The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

+51
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
Derbymanc
catchweight
BoxingFan88
Mad for Chelsea
Kareem61
Dylan1979
djlovesyou
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
qc2
lfc91
aja424
hogey
AZZJ44
rapidringsroad
Volcanicash
kingraf
wheelchair1991
mikeymax71
Lance
Dipper Brown
JabMachineMK2
Guest82
ShahenshahG
owen10ozzy
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
Haito
Valero's Conscience
Inventing Johnson Klute
TRUSSMAN66
Coxy001
Basset
Baby faced assassin
EX7EY
Rowley
Qoxiivi
melv500
sittingringside
88Chris05
Mochyn du
compelling and rich
horizontalhero
Jermaine2015
Herman Jaeger
Pedro147
Rodney
bhb001
Mr Bounce
55 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 9 Empty Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Nov 2016, 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

I can’t let a fight as big as this weekend pass without a thread asking for folks thoughts. For me this is one of those odd fights that I am looking forward to enormously but suspect might well fail to ignite. I suspect intriguing rather than exciting may accurately describe it. Got to say since this has been announced I have been picking Ward. I rate both of them highly but just think Ward is a special talent, a lot more rounded and like Mayweather one with an exceptional ability to shut opponents down and neutralise them.

That being said Kovalev is no underdog or no hoper, this is a genuinely close fight, and one in which you can make an argument either way. Whilst people rightly wax lyrical about Kovalev’s power his boxing ability should not be underplayed, few since Jones have solved the numerous riddles Hopkins poses so effectively. Also he is a natural big hitting light heavy, something Ward has never faced, whilst his defence has always looked solid at super middle he is not completely unhittable. Froch had his moments where he was able to land, so one would assume Sergey will be able to do likewise. How Ward stands up to that is one of the big questions in this one.

Also whilst Ward is hardly an old man his career post Super six has had more stops and starts than me attempting to run a marathon. Being in the ring with Kovalev would not be a place I would want to be blowing off a dose of ring rust. Despite that, I still think Ward will be victorious, he is smart at tying up/holding on the inside and fast enough that he will score with plenty when the fight is at range. If the ref is pretty easy going when it comes to his holding inside, and thus far he has tended to get away with it, I think he will secure the win on points.

All of this almost certainly guarantees you can put your house on Kovalev, but irrespective of the outcome I cannot wait for this fight. A genuine talent moving up to take on the best the division above him has to offer, this is the sort of fight the sport needs more of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 9 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by EX7EY Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:29 pm

Derbymanc wrote:I actually took it as more that Kov was walking in a straight line and Ward just stepped out of the way and out of trouble

Well yes, that was basically the case IMO to. I think cutting the ring off also means pinning your oppenent down into a tight spot so you can get a stable attack off, not just chasing them round the ring better. You can't expect to be able to box at range and launch solid attacks from the centre of the ring and expect somebody like Ward to just stand there and engage, if there's room - you move!

This is what gets me about people insisting on fighters moving up in weight in order to achieve greatness. You can't expect smaller fighters to go up in weight classes and stand there in range trading punches with bigger opponents. If i fought somebody bigger, I would move my a$$ as much as they allowed me to!

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 9 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:30 pm

I wouldn't.

Be a dull 12 round decision win for Ward. GGG's lack of size and low calibre resume would be his undoing.

He has fought nobody. His record is trash!

He is meant to have knocked down/out Sergey in Sparring years ago. That could be true, but while one guy has been fighting good competition, the other has been fighting duds. Most likely Kovalev has come on leaps since then.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:33 pm

Kov puts Ward on his shorts Golovkin lays him out lol

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:36 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Kov puts Ward on his shorts Golovkin lays him out lol

His best win is Brook. I doubt Ward would be worried about that bum. GGG is thanking his lucky stars, there are no good boxers in his division. Heavyweights have better talent!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:37 pm

Ward would have a easier time with GGG then Kovalev.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:38 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

All stirring aside, I agree fully! Would be relatively easy after a tough couple rounds.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:38 pm

I doubt Golovkin troubles Ward.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:42 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

That's that then no point in them fighting

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:42 pm

No I still want to see GGG lose ! lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:52 pm

They were good body shots by Ward no doubt and maybe they had an impact Ward definitely evened the fight out the second half but did he take control at any point? I think not

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 22 Nov 2016, 2:53 pm

Golovkin did put kovalev down with a body shot in sparring. Kovalev admitted that. Abel Sanchez reckons kovalev had a psychological problem with golovkin and was scared of him. Who knows, kovalev has definitely improved since then and is the naturally bigger man.

Golovkin cuts the ring off better than kovalev and would keep coming. Fight depends on whether Ward hits hard enough to keep him honest. Ward would be the bigger man so he might be able to jab and wrestle to a decision.. i.e. A non-contentious decision. Wouldn't bet my house on it but size/style wise, I'd agree golovkin probably suits him more than kovalev.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:19 pm

Milky, I'll ask you this as no one else is replying- do you think Ward, at any point in the fight, took control of the action to the extent where you really felt Sergy was under some kind of pressure?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:24 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Milky, I'll ask you this as no one else is replying- do you think Ward, at any point in the fight, took control of the action to the extent where you really felt Sergy was under some kind of pressure?

He won every round after the 4th!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

I don't think Golovkin would match up well with Ward - Andre would be able to wrap him up a lot better than he could Kovalev. I imagine the fight would be similar to the last six rounds of Saturday's bout - with Golovkin going away unmarked, feeling hard done to and without any belts to help him force people into fighting him. If he could land one flush (as Kovalev did, though, I think he'd be able to turn his shots over a lot better than Kovalev) then who knows? The shot that dropped Ward wasn't delivered with the knuckle part of the glove. Had it been, Ward may not have recovered.

Golovkin vs Kovalev - now that's a fight. That would be a tremendous battle. Who wouldn't want to see that one?

Last edited by hazharrison on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm

I would love to see. Easy, easy win for the bigger Kov.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm

AdamT wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Milky, I'll ask you this as no one else is replying- do you think Ward, at any point in the fight, took control of the action to the extent where you really felt Sergy was under some kind of pressure?

He won every round after the 4th!

Lol bottom line Kovalev was never under any sustained pressure the entirety of the fight

Can't deny it..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:33 pm

AdamT wrote:I would love to see. Easy, easy win for the bigger Kov.

I don't think anyone has an easy night with Golovkin. He's a little monster. I could see him getting in on Kovalev, with the Russian bombing him from range. It would be carnage.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:39 pm

Based on what? Beating Brook, Geale and Macklin.

Jury is still out for me. He is very basic with heavy hands.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:40 pm

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:I would love to see. Easy, easy win for the bigger Kov.

I don't think anyone has an easy night with Golovkin. He's a little monster. I could see him getting in on Kovalev, with the Russian bombing him from range. It would be carnage.

The Russian would drill a hole in his head. Never listen to what your gf/wife says. Sometimes size matters! Wink

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:41 pm

Golovkin can generate unholy power Ward would struggle big time it's a fight I'd love to see can't rule out Golovkin cracking Ward's chin he's just as explosive as Sergy maybe even hits a little harder and that little bit cleaner too can't rule out a Ward masterclass either I guess truth be told don't know who'd win that one don't think you can dismiss Golovkin's chances with any real confidence he hits like an atomic bomb

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:43 pm

GGG only looks super powerful fighting cans or smaller men. Tyson looked indestructible against bums as well.

Bruno also. GGG is very lucky, his division is dire. If a Mayweather or Pacquiao type talent was at 160, he would of been beat ages ago.

He is very lucky, similar to Wlad.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:47 pm

AdamT wrote:GGG only looks super powerful fighting cans or smaller men. Tyson looked indestructible against bums as well.

Bruno also. GGG is very lucky, his division is dire. If a Mayweather or Pacquiao type talent was at 160, he would of been beat ages ago.

He is very lucky, similar to Wlad.

Pinklon Thomas?

Tyson destroyed a very good man there

Can't deny Tyson had chilling power surely..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:55 pm

Tyson destroyed loads of good men. On about his ko run early in his career.

Can't compare GGG to Tyson. It's like comparing a sh11ty Peugeot to a classic Ferrari.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:55 pm

Nope, never thought he was in complete control. Thought he looked comfortable from around the 5th. He's not the type of fighter to put anyone under 'pressure' in the typical sense. Just emotional pressure I guess from the frustration of not being able to execute your plan against him. I think he frustrated kovalev but never to the point where kovalev was panicked out of his comfort zone. He was nicking rounds not dominating them.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:58 pm

AdamT wrote:Tyson destroyed loads of good men. On about his ko run early in his career.

Can't compare GGG to Tyson. It's like comparing a sh11ty Peugeot to a classic Ferrari.

Hardest hitting middleweight since Ketchel surely..

Though I stand to be corrected on that

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm

AdamT wrote:Based on what? Beating Brook, Geale and Macklin.

I don't mean to start an argument, but screw it

GGG is highly skilled, either you are trolling or blind

Do you know what Shifting is?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Based on what? Beating Brook, Geale and Macklin.

I don't mean to start an argument, but screw it

GGG is highly skilled, either you are trolling or blind

Do you know what Shifting is?

Who has he fought??

I was going through his record. It is terrible. He has decent skills and good power. Looks great against sh1t fighters.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm

milkyboy wrote:

Nope, never thought he was in complete control. Thought he looked comfortable from around the 5th. He's not the type of fighter to put anyone under 'pressure' in the typical sense. Just emotional pressure I guess from the frustration of not being able to execute your plan against him. I think he frustrated kovalev but never to the point where kovalev was panicked out of his comfort zone. He was nicking rounds not dominating them.

Nice post milky, who did you think got the better of the inside stuff I saw it as a bit of a stalemate ?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:06 pm

A new education for you

You may have seen shifting because Pirog did it when he knocked jacobs out

Its a high level skill that is rarely seen these days

Its basically switching your lead foot depending on the punch you use, its not the same as switch hitting, this is a SEAMLESS transition and it isn't always accompanied with punching, but usually is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijD09_O8ek&t=6s

GGG has no skill doh

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:07 pm

What are you talking about? I don't care what sh1t he does, until he fights someone decent.

Froch is right. #foughtnobody!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:12 pm

Troll Level Expert

laughing

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:14 pm

I'm not trolling. The guy is massively overrated.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:14 pm

Nice trolling Adam

Everyone ignore Adam from now on anything he says about Golovkin lol

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm

You guys are the trolls. You boys can't take anything said about your hero.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:22 pm

AdamT wrote:You guys are the trolls. You boys can't take anything said about your hero.

Not my hero at all, just recognise a great hitter they don't often come along recognise also half his division running from him

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:23 pm

But you provide no argument whatsoever

You said GGG has no skill, I provided you some learning material and there is plenty of that

Yeah its not against the greatest competition, but the greatest competition are running scared

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:28 pm

I said he looks skillful against dire fighters.

Boxing88 I don't need to learn nothing. Don't get on your high horse kid. You thought slow motion videos are real and Manny beat Floyd. You could learn a trick or two yourself. Cool

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:28 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

Nice post milky, who did you think got the better of the inside stuff I saw it as a bit of a stalemate ?

Ward got a few shots off on the break, but not a lot in it. Think Ward was more interesting in wearing him out with the wrestling.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:33 pm

Very strong Ward but we've always known that

More than held his own with the naturally bigger man

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:49 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Very strong Ward but we've always known that

More than held his own with the naturally bigger man

I was surprised that he managed to maintain that wrestling with a bigger man as well

in the end it tired Kovalev out more than it did Ward

Also remember that Ward was blowing hard at the end of the super six final

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:59 pm

Probably true it tired  Kovalev more Ward really is very strong

I was impressed with how Sergy dealt with Ward too on the inside tied him up beautifully took that dirty left arm out and didn't allow Ward's usual hitting on the break

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 22 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

AdamT wrote:I said he looks skillful against dire fighters.

Boxing88 I don't need to learn nothing. Don't get on your high horse kid. You thought slow motion videos are real and Manny beat Floyd. You could learn a trick or two yourself. Cool  

Careful Adam Truss, slipping into Truss a bit there...kid...

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 22 Nov 2016, 8:51 pm

Oh I thought I was on my alias when I typed that. Sorry!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 22 Nov 2016, 9:58 pm

Jog on

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 23 Nov 2016, 9:15 am

Watched it again this morning on a different angle from inside the arena

Very questionable decision to put it mildly

It rankles as we should be saluting a new star of boxing today in Sergy Kovalev

Kovalev really should be moving on from this, a close but clear win the first fight not really good enough to warrant a rematch

Want to see Kovalev v Stevenson and then Kovalev v Beterbiev would also love to see Beterbiev v Stevenson while Kovalev and Ward fight their rematch but we all know Stevenson wouldn't take that fight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Nov 2016, 9:31 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Watched it again this morning on a different angle from inside the arena

Very questionable decision to put it mildly

It rankles as we should be saluting a new star of boxing today in Sergy Kovalev

Kovalev really should be moving on from this, a close but clear win the first fight not really good enough to warrant a rematch

Want to see Kovalev v Stevenson and then Kovalev v Beterbiev would also love to see Beterbiev v Stevenson while Kovalev and Ward fight their rematch but we all know Stevenson wouldn't take that fight

You really are taking this bad, aren't you??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 23 Nov 2016, 9:43 am

Does it come across that way I hope not overly so?

The division should be moving on now there's a hold up while they fight their rematch(Ward can't duck) it's just a nuisance and spoils the excitement a bit

Kovalev wins the return easier

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Nov 2016, 9:48 am

Just a bit. It's a bad decision (in your eyes and some others), but it's done.

I think a rematch has to happen. I think Ward would probably want a chance to prove he is better.

Mayweather gave rematches to Castillo and Maidana, I guess Ward will do the same.

Can't mention Ward and duck in the same sentence Herman. He has always stepped up to the plate. He won't duck Sergey.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

Also you mention Kov wins next time easier?

He didn't win the first time. Also he hurt his man early, but got worse as the fight wore on.

He had his chance and blew it. Ward will have his measure from the opening round next time.

I was wrong about how the fight played out this time. But Ward will start off a lot better next time.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:01 am

You watched a rerun from inside the arena yet Adam without the pro Ward commentary?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next