The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money

+21
BoxingFan88
Dylan1979
SecretFly
rapidringsroad
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
Pedro147
compelling and rich
Baby faced assassin
rodders
hogey
milkyboy
Atila
Derbymanc
TopHat24/7
smashingstormcrow
melv500
AdamT
EX7EY
hazharrison
owen10ozzy
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money Empty Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 14 Feb 2017, 12:51 pm

Won't post a link as easy enough to search, however it appears that the fight the world has been talking about for the better part of 18 months is almost over the line. Various media outlets have reported that Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor have agreed to the terms for a match up against one another with a reported billion dollars at play on the table.

Whilst both men have agreed to the contracts they have yet to be signed due to a 3rd party holding up the deal getting over the line. The common line of thinking is that said person is Dana White of the UFC (although this is just conjecture at this time). However whoever is holding up any potential is expected to step aside for the right price and the fight is said to most definitely be taking place.

Now obviously legal issues arise plenty of times during boxing negotiations and given how difficult fights of this magnitude are to make it wouldn't be a shock to see this suddenly collapse...that being said throughout all of the hype and talk of this fight in last 18 months, neither party had fully committed to negotiations..the sheer fact that they apparently have would suggest this deal is very much immenint and the fight will go ahead..

So whose looking forward to it? Who do we think wins...does anyone give Conor even the smallest of chances and most vitally in a year which seems to be going very well for boxing does that add to what is an apparent growth year in the sport or is it just a circus act to attract the masses?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money Empty Re: Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money

Post by hazharrison Tue 14 Feb 2017, 1:40 pm

I think it'll be a fun event - I like McGregor's shtick (and he'll likely make Floyd look like the bore he is in the pressers). It's not a boxing match - more a novelty act.

I would literally have to have a medic on hand should Conor land a left hook and put him out (for fear of dying laughing).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money Empty Re: Money Mayweather vs Money McGregor = Whole Lotta Money

Post by EX7EY Tue 14 Feb 2017, 2:56 pm

Haz hit the nail on the head describing this as a novetly act.

It's just two guys at the top of their respective sports making a smart financial play, thats it. It's stupid really. Floyd has no chance of taking a loss and Conor won't care one bit about taking the loss.

The best bit is, read some comments on facebook, jeez McGregor has done a real good job with his fans. Most of them think he could put God to sleep with that left hand.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 14 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

hazharrison wrote:I think it'll be a fun event - I like McGregor's shtick (and he'll likely make Floyd look like the bore he is in the pressers). It's not a boxing match - more a novelty act.

I would literally have to have a medic on hand should Conor land a left hook and put him out (for fear of dying laughing).

It's a pity McGregor is fighting Floyd!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 4:21 pm

It's a circus act plain and simple. Yes it's intriguing but a billion dollars on the table for a fight that will be no way competitive is a joke. Why anyone woukd pay to watch this beyond me but I will watch for free through Kodi.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Tue 14 Feb 2017, 4:31 pm

Asking a UFC fighter to box is like asking a rugby player to play football. There are certain similarities, but it's a different sport. You can't train for a few months and then hope to compete with someone who's dedicated their life to honing their craft. But they'll make their money, so...

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm

EX7EY wrote:
The best bit is, read some comments on facebook, jeez McGregor has done a real good job with his fans. Most of them think he could put God to sleep with that left hand.

So we have Pactards and Flomos, and now we need something for McGregor fans......??

No idea where to start Headscratch

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 14 Feb 2017, 6:06 pm

Mctardmo's ????

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 14 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

This is going to be a pure boxing fight right?

If it is, and I'm assuming Floyd wins, are people going to take him claiming to be 50-0 seriously?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 14 Feb 2017, 7:17 pm

Mcdonuts

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 9:54 pm

Tw*ts?

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Feb 2017, 9:41 am

Lol decent effort lads!

MaccyDicks?
Contards?
Mclosers?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:22 am

i like Contards Very Happy

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:34 am

You have no taste. Mcdonuts the clear winner Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:42 am

This would be the least credible fight since Andy Kaufman's last wrestling match, If McGregor cant grapple and kick then this is a pointless exercise achieving no more than making 2 super rich blokes even richer for simply having an exhibition match between a world class boxer and a world class fighter, but novice boxer. I would put money on this being carefully stage managed to make sure Floyd doesn't completely box his head off and make McGregor look like a complete clown and that McGregor doesnt land a lucky punch and cause the ultimate embarrassment of starching Floyd.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:57 am

Floyd thinks it's all talk but when he wakes up with his nose splattered all over his face he'll know it's not all talk
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:01 pm

rodders wrote:Floyd thinks it's all talk but when he wakes up with his nose splattered all over his face he'll know it's not all talk

You think McG beats Floyd?

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:19 pm

No he just wants the accolade of being the first to be labelled a mcdonut/mccretin. And who wouldn't.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm

hogey wrote: Floyd doesn't completely box his head off and make McGregor look like a complete clown and that McGregor doesnt land a lucky punch and cause the ultimate embarrassment of starching Floyd.

Wonder if we'll see a Ketchel-Jack Johnson incident.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:41 pm

The problem is while Ketchel was a murderous puncher, Johnson was so much bigger he got up without a problem.
In the unlikely event of Mcgregor landed a similar shot on Floyd its more than possible he will knock him spark out and i cant see Floyd taking the so called fight if there's even the remotest chance that could happen. In the same way i cant see McGregor taking the fight if he is going to be made to look like a second rate idiot in boxing terms by Floyd. They will both know the score before it happens and both will leave the ring much richer with reputations in tact.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 15 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

Mcgregor isn't a boxer plain and simple he can't beat Floyd in a boxing match its a completely different kettle of fish likewise Floyd would get likely get beaten in a UFC fight

I don't really care for it, it'll make both of em a lot of money but it's a 1 sided fight if it's a Boxing fight and 1 sided if it's a UFC fight
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 Feb 2017, 2:17 pm

$100 for the PPV....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Feb 2017, 5:53 pm

This is a disgrace and a waste of time.
Cynical money making scam at it's worst.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 15 Feb 2017, 7:09 pm

no interest in this, they both bore me tears out of the ring and dont see the point of watching a fight where i know exactly whats going to happen.

but then fans these days seem more fussed about what goes on outside the ring than in it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:15 pm

This personifies Floyd, though. The ultimate cash grab.

Unfortunately, as a sporting event, it's Steve Davis vs Tom Cousins.

I still don't see any reason Mac doesn't boot him in the face when he finds himself four rounds down after four.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:55 am

... hope springs eternal

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 9:48 am

hazharrison wrote:This personifies Floyd, though. The ultimate cash grab.

I still don't see any reason Mac doesn't boot him in the face when he finds himself four rounds down after four.

This is what I keep saying to my mates (who are all UFC fans). There’s nothing to stop McGregor getting Floyd in a choke hold or something like that in the 12th round. He gets disqualified, so what, he’ll be back in the UFC 6 months later making millions again.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:31 am

If I were Floyd I would put a clause in the contract. Any intentional Disq from McGregor means he would lose half his earnings.

All you guys hoping McGregor wins. It would be funny, but it would make the sport a laughing stock.

Anyway Conor gets battered and pulled out after 8 rounds. If McGregor can't get his head away from Diaz punches, he hasn't a prayer of evading any from Floyd.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:49 am

Theres just zero chance McG wins. Zero. Anybody that thinks otherwise is deluded. MMA and particularly UFC is a young sport, from a commercial perspective at least. The UFC crowd are different than hardcore boxing fans and they just see these guys tearing shreds out of each other and looking brutal in the process. Compared to boxing where it's a much more measured affair in most cases. As we all know, boxing is as much about movement, footwork and timing as it is about being a puncher. MMA fans just can't see that so they go on about 'Connors left hand','Mayweathers never been hit with anything like it before', etc etc...But they will see it if this fight ever happens because Mayweather will make McG look silly.

McGregor wouldn't even get close to beating fringe contenders in boxing IMO. It's like organising a football match between Wigan Warriors V Man United, they may both play with a ball every week but you can't compare the two!

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:50 am

EX7EY wrote:Theres just zero chance McG wins. Zero. Anybody that thinks otherwise is deluded. MMA and particularly UFC is a young sport, from a commercial perspective at least. The UFC crowd are different than hardcore boxing fans and they just see these guys tearing shreds out of each other and looking brutal in the process. Compared to boxing where it's a much more measured affair in most cases. As we all know, boxing is as much about movement, footwork and timing as it is about being a puncher. MMA fans just can't see that so they go on about 'Connors left hand','Mayweathers never been hit with anything like it before', etc etc...But they will see it if this fight ever happens because Mayweather will make McG look silly.

McGregor wouldn't even get close to beating fringe contenders in boxing IMO. It's like organising a football match between Wigan Warriors V Man United, they may both play with a ball every week but you can't compare the two!

Nothing else needs said.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:01 pm

When you consider that 49 professional boxers, most of them world class professional boxers have hoped to land that 1 punch... only a mcdonut could think connor could be the one.

There's enough mcdonuts around to make them both a few dollars though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 16 Feb 2017, 1:20 pm

What could make it interesting is, does Floyd want to go the distance with an MMA guy. He has brittle hands, but I doubt he would fight again, so might just go looking for a stoppage.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

AdamT wrote:

If I were Floyd I would put a clause in the contract. Any intentional Disq from McGregor means he would lose half his earnings.

All you guys hoping McGregor wins. It would be funny, but it would make the sport a laughing stock.

Anyway Conor gets battered and pulled out after 8 rounds. If McGregor can't get his head away from Diaz punches, he hasn't a prayer of evading any from Floyd.

This will only last one round if Floyd allows it to.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 2:21 pm

milkyboy wrote:When you consider that 49 professional boxers, most of them world class professional boxers have hoped to land that 1 punch... only a mcdonut could think connor could be the one.

Really pushing mcdonut, eh?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:06 pm

emancipator wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Floyd lacks the size or power.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

EX7EY wrote:
rodders wrote:Floyd thinks it's all talk but when he wakes up with his nose splattered all over his face he'll know it's not all talk

That was a joke but actually yes I think there is a chance he does by KO...

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

rodders wrote:
EX7EY wrote:

Really??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:35 pm

You can get 5/4 to on Mayweather winning by KO which is good value for a 12 round fight. Im a big fan of McGregor in his MMA field but I cant see him lasting 12 boxing rounds purely from a fitness perspective, never mind being totally out of his depth in another sport. In MMA he starts to run out of steam after 2 or 3.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

catchweight wrote:You can get 5/4 to on Mayweather winning by KO which is good value for a 12 round fight. Im a big fan of McGregor in his MMA field but I cant see him lasting 12 boxing rounds purely from a fitness perspective, never mind being totally out of his depth in another sport. In MMA he starts to run out of steam after 2 or 3.

I agree and I think Floyd will let his hands go once Conor starts to fade. I think the corner will throw in the towel, or the ref will stop it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:52 pm

AdamT wrote:
emancipator wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Floyd lacks the size or power.  

He's got more than enough power to stop a boxing amateur in one round if wanted to. Probable TKO with McGregor seeing stars. Obviously he wouldn't do that - don't want to make it too obvious that it's a con job. McGregor is not a boxer in the boxing sense. He has good boxing skills for an MMA fighter - that's it. Have you seen the video of him sparring? Floyd is gonna land with everything he throws and can end this so called fight whenever he wants.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2017, 3:54 pm

AdamT wrote:
rodders wrote:
EX7EY wrote:

Really??

Zero chance. Or as close to as you can get in professional boxing. 49 real boxers have tried to knock him out and failed.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 16 Feb 2017, 4:31 pm

AdamT wrote:
rodders wrote:
EX7EY wrote:

Really??

Yes really, when was the last time Floyd fought someone with one punch KO power? In recent he's mostly he's faced pressure fighters who always struggle to land with enough clean shots.

McGregor will have a big size advantage too, although won't have the boxing kills to bully Floyd in close , I see him standing off and looking for a big counter and if he lands Floyd will know about it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 16 Feb 2017, 4:55 pm

rodders wrote:
AdamT wrote:
rodders wrote:
EX7EY wrote:

Really??

Yes really, when was the last time Floyd fought someone with one punch KO power? In recent he's mostly he's faced pressure fighters who always struggle to land with enough clean shots.

McGregor will have a big size advantage too, although won't have the boxing kills to bully Floyd in close , I see him standing off and looking for a big counter and if he lands Floyd will know about it.

LOL

I really do hope you're joking.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2017, 5:36 pm

rodders wrote:
AdamT wrote:
rodders wrote:
EX7EY wrote:

Really??

McGregor knocking out people in MMA with 4 ounce gloves or whatever it is they use is completely different to trying to do it against Floyd using 8-10 ounce gloves. I doubt he will even land one clean punch.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 16 Feb 2017, 6:26 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:When you consider that 49 professional boxers, most of them world class professional boxers have hoped to land that 1 punch... only a mcdonut could think connor could be the one.

Really pushing mcdonut, eh?

He who shouts loudest toppy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 16 Feb 2017, 7:41 pm

Mcdonut - for those times when a Flomo or Pactard just isn't enough

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 16 Feb 2017, 8:29 pm

Ali "fought" a farcical bout with Japanese kick boxer in 1976 who lay down in the centre of the ring and kicked the crap out of Ali's shins. I think the result was a draw and Ali spent time in Hospital having treatment on his shins.What did the Greatest prove by agreeing to do something like that?

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 16 Feb 2017, 8:53 pm

It was with Wrestler Antonio Inoki and is a proper bizarre story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQcium20Cdk

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/nov/11/the-forgotten-story-of-ali-inoki

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm

McGregor is a door-to-door salesman. He wouldn't sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, he'd sell you a lifetime's opportunity to paint it for him each and every year. And you'd resist for a while but he'd taunt you and tease you and challenge your manhood - and pretty soon, you'd pay him a few million for the privilege of painting a bridge for him that he doesn't own.

He's taunted and teased Mayweather and it seems he might finally have hit pay-dirt. That's all it's about with McGregor - making money, quickly. It doesn't matter if he's knocked out in a few seconds - if the fight is real, he's manufactured an 'impossible' fight and an unbelievable purse.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:14 am

I dont think Mayweather will mind the taunts. Its not him that needs convincing. I think hes delighted that McGregor has managed to almost single handedly manufacture him a whopper pay out for virtully no risk. If McGregor can sell the fight to the public, then Mayweather is fully on board.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next