The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

+42
Welly
21st Century Schizoid Man
reallybored
Margin_Walker
sensisball
mikey_dragon
whocares
des
demosthenes
St John The Enforcer
R!skysports
Manky-Flanker
Mad for Chelsea
Eejit
TJ
Scottish White Line Fever
LordDowlais
Tattie Scones RRN
RossAnderson
Scottrf
Majestic83
nickj
cakeordeath
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Ozzy3213
MacKnocked-on
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
EST
BigGee
profitius
Anglobraveheart
George Carlin
highland_scot
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
46 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 6 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 19 May 2017, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 6 P12-gl10

Glasgow Warriors & Edinburgh

The Histories:

Guiness Pro 12
Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow Warriors

Edinburgh Rugby Highlights 2016/2017 vomit
Glasgow Warriors Pro 12 Highlights 2016/2017  Sorry

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by RDW Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:20 am

Sad news - Doddie Weir has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease

http://www.euanmacdonaldcentre.com/rugby-legend-joins-quest-to-tackle-mnd/

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by nickj Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

Horrible news. My Taid had it. All the best to Doddie and his family.

Doddie's always been one of my heroes. I'll never forget Bill's "Doddie Weir on the charge like a mad giraffe” line...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:52 am

Urgh, dreadful news. Sad
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:57 am

Think it's fair to say there's been an overwhelming response on Twitter - he's going to get a hell of a lot of support from the rugby community.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:59 am

Just read this, awful, awful news.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 20 Jun 2017, 1:29 pm

Dreadful , dreadful news. He was a great rugby player, should have been one of the Lions Test legends in South Africa. Always seemed a lovely man. Dreadful news.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Wed 21 Jun 2017, 4:26 am

So sad about Doddie. I've been lucky enough to meet the man a few times and it couldn't happen to a nicer person. I'm truly gutted for him.

On a more cheery note, did anyone notice the "all-scottish" scrum half battle in the Chiefs v Lions match? Finlay Christie vs Greig Laidlaw.

Red-haired Christie, 21, was born in Scotland and emigrated to NZ with his parents when aged 7.

It would be interesting to see if Dave Rennie tries to bring him over, but as always, we're not exactly short of 9s.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:03 am

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:So sad about Doddie. I've been lucky enough to meet the man a few times and it couldn't happen to a nicer person. I'm truly gutted for him.

On a more cheery note, did anyone notice the "all-scottish" scrum half battle in the Chiefs v Lions match? Finlay Christie vs Greig Laidlaw.

Red-haired Christie, 21, was born in Scotland and emigrated to NZ with his parents when aged 7.

It would be interesting to see if Dave Rennie tries to bring him over, but as always, we're not exactly short of 9s.

Strangely enough we dont seem short on anything at the moment, number 8s maybe or another lock...

1. Dickinson, Dell, Reid
2. Brown, Ford, McKinally
3. Nel, Fagerson, Berghen
4. Gray, Swinson, Gilchrist
5. Gray, Toolis
6. Barclay, Harley, Blake
7. Watson, Hardie, Ritchie
8. Wilson, Strauss Bradbury
9. Laidlaw, Price, SHC, Pyrgos, Kennedy
10. Russell, Weir, Hastings, Horne
11. Visser, Maitland, Hoyland
12. Taylor, Dunbar, Scott
13. Jones, Grigg, Bennett
14. Seymour, Kinghorn, Hughes
15. Hogg, Tonks, Jackson,

Add to that the likes of Darcy Graham, Calum Hunter Hill, Lewis Charmichael and a host of other promising U20s.

We are approaching something close to quite a deep player pool.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:So sad about Doddie. I've been lucky enough to meet the man a few times and it couldn't happen to a nicer person. I'm truly gutted for him.

Strangely enough we dont seem short on anything at the moment, number 8s maybe or another lock...

1. Dickinson, Dell, Reid
2. Brown, Ford, McKinally
3. Nel, Fagerson, Berghen
4. Gray, Swinson, Gilchrist
5. Gray, Toolis
6. Barclay, Harley, Blake
7. Watson, Hardie, Ritchie
8. Wilson, Strauss Bradbury
9. Laidlaw, Price, SHC, Pyrgos, Kennedy
10. Russell, Weir, Hastings, Horne
11. Visser, Maitland, Hoyland
12. Taylor, Dunbar, Scott
13. Jones, Grigg, Bennett
14. Seymour, Kinghorn, Hughes
15. Hogg, Tonks, Jackson,

Add to that the likes of Darcy Graham, Calum Hunter Hill, Lewis Charmichael and a host of other promising U20s.

We are approaching something close to quite a deep player pool.

Eddie Jones classes 3 genuine international class players in each position as good enough depth - I think we're not quite there yet! We certainly have 2 in most positions but not 3.

We don't even have an international class backup 10!

The fact that Hugh Blake and Jamie Ritchie are 3rd choice flankers in your list says it all.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:38 am

Going to post this here rather than incite a massive debate on the Fiji thread or on the first test thread.

Is anyone else finding it slightly more difficult to engage with the Lions on this tour?

Perhaps it's just me but the lack of Scottish involvement is making it much more difficult to stomach than previous years. It's perhaps because we actually have a number of players who haven't been given the benefit of the doubt in 50:50 selections (Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Watson, Barclay, Russell for example) and a "jobs for the boys" approach to selection in other areas. It was easier on the 2 previous tours when, even putting your most patriotic hat on, you probably couldn't argue that we deserved more tourists.

I'm resigned now to the very real prospect that we won't have a Scottish player start a test match for the Lions until 2021, barring a rash of injuries. I think we'll be struggling to even have one on the bench as obviously Laidlaw is rightly 3rd choice SH and Seymour will now likely be the last choice on the wing after Nowell's tries yesterday.

I must admit that we've had bad luck with injuries as Hogg and Nel would surely have started (or at least been in the test squad) had they been fit (Nel at the time of selection, I mean). I think Huw Jones would also have been in with a shout of making the squad but for his injury.

To compound that, Finn Russell is finally called up and isn't even given 10-15 minutes off the bench. I appreciate that that may be to do with the fact he played 80 minutes on Saturday, but there was very little point in calling him up over the likes of Sam Davies if the intention was for the boys on the bench to only get on if injury necessitated it.

I think we've suffered badly for not having a Scottish voice in the selection room, so I appreciate that it may be a case of "better the devil you know" from a coach's perspective. But from mine, it just all adds up to not feeling particularly representative of our ability or of the old ethos of being the British and Irish Lions.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:13 am

Scottish White Line Fever wrote:Going to post this here rather than incite a massive debate on the Fiji thread or on the first test thread.

Is anyone else finding it slightly more difficult to engage with the Lions on this tour?

Perhaps it's just me but the lack of Scottish involvement is making it much more difficult to stomach than previous years. It's perhaps because we actually have a number of players who haven't been given the benefit of the doubt in 50:50 selections (Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Watson, Barclay, Russell for example) and a "jobs for the boys" approach to selection in other areas.  It was easier on the 2 previous tours when, even putting your most patriotic hat on, you probably couldn't argue that we deserved more tourists.

I'm resigned now to the very real prospect that we won't have a Scottish player start a test match for the Lions until 2021, barring a rash of injuries. I think we'll be struggling to even have one on the bench as obviously Laidlaw is rightly 3rd choice SH and Seymour will now likely be the last choice on the wing after Nowell's tries yesterday.

I must admit that we've had bad luck with injuries as Hogg and Nel would surely have started (or at least been in the test squad) had they been fit (Nel at the time of selection, I mean). I think Huw Jones would also have been in with a shout of making the squad but for his injury.

To compound that, Finn Russell is finally called up and isn't even given 10-15 minutes off the bench. I appreciate that that may be to do with the fact he played 80 minutes on Saturday, but there was very little point in calling him up over the likes of Sam Davies if the intention was for the boys on the bench to only get on if injury necessitated it.

I think we've suffered badly for not having a Scottish voice in the selection room, so I appreciate that it may be a case of "better the devil you know" from a coach's perspective. But from mine, it just all adds up to not feeling particularly representative of our ability or of the old ethos of being the British and Irish Lions.

I was going to post something similar but I wasn't really wanting to drag others down who seem to be completely invested in it.

I feel like I am in a personal battle with Warren Gatland and he is doing everything in his power to alienate me, exclusively me from enjoying the tour.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:24 am

I was enjoying it but for some reason Hogg's injury suddenly made me switch and I ended up quite flat and neutral about the whole thing.  It was a similar feeling in 2013 - lots of excitement at the start but as the tour went on my interest dwindled. I remember i was moving flat on the day of the 3rd test in Aus and although I was listening on the radio I wasn't too engrossed.

Compare that to 2009 when I was absolutely hooked the whole way through - we had little representation that tour so it can't just be a Scottish thing!

Hogg's injury combined with the 6 late callups being kept on the bench and the inevitable strange test selections (AWJ, Warbuton, North) and I can see a familiar pattern happening.

I love the Lions and love the concept of the Lions - I'm working at home today and just watched the 1997 Living with Lions in the background. What a tour that was!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:35 am

That's a dan biggar bomb RDW, change that please because my work is bouncing it!!!!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:42 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:That's a dan biggar bomb RDW, change that please because my work is bouncing it!!!!
Rolling Eyes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm

thank you sweetie
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 21 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

The Lions has become tarnished by The Only Way is Gatland. I understand why Finn's gone to the tour, but I'd have preferred him to have stayed with Scotland.
i agree too that it isn't inspiring, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's a clear 3 - 0 whitewash to the AB's. I just hope our guys stay fit and well ready for the new season.  If we can get Al Dickinson back playing, the only long term injury that I can think of is Bennett.
Which means we should have good prep and availability for AI's and 6N. thumbsup

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 21 Jun 2017, 2:24 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:The Lions has become tarnished by The Only Way is Gatland. I understand why Finn's gone to the tour, but I'd have preferred him to have stayed with Scotland.
i agree too that it isn't inspiring, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's a clear 3 - 0 whitewash to the AB's. I just hope our guys stay fit and well ready for the new season.  If we can get Al Dickinson back playing, the only long term injury that I can think of is Bennett.
Which means we should have good prep and availability for AI's and 6N. thumbsup
Young Stormer Shug also picked up quite a nasty injury and will be out with his torn hamstring until January potentially.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed 21 Jun 2017, 8:01 pm

I spose that eases the glut of centres we have. But I'd prefer to have him as an option than not at all.
It still leaves us with Dunbar, Taylor, Scott, Horne and Grigg.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 21 Jun 2017, 8:59 pm

I think the expected return to fitness for Huw Jones was a bit less than that. The main problem is that he is contracted to play in the Currie Cup at the following on from the Super Rugby season. The thought was that he would come into fitness during that competition.

There was also talk that as he would miss a decent chunk of it that Western Provence might just cut their losses and release him to Glasgow a bit earlier.

Either way he should be fit for the AIs.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 22 Jun 2017, 1:34 pm

Spotted Favaro has gone to Stade - glad he's got himself a new club

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/top-14-20172018-transfer-wrap/

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:12 pm

I am completely neutral on the lions. It doesn't feel like "my team". When Scotland play the adrenaline flows and I get completely involved. Scotland are no longer part of the lions. Its been building for a long time with our best players being overlooked time and again. For sure in the last 20 years we have not deserved many - but we got less. This time? Its blatant. We beat wales well, we beat Ireland well. We are well above wales in the rankings. they got 12 players, We got 2.

Each individual decision can be explained for sure - but the totality is absurd. Watson was the best back row in the 6N. Russell the best 10 ( although he would need a team and tctics built around him)

Mediocre welshmen / out of form / injured went instead of Scots who outplayed them and who were in the form of their lives.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:55 pm

TJ, I tried, I really tried.
The next door neighbour invited me in to watch the game. i turned up with beer, snacks and my Lions jersey on. I tried. But I was glad the better team won.

Interestingly in the first half it took the AB's an average of 2.2 seconds to gwt the ball away from the tackle area. It too the Lions 4.7 seconds. That's what happens when you don't have a proper, scavenging on the floor 7. Like Watson, or Barclay or Tupiric.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 3:09 pm

TJ wrote:Scottish White Line Fever

I am completely neutral on the lions.  It doesn't feel like "my team".  When Scotland play the adrenaline flows and I get completely involved.  Scotland are no longer part of the lions.  Its been building for a long time with our best players being overlooked time and again.  For sure in the last 20 years we have not deserved many - but we got less.  This time?  Its blatant.  We beat wales well, we beat Ireland well.  We are well above wales in the rankings.  they got 12 players, We got 2.  

Each individual decision can be explained for sure - but the totality is absurd.  Watson was the best back row in the 6N.  Russell the best 10 ( although he would need a team and tctics built around him)

Mediocre welshmen / out of form / injured went instead of Scots who outplayed them and who were in the form of their lives.

Even Scottish Lions in "the best Lions in history" compleations are getting ignored. It's like the work of mighty mouse, Gordon Brown, Geech, Smith, Finlay Calder, Andy Irvine, Gavin & Scott Hastings never happened. We are truly in the wilderness in terms of the Lions. If our representation is just as paltry in 4 years time...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:35 pm

Callum Gibbins starts at 7 for the Hurricanes tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on before his move to Glasgow.

On a separate note, Dell and Bresler have signed new deals at Edinburgh. I wonder whether it would have been better for Dell to go elsewhere given that Edinburgh have Dickinson and Sutherland who may be ahead of him in the pecking order once they're both back to full fitness.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Jun 2017, 7:53 am

Scottish White Line Fever wrote:Callum Gibbins starts at 7 for the Hurricanes tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on before his move to Glasgow.
I have already posted on the match thread that I hope the 3 Glasgow players on the pitch don't get injured. 

This Lions thing is such a jamboree. A lot of people said months before the tests that the lack of creativity at 10, our lack of a cutting edge backline and lack of dynamism amongst the forwards will mean we are unlikely to win. When precisely these problems manifested themselves during the first test, what are we supposed to now say? 

Any criticism of Gatland or any player is automatically regarded as a lack of patriotism, lack of sportsmanship or a slight on an entirely nationality. Cannot wait until all of this crap is finished.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 27 Jun 2017, 8:17 am

George clap clap clap

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 8:45 am

Scottish White Line Fever wrote:Callum Gibbins starts at 7 for the Hurricanes tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on before his move to Glasgow.

On a separate note, Dell and Bresler have signed new deals at Edinburgh. I wonder whether it would have been better for Dell to go elsewhere given that Edinburgh have Dickinson and Sutherland who may be ahead of him in the pecking order once they're both back to full fitness.

To be fair 3 international class looseheads is a great position for a club to be in, and they will all get plenty gametime over the season due to injuries and international callups. Hopefully Cockerill will show more rotation than Solomons/Hodge did!

I also think Bresler signing is good news - fit and on form he's our best number 4 lock and brings plenty aggression and physicality that has been sorely lacking. Looking forward to him linking up with Toolis again.

We certainly have plenty locks now - and you can bet this is the season that we have very few injuries at lock - but is means we have cover at all times and can do some rotation.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:07 am

Gibbins scores!

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:13 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

To be fair 3 international class looseheads is a great position for a club to be in, and they will all get plenty gametime over the season due to injuries and international callups.  Hopefully Cockerill will show more rotation than Solomons/Hodge did!

I also think Bresler signing is good news - fit and on form he's our best number 4 lock and brings plenty aggression and physicality that has been sorely lacking. Looking forward to him linking up with Toolis again.

We certainly have plenty locks now - and you can bet this is the season that we have very few injuries at lock - but is means we have cover at all times and can do some rotation.

Absolutely, in no way am I saying saying Edinburgh shouldn't have offered a new contract. I was thinking more from Dell's perspective and from a Scotland perspective it might be better for him to be playing more minutes elsewhere. And fully agreed about Bresler.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:52 am

Losing Cosgrove was a blow but he was getting too good to be a 4th option and one of the 3 props ahead of him would have made more sense at Glasgow over sending him. McCallum is certainly a prospect at TH now and Edinburgh have 3 great options in Nel, Berghan and McCallum (Bryce will probably never develop into anything more than competent).

Edinburgh have potentially got a devastating pack and the right coach to get the most out of it. The backs on the other hand...I wonder how much of a hand Townsend could give as the man on high?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:24 am

Seen an interesting comment from someone I know who was at the Lions match. Apparently Russell went over to the coaches around the 70 minute mark, spoke to them, then disappeared down the tunnel.

1. He was either injured/ill
2. Was asking if he was getting on.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:29 am

Hopefully he packed his kit bag and headed to the airport while he was there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:25 pm

cakeordeath wrote:Seen an interesting comment from someone I know who was at the Lions match. Apparently Russell went over to the coaches around the 70 minute mark, spoke to them, then disappeared down the tunnel.

1. He was either injured/ill
2. Was asking if he was getting on.

Erm

Finn must be mount everestly pissed off.

I've already said on the Lions thread I genuinely feel sorry for some of the Welsh posters. In 2 weeks time Gatland will probably never be in charge of a team I care about ever again.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:16 pm

Well what did Finn expect? Priestland was seen as too much of a maverick for Wales by Howley (according to a friend who met him at a bbq while Howley was drunk) and he was disliked for that reason. Russell is more talented and way more unpredictable. No way is he going to be trusted.

It suits Scotland in a way though as he does not take too much risk in getting hurt and forced Townsend to look at his other options against Fiji. Jackson may have earned the back-up spot for now.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:47 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Well what did Finn expect? Priestland was seen as too much of a maverick for Wales by Howley (according to a friend who met him at a bbq while Howley was drunk) and he was disliked for that reason. Russell is more talented and way more unpredictable. No way is he going to be trusted.

It suits Scotland in a way though as he does not take too much risk in getting hurt and forced Townsend to look at his other options against Fiji. Jackson may have earned the back-up spot for now.

Ah, Hazel. You were talking so much good sense, right up until you weren't. picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:48 pm

Nice neutral arcticle from the BBC - singing North's praises for an easy run in try while giving Seymour a small mention at the end saying it is probably his last game and that he hasn't troubled the Test selection!

Wingers on form

George North
George North scored his first try of the 2017 Lions tour against the Hurricanes
There were also gains to be made by the likes of George North, perhaps a surprise omission from the first Test squad in Auckland.

The Welshman crossed for a classic winger's try, despite playing much of the game in the centre following an early injury to Robbie Henshaw.

Forced into a partnership at inside centre with Jonathan Joseph outside him, North popped up on Henderson's shoulder in the first half and accelerated away from the cover defence for his first try of the tour.

He could have had two tries, but for a foot in touch. It was a positive audition from a player out of position, whose explosive power and ability to make yards beyond the tackle could be used by Gatland on Saturday.

Scotland winger Seymour, despite not being a real threat to the Test team, also profited in Wellington in what was probably his final game in a Lions shirt in New Zealand.

After a mixed few weeks, his double on Tuesday means he is now the leading try scorer on the 2017 tour.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:11 pm

Haha. North could have had two tries but for a foot in touch, and could be used by Gatland on Saturday. Seymour had two tries, probably his final game in a Lions shirt.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:13 pm

Don't worry I've tweeted my outrage - that will change Gatland's mind....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Nice neutral arcticle from the BBC - singing North's praises for an easy run in try while giving Seymour a small mention at the end saying it is probably his last game and that he hasn't troubled the Test selection!

Wingers on form

George North
George North scored his first try of the 2017 Lions tour against the Hurricanes
There were also gains to be made by the likes of George North, perhaps a surprise omission from the first Test squad in Auckland.

The Welshman crossed for a classic winger's try, despite playing much of the game in the centre following an early injury to Robbie Henshaw.

Forced into a partnership at inside centre with Jonathan Joseph outside him, North popped up on Henderson's shoulder in the first half and accelerated away from the cover defence for his first try of the tour.

He could have had two tries, but for a foot in touch. It was a positive audition from a player out of position, whose explosive power and ability to make yards beyond the tackle could be used by Gatland on Saturday.

Scotland winger Seymour, despite not being a real threat to the Test team, also profited in Wellington in what was probably his final game in a Lions shirt in New Zealand.

After a mixed few weeks, his double on Tuesday means he is now the leading try scorer on the 2017 tour.

Ha! I expressed my disappointment at this as well before I'd seen you post this. Top try scorer and yet gets relegated to a couple of lines, most of which suggests he's on his way home. Likely true sadly, but poor from the BBC

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:19 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Well what did Finn expect? Priestland was seen as too much of a maverick for Wales by Howley (according to a friend who met him at a bbq while Howley was drunk) and he was disliked for that reason. Russell is more talented and way more unpredictable. No way is he going to be trusted.

Ah, Hazel. You were talking so much good sense, right up until you weren't. picard

Hey...sanity is frowned upon on these threads

Besides Horne has not done much at this moment in time. We really need at least one of Hastings, Eastgate or Hutchison to kick on. Are there any other young (under 22) fly halves who are SQ'd and have potential?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:21 pm

Is Ihaia West not SQ? He's played for the Maori which might make him NZQ however...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Is Ihaia West not SQ? He's played for the Maori which might make him NZQ however...

I don't think there was ever any basis for that rumour other than the fact he was pale and ginger. Anyway aren't the AB U20s their second team (although he's played for them too...)? Maitland played for the Maori did he not?

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

highland_scot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Is Ihaia West not SQ? He's played for the Maori which might make him NZQ however...

I don't think there was ever any basis for that rumour other than the fact he was pale and ginger. Anyway aren't the AB U20s their second team (although he's played for them too...)? Maitland played for the Maori did he not?

Good enough for me - makes him more Scottish than Visser! I hear he drinks Irn Bru and watched Braveheart once too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:33 pm

highland_scot wrote:

NZ's official 2nd team is the Junior ABs (formerly known as NZ A). They haven't played a match since 2009, as the Maori tend to get given their fixtures. So effectively NZ doesn't have a 2nd team
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:34 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

NZ's official 2nd team is the Junior ABs (formerly known as NZ A). They haven't played a match since 2009, as the Maori tend to get given their fixtures. So effectively NZ doesn't have a 2nd team

Good to know. Do you know any good 10s with a Scottish Granny??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:35 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

There's Marty McKenzie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:41 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Or average? We'd settle for average right now.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:42 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Or average? We'd settle for average right now.

Personally I'd settle for better than Jackson or Horne!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

There's Marty McKenzie

Was he not in Back to the Future? Tumbleweed

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 27 Jun 2017, 5:06 pm

highland_scot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

There's Marty McKenzie

Was he not in Back to the Future? Tumbleweed

Time travel could be useful for a #10 Wink

I'm afraid we done went and capped Damien McKenzie mind
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next