The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease

+11
Exiledinborders
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RiscaGame
George Carlin
Hood83
mikey_dragon
tigertattie
jimbopip
RuggerRadge2611
TrailApe
No9
15 posters

Go down

Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease Empty Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease

Post by No9 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm

Words aren't enough... Shows we are all human and even the toughest of us aren't invincible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40340310

All the best Doddie... keep on fighting. clap

No9

Back to top Go down

Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease Empty Re: Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease

Post by TrailApe Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:40 pm

Newcastle Falcons will stand shoulder to shoulder with Doddie Weir, following the announcement that the Scotland and British and Irish Lion has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Weir, who made 97 appearances for the Falcons over a glittering career that also earned 61 Scotland caps and three Lions appearances, made the announcement ahead of Global MND Awareness Day on June 21.

Newcastle Rugby Ltd places on record it will offer any and all assistance requested and required to Doddie, his family and friends.

Hopefully get a preseason game organised with one of the Scottish sides (or a Borders XV) to raise some cash for the cause.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease Empty Re: Doddie Weir diagnosed with motor neurone disease

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm

It is absolutely hideous news. Sad
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 20 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

The synchronicity of these things is always shocking. The bbc website carried a feature in the filming of Living With Lions and I sat happily remembering watching it: my daughter kept asking to see the clips of Doddie because he was "so funny and nice". watching him lying there being told his tour was over and trying to put a brave face on it was always moving.
Then to log on at lunchtime and read this horrible, horrible news is heartbreaking.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 20 Jun 2017, 4:19 pm

Scotland and South Africa should play an international match with the proceeds going to research!

Gutting news!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 20 Jun 2017, 4:36 pm

tigertattie wrote:Scotland and South Africa should play an international match with the proceeds going to research!

Gutting news!

A match was played between 1-2 months ago at Risca RFC with the proceeds going to MND research. It was a good turnout and Huw Bennett featured for the Crandon XV I believe. I don't think Scotland or SA could fit it in with their international schedule; perhaps a Scotland and SA XV could? Unless there is already a planned fixture between the two teams, then some of the proceeds could go MND research.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 4:39 pm

tigertattie wrote:Scotland and South Africa should play an international match with the proceeds going to research!

Gutting news!

Brilliant idea... clap

Pity Scotland not playing the Boks in the Autumn... But could work, if they played them instead of Australia (as Boks not playing that weekend - that I can see), and then Scot could play Aus 2nd Dec...

Wont happen, but would be a fitting tribute to Doddie and Joost...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 7:53 pm

jimbopip wrote:The synchronicity of these things is always shocking. The bbc website carried a feature in the filming of Living With Lions and I sat happily remembering watching it: my daughter kept asking to see the clips of Doddie because he was "so funny and nice". watching him lying there being told his tour was over and trying to put a brave face on it was always moving.
Then to log on at lunchtime and read this horrible, horrible news is heartbreaking.

I too watched this and thought the same. Awful, crappy news.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jun 2017, 8:08 pm

Terrible news. Not only one of my favourite Scottish players but perhaps one of my favourite Scotsmen of all time! Such a likeable bloke.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 20 Jun 2017, 8:12 pm

Appalling. He will have the support of everyone in this sporting community.
Rugby people are the best of people.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 20 Jun 2017, 8:47 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Gutting news!

A match was played between 1-2 months ago at Risca RFC with the proceeds going to MND research. It was a good turnout and Huw Bennett featured for the Crandon XV I believe. I don't think Scotland or SA could fit it in with their international schedule; perhaps a Scotland and SA XV could? Unless there is already a planned fixture between the two teams, then some of the proceeds could go MND research.

Yes, Huw Bennett played for the Crandon XV (as Natalie was his cousin) and the Joost XV had some fairly well known players too. Some like Paul Griffen were great value post match.

Gutted by this news though. MND has been fresh in my mind thanks to the anniversary of Natalie's passing and this game and so to hear of somebody else suffer from this awful disease is very sad. Particularly somebody I was such a fan of because of the Living With Lions dvd and of course the tartan trews.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 20 Jun 2017, 8:59 pm

Horrible news, Doddie is such a big character in Scottish and Lions rugby, such a cruel disease Sad

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 20 Jun 2017, 9:11 pm

A real shame. We can all remember the quiet dignity with which he dealt with his Lions injury. It is a mark of the man that he is using his fame to raise money for others.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 20 Jun 2017, 9:44 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Gutting news!

Yes, Huw Bennett played for the Crandon XV (as Natalie was his cousin) and the Joost XV had some fairly well known players too. Some like Paul Griffen were great value post match.

Gutted by this news though. MND has been fresh in my mind thanks to the anniversary of Natalie's passing and this game and so to hear of somebody else suffer from this awful disease is very sad. Particularly somebody I was such a fan of because of the Living With Lions dvd and of course the tartan trews.

That's correct, I knew Tomos was Huw's cousin but I wasn't sure which side of the family. Very sad news about Natalie and I feel for Tom (the only family member I know well) who still struggles with it; it was inspiring to see him put his heart and soul into the event though. Did you play in the team or spectate?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 20 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

All the best to Doddie and his family by the way, the rugby world stands with you.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 20 Jun 2017, 10:34 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Gutting news!

That's correct, I knew Tomos was Huw's cousin but I wasn't sure which side of the family. Very sad news about Natalie and I feel for Tom (the only family member I know well) who still struggles with it; it was inspiring to see him put his heart and soul into the event though. Did you play in the team or spectate?

I didn't do either, as I was away for it sadly. I bought one of the shirts though and my father went. The bar queue was apparently six deep, so they had a great turn out. I play with Tom and Ryan his brother. Both good lads. Well Tom is trying to do more coaching now, but has had to play 9/10 a few times for the Athletic Very Happy

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 14 Dec 2019, 2:22 pm

Just watched the Doddie Wier - The Last Try,

Amazing man, £4M raised for MND research so far.

Goal in life - to make it to July 2020 for his 50th birthday.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 Dec 2019, 7:39 pm

Just watching him on Sports Personality of the Year.

So humbling. So impressive.

Can only wish him, his family and foundation well.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 16 Dec 2019, 8:42 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Just watched the Doddie Wier - The Last Try,

Amazing man, £4M raised for MND research so far.

Goal in life - to make it to July 2020 for his 50th birthday.

I watched that on Saturday. He’s a great character.
Let’s hope he reaches his goal.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Dec 2019, 9:27 am

He was definitely the highlight of the show and has really pushed himself beyond the rugby realm and into the wider UK public's mind - BBC Breakfast this morning was talking a lot about him.

Those that have followed him closely over the last few years were pretty shocked to see how badly he's regressed lately - his arms and hands are pretty much useless now. Was great that he was able to walk up to get his award however.

He's got a real difficult year ahead of him - really got to feel for him and his family.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 16 Dec 2019, 9:43 am

The video where his wife was speaking, was a very hard watch.
Top man. So very brave. Horrible disease.

Last edited by RiscaGame on Tue 17 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 17 Dec 2019, 12:46 pm

That is the great thing about rugby, no matter how much we bicker on here at the end of the day when some awful like MND happens we all come together as one family. The only sport I can think of that does this.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down