The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smith vs Williams: Who Wins?

+10
Steffan
mobilemaster8
Herman Jaeger
Mr Bounce
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
BoxingFan88
AdamT
Derbymanc
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Liam Smith vs Liam Williams, Who Wins?

Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_lcap70%Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 7 ]
Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Empty Smith vs Williams: Who Wins?

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Off to Manchester to watch this one on Saturday. Who wins?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Smith vs Williams: Who Wins? - Page 2 Empty Re: Smith vs Williams: Who Wins?

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Apr 2017, 12:03 am

116-112

Based on that Flanagan loses to Crolla let alone Linares.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 09 Apr 2017, 12:38 am

Id say so too hammer. Really needs to step up his game. Might perform better in bigger fights

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 12:51 am

He loses to Beltrán, Crolla, Linares and Campbell based on tonight. Needs to buck up fast, but as mentioned, when the big fights come, he may perform.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 8:30 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:116-112

Based on that Flanagan loses to Crolla let alone Linares.

Wouldn't assume Crolla is the same fighter he was before Linares 2...It was the kind of fight that shortens a career...Wonderfully brave performance that it was..

Like to see Anthony retire but if he needs one last good payday if I was Hearn I'd look to make Crolla v Coyle maybe at 138 or something.

It's a good fight to see what Crolla has left and the crowd pleasing Coyle gets a payday and one last chance at the big lights.

Decent money for both..

Crolla v Campbell is a stretch after Linares.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:20 am

Real shame about that cut, the last few rounds would have been the best of the fight and eleveted the contest from a decent fight to a good one

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

Sadly, i was out last night and only saw the last seconds of the Butler fight and the Smith V Williams fight over people's shoulders in the pub.

Not taking away anything from Williams, who certainly was doing the better work and more active, but Smith looked very flat. Had the canelo fight/pre fight shenanigans effected him? He's typically quite a tight, competent performer.

That said, Williams looked to be slowing and Smith seemed to be getting more into the fight when it was stopped.

My confusion is, why didn't locket call the doc over for him to stop it?

It was a definite head butt so maybe a no contest would be more fair.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:47 am

Schoolboy error from Lockett

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:47 am

Has nobody seen the Lomachenko v Sosa fight. I'm dizzy lol

Seriously though, Lomachenko is fantastic.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:48 am

Or maybe Terry O'Connor ruled it was a punch

Don't know the facts

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:49 am

AdamT wrote:Has nobody seen the Lomachenko v Sosa fight. I'm dizzy lol

Seriously though, Lomachenko is fantastic.

Thanks, haven't seen it yet

I want to see him in with Garcia that's the one I want to see most of all even more so than Crawford

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:57 am

Winner to determine the best lightweight since Pea

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:58 am

Can Warren put up the money for big fights ?

Flanagan is off the public radar on Boxnation..

I don't see the big fights..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:01 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Winner to determine the best lightweight since Pea

Shane Mosley says Hi.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:03 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can Warren put up the money for big fights ?

This is the sole reason I don't understand the negativity towards Hearn, he has the platform and financial clout to make the big fights happen. He lets them stew a bit longer than i'd like but his fighters get well paid for challenging themselves.

Flanagan just made his fifth title defence which is more than any other current British boxer and nobody cares.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:06 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Winner to determine the best lightweight since Pea

Shane Mosley says Hi.

Good point, forgot about Shane

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:10 am

Yeh...Watched this earlier....It's like watching something out of the Matrix with Lomachenko. He is absolutely brilliant. Throws some fantastic right hooks...Lovely left...His movement is just mad. Really really quick and accurate. Hope the Garcia fight gets made, that would be FOTY.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:12 am

I'd like to see him fight Berchelt and Miura before stepping up, i'm not a fan of boxers skimming through divisions fighting in house.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can Warren put up the money for big fights ?

This is the sole reason I don't understand the negativity towards Hearn, he has the platform and financial clout to make the big fights happen. He lets them stew a bit longer than i'd like but his fighters get well paid for challenging themselves.

Flanagan just made his fifth title defence which is more than any other current British boxer and nobody cares.

This is going to be why GGG v BJS will struggle to get made..

BJS will want a decent split because he has WBO status....But he isn't worth a decent split because he only has a hard core following.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 09 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

There are a lot of things to like about Lomachenko. His movement is superb and technically he might be the best since Floyd retired.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 09 Apr 2017, 7:51 pm

Well, went to pick up my tickets yesterday (as competition "winner") and lo and behold, everyone in Manchester (and beyond) had won tickets, too! There wasn't one person in my row who'd paid for them. And despite massive giveaways the arena was barely 3/5 full.

Real shame for Williams, who was winning by a mile (even if the judges thought otherwise). Bizarre at the finish. Father Smith was offering someone outside from the ring. Paul Smith and Callum followed suit. And then two blocks (one Welsh, one Scouse) erupted (not sure if that was shown on TV?).

After a long day, it was tough to hang on for "Turbo" (we left before the finish when it became obvious it would be 12 rounds of the same fight). Why they put Adams on that late is a mystery. Jack Catterall looked good.

Last edited by hazharrison on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 09 Apr 2017, 7:52 pm

AdamT wrote:There are a lot of things to like about Lomachenko. His movement is superb and technically he might be the best since Floyd retired.

Thankfully, the new king of boxing is a lot easier on the eye. Simply mesmerising.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 8:28 pm

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:There are a lot of things to like about Lomachenko. His movement is superb and technically he might be the best since Floyd retired.

Thankfully, the new king of boxing is a lot easier on the eye. Simply mesmerising.

Pretty boy Floyd was like that as well

Heck it was only his last few fights where he just didn't have it anymore to really turn on the style

Loma was mesmerizing yesterday though, just in a different league altogether, think he is my new favourite fighter

I was very impressed with Gvozdyk, he has beaten Gonzalez and Chilemba in his last two fights now! He was landing so cleanly and so accurately, those uppercuts were absolutely savage

Great card

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 09 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Heck it was only his last few fights where he just didn't have it anymore to really turn on the style

Loma was mesmerizing yesterday though, just in a different league altogether, think he is my new favourite fighter

I was very impressed with Gvozdyk, he has beaten Gonzalez and Chilemba in his last two fights now! He was landing so cleanly and so accurately, those uppercuts were absolutely savage

Great card

Floyd was brilliant as a super feather. Let's hope Lomachenko doesn't move to welterweight and become a safety first, boring dick wad!

To be honest, Loma's skill-set is something else again. He's unlike anyone I've seen since Roy in terms of utterly dominating opponents with other-worldy skills.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

hazharrison wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Great card

Floyd was brilliant as a super feather. Let's hope Lomachenko doesn't move to welterweight and become a safety first, boring dick wad!

To be honest, Loma's skill-set is something else again. He's unlike anyone I've seen since Roy in terms of utterly dominating opponents with other-worldy skills.

The Roy Jones comparison is a very good one!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 09 Apr 2017, 8:51 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Great card

The Roy Jones comparison is a very good one!

While Roy banked on his freakish (ahem) athleticism, Lomachenko looks the better boxer. His judgement of timing, space and distance are incredible. Let's hope FW can bring him to the UK.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:31 pm

Liam Smith would have been a good fifteen round fighter in the old days he gets stronger in the later rounds

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 09 Apr 2017, 9:59 pm

Floyd was fantastic until he became a welter. All safety first then. It took a great opponent in Cotto and a rugged, Awkward Maidana to make the fights good watch.

Anyway Loma lets his hands go and throws combos from every angle. I don't mind him hanging around his division for a while, but I love the Garcia fight.

Though I think Lomachenko is technically brilliant, he shouldn't be losing to Salido, ever! He might of only turned pro officially, but he had perhaps the best amateur career ever and did he do some series fights, that are similar to pro?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm

Anyway for those that haven't seen it, go to youtube and watch the Sosa fight. Vasyl really was superb and throws plenty of punches.

Does anyone see Arum trying to persuade Pacquiao to come down to 140 and fight boxing's rising star? It could be like Manny V De la Hoya, only Manny's role would be reversed.

Lomachenko could really announce himself to the World if he beat Manny. Stranger things have happened, but would Manny move to 140? Unless for mega money I don't think so. However I do think Loma would jump two for Manny.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:28 pm

Manny can make too much fighting gimmes for now Horn Khan etc

I think Manny will fight Loma at 140 when he's near the end perhaps even his last fight

Garcia is the fight though now for Lomachenko really hope it can get made sooner rather than later

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Apr 2017, 10:31 pm

Manny against Lomachenko or Mikey Garcia at 40 would be a great way for Manny to sign out

Or against Thurman/Brook/Spence winner at 47

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 11:29 pm

Manny will fight these guys when the promoters think he is over the hill enough that they won't lose

Not a moment sooner

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 10 Apr 2017, 6:51 am

It would be a shame if Loma kept moving up. I'd like to see him forge a legacy at 130. They'll never be able to make the Garcia fight and what use is a WBO title win over Flanagan in the grand scheme of things?

He's a risk taker, though. He wants to be tested every time out. That's music to Arum's ears.

Hopefully they can make Salido next and then throw money at the likes of Corrales and Berchelt. If he can stay put, the Gervonta Davis fight could be big down the line (good luck persuading Floyd to take that one, though).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:19 am

I attended the Boxnation event on Saturday night and was fortunate/unfortunate enough to be sat with the block full of Welsh/Williams fans. I must say the atmosphere up until that point was a bit flat but the Welsh fans certainly made their voices heard. A mass brawl erupting at the end of the fight which seemed to last 10 minutes as well as the other scuffles later on certainly left me on edge for the rest of the evening. A Flanagan win in rounds 10-12 would have scooped me £800 but as soon as the opening 2/3 rounds were completed i knew we had a points decision on the way.

All in all thoroughly enjoyed myself despite being soaked with a few pints!
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 10 Apr 2017, 5:03 pm

ShockmasterV2 wrote:I attended the Boxnation event on Saturday night and was fortunate/unfortunate enough to be sat with the block full of Welsh/Williams fans. I must say the atmosphere up until that point was a bit flat but the Welsh fans certainly made their voices heard. A mass brawl erupting at the end of the fight which seemed to last 10 minutes as well as the other scuffles later on certainly left me on edge for the rest of the evening. A Flanagan win in rounds 10-12 would have scooped me £800 but as soon as the opening 2/3 rounds were completed i knew we had a points decision on the way.

All in all thoroughly enjoyed myself despite being soaked with a few pints!

Unlucky mate - we were in the adjacent section to the brawl. Looked a bit lively to say the least!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2