The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow

+12
Ché Guerrero
adamk
TwisT
NickisBHAFC
Hero
Dolphin Ziggler
dyrewolfe
JCmag82
Samo
Dr Gregory House MD
Electric Demon
Fernando
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow Empty ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow

Post by Fernando Wed 19 Oct 2016, 16:00

ITV has commissioned a one-off wrestling special to air later this year.

Commissioned by Helen Warner for ITV and produced by ITV Studios Entertainment, World Of Sport Wrestling or WOS Wrestling will see some of the UK’s top names in the sport compete in a fun-filled afternoon of family sports entertainment.

The two hour special will see some of the UK’s finest pro wrestlers including, 'The East End Butcher' Sha Samuels, Dave Mastiff and 'Viper' Kimberly Benson, compete in front of a live audience across a series of fights; from singles to tag team and eliminations. Commentary will come from America's number one wrestling commentator, Jim Ross.

Backstage, viewers will catch up with the wrestlers between fights and at the end of the show one fighter will take home the WoS Wrestling belt.

Tom Mclennan, Creative Director, ITV Studios Entertainment said: "World of Sport Wrestling was a major event for millions of families every Saturday afternoon for over 20 years. I'm excited about bringing back this iconic brand and celebrating the best British wrestlers in the country."

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow Empty Re: ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow

Post by Electric Demon Wed 19 Oct 2016, 17:27

Amazing

This could be the start of something really special in UK wrestling.

If this is popular enough when it airs then we could very well get wrestling back on mainstream tv. Which would be phenomenal.

Finger crossed

Electric Demon

Back to top Go down

ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow Empty Re: ITV World Of Sport Wrestling returns with J.R in tow

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 20 Oct 2016, 00:34

UKs finest pro wrestler Sha Samuels?

I mean I like Sha but....

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 20 Oct 2016, 08:29

If you asked me to pick two of the UK's finest wrestlers outside of WWE Sha and Mastiff wouldnt be top of my list.

Its an exciting prospect. Shows there is a market and a demand there for it. Could pave the way for ICW to get on the telly finally.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by JCmag82 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 09:07

It isn't like they are going to advertise it as 'Some UK Wrestlers who said they would be ok doing ITV family friendly wrestling and have free time in their calendar" are they?

I think it is a great chance to showcase some UK talent and if it is a success (which I think is the whole point, to see if there is a demand for it) then it could lead to a more regular showing on terrestrial tv would be a great thing for UK wrestling and see bigger names get involved. As for ICW getting on I don't think that is as much of an aim any more now that they have the deal with Fite and can be global. If it comes along then sure it would be good but I think the fact it is technically global now is a more positive step than seeing a diluted version on TV.

JCmag82

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:49

I was being facetious, and if I'm honest I think Sha is probably the sort of guy they'll be looking at for a prime time ITV audience

I can't say I'm super excited about this but it's more wrestling and a just reward for how far the euro/uk scene has come in the past few years

Hope the can get Joe Hendry on the show he seems tailor made for this sort of thing

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 20 Oct 2016, 13:05

Joe Hendry would be a great choice and if they let him do his parody entrance videos he'll get over with the general public and casual fans in an instant. Grado is another one who'll get over dead easy.

Its guys like Sha, the Coffeys and DCT who could struggle because they dont have massive stand out gimmicks, but other than Sha I dont know if those three have been signed, so who knows. Its still exciting either way.

Also, Viper is a cracking signing because with her body type she can be a good inspiration and role model for women out there who might be self conscious about their size.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 20 Oct 2016, 13:38

Nice! I'll definitely watch it if I can.

Be interesting to see what the legendary JR makes of current UK talent.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 20 Oct 2016, 13:41

Grado is interesting. I'd possibly keep him away from this

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 20 Oct 2016, 13:43

dyrewolfe wrote:Nice! I'll definitely watch it if I can.

Be interesting to see what the legendary JR makes of current UK talent.

If it's anything like his take of New Japan probably utter confusion and mild disinterest

I'd disagree Sha doesn't have a solid gimmick, he's baisically a wrestling version of Danny Dyer (I believe there's a chant to that effect)

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 20 Oct 2016, 13:43

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Grado is interesting. I'd possibly keep him away from this

You say that like he doesn't already work in TNA

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 20 Oct 2016, 13:47

Grado is arguably the most well known british wrestler to joe public because of his newspaper column and work on TV so he's automatically a draw.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 20 Oct 2016, 18:26

Samo wrote:Grado is arguably the most well known british wrestler to joe public because of his newspaper column and work on TV so he's automatically a draw.

Dont think I agree with that at all. Hes not gonna draw big numbers, is he? And hes not gonna keep non-British wrestling fans glued to the tv. I like Grado, but British wrestling is remembered for big fat guys in leotards. And its mocked in that memory.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 20 Oct 2016, 18:56

Grado is surprisingly well known amongst non wrestling fans, I agree it's not exactly flying in the face of the memory of British wrestling but neither are Sha, Mastiff or Viper

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 20 Oct 2016, 19:19

A shame really that Jack Gallagher is off to the States.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:56

They'd be a lot better putting Progress on TV.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:15

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Samo wrote:Grado is arguably the most well known british wrestler to joe public because of his newspaper column and work on TV so he's automatically a draw.

Dont think I agree with that at all. Hes not gonna draw big numbers, is he? And hes not gonna keep non-British wrestling fans glued to the tv. I like Grado, but British wrestling is remembered for big fat guys in leotards. And its mocked in that memory.

Well lets just hope the rest of the talent are in better shape and have better moves.

Think thats a rather unfair attitude, given we also have the likes of Magnus and Galloway who have been around a while. Before that we had the British Bulldogs. Going back even further, Kendo Nagasaki and Catweazle weren't fat (and didn't wear leotards either).

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:40

I know these people, but you ask the regular man,in fact if you even hear things like comics or panel shows, if they mention British wrestling its tubby hairy fellas

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:52

I'd agree with that, I would say that if you asked the average man on the street to describe British Wrestling they'd still say Big Daddy v Giant Haystacks.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:56

Mick McManus, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks have a lot to answer for! Laugh

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
I know these people, but you ask the regular man,in fact if you even hear things like comics or panel shows, if they mention British wrestling its tubby hairy fellas

A bit like Smith & Jones' darts players sketch.

Hero wrote:
I'd agree with that, I would say that if you asked the average man on the street to describe British Wrestling they'd still say Big Daddy v Giant Haystacks.

That wasn't wrestling, so much as choreographed belly-bouncing. Rolling Eyes I know those guys were popular with little old ladies and kids, but...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 21 Oct 2016, 13:10

But they were what caught on with the British population when wrestling was at it's peak viewing in the UK and therefore remain the stereotypical image.

Guarantee if you asked a layperson that's 30+ to name a British wrestler they'd say Big Daddy.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Demon Fri 21 Oct 2016, 14:15

If you ask the average man on the street to name any active wrestler, American or English, unless you are still counting the Undertaker they would struggle. So no British name is going to have any resonance whatsoever beyond people who are already wrestling fans (or ex wrestling fans who have lost their way) who will likely be watching already.

The hope is that this is in a sufficiently well placed position in the schedules for those non-wrestling fans to stumble upon and take an interest in. And in enough of a number to justify further programming.

Electric Demon

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 14:39

Won't ever beat Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura presenting WCW on a Sunday afternoon on ITV. Very Happy

Any idea where it is going to be held? Butlins in Minehead?

Would love it if it caught on but most people have Sky or the equivalent nowadays, so the "families" (especially the kids) will be put off if it is naff. Not like the days of going round your mates house to watch it or buying the VHS cassettes of PPV's in Woolworths!

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Sat 22 Oct 2016, 19:02

its being held at itv studios in Salford... a mate of mine won tickets so we are going

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:25

Could they get Will Ospreay for the show?

His style would go over with mainstream viewers very easily

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 24 Oct 2016, 12:51

Ché Guerrero wrote:Could they get Will Ospreay for the show?

His style would go over with mainstream viewers very easily

I think BBC have the rights to the gymnastics Run

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Oct 2016, 12:52

Hero wrote:But they were what caught on with the British population when wrestling was at it's peak viewing in the UK and therefore remain the stereotypical image.

Guarantee if you asked a layperson that's 30+ to name a British wrestler they'd say Big Daddy.

Or Shirley Crabtree, if they were being clever. Wink Still, its a shame (not to mention a bit strange) given there were so many others around at the time.

Cassius Zhi wrote:
If you ask the average man on the street to name any active wrestler, American or English, unless you are still counting the Undertaker they would struggle. So no British name is going to have any resonance whatsoever beyond people who are already wrestling fans (or ex wrestling fans who have lost their way) who will likely be watching already.

The hope is that this is in a sufficiently well placed position in the schedules for those non-wrestling fans to stumble upon and take an interest in. And in enough of a number to justify further programming.

I do have some hopes for this as there is a growing grassroots wrestling scene in the UK. Its pretty common where I live (near Huntingdon) to see flyers for various wrestling promotions / events stuck on signposts, bus shelters, walls and shop windows.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 24 Oct 2016, 14:43

I daresay we may have bumped into each other, although I don't rush into Huntingdon often! TWO Boro fans in Cambridgeshire now, its getting a bit much Wink

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Wed 26 Oct 2016, 02:24

I doubt we'll see anything like Ospreay, Scurll or ZSJr, they're well beyond this

Even Dunne and Haskins would be pushing it if their careers take off post BOLA, I'd also wager those under contract to TNA would be prohibited from taking part, still it's a great opportunity for those who haven't had there's yet, I'm looking mainly at the Scottish/ICW guys who I think have struggled to get eyes on them as they don't have the work rate aura the likes of Progress/RPW have for there talent

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 26 Oct 2016, 21:35

This is such a dumb idea.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 27 Oct 2016, 15:52

I was listening to something the other day, something Gav does (some might say "an old friend") that was really interesting on it. Sure he wont mind me posting it here

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 27 Oct 2016, 18:26

NickisBHAFC wrote:This is such a dumb idea.

Why? It's a great opportunity for guys gain exposure and if it catches on another place for them to make money

The WoS branding is also handy as it'll create more buzz and draw more eyeballs than *insert company here*, getting a TV spot

I know you like Progress, I do to, but Jim, John and Glenn all work full time and have stated they're maxed out in terms of time they would devote to Progress, so running it as a weekly TV just wouldn't work, more places to work and gain exposure is never a bad thing in wrestling and a national TV platform is no more than the scene deserves after the renessience it has had of late

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 31 Oct 2016, 07:54

ITV need to hire this team.

Took the kids to some bottom end local wrestling yesterday, this team were in the 6 man main event.

https://youtu.be/9d3tju4AJAM

Their only YouTube video has Mr Motivator on it and yes that is their entrance music.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 01 Nov 2016, 22:16

Someone f**ked up

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMR2b6lhYsW/

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 01 Nov 2016, 22:36

I've been to a few TV filming events at Media city and they all said in the T&Cs that they overbook.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 02 Nov 2016, 08:57

Happened to me a few years back for a Harry Hill's TV Burp taping. They do it to guarantee a full studio.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 02 Nov 2016, 09:06

Taping results to be aired New Years Eve

Spoiler:

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 02 Nov 2016, 09:28

Spoiler:

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 02 Nov 2016, 12:53

Marky wrote:Happened to me a few years back for a Harry Hill's TV Burp taping. They do it to guarantee a full studio.

Do you get a refund if you don't get in?

Hero wrote:
Spoiler:

To be fair there is no comparison, either size or style wise.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 02 Nov 2016, 13:02

dyrewolfe wrote:
Marky wrote:Happened to me a few years back for a Harry Hill's TV Burp taping. They do it to guarantee a full studio.

TV show tapings are free.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 02 Nov 2016, 16:12

Crimey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

TV show tapings are free.

All I got by way of compensation was priority entry for next time. There never was a next time.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 02 Nov 2016, 16:28

When I went to the 8 out of 10 does Countdown taping the other week the priority queue had about 100 people in it. We were right near the front of the normal queue but were worried we still wouldn't get in.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:30

That would suck indeed if you couldn't get your Rachel Riley fix. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:37

God she was fit as.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Nov 2016, 13:01

Hero. Age: 40. wrote:God she was fit as.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 03 Nov 2016, 13:20

Dolphin Ziggler. Lives alone. Has multiple cats. Age: 27. wrote:

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 03 Nov 2016, 14:43

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Laugh

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 03 Nov 2016, 14:53

Aren't TV studios the place where older guys perv over young ladies?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:46

Fernando wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler. Lives alone. Has multiple cats. Age: 27. wrote:

laughing Ouch! Someone call the burn unit!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:17

Hero wrote:Aren't TV studios the place where older guys perv over young ladies?

BBC studios

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next