The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+23
mikeygnfl
GSC
Pr4wn
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
Marky
No name Bertie
Breadvan
Duty281
BamBam
CJB
rugbybanter
TightHEAD
dummy_half
Forward Pass
gazzyD
Fernando
Nathaniel Jacobs
twelve283
aucklandlaurie
TM Moot
westisbest
27 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jan 2017, 8:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pr4wn wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Love this Texans D. They're amazing without Watt. Scary.

Amazing is a bit far - they're pretty good, nothing special.

Number one D in the NFL without their best player.

They're one of about 8 teams to hold that tag - and lets face it it's measured in yards...in points the #1 D was the Pats.

No great defences out there this year, just a lot of pretty good ones. If they had Watt, maybe they'd be great...but they don't
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Mon 06 Feb 2017, 9:43 am

Blame has to fall on the Falcons offense. 21 points, 7 of those coming on a short field and no points in the last 20 minutes. Who would have thought Matt Ryan would come up short in the biggest game of his life.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by skins4ever Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm

Best Superbowl ever IMHO. I don't hate the Patriots, but I wanted Atlanta to win. Have to hand it to Brady and Bilichick, GOAT. Question for them is whether there is enough in the tank to go for 6 wins.

On reflection, Falcons play calling was dubious at times. They seemed to want to go for fancy plays when a simple smash mouth approach early in the 3rd would have put it away. I wouldn't say Ryan had a bad game, but not his best. If they can build on their D, they could easily come back next year.

But the Patriots epitomise never giving up. Brady is just a baller. And Edelman's effort has to overthrow Dwight Clark's The Catch. Amazing concentration and effort.

Fantastic game and excellent entertainment all round.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

I can't see Atlanta coming back next year. Dont think they're particularly special
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:15 pm

The thing that made the offence great was it's scheme and they're losing that. Ryan will probably revert to top 10-15 ala Flacco too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

Brady a true champion. People keep grating their nuts over deflate gate well Brady shut them up once and for all.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 7:05 pm

I just think that the Falcons players realised halfway through the 3rd quarter that winning would have meant they'd have had to go meet Donald Trump.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 7:43 pm

The game was lost in two plays by Atlanta... the sack Ryan took when they had got into field goal range after their first drive of any note in the second half... then the holding penalty they took 1 or 2 plays later on 3rd down that put them 3rd & 33 well out of field goal range

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:15 am

Went to bed at half past midnight, just after the pick 6 with a PAT to make it 21-0...game over and my Falcons bet looking good Doh

Fair play Brady and Bill, not a Pats fan but wow... king

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 10 Feb 2017, 12:39 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:The game was lost in two plays by Atlanta... the sack Ryan took when they had got into field goal range after their first drive of any note in the second half... then the holding penalty they took 1 or 2 plays later on 3rd down that put them 3rd & 33 well out of field goal range

Actually I'd argue it was lost before that. Key stats tell a tale and for all the Falcons big play ability going into the game, they only converted 1 of 8 3rd downs to the Patriots 7 of 14. While the Pats did struggle early on, the Falcons D got worn down over 4 quarters by a Pats O that kept chipping away on long drives. They dominated time of possession by a factor of nearly 2:1. The MVP they'd leaned on all season only threw the ball 23 times, though he did complete a healthy 17 of those, to Brady's 62 (43 completed). Jones caught all 4 of his targets, but to target arguably the best WR in the game 4 times is criminal. The Patriots put the ball in the hands of their best player, and Falcons did pretty much the opposite. Yes they should have run the ball 3 times and kicked the FG, but what they really should have done is gone for the jugular in the first half and buried the Pats under a pile of points and then the margin would have been impossible to overcome. THey took their foot off the Patriots throat and it cost them.

And maybe we're better off for the that - we all got a great game and got to see the best QB and coach ever (imho) get an unprecedented 5th SB together. I can't see that coming around again soon (and more so if they go on to get a 6th).

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 10 Feb 2017, 7:14 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:The game was lost in two plays by Atlanta... the sack Ryan took when they had got into field goal range after their first drive of any note in the second half... then the holding penalty they took 1 or 2 plays later on 3rd down that put them 3rd & 33 well out of field goal range
There were also multiple plays on that drive where the clock was running and they snapped the ball with well over 10 seconds left on the play clock.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Feb 2017, 7:29 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
There were also multiple plays on that drive where the clock was running and they snapped the ball with well over 10 seconds left on the play clock.

For me this was the worst thing Atlanta did. I can understand throwing it, it's how they got to the dance and it was working for them, but they must've kept about a minute, two minutes on the clock doing this. I mean the Pats actually got back with two timeouts and a minute left because of this!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Feb 2017, 5:50 pm

I see the redskins have seen trump and gone, we ain't the most dysfunctional administration in this neighbourhood, as they try to force out their GM because he doesn't want to pay cousins but the coach does.

Oh and they're doing it via Chris Cooley bringing up his alcoholic demons of the past

Classy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 15 Feb 2017, 8:19 pm

Good to see Danny S laying the groundwork to fire his GM.

Can't allow qualified people too much room to run the team
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:31 pm

Revis Island? More like Rikers Island:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786400/article/darrelle-revis-charged-with-four-felonies-after-alleged-altercation

Could be the end of his career at this stage, even if he avoids time. Rolling Eyes

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:40 pm

LOL at people reading too much ProFootballTalk and attaching credence to anything Chris Cooley says!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 18 Feb 2017, 6:25 am

Yea, a team employee speculating the GM is relapsing back into alcoholism on a radio show owned by the team owner is meaningless
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 18 Feb 2017, 12:32 pm

It's meaningless when the "team employee" is Chris Cooley Laugh

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 6:37 pm

Kirk Cousins tagged... all that remains now is the trade negotiations. How much will 49ers give up for him?

Redskins have almost zero leverage here... I reckon they'll do well to get a single 2nd round pick off of San Fran for him.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 28 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

Also, Eric Berry is about to get a monster deal worth $78m from the Chiefs.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:09 pm

They have the leverage of having him under contract.

I wouldn't budge for less than a swap of firsts. A 2nd this year doesn't do much for you.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:13 pm

Washington has all the leverage - they have the QB
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:18 pm

Also, the Chiefs are releasing Jamaal Charles today.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:51 pm

'Skins have almost zero leverage because they don't think that Cousins is worth what he wants who in turn knows that he would get what he wants, or at least close to it, from Kyle Shanahan. There's no motivation for Cousins to shift his stance and value of himself which means unless the Redskins come up to that, he'll play the season on the tag. In that scenario, they face losing him next season for nothing cos they can't tag him again without committing salary cap suicide. It all adds up to getting what they can for him this offseason which would be fine if there was more than one team interested but there likely isn't.... realistically San Fran are the only suitors.

Stuck with a player they have to trade and only one team interested in a trade, the Redskins have very little leverage.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Feb 2017, 7:56 pm

They'll easily get a 3rd back as a comp pick for his contract. While Kyle Shanahan goes 2-14 with Matt Schaub under center. Why settle for a 2nd.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Feb 2017, 8:24 pm

GSC wrote:They'll easily get a 3rd back as a comp pick for his contract. While Kyle Shanahan goes 2-14 with Matt Schaub under center. Why settle for a 2nd.

Exactly

And playing under the tag means Cousins will be the highest paid player in the NFL the past two years, with another chance to hit free agency next year - why would he not want to do that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Feb 2017, 8:26 pm

Pats have not tagged Hightower - essentially giving him the McCourty treatment of two years ago (ie. let him test the market and decide if taking a extra few million a year is worth being on a loser for)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Feb 2017, 8:30 pm

Because if he messes up his knee and never play a again he gets nothing more.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:13 pm

Cousins is happy to play on the tag. He'd be happy doing that and then moving to San Fran next year in FA... that's his ideal scenario cos it's how he maximises his earnings. Even if he tears his knee up, providing he plays well before it, he should still get a good deal... busted knees are less of an issue for pocket QBs.

Redskins' problem is that they only get that 3rd round compensatory pick if they lose him in FA next year which isn't much. There's only one trade partner in the running though - San Fran - so there's no need for them to hang little more than a 2nd round pick in front of the Skins this year. Redskins would be as well just taking that and moving on from Cousins this year.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:16 pm

BTW, not saying a trade will happen.... but I'd be really surprised if the Redskins weren't trying to make one happen. With the way Cousins played in big moments in big games last season in the Packers' playoff game in the 2015 season, I find it hard to fault them for not committing a huge chunk of salary cap to Cousins.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:20 pm

Of course there'd be more than 1 partner. Teams are desperate for QB and this class supposedly sucks.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:23 pm

I'd be shocked if Chicago, Cleveland in particular weren't sniffing around - probably loads more too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:46 pm

GSC wrote:Of course there'd be more than 1 partner. Teams are desperate for QB and this class supposedly sucks.

But only 1 that Cousins would be willing to go to.... San Fran. If he can't get himself traded there then he'll hang on and play on the tag and sign with them next year.... providing they still want him then.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:49 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I'd be shocked if Chicago, Cleveland in particular weren't sniffing around - probably loads more too

Cousins wouldn't go to either of them this season.... he'd sit tight and play on the tag if the Redskins try to force him anywhere but San Fran. As an FA next year he can pick his spot.... and if San Fran still need a QB then and Kyle Shanahan hasn't somehow been fired then that's where he'll likely end up.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 28 Feb 2017, 9:53 pm

I have a hard time seeing Cousins turning down 20m a year because he wants to go play for the 2nd worst team in football.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 02 Mar 2017, 9:14 am

In other news Scot McCloughan was reportedly sent home on Feb 20th and told not to return.

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

The Bears shed Jay Cutlers contract to give Mike Glennon 15m a year

picard
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 08 Mar 2017, 8:03 pm

The Redskins have just signed Vernon Davis to a three year deal.

Seriously.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 Mar 2017, 9:55 pm

Miami bulked at paying Olivier Vernon 8m per year in 2015

Now paying Andre branch (yeah I don't know either) 9m per year in the same position

Bills appear to be trying to close the gap to the pats by signing all the fullbacks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 09 Mar 2017, 8:09 pm

GSC wrote:The Bears shed Jay Cutlers contract to give Mike Glennon 15m a year

picard

I still don't get the Mike Glennon obsession... I know QB money just keeps inflating, but its just odd

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 09 Mar 2017, 8:16 pm

Carolina sees Chicago give Mike Glennon 15m a year and thinks we can top that

As they sign Matt Kalil to a 5 year, 55.5m deal with 25m guaranteed.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Mar 2017, 8:39 pm

Osweiller traded to Cleveland

God bless the Browns fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

Why? The Browns got Osweiler (who is obviously garbage), a second round pick and a sixth round pick in exchange for a fourth rounder.

Great trade for both teams, I think. Texans lose the $16m cap hit and the Browns, with all that cap space, get a second and a sixth in exchange for a fourth.

Crazy trade, not really seen anything like that in the NFL before.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:11 pm

Now the Texans can use that cap space to go after Romo.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:21 pm

The Redskins..... Laugh Laugh Laugh

I think I might have a year off from the NFL in 2017.

Last edited by Number-25 on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:22 pm

Pats have paid Stephon Gilmore a ton of money. Good player, though.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:30 pm

Apparently the Browns already receiving calls with interest to trading Osweiler

Jeffrey 1yr in Philly. Went has some targets to throw to this year

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:31 pm

Browns have made some good moves so far. I like that they tied up Zeitler and Bitonio, two very good players.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:53 pm

Number-25 wrote:The Redskins..... Laugh Laugh Laugh

I think I might have a year off from the NFL in 2017.

Ah, panic over, we've signed Stacy McGee (?????) and have Terrelle Pryor visiting Laugh

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

ALSHON
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:59 pm

He can play half of the games this season for $14m.

Seriously, though. Good deal. I like one year contracts for players like that.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next