The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+21
SmithersJones
1GrumpyGolfer
Plunky
Hibbz
Roller_Coaster
JAS
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
Yadsendew
puligny
MontysMerkin
Davie
raycastleunited
Mad for Chelsea
kwinigolfer
pedro
Be_the_ball
beninho
McLaren
Diggers
dynamark
25 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Fri 16 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

He came across very poor as did fellow lib Clegg with his constant sniping at the Brexit issue.
Good riddance to both.Libs may well be a non entity now.
Tories have to proceed with caution now and build up some confidence again.

Our fire guy at work is telling us today that they really should have gone for a full evacuation at an early stage but that runs right against all previous policy putting residents and fire staff in potentially greater danger.In Blackadder terms it would have been going 'over the top'

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm

Another resounding win for England last night. Getting the job done. Qualifying top of the group with a game to spare is a fantastic achievement, leading the way along with Germany and Belgium. Much more impressive than Spain, Italy, Portugal and France who have yet to qualify.

This England team is growing in stature. Every other nation will want to avoid us in the draw, this team is so dangerous and can beat anyone. We should be looking at reaching the semi finals as a minimum, with a good chance of going all the way.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:25 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Another resounding win for England last night. Getting the job done. Qualifying top of the group with a game to spare is a fantastic achievement, leading the way along with Germany and Belgium. Much more impressive than Spain, Italy, Portugal and France who have yet to qualify.

This England team is growing in stature. Every other nation will want to avoid us in the draw, this team is so dangerous and can beat anyone. We should be looking at reaching the semi finals as a minimum, with a good chance of going all the way.

<Emoji of red rag and bull here>

Tee hee

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Another resounding win for England last night. Getting the job done. Qualifying top of the group with a game to spare is a fantastic achievement, leading the way along with Germany and Belgium. Much more impressive than Spain, Italy, Portugal and France who have yet to qualify.

Laugh Pity there's no :fishing: emoji available...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

I know people are joking about this but Argentina and the Netherlands probably wont be teeing it up in Russia. Aren't England fans pretty thankful that you are almost guaranteed tournament football?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 06 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

The Argies could not even beat peru, they dont deserve to be at Russia 2018. I can barely name a dutch player that would get in the england squad let alone team. I am pretty, pretty, confident we have a good chance. In Gareth we trust.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 06 Oct 2017, 3:14 pm

I'm happy England have qualified and it's better to get there than not to get there.

I'd rather be an England fan than a fan of the other "home" countries or ROI (personal opinion not an attempt to be offensive) and so am indeed happy to take a "higher likelihood of" tournament football (as the use of "almost guaranteed" is way off the mark).

The flip side of course is that England get tooled at most tournaments and look terrible, which I acknowledge.

Still, this one we should harbour a realistic expectation of semi final at least Rolling Eyes

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:19 pm

McLaren wrote:I know people are joking about this but Argentina and the Netherlands probably wont be teeing it up in Russia.  Aren't England fans pretty thankful that you are almost guaranteed tournament football?

Mac, don't you think that England would prefer not to qualify than to be humiliated in the last World Cup and Euro's?

There's joy in getting to a tournament if you only qualify once in a blue moon like the Leprechaun, but if you get there most times, and when you get there you stink every time, don't you think they'd rather watch something else?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

Or like Scotland,
Oh no wait Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:41 pm

Even if Scotland get to a play off, they won't go any further.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:44 pm

You never know.

For Ireland to get a play off spot, have to hope win last 2 games and hope Scotland fail to win their final game.

Not in a bad way, hoping they don’t make it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:50 pm

If Scotland or Oirland qualified it would only benefit England, as there would be one team there guaranteed to be worse than them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

Jesus Effing Christ, I've just realised that Dianne Abbot is the Shadow Home Secretary. She makes Sarah Palin look like the worlds finest ever stateswomen. Surely even a w.anchor like Corbyn must realise this is political suicide?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

super_realist wrote:

Mac, don't you think that England would prefer not to qualify than to be humiliated in the last World Cup and Euro's?

No. The seasons Man Utd failed to qualify for the UCL were some of the worst for me as a supporter. I would far rather be part of the main stage and get a beating than not be there at all.

I assume England fans feel the same about their team and major tournaments.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

No.  The seasons Man Utd failed to qualify for the UCL were some of the worst for me as a supporter.  I would far rather be part of the main stage and get a beating than not be there at all.

I assume England fans feel the same about their team and major tournaments.

Mac, that's not an equivalent because Man United are a team who routinely contend (or did at the time, or have done)

As for being a "supporter", is that exchangeable with "casual observer"?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

Not sure, what are your definitions "supporter" and "casual observer"?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:23 pm

To me a "supporter" is someone who makes an active contribution to the club.

You, (as it appears to me) are someone who simply "likes" Man United. I don't see how this adds any benefit (or support) to the club when all you are is someone who is "fond" of an idea. Hence, you're just someone with a like of something, but without genuine reason for the attachment, and whose involvement doesn't go beyond liking them.

It's also funny that you talk as if you are part of it. ("I would much rather be part of it and get a beating"). How are you part of it? Seems quite delusional that you have a feeling of belonging to something you aren't actually physically part of.

It's hilarious when "fans" talk in this "We won" type of fashion.

The funny thing about football, is that it's somehow seen as something which is ok to attach oneself to despite not actually being involved, yet actively participating in something like golf, is seen to be sad and embarrassing. Strange.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/gareth-bale-builds-17th-at-tpc-sawgrass-in-his-back-garden-84125
Which hole would you choose?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

7th at Pebble Beach, with the ocean surrounding it - maybe at my bijou pad on one of the forts between the IOW and Portsmouth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 08 Oct 2017, 8:26 pm

I mean, really?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/08/dove-apologises-for-ad-showing-black-woman-turning-into-white-one

Presumably, these advertising campaigns have some sort of vetting process? Did the conversation go something like?

- How can we advertise our product?
- Show it turning a black woman into a white one, thus improving her appearance?
- Brilliant!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 08 Oct 2017, 8:38 pm

MFC

Really hard to understand why anyone would suggest that as an idea and even more baffling that it actually became an advert.

Obviously the demographics of advertising haven't progressed far from the days of mad men.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 08 Oct 2017, 10:14 pm

Who cares. I wouldn't care if a white woman turned into a black woman, so who gives a toss?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 08 Oct 2017, 10:35 pm

Well the lotion is white, isn't it? boxing

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:54 am

super_realist wrote:Who cares. I wouldn't care if a white woman turned into a black woman, so who gives a toss?
Do you really not understand the issue and the history here?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:34 am

They also had a previous advert with three women gradually getting lighter, with the sign behind saying before and after.

Anyone that cant see that both adverts are wrong, even if not intentionally wrong, is clearly a bit daft.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

Super

The dove ad is a nod to the old racist ads where black people become white after using the product.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 DLpc_TqXcAMnywGAnother Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 DLpc9-cXcAUJwIz

who gives a toss?  Thankfully lots of people.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 09 Oct 2017, 1:09 pm

Good post mac.

What is just as shocking is Unilever's response, apologising and saying they "missed the mark". Missed the mark? What, so you were trying to be racist but got it wrong? They need a much better apology.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 09 Oct 2017, 1:18 pm

I dont understand the marketing at all, how is it even selling Dove?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 09 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

super_realist wrote:

No way. Would much rather be at the party than watch from the outside. I have watched 2 tournaments without England (1994 and 2008) and both were miserable.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 09 Oct 2017, 1:24 pm

beninho wrote:I dont understand the marketing at all, how is it even selling Dove?

In many countries / cultures, being fair is more attractive than being dark. In countries like India and Nigeria most women use cosmetic products to lighten their skin tone. Dark = peasant, Fair = wealthy / successful.

Ironic really when you go to somewhere like Liverpool and all the women are obsessed with tanning.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

The dove ad is a nod to the old racist ads where black people become white after using the product.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 DLpc_TqXcAMnywGAnother Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 19 DLpc9-cXcAUJwIz

who gives a toss?  Thankfully lots of people.

Mac, I'm not excusing it, but as usual, you're seeing it through your myopic "let's find racism anywhere" eye without actually considering what the advert might be about, or what other parts of the advert show.

You may have missed that there is also a white woman changing into an Asian women in their advert too. Are you offended about that? I'm not saying the campaign is one which should have got through the committee stage, but as usual, you're jumping into the realms of synthetic outrage based on your inability to look into actual meanings. Based on that knowledge and the other part of the advert, it's clear that the message that the product is supposed to make you feel like a new person, not that it will make the colour of your skin more attractive. Although it's fairly predictable that SJW's like you will pounce on anything.

It really is true when they say we have to walk at the same speed as the slowest in society, and in that case, it's the pace at which you get on the bus Mac.

Maybe it's just possible that people are actually trying to look PAST racism now and not making the knee jerk reaction you are notorious for. Maybe it's possible that companies are hoping that people like you are a bit more progressive and can actually see that a person is just a person and the first thing they notice isn't the colour of their skin.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Oct 2017, 6:32 pm

It's a phenomenally ill conceived campaign, who changes from what colour to another is irrelevant really, it doesn't make any sense and could only end badly. I can't imagine why they would want to put forward a racist campaign so can only blame rank stupidity.
A shame really as Dove have in the past actually been a rare brand in promoting a more realistic body image.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

Diggers wrote:It's a phenomenally ill conceived campaign, who changes from what colour to another is irrelevant really, it doesn't make any sense and could only end badly. I can't imagine why they would want to put forward a racist campaign so can only blame rank stupidity.
A shame really as Dove have in the past actually been a rare brand in promoting a more realistic body image.

It's an incredibly lazy and poorly thought out campaign, but it doesn't mean they were being racist as you point out, especially in light of the fact that other parts of the advert have been cut out of the main reporting which Mac leapt on so eagerly.

IF the advert was only a black woman changing into a white woman, yes, I'd say it could easily be interpreted as being racist, however what Mac is missing in his frothing disgust is that other parts of the advert attempt to show that race isn't a part of it. Yes, a stupid concept, but not a racist one.

I presume Mac probably didn't pass English at school as his ability to discern context is clouded by his urgency to express his rampant virtue signalling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:51 pm

Not sure where to go from here super? I have accepted the case for the ad being racist and it doesn't seem like you ever will. I think there is more to this than "lets find racism everywhere" and even the company themselves have admitted it was racist, if in a rather spineless manner.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

It was picked up in America, plenty of people have raised issues with it, it could be construed badly in the 3 second gif that was adverised. The fact that a previous advert was picked up saying before and after with a black girl and white girl shows how terrible dove have been. I also saw something posted showing a bottle saying for normal to dark skin. Thats also pretty poor.

Is it racist, not sure, can it be construed as racist, yep. I dont like the view that people are wrong if they see things and express an.opinion on something dobe badly which could offend plenty of people.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:01 pm

Mac, I'm not saying that it could be MISCONSTRUED as racist IF THAT BIT IS ALL YOU SEE. You seem to be ignoring the fact the advert had OTHER aspects to it and have made no attempt to acknowledge that or even consider that as part of the story.

You also don't seem to be able to see that PERHAPS a company is trying to encourage people to look BEYOND race for a change, but it seems that is all you can see because you are triggered by anything which you see from your position of never being able to consider anything other than your own predetermined mindset. So maybe you ought to be asking about your own latent racism, and how you perceive certain images.

The company haven't accepted it was racist, they apologised for offence caused if people thought it was racist.

Here's their tweet on the matter, but as usual, seems you haven't bothered to look it up.

https://twitter.com/Dove?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

You really are the worst virtue signaller since Lily Allen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:47 pm

Hi folks .Comment on the Dunhill amateurs scores which were stupidly low.
Rock and McFadden were 37 under which means MacF must have been 23 under for 4 rounds.
So I'm assuming they were not adjusting their personal handicaps after each round which you or I would have to do.Donaldson and his partner who I think were 40 under probably even more out there as Donaldson missed the cut.
I know its a bit of a jolly but at TOC etc it would be appropriate to actually stick to the rules of go
Might take a trip up there next year.new hip week on Friday so back on the course next spring.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:59 pm

Dyna

I can't answer what they were up to with the handicaps but wouldn't the event be more interesting with regular folks taking the places of the celebs?

Get men, women, juniors from clubs all over the land playing with the pros?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:00 pm

Super

Maybe the regressive left are trawling you?

Is this not covered in douglas Murray 101?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:04 pm

Mac, The Dunhill is attended poorly enough as it is. Who wants to see a club golfer in there? No one is going to be interested in seeing the likes of you or me there.

I'm presuming that there must be a strange way of calculating the scores for each pairing Dyna, as there is no way that Brian McFadden (or any celebrity) would be 23 under for 4 rounds even if he had a bandit handicap. It wasn't the lack of a handicap cut after every round that led to a score of -23 for McFadden. There must have been some sort of bonus going on there to boost scores.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Maybe the regressive left are trawling you?

Is this not covered in douglas Murray 101?

Trawling? You can't even do that properly Mac, it's TROLLING you oaf.

As for Douglas Murray, he talks a lot of sense on Islam in particular and the soppiness of the left, shame you are so  irrational that disagreeing with someone on one point, it means you have to disagree with them on everything. That's a very childish way to carry on. I'd certainly rather listen to Murray, than Owen Jones, which seems to be your angle on everything.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:16 pm

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2017/tournamentid=2017082/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y#/proam

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm

Looking at the scores, it's clearly worked that if both players get a birdie on a hole, they are marked as getting an eagle. It's probably not just a better ball score, either that or every player has a handicap about 20 above their actual handicap. The Old Course is easy, but to think that an amateur is going to contribute that much against a pro who is also playing well.

Why would they get cut anyway? Doesn't look like all their scores count. So what's to cut? You don't get cut in a scramble either.

It's very fishy for so many players to have so many good scores, no indication what tees they are off either, could well be the reds.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:14 pm

Great result for the Irish. I will never hear a bad word about saint Martin. Still a legend at the chairboys, and manager when I first started supporting them.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 09 Oct 2017, 11:21 pm

Strachan: "Genetically, we are behind".

Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 Oct 2017, 12:44 am

Gordie's auditioning for a Dove ad.

Looking at guys like Bannan and Brady it's amazing to moi that England have no-one who can deliver a decent dead ball - Rashford's awful, plus he's supposed to be a goalscorer. What's the point? Kane'll be taking corners again next.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 10 Oct 2017, 8:35 am

Dunhill I thought by the scoring they were playing individual ball and counting both scores need to have another look .
I'm assuming the 'celebs' pay a whopping entry fee for the event which helps to fund the thing
as with Trilby tour.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Oct 2017, 8:38 am

Yeah, I think entry is 10k minimum for the Dunhill. Obviously I'd love to play in it, but not paying that to play a course I get for free.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 10 Oct 2017, 9:05 am

I think perhaps a ballot for a smattering of club golfers in the Dunhill would be good. True, the paying crowd don't give a toss about seeing the likes of us but I think it would be good. Not sure what the sponsors would get out of it mind!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 10 Oct 2017, 9:57 am

Aren't most of the partners just rich businessmen who play golf. then you have the sportsmen, and family members.

Rules are -
Championship Format
The Alfred Dunhill Links Championship incorporates two separate competitions - an individual professional tournament for 168 of the world's leading golfers and a Team Championship in which each professional is paired with one of 168 amateurs. Play is over three courses in rotation over the first three days – the Old Course St Andrews, the Championship Course Carnoustie and Kingsbarns Golf Links - with the final round being played over the Old Course.
After three rounds the field is reduced to the leading 60 professionals and those tying for 60th place, and the leading 20 teams. Amateurs receive a stroke allowance equal to two thirds of their official handicap to a maximum of 18 for men and 24 for women. The team score is the lower of the professional's and his amateur partner's net score at each hole.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:50 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/10/i-am-woman-racist-dove-ad-not-a-victim

lets hope this clears it up, basically its just a balls up by the marketing company trying to cut a 30 second advert with a decent meaning.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next