The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

+51
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
Derbymanc
catchweight
BoxingFan88
Mad for Chelsea
Kareem61
Dylan1979
djlovesyou
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
qc2
lfc91
aja424
hogey
AZZJ44
rapidringsroad
Volcanicash
kingraf
wheelchair1991
mikeymax71
Lance
Dipper Brown
JabMachineMK2
Guest82
ShahenshahG
owen10ozzy
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
Haito
Valero's Conscience
Inventing Johnson Klute
TRUSSMAN66
Coxy001
Basset
Baby faced assassin
EX7EY
Rowley
Qoxiivi
melv500
sittingringside
88Chris05
Mochyn du
compelling and rich
horizontalhero
Jermaine2015
Herman Jaeger
Pedro147
Rodney
bhb001
Mr Bounce
55 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 16 Empty Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Nov 2016, 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

I can’t let a fight as big as this weekend pass without a thread asking for folks thoughts. For me this is one of those odd fights that I am looking forward to enormously but suspect might well fail to ignite. I suspect intriguing rather than exciting may accurately describe it. Got to say since this has been announced I have been picking Ward. I rate both of them highly but just think Ward is a special talent, a lot more rounded and like Mayweather one with an exceptional ability to shut opponents down and neutralise them.

That being said Kovalev is no underdog or no hoper, this is a genuinely close fight, and one in which you can make an argument either way. Whilst people rightly wax lyrical about Kovalev’s power his boxing ability should not be underplayed, few since Jones have solved the numerous riddles Hopkins poses so effectively. Also he is a natural big hitting light heavy, something Ward has never faced, whilst his defence has always looked solid at super middle he is not completely unhittable. Froch had his moments where he was able to land, so one would assume Sergey will be able to do likewise. How Ward stands up to that is one of the big questions in this one.

Also whilst Ward is hardly an old man his career post Super six has had more stops and starts than me attempting to run a marathon. Being in the ring with Kovalev would not be a place I would want to be blowing off a dose of ring rust. Despite that, I still think Ward will be victorious, he is smart at tying up/holding on the inside and fast enough that he will score with plenty when the fight is at range. If the ref is pretty easy going when it comes to his holding inside, and thus far he has tended to get away with it, I think he will secure the win on points.

All of this almost certainly guarantees you can put your house on Kovalev, but irrespective of the outcome I cannot wait for this fight. A genuine talent moving up to take on the best the division above him has to offer, this is the sort of fight the sport needs more of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 16 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

You can't score a fight then Dylan, Froch won 5, 11 and 12 that was it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 16 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Rowley Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:05 pm

So many fully trained and qualified judges on here. None of us have any training, professional experience or qualifications in scoring fights, we're all enthusiastic amateurs at best.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:45 pm

Dylan1979 wrote:I had Ward beating Froch 7-5

Even Froch knows he lost lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:47 pm

I scored a narrow win for  kovalev. I felt there were a number of swing rounds, which I probably edged more of to Ward. If I hadn't tried to split them and just shared those rounds I'd have had it a little wider for kov.. which I guess is the consensus.

But, I can see a spread that would have someone scoring for Ward if they just preferred his work in those swing rounds. It's not bent, it's not even incompetent, it's opinion.

And you don't have to be a Ward fan to come to that conclusion. You may have left school Dylan but these fanboy comments because someone disagrees with your score is playground stuff.

There are some fights where the rounds are easy to score, and 115-113 is close but there can only be one winner. Some fights you can have a huge spread of cards but can see why.

De la Hoya has been brought up. De la Hoya Trinidad was a controversial fight where the significant majority of press and fans thought the wrong guy got the nod. I'm not after a rise either, haz, but from memory you think Trinidad won. You're not alone, but it's the minority view. Presumably, you think there were swing rounds that most gave to Oscar and you gave to Trinidad (presumably the first 4 rounds?) From a scoring perspective how is that different to this?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm

AdamT wrote:

No. it didn't count as a loss because ward ran away and didn't want to fight. Kessler loss doesn't count either because it was avenged.

The imassive international superstar retired undefeated.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:00 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You can't score a fight then Dylan, Froch won 5, 11 and 12 that was it.

Two judges had it 115-113

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:42 pm

milkyboy wrote:
AdamT wrote:

No. it didn't count as a loss because ward ran away and didn't want to fight. Kessler loss doesn't count either because it was avenged.

The imassive international superstar retired undefeated.

Don't forget the jetlag, milky.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:48 pm

Dylan1979 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:You can't score a fight then Dylan, Froch won 5, 11 and 12 that was it.

Ah right, so we should respect and accept judges' scorecards as legitimate, then? Thanks for clearing that up, Dylan. Makes me wonder why you've spend the entirety of last week arguing the complete opposite, mind you, but thanks for clearing it up anyway. Wink
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:10 am

Ward only wins on points If he gets an American ref again

If it's neutral he gets dqed or koed

Man you have got to study him as a fighter you clearly just don't see it

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan1979 Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:34 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Dylan1979 wrote:

Ah right, so we should respect and accept judges' scorecards as legitimate, then? Thanks for clearing that up, Dylan. Makes me wonder why you've spend the entirety of last week arguing the complete opposite, mind you, but thanks for clearing it up anyway. Wink

Did I say that judges are paid in every single fight that takes place?

Dylan1979

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:38 am

Judges turn in questionable scoring all the time in boxing. I mean all the time. Not just overall verdicts, but individual rounds. I find that in big fights which are widely covered, if the general concensus is significantly different to the official verdict, its a sign the scores were off. This particular fight is an example, but there are tons of others.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:51 am

Dylan1979 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Dylan1979 wrote:

Did I say that judges are paid in every single fight that takes place?

No, only in the ones where you don't agree with the verdict. You got me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Nov 2016, 7:43 am

milkyboy wrote:I scored a narrow win for  kovalev. I felt there were a number of swing rounds, which I probably edged more of to Ward. If I hadn't tried to split them and just shared those rounds I'd have had it a little wider for kov.. which I guess is the consensus.

But, I can see a spread that would have someone scoring for Ward if they just preferred his work in those swing rounds. It's not bent, it's not even incompetent, it's opinion.

And you don't have to be a Ward fan to come to that conclusion. You may have left school Dylan but these fanboy comments because someone disagrees with your score is playground stuff.

There are some fights where the rounds are easy to score, and 115-113 is close but there can only be one winner. Some fights you can have a huge spread of cards but can see why.

De la Hoya has been brought up. De la Hoya Trinidad was a controversial fight where the significant majority of press and fans thought the wrong guy got the nod. I'm not after a rise either, haz, but from memory you think Trinidad won. You're not alone, but it's the minority view. Presumably, you think there were swing rounds that most gave to Oscar and you gave to Trinidad (presumably the first 4 rounds?) From a scoring perspective how is that different to this?

I was a huge Trinidad fan and hold my hands up - that may have swayed me his way in some of the close rounds. I wanted Tito to win that fight so badly, it would be very hard to have remained completely impartial (you wouldn't have had me on the judging panel, that's for sure). I think very obviously, Ward fans (and I'm not saying everyone who scored for Ward had the same issue, but some) had the same quandary here.

That fight was also a fight of two halves, but while Oscar won most of the early rounds, Tito won most of the late ones. And the only swing rounds (from memory) were early and in mid-fight (Oscar just gave up the last four).

Whereas that was a fight where it seemed no one deserved to win (both men disappointed and didn't show up for long spells) I think Kovalev-Ward was much easier to score and there was a clear winner. Press scores may have favoured Oscar (I don't recall the split) but they were all one or two point decisions one way or another (Lederman scored it 114-114).

To score for Ward, you really had to give him everything you possibly could and with a knockdown against him, I find that impossible. While a few people managed to give him a one point win, there were others (good judges) who had it wide for the Russian (Lederman scored it 116-111, for example).

My Tito score was in the minority, no doubt. And while I'd happily argue his case, my view is that neither man was a true winner that night. Their reputations took a knock, so appalling was the fight. Takes some doing that.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 29 Nov 2016, 9:12 am

Rowley wrote:So many fully trained and qualified judges on here. None of us have any training, professional experience or qualifications in scoring fights, we're all enthusiastic amateurs at best.

How did you have it Rowls? and what were your reasons for it. Also as the resident expert round here (seriously btw) what were your thoughts on the fight and the whole shenanigans afterwards with people shouting robbery?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Nov 2016, 10:03 am

hazharrison wrote:
milkyboy wrote:I scored a narrow win for  kovalev. I felt there were a number of swing rounds, which I probably edged more of to Ward. If I hadn't tried to split them and just shared those rounds I'd have had it a little wider for kov.. which I guess is the consensus.

I was a huge Trinidad fan and hold my hands up - that may have swayed me his way in some of the close rounds. I wanted Tito to win that fight so badly, it would be very hard to have remained completely impartial (you wouldn't have had me on the judging panel, that's for sure). I think very obviously, Ward fans (and I'm not saying everyone who scored for Ward had the same issue, but some) had the same quandary here.

That fight was also a fight of two halves, but while Oscar won most of the early rounds, Tito won most of the late ones. And the only swing rounds (from memory) were early and in mid-fight (Oscar just gave up the last four).

Whereas that was a fight where it seemed no one deserved to win (both men disappointed and didn't show up for long spells) I think Kovalev-Ward was much easier to score and there was a clear winner. Press scores may have favoured Oscar (I don't recall the split) but they were all one or two point decisions one way or another (Lederman scored it 114-114).

To score for Ward, you really had to give him everything you possibly could and with a knockdown against him, I find that impossible. While a few people managed to give him a one point win, there were others (good judges) who had it wide for the Russian (Lederman scored it 116-111, for example).

My Tito score was in the minority, no doubt. And while I'd happily argue his case, my view is that neither man was a true winner that night. Their reputations took a knock, so appalling was the fight. Takes some doing that.

Fair enough if that's how you see it. Oscar blotted his copy book in the last 3 rounds, no doubt. Trinidad, to be fair just couldn't deal with oscar's movement, it's not like he wasn't trying, he just couldn't get off. Oscar chose to make it a chess match. I think the press cards were 70:30ish, internet polls a bit wider.

I like lederman, he's a straight talker, but he scored round 5 to Trinidad, which takes some doing.. none of the three judges did. I felt you could make a case for Trinidad, but you had to give him all the benefit of doubt... which is where I see the similarities.

I wouldn't advocate Compubox as a guide for Oscar/Tito as a lot of oscars jabs were flicks, but it was a landslide for him. In Ward kovalev where clean jabs were probably the only currency I think the stats are a reasonable guide... and they paint a tight fight, in kovalev's favour.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Nov 2016, 10:24 am

Derbymanc wrote:
Rowley wrote:So many fully trained and qualified judges on here. None of us have any training, professional experience or qualifications in scoring fights, we're all enthusiastic amateurs at best.

How did you have it Rowls? and what were your reasons for it. Also as the resident expert round here (seriously btw) what were your thoughts on the fight and the whole shenanigans afterwards with people shouting robbery?

what type of resident is rowley an expert on? psychiatric hospital perhaps? Handy as a mod on here.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 29 Nov 2016, 10:29 am

if he can keep us lot in shape and get us agreeing sometimes he must be some kind of expert

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2016, 12:22 pm

I had it by Kovalev by a point if memory serves, however can't get too het up about it. Plenty of people whose opinions I respect enormously had it the other way and there was so little action particularly in the second half of the fight for most rounds you could come up with pretty much any outcome you saw fit. There weren't more than two or three rounds that were categorically in one fighters favour. I think Kovalev can feel hard done to, but not cheated or robbed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 29 Nov 2016, 5:20 pm

Rowley wrote:I had it by Kovalev by a point if memory serves, however can't get too het up about it. Plenty of people whose opinions I respect enormously had it the other way and there was so little action particularly in the second half of the fight for most rounds you could come up with pretty much any outcome you saw fit. There weren't more than two or three rounds that were categorically in one fighters favour. I think Kovalev can feel hard done to, but not cheated or robbed.

I think that's a considered, balanced opinion I expect to see in a genuine "could have gone either way" type fight - an antidote the the more reactionary "he wuz robbed" cries that litter social media.

This just wasn't one of those fights. Kovalev won more clearly than Frampton did over LSC. Would people have been outraged if LSC had been given that one?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Nov 2016, 5:25 pm

No I wouldn't and I'm a Frampton fan. I think he should of won, but it was very tight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 29 Nov 2016, 5:37 pm

I thought the fight was close and competitive, but clear win for kovalev all the same. Its attracting so much debate because most think kovalev won. The crowd booing the decision, 75% of the media scoring for tge russian etc. If kovalev got the decision, i think there would be less controversy on it.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Nov 2016, 5:50 pm

Well the 25% are allowed their voice. I happily admit I'm not in the majority and my opinion matters no more Than anyone else's, but I think and always will think that Ward won.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 29 Nov 2016, 5:51 pm

Maybe the Sky commentary influenced you Adam?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 29 Nov 2016, 5:53 pm

Naw mate, not at all. I gave him 7 close rounds. I'm not saying I'm right, it is what I saw.

I'm not a judge, so it doesn't mean I'm right.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2016, 6:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Rowley wrote:I had it by Kovalev by a point if memory serves, however can't get too het up about it. Plenty of people whose opinions I respect enormously had it the other way and there was so little action particularly in the second half of the fight for most rounds you could come up with pretty much any outcome you saw fit. There weren't more than two or three rounds that were categorically in one fighters favour. I think Kovalev can feel hard done to, but not cheated or robbed.

I think that's a considered, balanced opinion I expect to see in a genuine "could have gone either way" type fight - an antidote the the more reactionary "he wuz robbed" cries that litter social media.

This just wasn't one of those fights. Kovalev won more clearly than Frampton did over LSC. Would people have been outraged if LSC had been given that one?

Sorry for getting it wrong.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:05 am

Surely there's a contract in place, surely the rematch has to happen next, surely there's no way Ward and Hunter can get out of this?:

http://www.boxingscene.com/freddie-roach-not-convinced-ward-kovalev-rematch-happen--111310

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:24 am

Ward has to rematch him or they'll be a lot of peed off people, not just the ones that thought Kov won but from those that have stuck up for Ward stating he won.

For me personally (I seem to use that a lot lately???) it'll be a bit of a kick in the teeth if he doesn't and maybe shows he's a lot more worried about Kov than he's let on

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:38 am

https://youtu.be/xJj67eE2JN8

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 21 Dec 2016, 2:33 pm

Ward not serious about retirement imo saw a video other day in one sentence he said he was thinking about retirement in the next was saying how he feels he's got a lot more to offer the game just getting greedy that's all let's hope they can sort out the rematch soon Duva said the first available date is April and her man's up for it right then:

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-if-ward-retires-everyone-realize-he-coward--111980

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:31 am

Pretty much accomplished everything he's wanted to accomplish?

Do me a favour he hasn't accomplished proving he's a better fighter than Sergy Kovalev most people believe the Russian won their fight:

http://www.boxingscene.com/andre-ward-i-fight-anymore-i-accomplished-everything--112359

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:56 am

Its probably a negotiating tactic most likely, I don't pay attention to it

Had fans on reddit who are American saying they find it very very difficult to like Ward, who is an Olympic Gold Medalist and a p4p fighter at the top end of the scale

But some of the things he does just really annoy them

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 9:10 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Pretty much accomplished everything he's wanted to accomplish?

Do me a favour he hasn't accomplished proving he's a better fighter than Sergy Kovalev most people believe the Russian won their fight:

http://www.boxingscene.com/andre-ward-i-fight-anymore-i-accomplished-everything--112359

Have more respect for a modern day great.......He cleaned up 168 and beat the two number 1 men at 175....

By all means think Kovalev won..........But endlessly abusing a guy that has been there and got the T-shirt whilst eulogizing over a guy who's best win is Nathan Cleverley..

Makes you look a wally..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:51 pm

Beat the two number one men at 175 surprised you don't think Stevenson is number one wouldn't put it past you if you do think that not the most logical member of the forum with respect

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 05 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

Maybe Ward feels he's slipped a little since his best days at 168? The reality is closer to the fact he fought, comfortably, the best fighter of his career and wasn’t able to have things all his own way.

It smacks more of grandstanding to me. I'm sure he's been stung by the feedback he's heard/read from people who feel Kovalev won the fight.

I'd be surprised if a man with Ward's ego could retire at this point but I’d be equally thrown if he goes back in with Kovalev when Joe Smith and a payday is sitting right there in front of him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 1:59 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Beat the two number one men at 175 surprised you don't think Stevenson is number one wouldn't put it past you if you do think that not the most logical member of the forum with respect

I expected nothing better......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:04 pm

What would make more sense is for Ward to grab the obvious carrot that is Joe Smith whilst Kovalev goes for Stevenson (or vice-versa) with the victors meeting each other in a winner takes all super-bout for all 4 belts.

I rate Ward but don't like to watch him as I find his fighting style tedious and safety first. I just hope he does go for the rematch. I felt that Kovalev did enough to win a close decision by 1 to 2 rounds, and found that there was too much of a home-town bias given by the judges. It seemed that the vast majority of Boxing writers agreed with only 25% going for Ward and 2% rating it a draw. I got this from good ol' Boxrec http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:2098240

Whatever my thoughts, Ward was given the decision and in my book really should give Kovalev the rematch as let's face it, the Russian gave him his hardest fight by some margin. To be the best in boxing, you should really beat the best, which Ward did not do emphatically enough (unlike the Froch and Dawson fights). I think that there's enough clamour for these two to get it back on - Kovalev will want his titles back and Ward should want to prove that the first decision was correct.

You can't deny that Ward has passed every test that's been set for him, with the obvious exception of providing excitement. I know which of the two I'd rather watch.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:13 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:What would make more sense is for Ward to grab the obvious carrot that is Joe Smith whilst Kovalev goes for Stevenson (or vice-versa) with the victors meeting each other in a winner takes all super-bout for all 4 belts.

I rate Ward but don't like to watch him as I find his fighting style tedious and safety first. I just hope he does go for the rematch. I felt that Kovalev did enough to win a close decision by 1 to 2 rounds, and found that there was too much of a home-town bias given by the judges. It seemed that the vast majority of Boxing writers agreed with only 25% going for Ward and 2% rating it a draw. I got this from good ol' Boxrec http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:2098240

Whatever my thoughts, Ward was given the decision and in my book really should give Kovalev the rematch as let's face it, the Russian gave him his hardest fight by some margin. To be the best in boxing, you should really beat the best, which Ward did not do emphatically enough (unlike the Froch and Dawson fights). I think that there's enough clamour for these two to get it back on - Kovalev will want his titles back and Ward should want to prove that the first decision was correct.

You can't deny that Ward has passed every test that's been set for him, with the obvious exception of providing excitement. I know which of the two I'd rather watch.

Agree with most of that..

Ward can do what he likes...........He has earned the right....

Kovo v Cleverley....Cloud......Grandad.....Chilemba....Pascal......Remember ?????......... Before Ward....

Why do Ward, Mayweather, Manny types always have to fight the best ??....

Double standards as usual..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:16 pm

Ward cannot do as he likes
He signed a rematch clause. He should honour it, or p#@s off

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Because they usually ARE the best. Anything else is seen as cruising and therefore no challenge. The top tennis players always face each other. The top footballers, rugby players, golfers, athletes and even F1 drivers are facing the best in their respective sports at all times. Why should boxers get a pass?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:21 pm

Oh and for your

"Kovo v Cleverley....Cloud......Grandad.....Chilemba....Pascal......Remember ?????......... Before Ward...."

How's about this:

Ward vs Rodriguez....Smith.....Barrera..... Brand.... Remember????....... Before Kovalev.....

DOUBLE STANDARDS.

PS Kovalev hasn't fought Cloud.

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:23 pm

In fairness I wouldn't mind seeing Ward fight Smith but only and I repeat only if Stevenson and Kovalev face off. Winner vs winner that would be a perfect scenario

Thing is though how can Ward get out of the rematch without facing some kind of legal action

And personally I think when a champion is undisputed or clearly number one in his division he should have to take on the toughest challenges one after the other no soft touches that's why I never thought of Floyd as much of a champion same with Ward. Great fighters though. Floyd clearly ducked Margarito

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Because they usually ARE the best. Anything else is seen as cruising and therefore no challenge. The top tennis players always face each other. The top footballers, rugby players, golfers, athletes and even F1 drivers are facing the best in their respective sports at all times. Why should boxers get a pass?

Without belaboring the point.....GGG has fought ordinary opponents for 6 years......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Without belaboring the point.....GGG has fought ordinary opponents for 6 years......

And his most dangerous opponent dumped the belt and ran away rather than face him. Not defending GGG, but fighting at MW alone, he's definitely number 1. Not his fault if the number 2 doesn't want it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:40 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

And his most dangerous opponent dumped the belt and ran away rather than face him. Not defending GGG, but fighting at MW alone, he's definitely number 1. Not his fault if the number 2 doesn't want it.

I agree he has been avoided.....But there has always been 168...

Ward moved up...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 05 Jan 2017, 6:00 pm

Ward moved up because he had to he couldn't make weight

Ggg on the other hand is having no such trouble

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 06 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

Yvon Michel still using Kovalev's name to sell Stevenson's next fight just wish they had the class to leave Kovalev alone if they have no intention of fighting him:

http://www.boxingscene.com/adonis-stevenson-career-plan-2017-outlined-by-promoter--112369

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 06 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Ward moved up because he had to he couldn't make weight

Ggg on the other hand is having no such trouble

Bollox...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 06 Jan 2017, 6:00 pm

Can't handle the facts?

That's OK truss I can give them to you if you like

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 06 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm

Why do so many on here dislike Ward?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 06 Jan 2017, 10:59 pm

Ward moved up and fought Kovalev that is a fact, Golovkin is happy to stay at Middleweight that is also a fact, any opinion based on weight issues is merely that an opinion.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next