The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup

+2
BigGee
mikey_dragon
6 posters

Go down

Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup Empty Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 19 Jan 2018, 7:27 pm

In the 2018 AI series Scotland travel to Cardiff to face Wales outside the international window, so it's likely both teams have 4 AIs this year. I'm not keen on extra games outside the winder however it would be good to play Scotland again and at that time of year. I'm not sure if this is a reoccurring theme yet, has anyone else heard more?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42748131

Townsend sees at as another good opportunity to continue his building process towards 2019.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scotland/scotland-to-play-wales-in-new-doddie-weir-cup-match-in-autumn-series-1-4666130

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup Empty Re: Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:24 pm

This game is only a good idea if a decent wedge of the money is going to MND research.

Anyone know the WRU take on that?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup Empty Re: Wales and Scotland to contest Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:43 pm

WRU chief:

Doddie and his Trustees launched the registered charity ‘My Name’5 Doddie Foundation’ and a series of Welsh rugby initiatives over the course of the weekend will raise money for the foundation and bring Scottish and Welsh rugby communities together.

“The game carries with it years of tradition and rivalry which should appeal to rugby supporters across both countries and we will be encouraging a range of fixtures across the community game to reflect the history of our two great rugby nations.

“We will also provide a new ‘Doddie Weir Cup’, with related contributions made to the ‘My Name’5 Doddie Foundation’, which will be played for whenever the two sides meet in Cardiff.

“Scotland’s visit is the result of some innovative thinking from the national squads, rugby management and marketing teams of both nations and is set to light up another scintillating campaign.”

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 20 Jan 2018, 1:03 am

BigGee wrote:This game is only a good idea if a decent wedge of the money is going to MND research.

Anyone know the WRU take on that?

I imagine the WRU will take something out of it as our chairman has reiterated the need for the fourth international. Oracle has also posted which outlines some contributions going to MND research, without a link though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jan 2018, 9:13 am

Sorry! Link was Western Mail (not a great source I appreciate, but it’s a quote so you’d hope it’s not made up!).

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 Jan 2018, 9:26 am

Wales normally pay one of the SH nations to play their 4th AL fixture outside the window.

I think the going rate for the ABs is a million quid.

Surely that is the money that they would otherwise have spent buying in some opposition, that they should be donating to the charity.

I do accept that Scotland do not have the same value as NZ, which would guarantee a sell out.

I should say we are worth as much as Australia (or maybe a bit more) these days.

That would be the type of significant contribution I would like to see.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:33 am

stupid idea. Outside the international window so would strip Glasgow and Edinburgh of players and no exiles. We already play Wales in the 6N anyway. Want to do something for charity use the Wales / Scotland 6N games

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:39 am

TJ wrote:stupid idea.  Outside the international window so would strip Glasgow and Edinburgh of players and no exiles.  We already play Wales in the 6N anyway.  Want to do something for charity use the Wales / Scotland 6N games

It's none of my business but as an opinion, I'd have to share TJ's a bit.  I think given the familiarity of the two sides...not just at International level but then in the Pro14 setting, if this is to be a yearly game, I think the participants could tire of the exercise pretty quickly.  I mean it could become a chore rather than something players and coaches look forward to.  So maybe the better option was to see how they could guarantee a small percentage of the gate every year after the Scotland v Wales 6N game?

But like I said earlier... just a 10 cents opinion.

ps..sometimes I think the intensity at 6N level - and rivalries - are so raw, that it's actually a relief when you don't have to play any of the other five for another year...usually. It's nice to let the red-mist dissipate again through the year.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 Jan 2018, 12:22 pm

No, I agree that we don't want or need this as a regular autumn match.

A one off is fine, with the charity side of it as the focus and maybe a return in Scotland for a WC warm up.

After that we need to go back to our three games against SH opposition with a Tier Two nation thrown in as well. We do take a bit of a hit on potential gate revenue for these games, but creative pricing and the good developing the game can offset that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 21 Jan 2018, 3:42 am

This is without doubt the most prematurely inappropriate silverware I have ever heard of.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:19 am

An opportunity to unfurl the big flag I spose.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down