The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

+42
Welly
21st Century Schizoid Man
reallybored
Margin_Walker
sensisball
mikey_dragon
whocares
des
demosthenes
St John The Enforcer
R!skysports
Manky-Flanker
Mad for Chelsea
Eejit
TJ
Scottish White Line Fever
LordDowlais
Tattie Scones RRN
RossAnderson
Scottrf
Majestic83
nickj
cakeordeath
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Ozzy3213
MacKnocked-on
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
EST
BigGee
profitius
Anglobraveheart
George Carlin
highland_scot
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
46 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 4 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 19 May 2017, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 4 P12-gl10

Glasgow Warriors & Edinburgh

The Histories:

Guiness Pro 12
Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow Warriors

Edinburgh Rugby Highlights 2016/2017 vomit
Glasgow Warriors Pro 12 Highlights 2016/2017  Sorry

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by RDW Wed 31 May 2017, 3:57 pm

BigGee wrote:Nairn is going to Glasgow's academy next season and the good ship Douglas Fife has well and truly sailed as a 15s player.

The surprise really is that Jamie Farndale is not worth a crack. He has tried 15s though and did not really set the heather on fire when he had the opportunity, albeit he had some serious injury issues.

Maybe he, or a combination of himself and the coaching staff just feel he may be better suited to sevens. He does seem more of an athlete than a rugby player and seems very explosive in short bursts. Standing on the wing for Edinburgh may not float his boat any more.

This new guy is no more than a squad player, who may well do a decent job if called upon. I saw him play for LS and he scored a cracking try that day.

I am sure he is not daft though and knows that he is coming to a club where he won't get much if any game time nor get paid very much for the privilege. Truth is, not many decent wingers will be queuing up for that kind of opportunity. He probably sees it as his last chance to make the break through in professional rugby which is why he will do it.

Probably a better player than we are giving him credit for, but still unlikely to break through and will probably be a one season wonder.

A bit harsh given he was not long out of school and suffered a serious injury, followed by more injuries - but I agree with your sentiment.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by tigertattie Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:45 pm

From ABC news!

Dozens of small medical studies have shown that napping for about 30 minutes to an hour in the early afternoon increases a person's productivity, alertness and sometimes even their mood.

Still, unsanctioned napping — or to put it more precisely, "drowsiness" — on the job actually costs U.S. businesses $18 billion a year in lost productivity, according to a recent report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The findings raise the question of when it is acceptable for someone to take a quick nap, and when does it cross the line and become unacceptable.

In European countries such as Spain and in many Latin American countries, an afternoon siesta is, in fact, considered normal. Even local shops close in the afternoon for a couple of hours, when it's hard to get any business done.

In this tough economy, companies have actually begun clamping down on "napping." The Wall Street Journal recently cited a study by Circadian Technologies of Lexington, Mass. In the study, 52 percent of firms told researchers they had reprimanded or even suspended office-nappers. That's an increase of 38 percent from 2002.

But can naps do a worker good?

A 2002 Harvard University study showed that worker burnout set in as a day of training wore on. Workers performed increasingly poorly over the course of four daily practice sessions on a visual task that involved having subjects report the orientation of three diagonal bars against a background of horizontal bars on a computer screen.

But allowing subjects to take a 30-minute nap after the second session prevented further deterioration and a one-hour nap actually boosted performance in the third and fourth sessions back to normal levels, the study found.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 01 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm

Um, not sure how to follow that Tattie!!

The best thing about Harries is that my expectations are at Mike Penn levels, so he won't need to do much to impress me!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 01 Jun 2017, 5:16 pm

I was purely putting it out there as I really, really wanted to have a snooze on my desk
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 01 Jun 2017, 6:37 pm

tigertattie wrote:I was purely putting it out there as I really, really wanted to have a snooze on my desk

Oh the power of the preposition.

AT your desk; you'd probably get away with.

ON your desk; it's P45 time.

It's a bit like saying

Grant Gilchrist looks like a rugby player running with the ball.

Grant Gilchrist looks like a rugby player running after the ball.

One is nearly accurate, the other is nearly always true.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:28 pm

Gordy Reid is leaving Scotstoun. Sad

He's off to London Irish as they bolster their squad for next season.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:27 am

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:Gordy Reid is leaving Scotstoun. Sad

He's off to London Irish as they bolster their squad for next season.

Yup, he was one of the many unwashed who played their last game for the weedge in the manshaming that Edinburgh handed out to them!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:10 am

Noticed yesterday that the squad page on the Glasgow website has been updated with next season's players. None of the new signings seem to have been added, but interestingly there's no Blake, MacKenzie or Flynn. Vernon and Tagive look like they are staying. Not sure, why Paddy Kelly, Adam Nicol and Robbie Nairn aren't listed either. Unless they are just attached again. http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/glasgow-warriors-team

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:13 pm

nickj wrote:Noticed yesterday that the squad page on the Glasgow website has been updated with next season's players. None of the new signings seem to have been added, but interestingly there's no Blake, MacKenzie or Flynn. Vernon and Tagive look like they are staying. Not sure, why Paddy Kelly, Adam Nicol and Robbie Nairn aren't listed either. Unless they are just attached again.  http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/glasgow-warriors-team
Yeah, I think that they've just snapped the guys who were there for pre-season training this week.

We know that Flynn had already gone - a year early - family issues at home I think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:
nickj wrote:Noticed yesterday that the squad page on the Glasgow website has been updated with next season's players. None of the new signings seem to have been added, but interestingly there's no Blake, MacKenzie or Flynn. Vernon and Tagive look like they are staying. Not sure, why Paddy Kelly, Adam Nicol and Robbie Nairn aren't listed either. Unless they are just attached again.  http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/glasgow-warriors-team
Yeah, I think that they've just snapped the guys who were there for pre-season training this week.

We know that Flynn had already gone - a year early - family issues at home I think.

Think MacKenzie was seriously ill at the start of the year with meningitis. There was an article in the herald about him a month or so back saying he was back in new Zealand recuperating and trying to get back to full health. Mentioned he had dropped from about 100kg down to about 90kg but was hoping to get fit again and get another chance with Glasgow.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 02 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

I read that. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. Also hope the website hasn't been updated to includ the whole sqaud, as 35 looks pretty skinny

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 06 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

nickj wrote:I read that. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. Also hope the website hasn't been updated to includ the whole sqaud, as 35 looks pretty skinny

Said no one ever to Ben Atiga
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Jun 2017, 7:53 pm

Very nice George Horne compilation:
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:41 am

Seems to have a very low centre of gravity which makes him tricky to tackle.

Also rather rapid!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 07 Jun 2017, 12:41 pm

Ali Price and Pyrgos should be pretty nervous I think - I really wouldn't be surprised if he features heavily next season, a cracking wee player.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:46 am

European Pools are being announced this morning - Glasgow are likely to be bottom seeds so could end up with a horrible pool.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 08 Jun 2017, 11:40 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:European Pools are being announced this morning - Glasgow are likely to be bottom seeds so could end up with a horrible pool.

They'll be used to it! Any pool I've gone to in Glasgow has been horrible! And there's never any soap in the showers!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:06 pm

http://www.epcrugby.com/live-draw.php

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

Stade Francais
Edinburgh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:16 pm

Stade Francais
Edinburgh
London Irish

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:19 pm

Stade Francais
Edinburgh
London Irish
Krasny Yar (Russian team!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:21 pm

Decent pool for Edinburgh - the weakest 4th side (albeit a horrible trip to Russia) and London Irish will be focussed on surviving. Stade will be a challenge.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:41 pm

That's a good group, and a return to Murrayfield for Mike Coman's wife/girlfriend should draw the crowds....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:43 pm

Krasnoyarsk - a 12 hour flight away!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:44 pm

Glasgow have Exeter, Leinster, Montpellier.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:44 pm

Exeter
Leinster
Montpellier
Glasgow

Not actually too bad a pool - could have been a lot worse!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:49 pm

I love the reunion with Vern. Exeter and Lenister will be super tough too. But then again, there are no weak pools

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:51 pm

nickj wrote:I love the reunion with Vern. Exeter and Lenister will be super tough too. But then again, there are no weak pools

Except for the guaranteed 10 points from Treviso in pool 5 Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:52 pm

Yeah Pool 5 is a great opportunity for Scarlets or Bath to progress, assuming Toulon will walk it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:52 pm

Execeterr Very Happy Very Happy If I get down then it's a cider with ASBO. monkey

Ladyboys... chin I've never been to Dublin.

Montpellier, nah I'm too scared of Vern to go near that one.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

Never been to Dublin?? You need to change that jimbo! Great rugby city to visit guinness

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:Execeterr  Very Happy Very Happy  If I get down then it's a cider with ASBO. monkey

Just chatted to Asbo, he's planning a few road trips with his lad. Presumably up to Weegieville included
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 08 Jun 2017, 2:43 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Krasnoyarsk - a 12 hour flight away!

It's ok, Glove is putting on a supports bus!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:15 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Execeterr  Very Happy Very Happy  If I get down then it's a cider with ASBO. monkey

Just chatted to Asbo, he's planning a few road trips with his lad. Presumably up to Weegieville included

Good old ASBO. Tell him to get his ass back on here in time for IndyRef2.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:21 pm

nickj wrote:I love the reunion with Vern. Exeter and Lenister will be super tough too. But then again, there are no weak pools

Just noticed you're not far away from the big 1000th post - need to make it a good one!

Not that I can remember what my 20,000th was (although I'm sure it was something witty and intelligent)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:33 pm

Good god, do I really lurk without commenting that much. 20,000 posts! Is that billable?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:38 pm

I don't understand what enjoyment someone would get from lurking and not posting. I did this before and I think it brought Biggee out the woodwork:

If there are any lurkers out there come say hello - we don't bite and you'll enjoy it a lot more when you can tell everyone else why they're wrong and you're right!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 08 Jun 2017, 3:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't understand what enjoyment someone would get from lurking and not posting. I did this before and I think it brought Biggee out the woodwork:

If there are any lurkers out there come say hello - we don't bite and you'll enjoy it a lot more when you can tell everyone else why they're wrong and you're right!

Erse

nuff said
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 08 Jun 2017, 5:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't understand what enjoyment someone would get from lurking and not posting. I did this before and I think it brought Biggee out the woodwork:

I can't actually remember what stopped me lurking and brought me into the light, I don't think it was that though. All seems a long time ago now.

I think it is about wondering how you would fit in. I do look at some of the other forums, Glasgow Warriors for instance, but would never sign up for it, far to one eyed, as are most one club forums I would imagine. People (at least on the Scottish threads) don't seem to take themselves to seriously here and once I got that, was very happy to come aboard.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 08 Jun 2017, 5:32 pm

I go on the Edinburgh forum to pick arguments, primarily about Myerside and still mysterious Weir love in that takes place over there.  I agree with too many people here, whereas over there it's crazy.

EDIT:  When I say people I tend to mean folk on the Scotland orientated threads (club & international)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 5:52 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:I go on the Edinburgh forum to pick arguments, primarily about Myerside and still mysterious Weir love in that takes place over there.  I agree with too many people here, whereas over there it's crazy.

EDIT:  When I say people I tend to mean folk on the Scotland orientated threads (club & international)

I have noticed that! (I'm an infrequent lurker)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 08 Jun 2017, 5:59 pm

I didn't go on it for years, as it just wound me up. I've only gone back recently, but for my own mental health I may go back into exile.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RossAnderson Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:20 pm

But what if people don't like me and a nasty welsh poster starts picking on me!

In all seriousness though I often start to post then get an odd feeling like I'm interrupting someone else's conversation.

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:26 pm

RossAnderson wrote:

In all seriousness though I often start to post then get an odd feeling like I'm interrupting someone else's conversation.

Hug

Not at all - given the random gibberish sprouted on here I don't think anyone would notice!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 08 Jun 2017, 10:40 pm

RossAnderson wrote:

In all seriousness though I often start to post then get an odd feeling like I'm interrupting someone else's coenversation.

FES, often feels that; but then realises it's the voices in his head he's interrupting. Briefly.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 09 Jun 2017, 12:21 am

Eh? And me!!

Absolutely delighted with that draw.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 09 Jun 2017, 1:50 am

Ah, Mr Scones Very Happy young Bru has been asking if I'm going down as it were. I think I shall. I'm wondering if an apartment on airbnb might be a good idea.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 09 Jun 2017, 8:27 am

I'd offer you a spare bed Jimbo but they are all currently occupied by planned and unplanned children.

Plenty of options available though.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

Friday!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:37 am

Edinburgh announcing a new signing - from the build it up could be Fruean...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next