The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

+27
Heaf
Duty281
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
Morgan75
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
geoff999rugby
Recwatcher16
Mcsweens
formerly known as Sam
Luckless Pedestrian
mountain man
TAFKA The Oracle
EWT Spoons
mikey_dragon
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
Oakdene
jimbopip
RDW
NeilyBroon
Tramptastic
BigGee
TJ
RiscaGame
bsando
31 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Sun 28 Jan 2024, 6:49 am

The Wales vs Scotland
The Doddie Weir Cup

Round One
3rd of February, 2024
Millenium Stadium, Cardiff
Kick Off 16:45

Referee: Ben O’Keeffe (NZ)
ARs: James Doleman (NZ) & Angus Mabey (NZ)
TMO: Brendon Pickerill (NZ)

TV Coverage on BBC 1
SC4
RTÉ (ROI)

Teams

Wales

Winnett; Dyer, Watkin, Tompkins, Adams; Costelow, G Davies; Domachowski, Elias, Brown, D Jenkins (capt), Beard, Botham, Reffell, Wainwright.

Replacements:Dee, Mathias, Assiratti, Teddy Williams, Mann, Tomos Williams, I Lloyd, Grady.

Scotland

Rowe, Steyn, Jones, Tuipulotu, Van der Merwe, Russell, White; Schoeman, Turner, Z Fagerson, R Gray, Cummings, Crosbie, Ritchie, M Fagerson.

Replacements: Ashman, Hepburn, Millar-Mills, Skinner, Dempsey, Horne, Healy, Redpath.


Last edited by bsando on Thu 01 Feb 2024, 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Posts : 4380
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RiscaGame Sun 28 Jan 2024, 7:02 pm

Thanks Bsando.

Can't see anything other than a Scottish win, but if all of the Welsh players get through Gatland's two week crossfit games then our starting fifteen should be competitive. I don't hold out too much hope with the bench, because we could have players like Brown/Dee/Basham who have not shown much form/fitness recently.

Scarlet Steff in the Wails Online went with this (no nicknames, sorry Scottish fans ha) and he probably isn't far off. I actually think Gatland may go Jenkins 6 and start Beard though. To be honest, I also expect Cai Evans to probably be selected over Lloyd on the bench too.

Adams, Dyer, North, Tompkins, Grady, Costelow, Williams, Thomas, Elias, Assiratti, Rowlands, Jenkins, Botham, Reffell, Wainwright.

Dee, Domachowski, Brown, Beard, Basham, Davies, Lloyd, Watkin.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5788
Join date : 2016-01-24

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by TJ Sun 28 Jan 2024, 7:24 pm

History is on wales side and Gatland seems t6o be able to get more than the sum of the parts out of the team and to create a gameplan to frustrate Scotland.

TJ

Posts : 8523
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Sun 28 Jan 2024, 9:24 pm

Come on Tramp, things have been very quiet from our spy in the camp!

What is the word on the Scotland team?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Sun 28 Jan 2024, 9:25 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Thanks Bsando.

Can't see anything other than a Scottish win, but if all of the Welsh players get through Gatland's two week crossfit games then our starting fifteen should be competitive. I don't hold out too much hope with the bench, because we could have players like Brown/Dee/Basham who have not shown much form/fitness recently.

Scarlet Steff in the Wails Online went with this (no nicknames, sorry Scottish fans ha) and he probably isn't far off. I actually think Gatland may go Jenkins 6 and start Beard though. To be honest, I also expect Cai Evans to probably be selected over Lloyd on the bench too.

Adams, Dyer, North, Tompkins, Grady, Costelow, Williams, Thomas, Elias, Assiratti, Rowlands, Jenkins, Botham, Reffell, Wainwright.

Dee, Domachowski, Brown, Beard, Basham, Davies, Lloyd, Watkin.


Did George North not get injured last weekend?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RiscaGame Mon 29 Jan 2024, 3:59 am

Yeah he did, but I also thought I had read that he was expected to be okay.

In fact, I have just found an article where Neil Jenkins confirms he should be. Good to know I am not going completely mad yet.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5788
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Tramptastic Mon 29 Jan 2024, 8:43 am

BigGee wrote:Come on Tramp, things have been very quiet from our spy in the camp!

What is the word on the Scotland team?

Oh christ, i forgot i had this responsibility. I'll ping him a message the now!

Tramptastic

Posts : 1245
Join date : 2012-10-19
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Tramptastic Mon 29 Jan 2024, 8:47 am

So - no full team sheet YET

however ive been told to expect a backrow of Fagerson Crosbie and Demspey on Saturday with Christie on the bench, nae Ritchie. Caveat - not set in stone yet (suggestions that Crosbie and Christie could swap)

Tramptastic

Posts : 1245
Join date : 2012-10-19
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Jan 2024, 9:00 am

Christie has certainly been in form, so it would not be a massive surprise if he starts, though Crosbie has akso been decent.

The mood music from Toonie about JR has not been good, so no great surprise if he sits, this one out either.

It seems we are going for a very physical backrow and doing without an out and out fetcher!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 29 Jan 2024, 9:44 am

BigGee wrote:Christie has certainly been in form, so it would not be a massive surprise if he starts, though Crosbie has akso been decent.

The mood music from Toonie about JR has not been good, so no great surprise if he sits, this one out either.

It seems we are going for a very physical backrow and doing without an out and out fetcher!

I'd imagine that's a role that fagerson and crosbie will share?

Looks like our back row balance from about 10 years ago!

NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 3436
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 33
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Mon 29 Jan 2024, 9:46 am

I'll never, ever feel confident playing Wales in Wales but if we really have desires to compete at the business end of the tournament we really should be winning this. I'll be bloody relieved if we do.

I'm a bit nervous Ritchie being left out even if his form hasn't been great this season. He always ups his game for Scotland. Crosbie has yet to fully flourish at this level (and this is long overdue). Christie still an unknown.

Big, big call to leave him out.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32804
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:06 am

Sounds like Ben White got clattered playing for Toulon this weekend. Was subbed off and seen with a big Ice pack on his shoulder on the bench.

If he is injured, we may see if Toonie finally sees Hornito as a starter or not. He has been in better form than Price this season so far.

Dobie is also running with the squad if he is going to be a longer term problem.

The other bigger selection dilemna is for our second winger. Steyn or Rowe I would imagine. Hard to see him chucking Reed straight in.

My money on Kyle Rowe, who has played well all season and seems to have a poachers instinct for the try line.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:09 am

BigGee wrote:Sounds like Ben White got clattered playing for Toulon this weekend. Was subbed off and seen with a big Ice pack on his shoulder on the bench.

If he is injured, we may see if Toonie finally sees Hornito as a starter or not. He has been in better form than Price this season so far.

Dobie is also running with the squad if he is going to be a longer term problem.

The other bigger selection dilemna is for our second winger. Steyn or Rowe I would imagine. Hard to see him chucking Reed straight in.

My money on Kyle Rowe, who has played well all season and seems to have a poachers instinct for the try line.

Steyn was a strong performer last 6N - I'd stick with him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32804
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:27 am

BigGee wrote:Sounds like Ben White got clattered playing for Toulon this weekend. Was subbed off and seen with a big Ice pack on his shoulder on the bench.

If he is injured, we may see if Toonie finally sees Hornito as a starter or not. He has been in better form than Price this season so far.

Dobie is also running with the squad if he is going to be a longer term problem.

The other bigger selection dilemna is for our second winger. Steyn or Rowe I would imagine. Hard to see him chucking Reed straight in.

My money on Kyle Rowe, who has played well all season and seems to have a poachers instinct for the try line.

Funnily enough, for all our gibbering about The Toonie Tombola Gregor tends to be very conservative in his selections. The venerable Disco on the Glasgow Warriors forum did a statistical analysis of back three call ups under Toonie and (a) there were quite a few like Ratu Tagive; called up but never really made the 23, and (b) 51% of back three caps under Toonie have gone to just three players; Duhan-Hogg-ADHD Kid.

So for Saturday, Duhan- Blarehorn- Seaman. If Seaman is deemed match fit Toonie will pick him. Blarehorn is Hoggy's heir so he plays. Duhan plays every time.

Speedy McReedy and The Mullet can both feel that their form deserves a place on the bench, but if Toonie goes 6/2 and it's Price-Healey then they will both miss out. Which may explain why 51% of back three caps under Toonie go to just three players. A really big call would be one of them on the wing and Blarehorn covering Dancer in case of emergency.

jimbopip

Posts : 7133
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Oakdene Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:34 am

Looking at the bookies, most have Scotland as favourites & rightly so. I am not expecting anything from this 6 nations.

Oakdene

Posts : 1150
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:37 am

Nailing tattie's stones to the mast, here's my team

1 Schoeman
2 Turner
3 Fagerson
4 Gray
5 Cummings
6 Christie
7 Crosbie
8 Fagerson

9 White / Horne
10 Finn
11 VDM
12 Tuipolotu
13 Jonea
14 Steyn
15 Kinghorn

Subs - Bhatti, Ashman, Nel, Skinner, Ritchie Dempsey, Horne/White, Redpath

Yep, a 6-2 split!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32804
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:37 am

I would normally agree with that analysis but maybe Steyn's lack of games may count against him this time.

You just get the feeling as well that Toonie might want to blood a few new players this time around. Being conservative does not alwsys seemed to have worked so well for us in the past!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Jan 2024, 10:47 am

I think Gatland has had the Evil Eye over Toonie, historically. Toonie will want the win in Cardiff: he might not get too many more chances, certainly this should be his last chance of beating Gatland in Cardiff.

Toonie will be conservative in his selection. If he's "resting" Mbawza then that's the big call of the week; there won't be two.

With Darge, Seaman, Dempsey and the House Elf returning from injury the real question is are they lacking match fitness or are they refreshed and ready to go? Toonie obviously thinks Dempsey is ready and looks like he will play Darge ASAP, so there's no reason to think he won't throw Seaman onto the pitch if he thinks he's ready.

Wales will kick a lot, Toonie will want a back three he can trust not to do anything daft. Seaman is solid at the back and firm under high balls. I think he starts.

jimbopip

Posts : 7133
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Mon 29 Jan 2024, 12:55 pm

This is my favourite week on 606, the optimism is flowing, the excitement is building. Hopefully a few old members return to share some of their insight. Another six nations beckons.

From a Welsh perspective they must be loving the under dog status that is seemingly being bestowed upon them. I’m not so sure they’re as terrible as their URC form would suggest. They still have some big units in their pack and in particular a very mobile backrow that can win turnover ball. I 100% believe that they’ll play well on Saturday at home and it’ll take a very strong Scottish performance to break them down. It’s a must win for them.

At a guess.. I read Tramps news on the backrow but I find it hard to see Ritchie drop out completely. He’s such a key link player for Scotland. Losing his soft hands out the back of rucks and mauls would be a big loss. I dropped Jones simply because I think redpath has been playing better but I’d be happy to see Jones alongside Tuipulotu or vice versa. 6-2 split for me as well! Glasgow front row to start, Edinburgh to finish.

Bhatti, Turner, Fagerson
Gray, Cummings
Fagerson, Ritchie
Dempsey
Horne, Russell
Redpath, Tuipulotu
VDM, Steyn
Kinghorn

Ashman, Schoe, Nel, Young, Skinner, Christie, Price, Healy

bsando

Posts : 4380
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 29 Jan 2024, 2:06 pm

bsando wrote:This is my favourite week on 606, the optimism is flowing, the excitement is building. Hopefully a few old members return to share some of their insight. Another six nations beckons.

From a Welsh perspective they must be loving the under dog status that is seemingly being bestowed upon them. I’m not so sure they’re as terrible as their URC form would suggest. They still have some big units in their pack and in particular a very mobile backrow that can win turnover ball. I 100% believe that they’ll play well on Saturday at home and it’ll take a very strong Scottish performance to break them down. It’s a must win for them.

At a guess.. I read Tramps news on the backrow but I find it hard to see Ritchie drop out completely. He’s such a key link player for Scotland. Losing his soft hands out the back of rucks and mauls would be a big loss. I dropped Jones simply because I think redpath has been playing better but I’d be happy to see Jones alongside Tuipulotu or vice versa. 6-2 split for me as well! Glasgow front row to start, Edinburgh to finish.

Bhatti, Turner, Fagerson
Gray, Cummings
Fagerson, Ritchie
Dempsey
Horne, Russell
Redpath, Tuipulotu
VDM, Steyn
Kinghorn

Ashman, Schoe, Nel, Young, Skinner, Christie, Price, Healy


I reckon tuipolotu starts at inside centre or is on the bench. 12 is definitely his preferred position. With that in mind, likely stick with settled combo of huwipolotu but there is a very strong argument for redpath, and despite how he looks he is quite a strong physical centre on top of being a "ball player."

NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 3436
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 33
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Jan 2024, 2:15 pm

Well Nelly is out with a neck strain

Sebastian back into the squad along with Ross Thompson. Eusn Ferrie and Dobie slso out in Spain.

This could mean a debut for Millar-Mills as Sebastian has not played for a while.

Luckily Zander alwsys capable of doing a long shift if necessary!


BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Jan 2024, 3:31 pm

Hmm. That faint feeling of hope and nausea. Must be the 6 Nations.

Wales fans - has Gats picked a completely bonkers young squad or has this been overstated in press? Doesn't this give you a lot of excitement in this tournament as it always means at least a handful of players will stand up for first team starter status over the next 5 years?

What team would you like to see and why? I am trying to educate myself.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15693
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : KSA

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 29 Jan 2024, 4:30 pm

I prefer RDW's team over Bsando (Sorry Bsando)

Having a 6:2 split in Wales makes sense but Toonie has been conservative on that front and has gone 5:3 in the past. Fingers crossed he takes the risk. Can't have Healy on the bench in a 6:2 split though, would have to be a centre or back-three player.

I do like the balance of a Christie - M Fagerson - Crosbie back row. Abrasive, third tall jumper in the lineout, plenty of carrying and high workrate. I can see Wales targeting our line-out by sticking one of Rowlands, Jenkins or Beard at six after reading some Welsh commentary so having Crosbie or Ritchie in the BR may be required even if form does not justify it.

Also, don't want a tired, wound up Fagerson getting a red at 70 minutes because we lack an option on the bench. Hopefully we can get a good lead by the hour mark.


Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2572
Join date : 2015-05-26

Boston Exile likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Jan 2024, 7:50 pm

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Sounds like Ben White got clattered playing for Toulon this weekend. Was subbed off and seen with a big Ice pack on his shoulder on the bench.

If he is injured, we may see if Toonie finally sees Hornito as a starter or not. He has been in better form than Price this season so far.

Dobie is also running with the squad if he is going to be a longer term problem.

The other bigger selection dilemna is for our second winger. Steyn or Rowe I would imagine. Hard to see him chucking Reed straight in.

My money on Kyle Rowe, who has played well all season and seems to have a poachers instinct for the try line.

Funnily enough, for all our gibbering about The Toonie Tombola Gregor tends to be very conservative in his selections. The venerable Disco on the Glasgow Warriors forum did a statistical analysis of back three call ups under Toonie and (a) there were quite a few like Ratu Tagive; called up but never really made the 23, and (b) 51% of back three caps under Toonie have gone to just three players; Duhan-Hogg-ADHD Kid.

So for Saturday, Duhan- Blarehorn- Seaman. If Seaman is deemed match fit Toonie will pick him. Blarehorn is Hoggy's heir so he plays. Duhan plays every time.

Speedy McReedy and The Mullet can both feel that their form deserves a place on the bench, but if Toonie goes 6/2 and it's Price-Healey then they will both miss out. Which may explain why 51% of back three caps under Toonie go to just three players. A really big call would be one of them on the wing and Blarehorn covering Dancer in case of emergency.

Guys!Guys!!
I misquoted the Venerable Disco... it should be that 51 out of 52 matches the back three was Duhan-Hogg- ADHD.

jimbopip

Posts : 7133
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Mon 29 Jan 2024, 8:17 pm

jimbopip wrote:
jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Sounds like Ben White got clattered playing for Toulon this weekend. Was subbed off and seen with a big Ice pack on his shoulder on the bench.

If he is injured, we may see if Toonie finally sees Hornito as a starter or not. He has been in better form than Price this season so far.

Dobie is also running with the squad if he is going to be a longer term problem.

The other bigger selection dilemna is for our second winger. Steyn or Rowe I would imagine. Hard to see him chucking Reed straight in.

My money on Kyle Rowe, who has played well all season and seems to have a poachers instinct for the try line.

Funnily enough, for all our gibbering about The Toonie Tombola Gregor tends to be very conservative in his selections. The venerable Disco on the Glasgow Warriors forum did a statistical analysis of back three call ups under Toonie and (a) there were quite a few like Ratu Tagive; called up but never really made the 23, and (b) 51% of back three caps under Toonie have gone to just three players; Duhan-Hogg-ADHD Kid.

So for Saturday, Duhan- Blarehorn- Seaman. If Seaman is deemed match fit Toonie will pick him. Blarehorn is Hoggy's heir so he plays. Duhan plays every time.

Speedy McReedy and The Mullet can both feel that their form deserves a place on the bench, but if Toonie goes 6/2 and it's Price-Healey then they will both miss out. Which may explain why 51% of back three caps under Toonie go to just three players. A really big call would be one of them on the wing and Blarehorn covering Dancer in case of emergency.

Guys!Guys!!
I misquoted the Venerable Disco... it should be that 51 out of 52 matches the back three was Duhan-Hogg- ADHD.

Well this changes everything.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32804
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 29 Jan 2024, 8:41 pm

George Carlin wrote: has Gats picked a completely bonkers young squad

Yes.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 15159
Join date : 2015-07-25

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RiscaGame Mon 29 Jan 2024, 9:29 pm

Yes and no for me. What Gatland will likely pick is pretty tested, but he does have a lot of untested people in the squad that maybe won't feature too much.

George North definitely fit, or I assume he wouldn't be planking with 60kg on his back today.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5788
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Tue 30 Jan 2024, 7:46 am

No offence taken at all sapling, I think if we have Steyn starting on the right wing then he can cover centre. Tuipulotu covers 12 or 13, so there is room for Healy over say Jones or Rowe. My guess is that Healy will play a bigger role for Scotland this six nations. Scotland need a strong second option behind Russell that isn’t kinghorn.

Our backrow options are looking good. My only worry is we play Christie and Crosbie and sacrifice experience in doing so. Dempsey is a guaranteed starter for me. Some interesting calls incoming I suspect.

bsando

Posts : 4380
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Tue 30 Jan 2024, 9:03 am

Well Kinghorn should at least be coming into camp full of confidence - I don't think Toulouse have lost with him playing yet, and they just beat Racing away at the weekend (not ideally, he played late on Sunday night) with him putting on a big performance.

He was even goalkicker!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32804
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Oakdene Tue 30 Jan 2024, 9:06 am

I think for us, Wales, this will be almost a write off. Can't see us winning more than 1 match & that isn't a certainty.

I can see us lining up something like this:

G.Thomas, Elias, Asserati,
Rowlands, Jenkins(c),
Basham, Wainwright, Reffell
T.WIlliams, Costellow,
Tomkins, North,
Grady, Adams, Dyer

Oakdene

Posts : 1150
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 30 Jan 2024, 9:30 am

No matter how ‘badly’ Wales are perceived to be performing or about to perform, playing Wales, in Cardiff, with Gatland is the trifecta of kryptonite for any Scotland rugby sides.

If you take out the Covid game with no fans then we haven’t won in front of a crowd in Cardiff since 2002, any sane Scot, knows this game is not even a potential banana skin, as that would suggest we’re favourites, this game has home advantage writ large all over it, and Scotland will have to be at their absolute best to get anything from it.

I know some Wales fans are a bit down on their recent performances, but they have every reason to go into this game confident of getting their 6n campaign off to a flying start.  Outside of playing Italy, Wales couldn’t have asked for a better game to start the 6n.

For us, Scotland, our grand slam hopes (non-existent as they are) will likely be over by Saturday evening, unless we play to the best of our ability and don’t give away the multitude of silly pens and cards that seem to plague us whenever we play in Cardiff.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3695
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

George Carlin, bsando and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by jimbopip Tue 30 Jan 2024, 9:47 am

Well, I'm still at that crazy "this is our year stage". Yahoo

I think the champions will be either France or Ireland. However, the loss of Dupont and Sextoy will leave huge holes in those teams. I don't think Engurlund have improved at all on last year and Les Blues really showed them up at Twickers.

Wales showed just what a gritty, determined side can achieve at the World Cup. They went further than they had any right to, and all credit to them for that. Can they repeat that ? Maybe at home for one match, possibly two. They could front up on Saturday and win the slugfest. I can see them being able to do that. Can they outgrunt Ireland and Engurlund? I don't think so. Can they live with France? Mais non. C'est ne pas possible. Can they beat Scotland? Och aye.

I think the battle between middle five of each side will be decisive. The Scotland 9-10 is by far the better pair, whoever start with Dancer, than Williams and Costello. Basham-Wainwright-Reffell...well which of them could have lived with Lydiate-Warburton-Faletau-Tips (perm any three from four) in their prime? Fagerson-Dempsey-Christie/Crosbie might just have the edge there.
If Dancer is getting front foot ball then Scotland should win.
Tomkins v Wee Shona...Shona wins that one
North v Shug ...North was an excellent winger, but is not an excellent 13. Shug is.
Similarly Josh Adams is an excellent winger but not the best 15 Wales have.

Scotland should be too good for Wales...I think I'll put my 75 pence pocket money on a home win, though.

jimbopip

Posts : 7133
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by George Carlin Tue 30 Jan 2024, 9:53 am

EWT Spoons wrote:No matter how ‘badly’ Wales are perceived to be performing or about to perform, playing Wales, in Cardiff, with Gatland is the trifecta of kryptonite for any Scotland rugby sides.

If you take out the Covid game with no fans then we haven’t won in front of a crowd in Cardiff since 2002, any sane Scot, knows this game is not even a potential banana skin, as that would suggest we’re favourites, this game has home advantage writ large all over it, and Scotland will have to be at their absolute best to get anything from it.

I know some Wales fans are a bit down on their recent performances, but they have every reason to go into this game confident of getting their 6n campaign off to a flying start.  Outside of playing Italy, Wales couldn’t have asked for a better game to start the 6n.

For us, Scotland, our grand slam hopes (non-existent as they are) will likely be over by Saturday evening, unless we play to the best of our ability and don’t give away the multitude of silly pens and cards that seem to plague us whenever we play in Cardiff.
Agree 100%, Msr Spoons. I think if we can be a score ahead by half time then we'll take it, but I didn't expect anything of this Welsh side in the World Cup and they looked very good indeed for a side being modestly talked down by their fans.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15693
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : KSA

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 30 Jan 2024, 10:12 am

"we lose first, no we lose first!"

This is the most Celtic of Celtic nation threads 😂

I think either team is in with a shot but this is Scotland's best chance in a long time. If we keep our heads and don't go massively behind early we go on to win. Wales get their tails up and we let them, we lose.

For the record I'll say Scotland squeeze it by 5. It's about bloody time we win at the millennium!

NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 3436
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 33
Location : Southampton

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 30 Jan 2024, 10:13 am

Oakdene wrote:I think for us, Wales, this will be almost a write off. Can't see us winning more than 1 match & that isn't a certainty.

I can see us lining up something like this:

G.Thomas, Elias, Asserati,
Rowlands, Jenkins(c),
Basham, Wainwright, Reffell
T.WIlliams, Costellow,
Tomkins, North,
Grady, Adams, Dyer

I think I’d prefer to see Jenkins in the back row to add a bit of bulk there. I guess that would mean Beard in the 2nd row which doesn’t fill me with enthusiasm though. Don’t think Teddy Williams is quite ready for starting 6N games yet. Still looks a bit small/slim for this level too. So beard perhaps the best available option there.

Costellow for me is struggling a bit at this level too. He’s had a few howlers and is a bit flaky in front of goal at club level too (see the two easy misses vs Dragons over the Christmas period that ultimately lost them the game). But no one else is really available, looking at the squad. Ioan Lloyd and Cai Evans? The former is very raw and inexperienced, but with great potential. Just too early for him now I reckon. Cai Evans doesn’t scream international standard to me. He’s not even proven himself as a good 10 even at club level yet, has he?

Happy with the centre pairing above. I think those two have developed a good relationship and I think North is getting better and better as a centre. Not a great one yet, as pointed out above, but he’s scoring a fair bit from centre for Wales so needs to be in the team.

Not sure on Adams at FB. But looking at the squad I don’t know who else could go there. The squad chosen looks to me like the sort we’d send to Japan or USA on a summer tour! I’m not sure I’m comfortable with a lot of those going into the cauldron of a 6N tournament. The likes of Winnett, Martin, Mann, Evans, Lloyd, Mathias, etc. have not really proven themselves at club level. Some good performances, no doubt. But not enough time to show that it is consistently high enough to be seen as an international player. It’s a hell of an ask to get them to step up and perform at this level. And given injuries are guaranteed, I imagine at least a few of them will get some serious game time this tournament.

TAFKA The Oracle

Posts : 407
Join date : 2023-02-11

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 Jan 2024, 1:46 pm

I think we need to stop with these back-rows. We need big, mobile guys there rather than all the fetchers. Rhys Davies would have been a handy addition, I think we'll see him come back in along with James Fender in the near future. Rowlands or Jenkins can play 6 so I'd put one of those guys there. A big 6 and a decent 8 will probably allow for Reffell to do his thing. Grady has to be in on the wing, it seems a few fans don't like him though. I'd definitely have Ioan Lloyd in the 23 too.

Any injuries then I expect we might look to Sheedy. I wonder what role Anscombe is playing though.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 15159
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Oakdene Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:17 am

I agree with having either Rowlands or Jenkins at 6, the team I have posted above is what I think Gats will go with.


Oakdene

Posts : 1150
Join date : 2012-06-14

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Tramptastic Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:27 am

So, ive been told:

Schoeman
Turner
Fagerson
Gray
Cummings
Crosbie
Ritchie
M Fagerson

White
Russell
Sione
Shug

Duhan
Rowe(?!)
Steyn

Bench:

Ashman
Hepburn
Millar mills
Skinner
Dempsey
Horne
Healy
Redpath

Tramptastic

Posts : 1245
Join date : 2012-10-19
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by RDW Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:30 am

All the Ritchie missing out chat a double bluff!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32804
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:31 am

Can Grady play 15? Or has he played there much? Just trying to decide between him and Adams at FB. Sad state of affairs that we have no experienced FBs.

TAFKA The Oracle

Posts : 407
Join date : 2023-02-11

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Oakdene Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:34 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I think we need to stop with these back-rows. We need big, mobile guys there rather than all the fetchers. Rhys Davies would have been a handy addition, I think we'll see him come back in along with James Fender in the near future. Rowlands or Jenkins can play 6 so I'd put one of those guys there. A big 6 and a decent 8 will probably allow for Reffell to do his thing. Grady has to be in on the wing, it seems a few fans don't like him though. I'd definitely have Ioan Lloyd in the 23 too.

Any injuries then I expect we might look to Sheedy. I wonder what role Anscombe is playing though.

I'll admit, I haven't seen much of him but then again I have tried to keep my viewing of the regions to a minimum this season for my own good.

Oakdene

Posts : 1150
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by jimbopip Wed 31 Jan 2024, 9:36 am

Wow Shocked Just wow Shocked Shocked

5/3 split
Two debutant props; Tiffany's is experienced but Mick The Miller could be a bit green for Cardiff.
Not the back row anyone expected. Dempsey benching  Headscratch
The Mullet at 15 and no Blarehorn? Did he turn up at training and demand l'escargot and vin diesel at half time? Or was his response to a structured game plan, "Mais oui Gregoir, but we, how you say, improvise. Non?"?

If that's the selection it is a brave one. I think the back three lacks a big kicker. Given that Gatland likes teams who kick the ball more often than they pass this would seem to suggest we will spend a lot of time running the ball out of our half. What could go wrong?

jimbopip

Posts : 7133
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by BigGee Wed 31 Jan 2024, 10:10 am

Blairhorn must be injured surely if not in the squad, he would be nailed on otherwise!

Andy Christie the unlucky one to miss out. This is Crosbie's big chance, he may not get another crack if he does not show up this time.



BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15030
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Tramptastic Wed 31 Jan 2024, 10:23 am

Blarehorn has clattered his knee in training so thats why he misses out.

Fully expect during the kicking duels that Russell will be in the backfield!

Tramptastic

Posts : 1245
Join date : 2012-10-19
Age : 33
Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mountain man Wed 31 Jan 2024, 10:23 am

Well I thought there was a bit of doom and gloom on the England thread but reading some comments here makes me feel a lot better!

Can't believe so many Scotland fans are so downbeat and not confident of a win. Yes record at Cardiff is poor but those were against much better and settled Welsh teams and with notably poorer Scotland teams.

If Scotland don't beat Wales then they have a seriously fragile mindset.

Scotland have arguably the strongest team they have ever had, Wales in disarray.

Doesn't mean Scotland will definitely 100% win as cards/decisions/whatever can alter outcome and Wales always are greater than sum of parts but if Scotland lose/Wales win then something going seriously wrong somewhere.

mountain man

Posts : 2446
Join date : 2021-03-09

George Carlin, bsando and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 Jan 2024, 10:52 am

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I think we need to stop with these back-rows. We need big, mobile guys there rather than all the fetchers. Rhys Davies would have been a handy addition, I think we'll see him come back in along with James Fender in the near future. Rowlands or Jenkins can play 6 so I'd put one of those guys there. A big 6 and a decent 8 will probably allow for Reffell to do his thing. Grady has to be in on the wing, it seems a few fans don't like him though. I'd definitely have Ioan Lloyd in the 23 too.

Any injuries then I expect we might look to Sheedy. I wonder what role Anscombe is playing though.

I'll admit, I haven't seen much of him but then again I have tried to keep my viewing of the regions to a minimum this season for my own good.

He's a good player, looks a lot like 18 year old George North. He has struggled when Cardiff got outdone up front, like the Quins game, and a few jumped on just him over it. It seems like there's a group of fans just waiting for it, then they come in strike, but the reality is that he's consistently good.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 15159
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Wed 31 Jan 2024, 12:31 pm

No Bhatti!? They’re putting a lot of faith in the new props. Albeit, Nel getting injured meant it was going to be M&M or Sebastian. But didn’t think we’d see Hepburn straight away. 

They say you shouldn’t react to market movements and so it was for Ritchie. It just felt weird to me not having him in the match day squad at all. To then have two inexperienced internationals either side of the scrum would have been very bold, regardless of form. Fagerson and Dempsey both being a lot of power and energy, Skinner is a proven performer.

Steyn at fullback is perhaps a nod to stability in defence  the attacking threat that Jones would bring. I rate Steyn so no issues there. Huwipulotu over redpath? Also no qualms as it’s a tried and tested combo that has had a lot success against similar opposition. 

I feel for Blair though and hope he’s not out for too long.

bsando

Posts : 4380
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 31 Jan 2024, 2:22 pm

Bit less settled than I thought we would be if TT is correct.

The decision to pick both Ritchie and Crosbie in the back-row would be a big one with the way Dempsey and Christie are playing. I rate Crosbie higher than most on here, he does everything pretty well and is physical.

Bench front row would be experimental but Hepburn is a proven performer and in good form. Reserve TH, they picked a fit and firing journeyman over an in-recovery decent club player. No good decision to make. At least the locks are the right decision.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 2572
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by bsando Wed 31 Jan 2024, 7:15 pm

Seems that John Barclay's Times article printed today should have instead been entitled "Kyle Steyn is ready to take off for Scotland".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNYp5egnXhw&ab_channel=AndrewForde

A wee reminder of what Steyn is capable of in attack and defence. Depending on how long Kinghorn is out (if he's even injured!) perhaps Mr Reliable could make the fifteen shirt his own for a while?

bsando

Posts : 4380
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 35
Location : Inverness

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Oakdene Thu 01 Feb 2024, 7:57 am

By all accounts Wales are going to start with Winnett at full back if he passes late fitness tests.

Oakdene

Posts : 1150
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup  Empty Re: Wales vs Scotland | The Doddie Weir Cup

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum