The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

+18
BlueCoverman
beninho
golfermartin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
LadyPutt
Davie
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
MontysMerkin
pedro
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
McLaren
super_realist
robopz
GPB
kwinigolfer
22 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:27 pm

1).That's where we are this week, for the second week running after Mayakoba's beachside beauty - which is no way to describe winner Pat Perez. Quite the return from injury for Perez, long regarded as one of the Tour's premier "ball strikers" - if he was anywhere close as good between the ears as he is with his irons, he'd win five times a year, said Johnny Miller, or words to that effect anyway. Almost a shame he won as his combustible self-destruction act is quite something to behold.
And he's the third Mayakoba winner in a row to break a victory drought following Charley Hoffman and Graeme McDowell.

2).We travel this week to the Golden Isles of Georgia and the two courses that make up the venue for the RSM (formerly McGladrey) Classic. 18 holes each at the Plantation Course and Seaside Course, then 36 weekend holes at Seaside - a Harry Colt design originally, and a beautiful setting which will be graced by equally beautiful weather. These "Isles" are popular destinations for Tour players to live and practice, led by Davis Love and joined by Kuchar, Zach Johnson and several others.

3).A lot has happened in the past ten days. Obviously.
We all know the Ugly (not to say vulgar, racist, misogynistic, isolationist) which evolved into the Bad (very bad, tremendously bad), and was roundly welcomed by Pros from all US Tours and broadcast booths.
But there's been some good as well, in the world of Golf at least.

4).With impeccable timing, the Rolex Series for the European Tour was introduced, with the promise of at least one more tournament (France?) to be added to the seven already announced. Not sure we know all the details yet, and the ramifications for PGA Tour members (including South Africans) have yet to be established, but this can't be anything other than terrific news for the E.T.

5).Don't know whether this is good or what, but the reformatting of the Zurich Classic in New Orleans next April seems to beg more questions than it answers, not least any rationale surrounding owgr points (it seems none will be awarded) and how they're going to fill the field. And at a venue, New Orleans, that often experiences an untimely monsoon season to coincide with the tournament, how are they going to manage 160 golfers playing four-balls on the Friday?

6).Meanwhile, the LPGA seems interested in acquiring the Ladies European Tour and using it as feeder for its own Tour. Not sure how that will go down.

7).More positive news for European Seniors is that its new "Head" man, Dave McLaren, is laying out plans to increase the number of tournaments and raise prize money, hopefully within a couple of years. Don't expect Europe's Seniors to reach the kind of wealth that Bernhard Langer has achieved on the Champions Tour (almost $21M and counting), but anything to achieve stability would be welcomed. Meanwhile, the likes of Barry Lane and Van der Velde are competing here in Champions Tour Q-School (both leading in their respective venues after Round 1), hoping to join the likes of Langer, Montgomerie, Mechanic, Broadhurst, Woosie, Lyle and, when he feels fit to compete, Olazabal.

8).This time last year, Graeme McDowell travelled to the Seaside with a Mayakoba win under his belt and proceeded to finish third. Strange, then, that's he's not in this week's field, especially disappointing after three superb rounds last week. Luke Donald will be playing, trying to emerge from the wreckage of his career - a couple of runner-up finishes last year but nothing to suggest he'll be back at the top anytime soon. But these courses might suit him.

9).It's a sad commentary on the state of Australian Golf that last year's Aussie Open Champ, Matt Jones, is playing the RSM/McGladrey rather than defending his title. Admittedly he needs all the starts he can get after mysteriously taking last season just easy enough that he narrowly lost his card, but really . . . . . . . .

10).No PGA Tour action next week, even though Thanksgiving has been postponed in most US homes for four years. There IS a World Cup in Australia, plus Champions Tour and web.com Q-Schools in the next three weeks, but the Ballwasher is pretty clogged up with fallen leaves and season-ending debris, so only sporadic musings until January. Merry Christmas!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Repeat of my post in previous thread

Re: Senior Q-School

One of my old golf acquaintances is playing in the Florida Qualifier. Gibby Gilbert III.

Back when I lived near Chattanooga, there was always a BIG Game on Monday during the winter (when the weather cooperated). All the Club pros played along with invited guests. I was good friends with my club pro and I was invited when I was off on Mondays.

We would have about 50-60 players and I frequently go put on one of the Gibby teams because I was one of the "worst" players (about 10 handicap). Standard game played Best Ball. double best ball, and triple best ball for $20 bucks a piece and you get as many side games as you could stand.

Those were good times. Lanny Wadkins even joined us a couple of times and I got to play with him for an "emergency nine".

Played a couple of times with this guy too. Talk about a TRIVIA Question. Putter of the decade-1960's

http://www.proputters.com/NewFebPlayers/pros/vance_randall.htm

========

Zoran Zorkic is playing in the Texas Qualifier. He is a from the former Yugoslavia and raised in Australia. I played with him in HOOTER's Tour proam about 17 years ago. We won! Won a trip to the Kentucky Derby which I gave back to the guy that entered our team.

JC Anderson is also in the Texas qualifier, he has a funny golf instructional youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQVFhqAKcMg

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:10 pm

GPB,
Your putting mate is a new name to moi.
I've seen JC Anderson at a couple of tournaments - seems a very popular guy with a wide cross-section of players.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:22 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:GPB,
Your putting mate is a new name to moi.
I've seen JC Anderson at a couple of tournaments - seems a very popular guy with a wide cross-section of players.

Vance was quite a character. I knew him back in the mid to late 80's and he was nearing 50 then. He was a heavy drinker and smoker and quite a "playa" with the ladies. He said he was going to try for the Senior Tour. I moved away from Chattanooga in 1988 and I always looked for his name in the back of golfweek magazine but I never saw his name.

No idea what happened to him but I can't imagine that he is still living. But then again, Keith Richards should have been dead 40 years ago.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Guess Danny Willett ain't happy Chris Wood stiffed Willett's partner Westwood for the World Cup. Dunno what the "dynamic" is between Wood and Westwood... but I'm guessing it must not be too good for Chris to walk over a guy who already had his tickets...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/willett-unfair-my-world-cup-wd-also-cost-westwood/

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:34 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
We all know the Ugly (not to say vulgar, racist, misogynistic, isolationist) which evolved into the Bad (very bad, tremendously bad), and was roundly welcomed by Pros from all US Tours and broadcast booths...
And maybe it's time for the overly dramatic hyperbolic crybabies to pull up their big boy panties, quit their crying and move on.... Jes sayin.... Whistle

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:44 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:
We all know the Ugly (not to say vulgar, racist, misogynistic, isolationist) which evolved into the Bad (very bad, tremendously bad), and was roundly welcomed by Pros from all US Tours and broadcast booths...
And maybe it's time for the overly dramatic hyperbolic crybabies to pull up their big boy panties, quit their crying and move on.... Jes sayin.... Whistle

Agree.  Mom used to say there is no use crying over spilled milk.  There has to be a corollary about Crying over spilled milk that is STILL in the cow.

Nostradamus:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:48 pm

robopz wrote:Guess Danny Willett ain't happy Chris Wood stiffed Willett's partner Westwood for the World Cup. Dunno what the "dynamic" is between Wood and Westwood... but I'm guessing it must not be too good for Chris to walk over a guy who already had his tickets...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/willett-unfair-my-world-cup-wd-also-cost-westwood/

Chris might have watch Westy play in the Ryder Cup. censored

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:16 pm

I know we're"kinda"joking about this... But I do think Willett has a point. Rather Westy is playing well or not, and like him or not, being dropped over Willett's WD this late in the game hardly seems sporting.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:20 pm

I wonder which Spieth is gonna show up in Australia tonight? I'm hoping it the one that shoulda been hitting a 1000 practice drives per day the last 6 weeks so he has half a chance of finding a freeking fairway.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:39 pm

So Rory's gonna start his new year with the South African Open. Told ya that ToC thing made too much sense... Money talks and BS walks... :-)

http://golfweek.com/2016/11/15/rory-mcilroy-schedule-masters-putting-coach/

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:43 pm

robopz wrote:I know we're"kinda"joking about this... But I do think Willett has a point. Rather Westy is playing well or not, and like him or not, being dropped over Willett's WD this late in the game hardly seems sporting.

I don't think Willett has a point.

Why wouldn't Chris Wood get his choice of partner? Like all the other the other exempt player in the field

Willett should have known the consequences of his WD.

and I don't buy all of this prima donna B/S that I am seeing in a lot top notable players.

Willett withdraws from a tournament next week for health reasons while playing this week.
Rose out for three months, three days after playing all five sessions of the Ryder Cup. And scheduled to play the Hero Challenge on his comeback
Stenson WD because of with "neck and knee issues" at the 2016 US Open and then playing the next week in Germany.
Jason Day who apparently can get a Venereal Disease by walking into a Convent.
Tiger Woods who claims he has been working his @$$ to get rid of the swing flaws and chipping yips, gets blisters on his hands and fingers. If he had been working on his game, his fingers and hands would be calloused.
Jim Furyk holding on hope that he can play the 2015 Prez Cup in Korea, keeps Captain Jay Haas on hold. Meanwhile, Furyk doesn't play for 7 months.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:46 pm

Yup, Rory announced (at least via the Ernie blog) that several weeks ago - possibly even before he won here.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:02 pm

It's not about anybody "whining" to me as I don't take it that way... and none of those other totally unrelated issues with other players mean jack to me regarding this particular situation.

I get that the lead player gets to pick his partner, but once that selection is made, IMO it would be better if there were a rule that said if it's Player #1 who WD's then his replacement has to accept the player #2 already chosen unless #2 voluntarily WD's himself. And in the case it's Player #2 who WD's, then Player #1 gets to make a new selection (as it is now).

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Yup, Rory announced (at least via the Ernie blog) that several weeks ago - possibly even before he won here.
Well you sure coulda told us that when we were wasting our time speculating about Rory playing the ToC.... Very Happy

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:29 pm

I think Rory playing in South African Open is a part of a Quid Pro Quo arrangement after Ernie played in the Irish Open a couple of years ago.

I think he still owes a visit to the Open de Espana. Sergio played the Irish Open in 2015.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Didn't realise the dates clashed robo . . . . . . . .

One-time World Cup winner Stephen Dodd leading the Florida qualie with Inman. Price, Kingston & McGinley close behind. GGIII moving thru the field.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 pm

GPB wrote:I think Rory playing in South African Open is a part of a Quid Pro Quo arrangement after Ernie played in the Irish Open a couple of years ago.
Looks like you might be right as per this... http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2017/tournamentid=2017002/news/newsid=310008.html. Ernie's response to Rory playing came off as kinda surprised Rory was going to play. Sounds more like Ernie said "Rory owed him" more in jest, but Rory's reciprocating anyway... good for him... either way.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:45 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Didn't realise the dates clashed robo . . . . . . . .
You know I was joking, hence the smiley face, right? but yeah... wouldn't have made sense to go from Hawaii to South Africa to Abu Dhabi in 3 weeks.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Australian Open Leaderboard for those that can't find it

http://www.ausopengolf.com/scores

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Aussie Curtis Luck, US Amateur Champ, is one of two co-leader of the Aussie Open. (w/ Lucas Herbert). at 5 under par

Spieth is -3

Adam Scott and Jhonny Vegas are at +1 and have to play a good 2nd round to make the 36-hole

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:14 pm

PGA Tour (and ET) "Past Champions" YE Yang and Richard S.Johnson retrieve/secure European Tour cards in Spain. Jordan Spieth protege Austin Connelly comes up one stroke short.

Big week at the RSM Classic for Ian Poulter - this is a cut you'd think he has to make to generate some momentum going in to 2017. See he's playing in Australia in December so that'll count as an ET start if he should decide he needs it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Is Austin Connelly a Spieth disciple?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 pm

No evidence of mid-round confessionals, super - Connelly is half Canadian so perhaps that reduces such tendencies?
He was a hot-shot junior who consulted Spieth before turning pro and foregoing a College scholarship. Going back to the Canadian Tour would probably be the best thing for him.

Conditions should be nigh-on perfect at the RSM, for Rounds 1 & 2 at least, then breezy on Saturday, cooler on Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 pm

I wasn't so hot on Connelly's decision to turn pro right out of H.S.... but IMO he's going about it the right way since he has.

He's trying to get into any "bigger tour" he can via whatever qualification method he can. He didn't get his Euro Tour card, but by finishing 31st he's at least got very good status for the Challenge Tour for next year. And as a top-10 finisher on the Canadian Tour, he's exempt into Web.com Tour Q-school finals in December. So if he plays anywhere near like it appears he's capable... decent chance he qualifies for that too.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:13 pm

I am not sure how one jumps to a conclusion of Mentor/Protege relationship by talking once about turning pro early.

It seems to me a Mentor/Protege relationship is more than a One-off 30 minute talk.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:33 pm

I read a profile of Connelly last year and it sounded like a lot more influence than a half-hour chat. Plus I think he's with Spieth's management company.
Regardless, robo is right, better now that he takes gradual steps and learns to win. If he's good enough.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Read an article at PGATour about the Zurich Team tournament. Looks like Keegan is going to play with Brendan Steele.

And they pointed out that Lexi Thompson is one of the Zurich Ambassadors. Could Lexi get a sponsor's invite? Maybe to play with one of her brothers?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:56 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I read a profile of Connelly last year and it sounded like a lot more influence than a half-hour chat. Plus I think he's with Spieth's management company.
Regardless, robo is right, better now that he takes gradual steps and learns to win. If he's good enough.
Yeah, not sure how close they are, but sure seems that Austin looks up to Spieth a whole lot if this is any indication.... https://twitter.com/Austinconnelly9/status/788791325378301953. And a pretty good role model if you ask me. But like always... it comes down to either you're good enough or you're not. IMO early indications are Austin gonna find himself in the big leagues sooner rather than later... we'll see.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Hunter Mahan has fired Sean Foley and is now being coached by Chris O'Connell, Matt Kuchar's coach.

Matt Kuchar's caddie is John Wood, Hunter's former caddie.

Not sure where Kuchar's former caddie (Lance Bennett) has landed

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Lance Bennett is with Bill Haas now.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:18 pm

I used to dislike Mahan, but he's grown on me, despite his 'Murcan "wow" he puts in everywhere when he's doing the commentary I think he's pretty good, but he's definitely got a face for radio, those bulging eyes are a bit off putting.

Good egg though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Couldn't agree more super, Plus he'll have a big dose of humility to help him even more when he finally makes it back towards the top - and he's too good not to make it, surely?

Poults and Lukey putting in a decent effort so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 pm

super_realist wrote:I used to dislike Mahan, but he's grown on me, despite his 'Murcan "wow" he puts in everywhere when he's doing the commentary I think he's pretty good, but he's definitely got a face for radio, those bulging eyes are a bit off putting.

Good egg though.
are you sure you mean Mahan or maybe Justin Leonard...? Not sure what commentary Mahan has done....

Kwini... Agree Mahan figures it out and gets back in the mix..

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:50 pm

I don't think anyone would praise Justin Leonard's commentary . . . . . . . .

Who's this Cink chap at the head of affairs? Imagine that would be good news in more ways than one??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Justin Leonard is a bell end.

Mahan was commentating for the Ryder Cup, and very good he was too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Oh... OK on Mahan RC commentary, I wasn't aware if it.

And yeah kwini... Have yet to hear effusive praise from anyone for any Leonard booth time... I thought he was getting better there for a while.. then he wasn't.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:41 pm

I think he was on BBC or Sky Robo, I can't remember which.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:45 pm

GPB wrote:Read an article at PGATour about the Zurich Team tournament.  Looks like Keegan is going to play with Brendan Steele.

And they pointed out that Lexi Thompson is one of the  Zurich Ambassadors.  Could Lexi get a sponsor's invite?  Maybe to play with one of her brothers?
IMO Lexi playing the Zurich would be great entertainment. I'd love to see her do it.

But there seems to be some confusion on some of the details. In an article on the PGAT site... Keegan seems to think this has OWGR points....

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 pm

super_realist wrote:I think he was on BBC or Sky Robo, I can't remember which.
That's good to hear. Thanks

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:14 pm

I can't think of Keegan Bradley without visualising him doing the Ivor Robson impersonation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:17 pm

GPB wrote:
robopz wrote:Guess Danny Willett ain't happy Chris Wood stiffed Willett's partner Westwood for the World Cup. Dunno what the "dynamic" is between Wood and Westwood... but I'm guessing it must not be too good for Chris to walk over a guy who already had his tickets...

Chris might have watch Westy play in the Ryder Cup. :censored:

Seems the Euro RC team might not have been as chummy as we thought. Wood uses this to needle Westy, but I am not sure it was for him being picked for RC or for WC?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:31 pm

McLaren wrote:
GPB wrote:

Chris might have watch Westy play in the Ryder Cup. censored

Seems the Euro RC team might not have been as chummy as we thought.  Wood uses this to needle Westy, but I am not sure it was for him being picked for RC or for WC?

As usual Mac, looking for the sensationalist angle. No reason that Wood couldn't pick whoever he liked. Knox picked some Scottish hacker ranked somewhere around the 9C level, was that a sleight to the many Scots ranked in between?
You're like a 9/11 "truther" Looking for a conspiracy where there is none.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Who knows what Wood & Westwood were told as far as selections are concerned.

Strange, but true, thing about the Scottish Team is that only Martin Laird - among the "many Scots ranked in between" - has more owgr points this year than Duncan Stewart.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:45 am

Not much danger of Adam Scott & Badds missing the Aussie cut.

golfchannel.com reporting that Wade Ormsby turned pro in 1901 - should be on the Champions Tour surely?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:43 am

I think Spieth committed a rules violation on the third green in round 2

After leaving his birdie putt short, he dragged his putter on the green in utter disgust, before tapping in

That's testing the surface, IMO. and it is not the first time I have seen him do it.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 am

I think that only applies to bunkers doesn't it GPB? I've never heard it in a greens context.
Not sure how it's testing the surface when you can place your hands on the green without penalty like Villegas does.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 am

Caught the interview with Westwood after his round yesterday on Sky Sports. Whilst he was disappointed with not going, he did say that it was his fault that he had been not been higher up the rankings, so he would have been the one to make the pick. Didn't appear to be any animosity between him and Wood.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Another gorgeous day in prospect along the Golden Isles; another day of low scoring in perfect conditions before breezes start to become a factor, possibly this afternoon, certainly Saturday. Just hope any fog clears up first thing.

The Seaside Course here is my idea of a perfect golfcourse, via my TV anyway; gorgeous setting, but apparently needs a bit of wind to present more of a challenge for the top Pros. Cut this evening probably at -4, perhaps -5.

Luke Donald had a lovely round torpedoed late Thursday, partly bad play at the wrong time, partly bad luck. All the Europeans will need good rounds today just to make the cut, especially Gonzo on a course one would think he'd love.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:59 pm

super_realist wrote:I think that only applies to bunkers doesn't it GPB? I've never heard it in a greens context.
Not sure how it's testing the surface when you can place your hands on the green without penalty like Villegas does.

USGA Rule 16-1d wrote:d. Testing Surface
During the stipulated round, a player must not test the surface of any putting green by rolling a ball or roughening or scraping the surface.

Placing the hand (Villegas) would not be a breach, but dragging a putter over the green would be "roughening or scraping the surface"

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next