The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+23
mikeygnfl
GSC
Pr4wn
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
Marky
No name Bertie
Breadvan
Duty281
BamBam
CJB
rugbybanter
TightHEAD
dummy_half
Forward Pass
gazzyD
Fernando
Nathaniel Jacobs
twelve283
aucklandlaurie
TM Moot
westisbest
27 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 13 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pr4wn wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Love this Texans D. They're amazing without Watt. Scary.

Amazing is a bit far - they're pretty good, nothing special.

Number one D in the NFL without their best player.

They're one of about 8 teams to hold that tag - and lets face it it's measured in yards...in points the #1 D was the Pats.

No great defences out there this year, just a lot of pretty good ones. If they had Watt, maybe they'd be great...but they don't
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 13 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Marvin Lewis is leaving the Bengals at the end of the season. Team's utterly quit (currently down 17 points to the Vikings after 1Q), but there's surely still enough talent there for it to be seen as an attractive job.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 13 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Rams are killing it in Seattle

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Oh Pats early season defence - how nice of you to return these past two weeks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Not sure I’m going to stop watching that Brady/Gronk drive forever.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 am

Fitting that the Patriots and Cowboys are bailed out of losses by the 2 worst rules in the league
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:18 am

GSC wrote:Fitting that the Patriots and Cowboys are bailed out of losses by the 2 worst rules in the league

Catch rule has needed to be sorted out for half a decade now - its embarassing

But that final throw from Ben was one of the stupidest I've ever seen. Why are you throwing it into essentially double coverage, and 4/5 standing Pats over the middle of the field? Romo was right, either throw the fade or spike it. Ben, as ever, throws his coaches under the bus after the game...never his fault...

The Pats are in the Steelers heads - some sort of weird hodoo Brady and Belichick have over them, similar to the one the Giants have over the Pats. Pittsburgh should have won that game easily, they were by far the better team
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am

I would argue the catch rule needs refinement. A player should be considered down when any part of his body that would normally down him under a tackle in a run, or catch and run, scenario has touched the ground (in bounds). If his hands are the first part of his body to hit and ball comes loose, it's not a catch, but if another downing part of his body (head, elbow/forearm, knee etc.) hits first, and he has control, then he should be considered down. If he is untouched and loses the ball, then it's a fumble, else he's down by contact.

Last night, his knee and elbow had both contacted the ground and he was reaching for the EZ when the ball came loose, but he re-secured it after it contacted the ground. As such, the rule was interpreted correctly, but the rule as written is pants. It's spoiling the game with technicalities instead of allowing skill and effort to determine outcomes.

OTOH I agree, Ben blew that one with a dumb play. If you are going to throw that, throw it low and away not into the body where the defender can reach it. But you're correct, it was a dumb play call and a dumb play. It won't hurt them immediately, but if the Pats get HFA it could come back to bite them.

I'm just looking forward to seeing the Pats and/or Steelers go up against that Jags D. If Bortles continues to improve and that D can hold its own in the playoffs, I would back the Jags for a SB berth, if not winning it all. Right now, there are 3 strong AFC's teams and 4 strong NFC teams, and I'd hesitate to pick a SB winner amongst them. But if you twisted my arm I'd go with the Saints against the Jags.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 pm

One from Larry Fitz, Mike Evans or Keenan Allen?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Denver are really bad.... like really bad.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:51 pm

cant understand why the reciever doesnt just change his angle of run to put himself into a position of space where the q' back can rifle the ball to him. Look at the majority of recievers they all drift in one direction, they should change their run direction a bit more .

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:59 pm

NFL plays are nt being executed with anywhere near the same level of accuracy or finesse that they were approx' 10 years ago. The do not seem to have anywhere near the same level of talent that they had either with the depth chart not being used effectively early in the season so that the more experienced talent is on the field well before the playoffs that way they might attract a better viewership

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:05 pm

I agree they should be a better team than they've displayed. They have a very capable franchise and good management structure, perhaps their QB position needs a steady head. Manning should have mentored someone capable into the position before he left.

Number-25 wrote:Denver are really bad.... like really bad.

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:08 pm

They should simplify , if any part of knee or below makes contact with the ground then its not a complete play in any case. If they refine the call play they wouldnt be in a situation where the guy is struggling to get over the line like that!

skins4ever wrote:I would argue the catch rule needs refinement. A player should be considered down when any part of his body that would normally down him under a tackle in a run, or catch and run, scenario has touched the ground (in bounds). If his hands are the first part of his body to hit and ball comes loose, it's not a catch, but if another downing part of his body (head, elbow/forearm, knee etc.) hits first, and he has control, then he should be considered down. If he is untouched and loses the ball, then it's a fumble, else he's down by contact.

Last night, his knee and elbow had both contacted the ground and he was reaching for the EZ when the ball came loose, but he re-secured it after it contacted the ground. As such, the rule was interpreted correctly, but the rule as written is pants. It's spoiling the game with technicalities instead of allowing skill and effort to determine outcomes.

OTOH I agree, Ben blew that one with a dumb play. If you are going to throw that, throw it low and away not into the body where the defender can reach it. But you're correct, it was a dumb play call and a dumb play. It won't hurt them immediately, but if the Pats get HFA it could come back to bite them.

I'm just looking forward to seeing the Pats and/or Steelers go up against that Jags D. If Bortles continues to improve and that D can hold its own in the playoffs, I would back the Jags for a SB berth, if not winning it all. Right now, there are 3 strong AFC's teams and 4 strong NFC teams, and I'd hesitate to pick a SB winner amongst them. But if you twisted my arm I'd go with the Saints against the Jags.

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:15 pm

why do these guys look so out of shape? They don't look athletic or conditioned to the level you would expect for the NFL. Some of them look like they've been dragged in from the crowd!

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Dak Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbybanter Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:32 pm

If the content providers want to diversify into the "gaming" arena they should keep the two platforms completely segregated. A viewership wants to watch live sport (ie two teams competing on the field) they re not interested in fantasy trash, leave that to the video game content creators on a completely seperate platform. Live Sport is diferent to gaming which is different to fantasy league, lets establish the distinction and some clear boundaries so each viewership can get some value out of each respective platform.

rugbybanter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:59 pm

DeAndre Hopkins take a bow, son! Wow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 am

rugbybanter wrote:If the content providers want to diversify into the "gaming" arena they should keep the two platforms completely segregated. A viewership wants to watch live sport (ie two teams competing on the field) they re not interested in fantasy trash, leave that to the video game content creators on a completely seperate platform. Live Sport is diferent to gaming which is different to fantasy league, lets establish the distinction and some clear boundaries so each viewership can get some value out of each respective platform.

I don't know who you are but you clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 am

It is a bit strange
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 am

Welcome to the future, everyone. Where Jacksonville vs Buffalo is a playoff game, and Jack Del Rio and Chuck Pagano are unemployed.

2017 in review:
1 January: Browns score 24 but lose to Steelers team starting Landry Jones.
31 December: Browns score 24 but lose to Steelers team starting Landry Jones.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 am

Changes so far:

Giants: OUT Jerry Reese (GM), Ben McAdoo IN Dave Gettleman (GM)
Browns: OUT Sashi Brown (GM) IN John Dorsey (GM)
Packers: OUT Ted Thompson (GM) IN Brian Gutekunst (GM)
Cardinals: OUT Bruce Arians
Raiders: OUT Jack Del Rio
Colts: OUT Chuck Pagano
Lions: OUT Jim Caldwell
Bears: OUT John Fox

Texans GM Rick Smith is taking a leave of absence to look after his wife, and Marvin Lewis apparently might keep going after all.

Last edited by Lowlandbrit on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated)

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am

Fantastic end to the season. I have to feel for Ravens fans but what a moment for Bills fans, of which there are a lot here in Toronto!

A really thrilling end.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Marvin Lewis signs a two year extension. Genuinely incredible. Not even pretending to care about winning anymore.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm

JDizzle wrote:Marvin Lewis signs a two year extension. Genuinely incredible. Not even pretending to care about winning anymore.

Laugh I love the Bengals. Commitment to mediocrity
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm now looking forward to the 'will they sign him or not' Cousins saga for the next 3 months. Not. Rolling Eyes

On a more positive note, well done the Bills. Say what you will, the AFC East isn't an easy division to get out of if you're not the Patriots. While I think they have a good enough chance against the Jags, I can't see them lasting more than 1-2 games, especially as they would then have to go through NE or the Steelers. But getting to the playoffs after the season they had is testament to a solid D and rushing attack.

In fact, for all the talk about RB's being considered as less than essential in the modern NFL, it's funny how many teams have made it to the playoffs on the back of a strong running attack. 9 of the top 10 rushing teams (yds) are in the playoffs, whereas only 6 of the top 10 passing yards teams are in there.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Anyone else think that Cousins to Jacksonville is a move that makes sense?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Cousins to anywhere needing a QB makes sense. Except to Snyder and Allen. Unless they throw the cheque book at him, he's going to the highest bidder. And I can't see them throwing that much money at him, given what they have done the last 2 go arounds. Sad

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Even by their standards, the Raiders have gone completely insane.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Eh. You were bidding against 7m to do 1/10th of the work on tv

Gruden is a good rather than great coach but he might be what Carr needs and has the profile to get people to turn up the next 2 years

Massive risk but you have to take some to win big
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 pm

The money is silly, but whatever. Ten years is insane.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

The kind of mental contract that makes the nfl completely wild and fun to follow

Football twitter is ablaze with searing hot takes on the Pats after that ESPN piece that came out reporting what has been reported in Boston media the past two months anyways...quite funny to watch
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 pm

That Mariota TD was certainly wild and fun!

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 pm

That is one all time epic chiefs loss
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Yeah, they folded good and proper.

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

Well, when I decided to go to bed at half time, I did not foresee a Titans victory... it was one way traffic in the first half!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:34 pm

What are the odds on a Falcons v Titans SB? Smile

Expectation I had coming into this week was scrappy one sided wildcard games. Well they've been scrappy but not totally one sided. If today's games go the same way I can honestly say I doubt the Pats, Steelers and Vikings will be too worried. To win in the playoffs you need to be executing good consistent football. Not seen it from the 2 winners so far, but credit to the Titans at least for showing great character.

And never mind throwing a TD to himself, Mariota's best play was the run block he threw to help seal the game. Baller!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Updated changes so far:

Giants: OUT Jerry Reese (GM), Ben McAdoo IN Dave Gettleman (GM)
Browns: OUT Sashi Brown (GM) IN John Dorsey (GM)
Packers: OUT Ted Thompson (GM) IN Brian Gutekunst (GM)
Texans: OUT Rick Smith (GM)
Cardinals: OUT Bruce Arians
Raiders: OUT Jack Del Rio IN Jon Gruden
Colts: OUT Chuck Pagano
Lions: OUT Jim Caldwell
Bears: OUT John Fox IN Matt Nagy

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm

I was a bit surprised by the Caldwell sacking, if I'm honest.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

He’s a bit like a Marvin Lewis for me - he’s always gonna have you in that middle of the pack range, you’ll never bottom out but don’t really think you’ll ever be serious contenders under a coach like that.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Think you're quite harsh on Caldwell but Quinn clearly wants to bring Patricia with him. Caldwell had a year to win or that would happen
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Funny, as a coach that played as a DB, he came up the ranks as a QB coach and offense builder. Funnier still, as a former defensive player, he can't build a defense (or a running game). That's his downfall in Detroit. He'll probably be a good OC somewhere, but I'm not sure he'll get another HC gig any time soon.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am

Eagles/Jags, Seahawks/Raiders and Chargers/Titans are 3 of the London games next year
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Overall a fairly reasonable looking bunch... still waiting for Green Bay as an away team!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm

It's amusing me how much Denver players are talking Kirk Cousins up. Talking about him like he's Tom Brady!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Cian Fahey fired by ESPN

What a shame...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Absolute fraud hiding behind "analytics".

naughty naughty boy on twitter to anyone who agree with him to boot.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 am

Games for London next season...

Seattle Seahawks vs. Oakland Raiders, Tottenham stadium, Oct. 14.
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28.
Tennessee Titans vs. Los Angeles Chargers, Wembley Stadium, Oct. 21 or 28.

Quite fancy the Tottenham game. All 3 look like the could be decent close games.
Still no Packers though (possibly season after as they have Jaguars away I think)

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm

The Falcons are the first #6 seed to be favored against the #1 seed and lose
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Falcons, Falcon’d hard at the end there
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm

That was one mental half of football
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next