The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+23
mikeygnfl
GSC
Pr4wn
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
Marky
No name Bertie
Breadvan
Duty281
BamBam
CJB
rugbybanter
TightHEAD
dummy_half
Forward Pass
gazzyD
Fernando
Nathaniel Jacobs
twelve283
aucklandlaurie
TM Moot
westisbest
27 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pr4wn wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Love this Texans D. They're amazing without Watt. Scary.

Amazing is a bit far - they're pretty good, nothing special.

Number one D in the NFL without their best player.

They're one of about 8 teams to hold that tag - and lets face it it's measured in yards...in points the #1 D was the Pats.

No great defences out there this year, just a lot of pretty good ones. If they had Watt, maybe they'd be great...but they don't
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Eli might accidentally win a game, hes done it often enough.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by TightHEAD Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Poor Eli, he looked like a broken man in the locker room interview.

The Giants have sucked big time this season but you can't blame it all on this guy, McApoo should have been fired weeks ago.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Eli sux

Legitimately not even a Top 20/25 QB anymore - since his the SB win in 2011 he's only played one playoff game (which they lost by 25 points), has a losing record (41-50) and leads the NFL in INTs with 93 over that time period.

He's as bigger part of the issue with that Giants O as anyone else. He also wasted that amazing Giants D last year by being so bad. Completely the right move to cut ties and move on this off season, especially as it looks like you're gonna get a top 3/5 pick - and you wouldn't be throwing that QB into an awful situation (good D still, OBJ/Shepherd/Engram are quality weapons)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

So, the Skins go away to a divisional rival with their season in the balance and... Same story different season.

There are many calling for the Skins to move on from Cousins. I kind of get them and I kind of don't. Maybe he isn't a true franchise QB, but we suck at drafting those, and besides, we have 3 SB wins without a franchise QB and we're not the only ones. Someone like Brady does improve everyone around them and that maybe where Cousins falls down.

But on the other hand, most franchise QB's get good players around them that they can bring the best out of. The Skins can't seem to find the formula that Gibbs and Beatherd had, of building teams with good solid hard working players (just look at the wash Cravens has been and Doctson still may be). Last night was full of examples of guys who when it came to it didn't deliver. Key drops, turnovers (Crowder created 2 all by himself), missed blocks/assignments and missed tackles are the story of our season. Injuries have played their part, but that's only highlighted a poor roster.

I've coached and coached against some pretty good teams, and I can tell you that you get the best out of players that want to work hard for you and that work on eliminating their mistakes. Getting them to want to work hard for you is the trick. I do think it starts at the top and I finally agree that I just don't think that the Skins will ever win a championship with Snyder at the helm. I hope I'm wrong.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty california teams

Post by rugbybanter Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:22 am

I think the move North by the SD chargers was to save the franchise brand due to dwindling numbers in viewership. Probably not ideal for die hard SoCal fans and means SD now only have the Padres as a major league franchise. In saying that California doesn't lose a team and a smart business decision no doubt in light of the Olympics so no doubt they were incentivised to make the move. Either way its less hassle setting a few hours up the I5, imagine being the Rams who have gone cross country! California has got the depth to accomodate several home teams I still think the Raiders are the quintessential LA team and would have been much better suited to being the LA favourite as they seem to have the most mileage when it comes to re-invigorated brand capital potential. I like the idea that each NFL is starting to expand on its foray into developing a distinct style of football that is relevant to the teams name/history and this is essential if the game is to maintain its appeal to the fans. I think the NFL should focus less on fantasy football and marketing of the digital equivalent as it detracts from the games appeal as an all American sport. It would be great to see bigger, faster more intelligent plays (an area that needs huge improvement as the standard of play seems to have slipped) and wold be great to see more athletic DL weighing in at 400lb that can run the 100 metres in 10 seconds and lightning quick WR that can cartwheel them selves into the in zone and keep the crowd entertained, this will add much more needed excitement to the game. NFL has the legs to really take the game to the next level it just needs some of the sleepy owners to get on board and ensure this happens

Number-25 wrote:Sucks to see the Chargers leave San Diego. Something wrong with a league that lets teams just abandon the fans who have supported it and invested money, time and emotion in it for over half a centruy.

Nauseating to read the cliches and platitudes about how hard the decision was etc. If San Diego and its fans meant that much to Spanos and the NFL they'd have found a way to make it work. They were hellbent on two teams in LA no matter what. Hopefully LA has two stinky teams for many, many years to come.

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:100% Philly are going full Dallas and losing in the divisional round imo

Oh hey look beating a bunch of cupcakes for a month doesn't make you the best team since the 90's Cowboys...who'd have thought...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 am

Doesn't seem to have hurt the Patriots having a cakewalk division for a decade but I digress...

Kind of loss weve been asking for, can't be that sloppy on the road against a really good team. They brought their a game we were significantly below that.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am

GSC wrote:Doesn't seem to have hurt the Patriots having a cakewalk division for a decade but I digress...

Kind of loss weve been asking for, can't be that sloppy on the road against a really good team. They brought their a game we were significantly below that.

Pats have had an easy division - but they beat the other good teams across the AFC/NFC too...as they get the toughest schedule out of division (at the beginning of the season) year after year.

Agreed it's one of those good losses - tbf a few breaks went Seattle's way, and Wentz missed a few throws. Another day he makes the throw to Aghalor early and you take a lead. Key is how you respond against LA next week, lose to them and suddenly you're in danger of losing homefield in Jan...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm

We might be better off not having it, both times weve come off an >10 day this year the offense has come out flat. Fortunately neither Dallas or Washington could take advantage.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 pm

The Eagles last place schedule netted them the Panthers and Bears, so evened out.

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 pm

Giants are cleaning house: McAdoo and Reese have both been fired.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:52 pm

The Giants are waning to the whims of their washed up over the hill starting QB cos he had a little cry when he was rightly benched

What a car wreck of an organisation
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:03 pm

2-0 against the Patriots in Superbowls though.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Mara admits he signed off on the bench Eli plan from McAdoo

The Giants have no idea what on earth they’re doing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 pm

and yet Eli might be back in at QB...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Gronk suspended one game for is awful cheap shot. Should have been 2, in my opinion.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Gronk suspended one game for is awful cheap shot. Should have been 2, in my opinion.

Not sure on what basis he's appealing. I mean, unless he thought all that white area on the sideline was a 'park your elbow here' sign what's his argument?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 pm

He’s clearly appealing cos the NFL punishment process is so stupid he’ll likely get it reduced (even though he shouldn’t - agreed a game or two should be the ban)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Find some reaction to Jujus suspension interesting, can only imagine the outcry if Burflict did that to him...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty re roster

Post by rugbybanter Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Id like to these teams (particularly where theres alot of valuable experience in the rank) using their depth chart a bit more effectively. No point waiting until the playoffs to use the big guns when there are dwindling numbers in the stadiums and even less of a viewership on TV. Get the players that know how to play the game on the field whatever it takes so we can enjoy the spectacle!

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mara admits he signed off on the bench Eli plan from McAdoo

The Giants have no idea what on earth they’re doing

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Boring Pats

Post by rugbybanter Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 pm

These guys literally epitomise the essence of the word "boring". Good to see the Eagles, Vikings and Steelers showing some form I just hope the West Coast can find the legs to put forward a competitive challenge come playoff time!

GSC wrote:I don't think it really moves the needle. Bills obviously decided if Brady goes down Garoppolo can't win with this roster so get what you can.

Don't see him as a difference maker tbh

Pretty much. I think he can be a top 15-20 QB in the right situation - but he needs the weapons. San Fran is about as far away from having a good supporting cast as you can be in the NFL

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

A 1-27 head coach who is one of the worst the league has ever seen just won a power battle with a GM who’s building a good young roster

The Cleveland Browns ladies and gentlemen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Must have missed the part where he built a good young roster.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 pm

GSC wrote:Must have missed the part where he built a good young roster.

That defence has plenty of really good young talent in the front seven and some promising players in the back end. O-line has good players, Njoku looks legit.

If Hue was even half competent as a HC they would have won 3/4 games this season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 pm

That defence has plenty of really good young talent in the front seven and some promising players in the back end. O-line has good players, Njoku looks legit.

If Hue was even half competent as a HC they would have won 3/4 games this season

+ 5 picks in the first two rounds of the draft next year. But it’s the guy who wanted to trade a second and a third for AJ McCarron who is the one to take them forward.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 pm

JDizzle wrote:

+ 5 picks in the first two rounds of the draft next year. But it’s the guy who wanted to trade a second and a third for AJ McCarron who is the one to take them forward.

A man who also traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for a retired Carson Palmer also
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 pm

They have a million picks because they've passed on every QB of note instead drafting trash at the games most important position.

Theyve drafted 200 wide receivers and a promising TE is the best receiver they can muster. Their promising defense just gives up a load of points instead of yards. Their OL is sparking the 19th best run game and giving up more than 3 sacks a game.

This roster sucks, they purged it of every veteran they could two years ago, they gave Hue a roster designed to lose games and he gets blamed when said roster loses? They tear out the scouting staff and put a lawyer and a baseball GM in charge because they consult PFF.

But hey, let's all buy into the Browns having multiple picks again. It's not like even they could spend 4 first rounders on Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel in the space of 24 months.

Hue may or may not be a good coach. But nobodys winning in that dumpster fire. Next up will be Haslam going to jail
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm

An offensive line with proven commodities on it and a defence with some exciting players... Maybe, just maybe it is bad coaching. The Browns are bad, but they are not 1-27 bad.

And I don’t know if Kizer’ll ever be a decent QB (probably not), but it wasn’t the front office who benched him, brought him back in Q3 of the next game, started him, benched him, started him again. High quality stuff from Hue.

Coleman, Ogbah, Garrett, Kizer, Peppers, Njoku drafted in the first two rounds in the last two years - no Manziel or Gilbert in sight. They deserve the chance to use the picks they amassed.

But more than anything you don’t hire a guy to blow it all up and start again and then fire him after he blows it all up.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 am

And if you are going to blow it up, don’t do it half a55 and keep the awful manipulative head coach! Hue is clearly out of his depth as a HC, he’s proven that over and over this season

Haslam is probably the worst owner in sports. You only have to look what’s happening at Tennessee at the moment and his meddling in the Browns makes me wonder why anyone would want to work for him. Remember when he commissioned a study into QBs before the 2014 draft which suggested they should draft Bridgewater, and his OC/HC were on record saying they liked Carr and Garoppolo then he just randomly picked Manziel!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:21 am

He had the stellar choice between 2 bad QBs
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 pm

GSC wrote:This roster sucks, they purged it of every veteran they could two years ago, they gave Hue a roster designed to lose games and he gets blamed when said roster loses?
The Jets are starting Josh McCown and a bunch of receivers that even their fans would have struggled to name before the season started, and they have 5 wins. He wins 2 or 3 a season and everyone's probably quite happy to say he's doing fine, but he hasn't even cleared that extremely low bar.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Buffalo is laughing at the snow in the UK...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Four completed passes total in the first half there.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Bengals are getting blown out by the Bears. Starting to look like this might really finally be the end for Marvin Lewis.

Not sure if Josh Gordon is just that good or the Packers' defense is just that bad, but it looks like the Browns are going to win a game.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 am

frak everything
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 am

GSC wrote:frak everything

Wentz learnt the hard way that to last as a QB in the NFL, don't run unless you have to... Shocked

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 am

Eagles fans shouldn’t freak out totally - this team was built on a strong running game and great defence, plus Nick Foles is one of the better backups in the league.

Like the Vikings you ain’t outta it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:52 am

Also talk it’s not a full tear and he might be able to play - learn from RG3 Philly - get him right rather than play him injured
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 am

Nick Foles isn't doing Poopie
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 am

You got the Giants, Raiders and Cowboys left - still favourite for all three quite easily, should get home field which is a huge factor

It’s not apocalypse some are making out. Still the best roster in the NFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:26 am

It was when we had an all pro QB running it. With Nick Foles its an exit by the first team we play, I dont really care if we get a bye or not
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm

If Foles plays sensible and just avoids big turnovers, at worst you have 3/4 weeks for Wentz to get fit again (if he can), and at best you have a guy who can manage the team into the playoffs. At that point, take heart from the number of teams that have won the SB with so-so QB's.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:45 pm

I thought Wentz had ripped an ACL? Surely that means he's done until next season?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:51 pm

They heavily suspect he's torn it but hasn't had a Mri yet
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 am

Well that was an utter dog turd performance
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I thought Wentz had ripped an ACL? Surely that means he's done until next season?

Confirmed, he's having an op.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Devin Hester has retired. Nice letter he posted and I note he speculates about Canton (HOF). Interesting point. I'd actually like to see him in there. Yes, he was almost exclusively a return man, but he made returner into a position in itself and he did things that are unlikely to be repeated any time soon. He caused coaches to alter their game plans and, while he jokes about it, probably had quite a bit to do with the KO being moved up. He was literally a game changer and isn't that the kind of player that should be in the HOF?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 pm

If Morten Andresen just made it in, there's no reason Devin Hester shouldn't make it too.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Four of Funchess, Evans, Goodwin, Engrams, Henry, Crabtree, Ginn, D.Thomas, Westbrook

Crabtree
Funchess
Evans
Engram??

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 pm

I’ve sort of lost interest in the season as the Redskins’ season has predictably imploded... feel like should prob try and get back into it a bit.... what have I missed the last 3 weeks or so??

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next