancashirian

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 10 Oct 2016, 9:53 am

I can't see how Rooney starts tomorrow, unless Dier still isn't fit enough. I'd expect a midfield/attack of:

Dier Henderson
Lingard Alli Rashford
Sturridge

Not exactly inspiring but probably as good as we can currently manage.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:25 am

Could any of the guys hacking in the WADA database hack into the Uruguayan census database and make an amendment to show Luis Suarez's grandma was born in England?

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 10 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

Mixed feelings after the Malta game.

I thought England looked sharp and positive for the first half. Similar flaws evident as under previous managers. We tried to be too clever and too often ended up playing passes behind team mates / into empty space / straight to the opposition, trying to run / pass through a crowded midfield.

Considering Malta played 5-4-1 in an obvious effort to negate our midfield play, I thought we looked reasonably good. Again though it was annoying that the flanks were left open most of the time, yet we chose not to use them...and when we did half our crosses and passes went out of play or straight to Maltese players.

Overall i thought a 2-0 half time lead was the least we deserved and we ought to have had a couple more. Fair play to their keeper though, he pulled off some good saves. Disappointing that for all our possession and chances, only two were converted.

Second half was just an exercise in frustration as England huffed and puffed, dominating possession, but with no end product.

Thought Dele Alli was our best player. Stones and Walker also had decent games - albeit not against the most dangerous opposition. Didn't think Rooney was terrible, but certainly didn't have a notable performance. Walcott kept running into dead ends.

Sturridge, despite scoring is far too selfish and would rather run through an entire team by himself or try shots from impossible angles, than pass to a team mate. Would start with Vardy or any of our other options instead.

Somebody needs to have a word with Southgate and tell him that maybe playing down the wings might be a better idea when the opposition clearly sets out to stifle the midfield. Then again, perhaps they knew what they were doing all along...

England interim manager Gareth Southgate: "I thought first half we played well, we could and should have scored more goals. Their goalkeeper made some good saves and subconsciously I think some of our players looked after themselves physically in the second half.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2016, 1:43 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Sturridge, despite scoring is far too selfish and would rather run through an entire team by himself or try shots from impossible angles, than pass to a team mate. Would start with Vardy or any of our other options instead.
Can't play Vardy against any team that sits deep. Thought Sturridge tried to inject a bit of life into the attack and do something different, his cross for Lingard was lovely and should have been converted.

Sturridge must be frustrated playing for England when, week in week out at Liverpool, he has players whizzing around hither and thither trying to create chances for him and there's inventiveness and creativity wherever he looks. No wonder he's not content to sit and wait in the box for a ball that never looks like coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2016, 1:58 pm

Just reported in the Daily Fail that Rooney has been dropped for tomorrow's game (take that with a pinch of salt until you get official confirmation)

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 10 Oct 2016, 3:03 pm

Makes sense, he wants to put Dier back in the side, Rooney is the person that you drop from that midfield.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 10 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Sturridge, despite scoring is far too selfish and would rather run through an entire team by himself or try shots from impossible angles, than pass to a team mate. Would start with Vardy or any of our other options instead.
Can't play Vardy against any team that sits deep. Thought Sturridge tried to inject a bit of life into the attack and do something different, his cross for Lingard was lovely and should have been converted.

Sturridge must be frustrated playing for England when, week in week out at Liverpool, he has players whizzing around hither and thither trying to create chances for him and there's inventiveness and creativity wherever he looks. No wonder he's not content to sit and wait in the box for a ball that never looks like coming.

Meh - you're picking out one of just 2 or 3 good moments he had. Most of the game he was anonymous. And the fact he went hunting for the ball meant that the few times we DID get crosses into the box, there was no-one to get on the end. He was just as guilty as most of our other players of trying to bulldoze a path though the middle, when a bit of old-fashioned goal-hanging might have yielded better results, even if it meant waiting a while.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:14 pm

Carrick has about 1 cap. Henderson will captain England tomorrow

Don't ever let anyone tell you life is fair

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 10 Oct 2016, 11:14 pm

It's well deserved. Been in fantastic form this season and is the best suited person to captain in that squad. 

Michael Carrick has always been overrated, there has never been a time where he should have been in the first eleven for England.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:05 am

Rooney has two very high profiles supporters on social media, sadly, when the people spearheading your campaign are your wife and John Terry, you know you're f*cked.

Colleen spouting off that her kids had to listen to people berating her husband, which isn't nice, then mentions that it was on the radio in the car! Turn the f*cking thing off then, ya dippy tart.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:06 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Meh - you're picking out one of just 2 or 3 good moments he had. Most of the game he was anonymous. And the fact he went hunting for the ball meant that the few times we DID get crosses into the box, there was no-one to get on the end. He was just as guilty as most of our other players of trying to bulldoze a path though the middle, when a bit of old-fashioned goal-hanging might have yielded better results, even if it meant waiting a while.
With the crosses that Walker was putting in? He'd still be stood waiting now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:08 am

Michael Carrick has been one of the best passer of the ball for the last 5 years, rarely loses posession, yes he isnt flashy, and doesnt do a lot to light the world up, but he does the simple things that go un-noticed, he is in no way overated!

As for Sturridge, he was mainly anonymous the weekend, and he missed a complete sitter, but my question is, has he done enough to even earn a call-up? Players like Vardy, Rashford, Deeney etc, should all be starting ahead of him in my opinion.

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:17 am

Henderson hasn't earned that captaincy. Jesus Crimey, don't be such a stereotype

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:26 am

Who else is worthy of the armband? Hart? Cahill? Walcott? Tell you what, let's give it to Rashford, the kid can do no wrong at the minute. Henderson was rightly MOTM at the weekend and did as much as anyone to deserve the armband in lieu of Rooney being dropped. Does Hendo deserve the captaincy full time, probably not, but for a one-off match, I don't see the issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next