The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

+29
Allty
Rugby Fan
Biltong
Eejit
Cyril
Dontheman2
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
Pie
Luckless Pedestrian
Brendan
Mad for Chelsea
demosthenes
IanBru
tigertattie
munkian
reallybored
George Carlin
RDW
mikey_dragon
Artful_Dodger
BamBam
BigGee
RiscaGame
LondonTiger
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
bsando
33 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup Empty Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Sun 28 Oct 2018, 11:02 am

WALES vs SCOTLAND

Saturday the 3rd of November 2018

Principality Stadium, Cardiff Wales

KO: 14:45

This game will be the first occasion when a newly created 'Doddie Weir Cup' will be played for - donated by the Welsh Rugby Union, the trophy will continue to be at stake when the two sides meet in future similar circumstances.

In June 2017 former Scotland international and British & Irish Lion Doddie Weir revealed he was suffering from Motor Neurone Disease and, from the outset, has been driven to help fellow sufferers and seek ways to further research into the, as yet, incurable disease.

Doddie and his Trustees launched the registered charity 'My Name'5 Doddie Foundation' and a series of Welsh rugby initiatives over the course of the weekend will raise money for the foundation and bring Scottish and Welsh rugby communities together.

https://www.myname5doddie.co.uk/

Wales Team
1. Nicky Smith (21 Caps) 2. Ken Owens (57 Caps) 3. Dillon Lewis (5 Caps) 4. Cory Hill (18 Caps) 5. Alun Wyn Jones (117 Caps) (CAPT) 6. Dan Lydiate (62 Caps) 7. Justin Tipuric (57 Caps) 8. Ross Moriarty (23 Caps) 9. Gareth Davies (33 Davies) 10. Gareth Anscombe (18 Caps)11. Luke Morgan (*UNCAPPED) 12. Hadleigh Parkes (8 Caps) 13. Jonathan Davies (65 Caps) 14. George North (76 Caps) 15. Leigh Halfpenny (78 Caps)

Replacements: 16. Elliot Dee (10 Caps) 17. Rob Evans (27 Caps) 18. Leon Brown (3 Caps) 19. Adam Beard (4 Caps) 20. Aaron Wainwright (1 Cap) 21. Tomos Williams (2 Caps) 22. Jarrod Evans (UNCAPPED) 23. Steff Evans (10 Caps)

Scotland Team
Kinghorn (Edinburgh); Seymour, H Jones, Dunbar, L Jones; Hastings, Price (all Glasgow); Dell, McInally (capt), Nel, Toolis (all Edinburgh), Gray (Glasgow), Ritchie, Watson (both Edinburgh), Wilson (Glasgow).

Replacements: Brown, Allan (both Glasgow), Berghan, Gilchrist (both Edinburgh), Fagerson, G Horne, P Horne (all Glasgow), Graham (Edinburgh).

Last edited by bsando on Thu 01 Nov 2018, 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 28 Oct 2018, 11:21 am

Let’s be honest, this game shouldn’t be happening. We don’t need to be shoehorning extra games into the international schedule.

It is difficult to complain too much given that it is being used to raise awareness for Doddie, although it would be better all round if some of the ticket money was actually being used towards MND research rather than relying on people’s generosity on top of what will already be an expensive day out for most fans.

However all that aside I hope it is a wonderful occasion for Doddie and family and that it manages to raise some well needed funds for research

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Sun 28 Oct 2018, 11:39 am

Yeah I see where you're coming from Lama, all valid points. After the 6N whipping we received in Cardiff earlier this year this is an opportunity to settle a recent embarrassment (I hope!). 6N is always going to be the match that matters most but Wales vs Scotland is a great rivalry that has become much more fiercely contested in recent years. This will also be the first time Scotland play 4 tests instead of the usual 3 so it makes things a little more interesting for us Scottish fans. As this is world cup I think this is a good time to have an extra test for both sides to allow players to stake a claim heading into the 6N.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 28 Oct 2018, 1:06 pm

I don't think this game should be being played either.  Neither side will have full teams ( do wales have any exiles who are in the squad?) and there are too many games played.  International callups damage the club sides as well

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 28 Oct 2018, 3:15 pm

TJ wrote:I don't think this game should be being played either.  Neither side will have full teams ( do wales have any exiles who are in the squad?) and there are too many games played.  International callups damage the club sides as well

Francis, Biggar, Adams, Holmes and Liam Williams will be absent.

For Scotland I have read that Scarlets will not release Thomson. Not sure about Reid as LI are outside the GP but in PRL. 
Denton, Skinner, Harris, Maitland and McGuigan will not be released. Laidlaw and Russell may not be released.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 28 Oct 2018, 5:51 pm

I know there is a bit of a stink that no proceeds from the game are going to the foundation, but there is a benefit dinner taking place. I have a feeling that both unions may feel obliged to donate now. Kind of a tricky one to call, as part of me would like to have seen them donate but then when you read things like about the dinner and the fact they will probably do other things to raise awareness, it’s difficult to decide which side of the fence I’m on now.

With regards to the game, I’m never really in favour of an extra international, especially when it sees our pro teams weakened outside of the window. The only definite miss for Wales is Liam Williams, as the others can be replaced fairly easily (even Francis).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 28 Oct 2018, 6:04 pm

The SRU seem to be sticking to their guns and not planning on putting it's hand in the pocket. They are however getting a very bad press about it, some of the leading rugby jounos are leading the charge and it is not going to be a popular decision if they are not seen to give anything.

They should wake up and smell the coffee really, they can afford to make a gesture and they should and it won't go down well if they don't. No-one is expecting them to mortgage Murrayfield but a gesture would be appreciated. I am sure that most of us going to the match will make a donation, so should they!

If they are not careful then this whole matter will end up overshadowing the match and the occasion!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 28 Oct 2018, 6:08 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
TJ wrote:I don't think this game should be being played either.  Neither side will have full teams ( do wales have any exiles who are in the squad?) and there are too many games played.  International callups damage the club sides as well

Francis, Biggar, Adams, Holmes and Liam Williams will be absent.

For Scotland I have read that Scarlets will not release Thomson. Not sure about Reid as LI are outside the GP but in PRL. 
Denton, Skinner, Harris, Maitland and McGuigan will not be released. Laidlaw and Russell may not be released.

I don't think Scotland are expecting to play any players based outside Scotland for this game. Fortunately we just about have the depth to deal with that now and will still get out a pretty competitive team.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 28 Oct 2018, 6:45 pm

I think using the goodwill supporters will have for Doddie to sell the game given its odd position in the calendar, but not making any donation from tickets is pretty awful, regardless of the dinner etc

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 28 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/doddie-weir-s-charity-will-get-no-money-from-tribute-match-qgxvdmvtx?fbclid=IwAR3sw_tuyxjEYsXQAKrs4_ldvLXyP4odwfbZLMZThWF1BUBmYRrSC8UwkwU

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 28 Oct 2018, 9:44 pm

Wales are without England based players, not great as I think that’s where some of our best backs are. I think we’ll miss Shingler and Navidi the most. Knowing that Scotland have some guys unavailable is reassuring. If Gatland isn’t back in time and dumb & dumber take charge then Scotland will win quite easily.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Oct 2018, 9:09 am

I'm similarly in two minds about the charity aspect - it doesn't look good to be making a big deal about the Doddie Weir cup and not donating anything, but then again I'm sure a lot of money will be raised this weekend regardless. Money that would not have been raised if this game wasn't being played.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Oct 2018, 9:11 am

Is it a full cap international? With Word Rugby ranking points and all that malarkey?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Oct 2018, 9:13 am

A good question GC - all of the other 4th AIs are so I don't see why it wouldn't be? These days the only non-capped internationals tend to be Barbarians games and the like.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Oct 2018, 6:15 pm

So with the chopping and changes in the squad due to the injuries, how do we think that might effect the team?

I still think the availability of players will be the determining factor. Here is my stab at the team:

Dell
McInally
Nel
Gray
Gilchrist
Ritchie
Watson
Wilson
Price
Hastings
Jones L
Dunbar (Johnson and Scott are out)
Jones H
Seymour
Kinghorn

Allen
Brown
McCallam (Begrs still not quite firing)
Toolis (unlucky not to start)
Fagerson (also unlucky not to start on current form)
Horne G (on fire last weekend)
Horne P (last man standing for 10/12, still not playing great)
Graham (Fife just played himself out of the team, Graham the winger on form)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Oct 2018, 6:18 pm

I think you're spot on biggee. But remembering who is selecting the team you're also probably way off! 

I wonder if we'll see Fagerson at 8 with Ritchie on the bench - he's been superb lately.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Oct 2018, 6:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think you're spot on biggee. But remembering who is selecting the team you're also probably way off! 

I wonder if we'll see Fagerson at 8 with Ritchie on the bench - he's been superb lately.

He deserves it and I think he will start at least one game in the series, but starting last weekend probably means that Toonie has other plans. To be fair, Ritchie has also been playing very well.

Still as you say, it is a dangerous game to try and second guess GT.

Amazing to think that over the summer we were all saying that MF did not look ready for international rugby and next years WC. We may all end up being wrong on that one!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Oct 2018, 8:04 pm

It finally looks like the WRU and the SRU have belatededly woken up to fans feelings about the game.

The latest talk is that they will now match any sum raised at the ground on the day. That seems a very fair arrangement and I will put my money in the box with added enthusiasm if that is truly the case!

Such a shame that they needed to be pushed so hard to do this though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 29 Oct 2018, 8:44 pm

Big fan of Ritchie, such a smart player who always has an influence on the game, been unlucky not to get more starts at Edinburgh but with Blade Thomson waiting in the wings, will need to have a stormer to stay in the team.

Graham definitely deserves to be involved ahead of Fife, possible bolter for the RWC squad.

Shame that Scott picked up an injury, he's been the form 12 this season but at least Dunbar is fit.

For me, the most interesting and critical position for Townsend to resolve is loose-head, there's plenty of depth but no real stand-out.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Oct 2018, 8:59 pm

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/10/29/scottish-rugby-and-wru-team-support-my-name5-doddie-foundation

Well finally confirmation that the two unions will put their hands in the pocket. Still a bit vague on details, but I guess we should be pleased that they have reluctantly bowed to public opinion and will get themselves on the score sheet. A 6 figure sum I guess is not to be sniffed at and I am sure that a lot more will be raised on the day by the generosity of the paying fans!

Still wish it had been given a bit more willingly!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 30 Oct 2018, 5:37 am

BigGee wrote:So with the chopping and changes in the squad due to the injuries, how do we think that might effect the team?

I still think the availability of players will be the determining factor. Here is my stab at the team:

Dell
McInally
Nel
Gray
Gilchrist
Ritchie
Watson
Wilson
Price
Hastings
Jones L
Dunbar (Johnson and Scott are out)
Jones H
Seymour
Kinghorn

Allen
Brown
McCallam (Begrs still not quite firing)
Toolis (unlucky not to start)
Fagerson (also unlucky not to start on current form)
Horne G (on fire last weekend)
Horne P (last man standing for 10/12, still not playing great)
Graham (Fife just played himself out of the team, Graham the winger on form)
That is a decent team which will definitely be competitive.

Amazing to see young Adam Hastings in the box seat against Wales. I remember his dad playing very clearly.

Bit quiet from the Welsh fans on this thread? Whom do you think will be chosen for Wales? What are the major holes which come from the Exiles not being available?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Oct 2018, 8:12 am

I'm not sure who they'll go with ( they can Poopie off with players out of position) but here's mine

Rob Evans
Ken Owens
Samson Lee
Cory Hill
AWJ
Wainwright
Jenkins
Moriarty
Davies
Anscombe
North
HP
JD2
Luke Morgan
HalfPence

I don't think there are huge holes to fill to be honest, we've done well to get a lot of our top players back in Wales.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2018, 8:30 am

Will Dan Biggar still be first choice in the Autumn Tests? He's not been great for Northampton.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Oct 2018, 8:33 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Will Dan Biggar still be first choice in the Autumn Tests? He's not been great for Northampton.

I say give Anscombe a run if Patchell is still injured.

Saying that Gatland has picked Lydiate so Biggar may get a run.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

Biggar won't play this match, Saints won't release him surely. They got a big fine from the league for releasing North out of the window before.

Anscombe was in cracking form in the two euro games, my money would be on him at 10.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2018, 9:10 am

I know they won't release him this match - my query was regarding the AI series in general.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Oct 2018, 9:15 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I know they won't release him this match - my query was regarding the AI series in general.

I hope not, at least not starting anyway.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 30 Oct 2018, 10:52 am

munkian wrote:I'm not sure who they'll go with ( they can Poopie off with players out of position) but here's mine

Rob Evans
Ken Owens
Samson Lee
Cory Hill
AWJ
Wainwright
Jenkins
Moriarty
Davies
Anscombe
North
HP
JD2
Luke Morgan
HalfPence

I don't think there are huge holes to fill to be honest, we've done well to get a lot of our top players back in Wales.

I assumed similar, bar Tipuric and Jenkins on the flanks.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Oct 2018, 11:04 am

RiscaGame wrote:
munkian wrote:I'm not sure who they'll go with ( they can Poopie off with players out of position) but here's mine

Rob Evans
Ken Owens
Samson Lee
Cory Hill
AWJ
Wainwright
Jenkins
Moriarty
Davies
Anscombe
North
HP
JD2
Luke Morgan
HalfPence

I assumed similar, bar Tipuric and Jenkins on the flanks.

I wasn't expecting McBride to pick on form
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 30 Oct 2018, 11:58 am

Ha. Fair point. Be Lydiate then Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 30 Oct 2018, 1:13 pm

Think there's a few things that need clarified.

1. This game was arranged (before the Doddie Cup was announced) as an extra international in the season leading up to the World cup as an opportunity for both nations to try new things/players.

2. The game is being played outside the international window as it’s a “world cup warm up game” so clubs don’t have to release players. This means that both sides can put in fringe players in what is a development game

3. The Welsh Rugby Union then said they’d like to donate a trophy to be played for between the two sides every time they play, as this is the first time they meet since the kind gesture, the trophy will be played for.

4. The Match is not a charity match for Doddie’s charity, it’s only that there is a trophy with his name on it (and will be forevermore)

5. Both unions had the match scheduled in before the Doddie Trophy was donated (and will be played for) and made it clear form the outset that proceeds from the game will not go to Doddie’s foundation. Likewise, every year afterwards (in the 6Ns) when the trophy is contested, ticket money won’t be donated.

6. Both Unions have come forward to say that they will donate (not determined by ticket sales) a sum of money to Doddie’s charity.

7. The trophy, being played for each year, will promote the charity, the disease and hopefully, each year, there will be collection buckets at the stadium to collect for the charity.

Folk need to stop moaning at the Unions, they’ve raised awareness, money, and going forward some long term fundraising opportunities and we all get an extra game of international rugby to watch.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 30 Oct 2018, 1:20 pm

Patchell apparently can’t play this week, so Jarrod Evans is expected to back Anscombe up.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Oct 2018, 1:25 pm

Looks like it will be Owens and Dee as hookers this weekend - Ellias has been asked by the Welsh coaches to play against Embra this weekend for the Turks.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 30 Oct 2018, 1:38 pm

tigertattie wrote:Think there's a few things that need clarified.

1. This game was arranged (before the Doddie Cup was announced) as an extra international in the season leading up to the World cup as an opportunity for both nations to try new things/players.

2. The game is being played outside the international window as it’s a “world cup warm up game” so clubs don’t have to release players. This means that both sides can put in fringe players in what is a development game

3. The Welsh Rugby Union then said they’d like to donate a trophy to be played for between the two sides every time they play, as this is the first time they meet since the kind gesture, the trophy will be played for.

4. The Match is not a charity match for Doddie’s charity, it’s only that there is a trophy with his name on it (and will be forevermore)

5. Both unions had the match scheduled in before the Doddie Trophy was donated (and will be played for) and made it clear form the outset that proceeds from the game will not go to Doddie’s foundation. Likewise, every year afterwards (in the 6Ns) when the trophy is contested, ticket money won’t be donated.

6. Both Unions have come forward to say that they will donate (not determined by ticket sales) a sum of money to Doddie’s charity.

7. The trophy, being played for each year, will promote the charity, the disease and hopefully, each year, there will be collection buckets at the stadium to collect for the charity.

Folk need to stop moaning at the Unions, they’ve raised awareness, money, and going forward some long term fundraising opportunities and we all get an extra game of international rugby to watch.

Alternatively

1) This fixture was arranged outside the normal window as a money making exercise. The hosts struggled to find an opponent so offered their visitors a Seven figure sum to play.
2) The game is being played outside the normal window as it was the only week available for an extra game.
3) After receiving a huge negative reaction for arranging to play a 6Ns side in the Autumn, WRU decided to create a trophy to deflect the criticism.
4) The Match is not a charity match for Doddie’s charity, it’s only that there is a trophy with his name on it (until some such point as they change their minds or a sponsor comes in willing to pay for naming rights)
5) Both sides were willing to use the Charity's name to justify the fixture without donating in any credible way.
6) The further negative reaction has persuaded the unions to change that stance.
7) The charity will be used to promote this fixture in future but hopefully there will be collection buckets at the stadium to collect for the charity.

Folk were moaning because from the start this has looked like a money making exercise with the Doddie Weir connection being cynically exploited to sell the fixture, while in an already overbloated international fixture list we have to endure another meaningless test match.

PS I could have been almost as scathing about Ireland travelling to US to play Italy, or the additional international at Twickenham

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Oct 2018, 3:29 pm

tigertattie wrote:Think there's a few things that need clarified.

I don't think it was tough. The Doddie Weir involvement was there right from the beginning and was part of the initial marketing for the game.

Now it is true that there was never any obvious expression of intention to donate some money to the cause, either then or subsequently. It was however an assumption that many who bought tickets (myself included) made and were never dissuaded of. That may have been naive of us, but I still think it was not an unreasonable assumption to make that the two unions, who will make a considerable amount of money from the event, would be sending a small proportion of it in the direction of Doddie's charity.

I think it is quite likely that I would not have been going to the game if it were not for the DW association and I have bought 8 tickets and am making it a big family day out, I am sure others are the same.

They are charging full rate ticket prices for this, as previously said for a below full strength match played outside of the window, which I would not normally have approved of nor gone to. The DW involvement has definitely bumped up the prices and the gate and it will no doubt be a great occasion for DW and his family and thoroughly enjoyed as a memorable occasion by those that are there and who watch it. But both Unions have shamelessly used him and his charity to sell the match and should therefore make a contribution.

The only thing that amazes me is how they could not see that the stance they took was going to cause such a stink. Neither union seems to have any sense of perception nor any great PR awareness.

The SRU has no doubt done a lot of good for Scottish Rugby over the past few years and as fans we are glad to see a better financial base and our international teams and professional clubs doing a lot better.

They do however still make some absolute howlers at times. This whole episode and the way it has been conducted could be described as amateurish at best

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Oct 2018, 3:31 pm

Patchell cleared for contact training, great to hear.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 30 Oct 2018, 5:14 pm

Very good news. I still think Anscombe will probably start.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2018, 6:48 pm

I'm with Biggee here - the doddie Weir link was advertised from the beginning when the game was announced.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 30 Oct 2018, 7:07 pm

What impact do you think Shaun Wane will have between now and the RWC?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 30 Oct 2018, 7:16 pm

reallybored wrote:What impact do you think Shaun Wane will have between now and the RWC?
He'll definitely help but he's very much a supporting role as far as I'm aware - his main remit is across the SRU mainly focussing on the academies.

International rugby is about fine margins though so even if he only adds an extra 1% it'll be worth it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 Oct 2018, 3:52 am

RiscaGame wrote:Very good news. I still think Anscombe will probably start.

Agree, I’d at least have Patchell on the bench. Too soon for Jarrod although i still think he is the most promising youngster at 10 we’ve had since James Hook, who eventually turned out average at 10...

I might be called biased for this but I think Dee is better than Owens, almost twice as good actually plus his darts are accurate. I also don’t rate Owens’ leadership that highly. Rather discouraging that he and Tipuric are in the ‘leadership group.’

If Wyn Jones is to feature it should be this game and Tonga only; he was eaten alive by Tigers at welford road. It wasn’t pretty. I feel it would be too big a risk against SA and Aus.

Any news on Gatland?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 31 Oct 2018, 9:26 am

Scotland team out at 12.00!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 Oct 2018, 10:09 am

BigGee wrote:Scotland team out at 12.00!

Looks weak etc
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 31 Oct 2018, 10:22 am

munkian wrote:

Looks weak etc
I love reading the comments on the Scotland Rugby Facebook page sometimes.

"I can't believe they left out [player who's been retired since 2015]!"

"Where's Stewart Hogg?"
"He's injured you tw@t"

"Why don't they play Russell at scrum-half?"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 31 Oct 2018, 11:04 am

IanBru wrote:
munkian wrote:

Looks weak etc

"Where's Stewart Hogg?"
"He's injured you tw@t"

"I'm going to the game at the weekend. Is it like a regatta? Is it propper to bring one's own tartan rug or should I purchase one at the venue when I'm getting my hamper? I've been practising my tutting to ensure I can really tell any non tweed wearing persons, in a passive aggressive way, to calm one's self down and stop jumping about. As the drive from Stockbridge is a bit of a journey, I'm taking a cheese board to eat. I've instructed the driver not to go down roads with speed bumps as I don;t want to go splling my port do I"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 Oct 2018, 11:05 am

IanBru wrote:
munkian wrote:

Looks weak etc

"Where's Stewart Hogg?"
"He's injured you tw@t"

I raise you the Welsh one

'Wheres Shane/Henson/Hook etc'
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:02 pm

Wales vs Scotland - Inaugural Doddie Weir Cup Dq1YtpcXcAMcnfP

You werent' far off Biggee! Good team considering we have no exiles - shows the strength available to the pro teams now.

Main point of note is Toolis starting over Gilchrist and Berghan on the bench over McCallum. Great to see Graham rewarded for his good form.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:04 pm

Toolis starts over Gilchrist

Berghan to cover TH from the bench (it was that tackle that did it!)

Darcy Graham to make his debut off the bench.

Otherwise all as predicted. Let's hope that Ali Price has laid the ghost of Cardiff last year to rest!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:10 pm

Head Coach Gregor Townsend today welcomed several experienced Scotland players back into the starting line-up for this Saturday’s opening Autumn Test match against Wales at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff (3 November, kick-off 2.45pm) – live on BBC.

Taking place outside World Rugby’s designated international window, the sides (made up wholly of home-based players) will contest the ‘Doddie Weir Cup’ as they honour the former Scotland and British & Irish Lions player diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease and support his inspiring work to raise funds for MND research.

This week the Welsh Rugby Union and Scottish Rugby committed to donating a joint six-figure sum from the proceeds of the game, with the associated visibility for the fight against Motor Neurone Disease also providing an invaluable contribution.

Townsend said: "Doddie’s a great man who’s been inspirational in his fight against MND and it’s fantastic that we’re able to pay tribute to him and his achievements with this match.

"This Saturday the best way we, as a team, can pay tribute to him will be through our performance, delivering one in keeping with the occasion and that puts us in a position to make Doddie proud.

"There is an extra incentive that we are playing for a trophy in the shape of the Doddie Weir Cup.”

Four starters remain from Summer Test triumph...

Just four players return to Scotland’s starting line-up from the Summer Test win over Argentina (44-15) in Resistencia in June.

Hooker Stuart McInally [pictured right] returns as captain alongside fellow Edinburgh front-row Allan Dell, while young backs Adam Hastings (22) and Blair Kinghorn (21) feature again in the back division, at stand-off and full-back.

Thereafter the squad features the return of a number of seasoned campaigners who missed the Argentina win either through injury or a summer of scheduled rest.

In the backs the youthful exuberance of Hastings and Kinghorn is complemented by an experienced Glasgow Warriors quintet: wingers Tommy Seymour and Lee Jones, centres Huw Jones and Alex Dunbar, and scrum-half Ali Price.

In the pack, tour-rested quartet Jonny Gray (lock) [pictured left], Willem Nel (prop), Hamish Watson and Ryan Wilson (back-row) return to the pack, alongside lock Ben Toolis and back-row Jamie Ritchie.

Edinburgh back Darcy Graham earns his first appearance in a Scotland match-day 23 and could make his debut if called upon from the bench.

Townsend added: “We’ve had a productive two weeks, both in St Andrews and Edinburgh, and the players have worked hard to put our game into place.

”As always we expect a very tough Test match against Wales in Cardiff – a contest that will be physically and technically demanding in a noisy arena. It’s a challenge we look forward to facing.”

The Wales match will provide Test-level build-up for Scotland’s home 2018 Autumn Tests at BT Murrayfield, with sold-out crowds confirmed for the opening Tests against Fiji (Saturday 10 November) and South Africa (17 November), with the final Test against Argentina on Saturday 24 November close behind

Scotland team to play Wales at the Principality Stadium

Saturday 3 November (kick-off 2.45pm) – live on BBC

15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 5 caps

14. Tommy Seymour VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 43 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps
11. Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 3 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh) – 13 caps
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 18 caps
3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 22 caps
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 12 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 43 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 2 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 20 caps
8. Ryan Wilson VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 37 caps

Substitutes

16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 34 caps
17. Alex Allan (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 10 caps
19. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
20. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 2 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 35 caps
23. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – uncapped

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

What's Tommy Seymour doing as Vice Captain??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next