The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February

+77
David-Douglas
Poorfour
trebellbobaggins
stub
Heaf
WELL-PAST-IT
whocares
majesticimperialman
Rugby Fan
greenandpleasantland
Duty281
Shifty
21st Century Schizoid Man
overlordofthewest
RossAnderson
funnyExiledScot
Steffan
Geordie
nickj
beshocked
GLove39
lostinwales
TrailApe
EST
mid_gen
Tramptastic
Noble-Surfer
BlueNote
BamBam
cakeordeath
Eejit
Gwlad
alive555
chris_501
reallybored
ChequeredJersey
Tattie Scones RRN
TheMildlyFranticLlama
sensisball
Cardiff Dave
No9
No 7&1/2
RiscaGame
RuggerRadge2611
emack2
NeilyBroon
mikey_dragon
Cyril
BigGee
jimbopip
bsando
highland_scot
Luckless Pedestrian
IanBru
tigertattie
Sgt_Pooly
yappysnap
carpet baboon
maestegmafia
Hazel Sapling
LordDowlais
monty junior
Mad for Chelsea
TightHEAD
R!skysports
RDW
des
munkian
compelling and rich
EWT Spoons
cascough
SecretFly
eirebilly
LondonTiger
TJ
Scottrf
George Carlin
81 posters

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Empty 6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February

Post by George Carlin Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:23 am

First topic message reminder :

6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Wales_106N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Scot_f10

WALES v SCOTLAND
3 February 2018
KO: 14:15 GMT
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Live on [ITV, RTE, SC4, FR2, DMAX / BBC (H)]

Referee: Pascal Gaüzère (France)
Assistant 1: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 2: Matthew Carley (England)
TMO: David Grashoff (England)

A. Head to Head

122 Played 122
70 Won 49
3 Drawn 3
49 Lost 70
1,624 Points 1,263

B. Recent Form

9 March 2013
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
18–28 to Wales

15 March 2014
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
51–3 to Wales

15 February 2015
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
23–26 to Wales

13 February 2016
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
27–23 to Wales

25 February 2017
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
29–13 to Scotland

C. Teams

WALES 
6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Welsh_10
Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets); Josh Adams (Worcester), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Steff Evans (Scarlets); Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, capt), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

SCOTLAND
6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Scotty10
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons), Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks); Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors); Gordon Reid (London Irish), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh), Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh), Jonny Gray, John Barclay (Scarlets, captain), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh), Cornell du Preez (Edinburgh).

Replacements: Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors), Murray McCallum (Edinburgh), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Clermont Auvergne), Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Maitland (Saracens).

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:43 am; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Empty Re: 6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:24 pm

reallybored wrote:We've been the better team for the past 12 months; played better rugby, scored more points and won more games.

We were without our head coach for the best part of 2 years. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Empty Re: 6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:28 pm

An actual point to talk about. I was informed the last time wales won the 6ns under howley in 30.3 drubbing it was gatland team.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
reallybored wrote:We've been the better team for the past 12 months; played better rugby, scored more points and won more games.

We were without our head coach for the best part of 2 years. Very Happy
Change of heart with the first response?

That was the WRU and Gats' decision but the flip side is that he then selects all your lads and they become Lions Legends.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:34 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:No they're not, and no they're not.

Here you go, have a read of some of these and tell me how they are different to what Gwlad has been saying:-

Hazel Sapling wrote:If Scotland get parity at the scrum, they really should be able to pull apart Wales.

IanBru wrote:I'm going for Wales 10 - Scotland 29

tigertattie wrote:Wales 22 - 34 Scotland

Hazel Sapling wrote:Same HS. All we need is scrum parity and a good pitch.
Wales 19 - 34 Scotland

BigGee wrote:A lot of our players now know they can beat Wales

Hazel Sapling wrote:Anyway, this is the reason why I tend to avoid Welsh threads. If you don't say Wales are going to win then you are insane.

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I think it will be quite a resounding victory

TJ wrote:Personally I don't Wales have the firepower to score enough to win whereas I am confident Scotland will score tries

RuggerRadge2611 wrote: I do think we will win the match with a bit to spare.

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Into the backs it's kind of one way traffic, Scotland have the advantage and form, from 9 to 15.

reallybored wrote:I will be immensely disappointed if we don't win at the weekend.

I'm repeating myself here, but not one Scottish poster has said that Scotland are certain to win. Contrast that with Gwlad's post.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:36 pm

Scots still smarting from Lions selection and dont have true self confidence yet.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:37 pm

Gwlad wrote: Scots still smarting from Lions selection and dont have true self confidence yet.

For the record I couldn't give a toss about that, but I assume you meant the players. Smile

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:39 pm

Gwlad wrote: Scots still smarting from Lions selection and dont have true self confidence yet.

Justifiably...as Lions would'a won the series with a good handful more of them?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:45 pm

Yep.

Hope you end up with the Wooden Spoon.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:46 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm repeating myself here, but not one Scottish poster has said that Scotland are certain to win. Contrast that with Gwlad's post.

good god LP, you can be trying on here at times. So members like Hazel sapling saying that all they need is parity and a good pitch and they will score 34pts and beat us is any different is it ? Or people saying that it will be a resounding victory or with a bit to spare is any different ?

Or the fact that they are predicting scores for Scotland that double what Wales will score is any different ? come on.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:50 pm

Where do you think wales hold the advantage ld?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm repeating myself here, but not one Scottish poster has said that Scotland are certain to win. Contrast that with Gwlad's post.

good god LP, you can be trying on here at times. So members like Hazel sapling saying that all they need is parity and a good pitch and they will score 34pts and beat us is any different is it ? Or people saying that it will be a resounding victory or with a bit to spare is any different ?

Or the fact that they are predicting scores for Scotland that double what Wales will score is any different ? come on.

Predictions are predictions. Insults are insults, Lord. If I say I think I'd beat you in a fist fight - that's a prediction. If you laugh at me and say I couldn't come out on top in a fist fight against your grandmother with one arm tied behind her back...that is an insult. It might be true...Wink...but it's lined up as an insult.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Where do you think wales hold the advantage ld?
It's obvious:

They have more Lions, so ergo vis a vis their players are better (i.e. Halfpenny (4 Lions tests)  >  Hogg (0 Lions tests) ).

Our players have been playing in Cardiff since 2002 and haven't been able to win once, so what chance do these very same players have this weekend if they've lost the last 8 times.  ZERO CHANCE!!

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:good god LP, you can be trying on here at times. So members like Hazel sapling saying that all they need is parity and a good pitch and they will score 34pts and beat us is any different is it ? Or people saying that it will be a resounding victory or with a bit to spare is any different ?
I don't recall saying Scotland would need a good pitch. It would be nice though, so maybe we can play somewhere other than the Admiral InsurancePrincipality Building Society Dome?

Edit: I get confused about providers of financial services.

Last edited by IanBru on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:59 pm

Don't mind that at all SF. Very Happy

And yes you are correct, every single word.

But, when mikey or Gwlad do this they are trolling/wumming. If anybody else does it, then it's fair game. Do you reckon this is fair ?

I have said on this very thread, this is the first time in about a decade I am nervous about this fixture, but I reckon we have them in the forwards, but Scotland shade it in the backs, but you need your forwards to get on top to fully take the advantage you might have with the backs.

Wales will defend like there is no tomorrow, I have no doubt about it, man for man we have some big units in the backs. If Wales win, it will be won with the boot of Halfpenny and forward dominance. But if we take our eye off things for a second, those Scottish backs will tear us a new hole.

We went into the last WC decimated by injuries, and I had this very same conversation on here with our English members, and we know how that game ended. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:03 pm

BlueNote wrote:I see the Western Mail is predicting:

L. Halfpenny; G. North, S. Williams, H. Parkes, H. Amos; R. Patchell, G. Davies; R. Evans, K. Owens, S. Lee, B. Davies, A. W. Jones (capt), A. Shingler, J. Navidi, J. Tipuric. Reps: S. Baldwin, W. Jones, T. Francis, C. Hill, R. Moriarty, A. Davies, O. Williams, J. Adams.

I think they will be spot on too.

I hope Amos is fit, as he was always supposed to be borderline. Add to that North not really being 100% fit and then Halfpenny at 15, it's a huge advantage to Scotland in my opinion.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Don't mind that at all SF. Very Happy

But, when mikey or Gwlad do this they are trolling/wumming. If anybody else does it, then it's fair game. Do you reckon this is fair ?

I have said on this very thread, this is the first time in about a decade I am nervous about this fixture, but I reckon we have them in the forwards, but Scotland shade it in the backs, but you need your forwards to get on top to fully take the advantage you might have with the backs.

Wales will defend like there is no tomorrow, I have no doubt about it, man for man we have some big units in the backs. If Wales win, it will be won with the boot of Halfpenny and forward dominance. But if we take our eye off things for a second, those Scottish backs will tear us a new hole.

We went into the last WC decimated by injuries, and I had this very same conversation on here with our English members, and we know how that game ended. Very Happy
I'm not convinced the packs are quite so one sided, I'd definitely takes Rob Evans but other than that I'm not convinced you're better than us man for man.

Ken Owens is a class player but McInally is in great form and was one of our stand-out performers in the AIs.

Samson Lee probably edges Welsh but can he do this http://home.bt.com/video/newcastle-prop-attempts-outrageous-chip-and-chase-91364130955486

Not discussing second row, you'll think yours are better and I'll know otherwise.

Back-rows are likely to be similar in balance. I really rate Shingler as a blindside but Watson and Barclay are both class, obviously neither will get the accolades Tipuric gets and Navidi is little more than solid imo.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:10 pm

Yeah england coped worse with our injuries and Lancaster retreated to a forward based game rather than progress the backs as we had done in previous games. Don't think townsend will go down that route myself.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

But no one else has done it, Dowlais! (Apart from ebop of course, but he's just trying to get a rise out of Gwlad and Mikey, so that's fine.)

There's a difference between saying you think your team will win and declaring your team can't possibly lose.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm

Looking forward to the annual loss of wifi passwords that occurs in Wales in February/March

I hear it may even spread to Canada this year

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

reallybored wrote:

I'm not convinced the packs are quite so one sided, I'd definitely takes Rob Evans but other than that I'm not convinced you're better than us man for man.

Ken Owens is a class player but McInally is in great form and was one of our stand-out performers in the AIs.

Samson Lee probably edges Welsh but can he do this http://home.bt.com/video/newcastle-prop-attempts-outrageous-chip-and-chase-91364130955486

Not discussing second row, you'll think yours are better and I'll know otherwise.

Back-rows are likely to be similar in balance. I really rate Shingler as a blindside but Watson and Barclay are both class, obviously neither will get the accolades Tipuric gets and Navidi is little more than solid imo.

Our front row has been quite good for a while now, the thing is, both our props are young, and are now only starting to come of age, they are Scarlets front row, and they have been beasting teams for a while now.

Also, we have decent replacements to come on as well, again young, Tomas Francis and Nicky Smith, these pair have been around for what seems like ages, but they are young as well.

I know Scotland have decent starting front rowers, but seldom do these players last for more than 50/60 mins these days, what do you have in reserve ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

I know Scotland have decent starting front rowers, but seldom do these players last for more than 50/60 mins these days, what do you have in reserve ?

Depending on who starts at Loosehead it will be experienced Gordon Reid or up and coming youngstr Jamie Bhattie who made his debut in the Autumn.

Hooker will be Scott Lawson - experienced but at 36 his international years should have been well behind him

Tighthead wlll be uncapped youngsters Murray McCallum or D'Arcy Rae

So bascially I hope it's not close with 20 minutes to go or our scrum will be leaking a lot of penalties!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
reallybored wrote:I'm not convinced the packs are quite so one sided, I'd definitely takes Rob Evans but other than that I'm not convinced you're better than us man for man.

Our front row has been quite good for a while now, the thing is, both our props are young, and are now only starting to come of age, they are Scarlets front row, and they have been beasting teams for a while now.

Also, we have decent replacements to come on as well, again young, Tomas Francis and Nicky Smith, these pair have been around for what seems like ages, but they are young as well.

Was Nicky Smith the one Gatland was too scared to bring back on against Georgia?

Sounds like Reid (27 caps) is likely to be on the bench, this isn't a terrible replacement considering our injuries at LH.

The TH is far more of an unknown; Murray McCallum is uncapped and initially came through as at LH, however he's done a good job when called upon at TH, I'm quietly confident he'll hold his own at scrum-time.

Confident that Scott Lawson will do fine when he comes on, plenty of experience, good darts and in good form for Newcastle.

Last edited by reallybored on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:So bascially I hope it's not close with 20 minutes to go or our scrum will be leaking a lot of penalties!

Yes, for all this talk of Wales playing like Scarlets and Scotland cutting lose, I think this is where the game will be won or lost, no offence to you or Scotland, but none of the names you have mentioned fill me with fear. We have, although very young, but very experienced players in the front row and on the bench, add AWJ and Bradley Davies to this, then there is some serious power there.

Scotland need to run away with the game early doors if they are to win this one, something they are very capable of as well, might I add.

There will be no scores like what is predicted at the start of this thread in my opinion, I think Wales will look to keep it tight, and then try and cut lose on the hour, gaining territory from pens won in the set piece.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:So bascially I hope it's not close with 20 minutes to go or our scrum will be leaking a lot of penalties!

Yes, for all this talk of Wales playing like Scarlets and Scotland cutting lose, I think this is where the game will be won or lost, no offence to you or Scotland, but none of the names you have mentioned fill me with fear. We have, although very young, but very experienced players in the front row and on the bench, add AWJ and Bradley Davies to this, then there is some serious power there.

Scotland need to run away with the game early doors if they are to win this one, something they are very capable of as well, might I add.

There will be no scores like what is predicted at the start of this thread in my opinion, I think Wales will look to keep it tight, and then try and cut lose on the hour, gaining territory from pens won in the set piece.

To be fair none of them need to fill Wales with fear, they just need to be able to hold there own so that we can play are own game. As has been mentioned previously Scotland's gameplan doesn't require us to complete dominate in the set piece, we just need to be competitive enough to allow our attacking game a platform to work from.

If our front row and reserve front row can manage to hold their own and keep penalties to a minimum (remembering how much of a lottery scrums are these days) then we'll be in a good position. If not we're going to have to really rely on some of our X-factor players to do something magical!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:33 pm

I'm sure Scotland will be terrified of AWJ's power

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:47 pm

BamBam wrote:I'm sure Scotland will be terrified of AWJ's power

Are you going to add anything of substance to this topic ? Or are you just in here to troll ?

In fact, why are you on a Wales V Scotland thread ? All the comments you have made on here have nowt all to do with the game on Saturday. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:49 pm

"I hope Amos is fit, as he was always supposed to be borderline. Add to that North not really being 100% fit and then Halfpenny at 15, it's a huge advantage to Scotland in my opinion."

Agreed, Risca. I like Amos, and if he's fit, he seems to get back up to speed pretty quickly, so I'd be less worried. George North, I've given up knowing what to expect from him, but recent signs haven't been good. I worry there aren't enough threats in that back division. Two unfit or out of form wingers and 1/2p at FB would be less than terrifying for Scotland.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:52 pm

Just picking apart the bluster as ever LD. I'm on the thread as I'm being educated on players I haven't seen much of by the Scottish posters, and now know who/what to look out for

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

It was clearly more than one predicting a thumping dished out to Wales from Scotland. LP has this thing where he agrees with anyone saying anything demeaning about Wales - proper oddball that guy.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:59 pm

Don't tell me you can't see the difference between predicting a win and claiming a win is inevitable?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 29 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Don't tell me you can't see the difference between predicting a win and claiming a win is inevitable?

That's what you are thinking though.

What we are saying is, that there are many Scottish members who are thinking that a Scottish win is inevitable. Why you cannot see that in the examples I have provided only you and God will ever know.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 5:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:No they're not, and no they're not.

Here you go, have a read of some of these and tell me how they are different to what Gwlad has been saying:-

Hazel Sapling wrote:If Scotland get parity at the scrum, they really should be able to pull apart Wales.

IanBru wrote:I'm going for Wales 10 - Scotland 29

tigertattie wrote:Wales 22 - 34 Scotland

Hazel Sapling wrote:Same HS. All we need is scrum parity and a good pitch.
Wales 19 - 34 Scotland

BigGee wrote:A lot of our players now know they can beat Wales

Hazel Sapling wrote:Anyway, this is the reason why I tend to avoid Welsh threads. If you don't say Wales are going to win then you are insane.

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I think it will be quite a resounding victory

TJ wrote:Personally I don't Wales have the firepower to score enough to win whereas I am confident Scotland will score tries

RuggerRadge2611 wrote: I do think we will win the match with a bit to spare.

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Into the backs it's kind of one way traffic, Scotland have the advantage and form, from 9 to 15.

reallybored wrote:I will be immensely disappointed if we don't win at the weekend.

I backed up my comments with evidence. That's the differance! kiss
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 29 Jan 2018, 5:10 pm

I see what you mean, LD, but I think it would be a little tiring to have to write:

"Wales 10 - 29 Scotland... but I might be wrong."

"Wales have a terrible red-zone conversion rate... but that might not necessarily be borne out in this tournament."

"Wales lost to an Australian team that Scotland beat comfortably... but obviously two matches against the same opposition in a two-week period bear no resemblance to reality and we're better basing our predictions on the fortunes of the 2002 Scotland rugby team and the entrails of Flopsy the Goat smeared on my pateo."

Doesn't every prediction contain an implied admission that, as predictions precede the event, they are necessarily the result of opinion and subject to inherent uncertainty?

Or when I write "Wales 10 - 29 Scotland", am I rejecting the merest possibility that the score might deviate from this set-in-stone statement of clairvoyant fact?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 29 Jan 2018, 5:20 pm

BamBam wrote:Looking forward to the annual loss of wifi passwords that occurs in Wales in February/March

Yes, Kingsley Jones is probably quite upset over losing to Uruguay as it is.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:06 pm

What the f*** is a pateo?! Sounds exotic!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:10 pm

IanBru wrote:I see what you mean, LD, but I think it would be a little tiring to have to write:

"Wales 10 - 29 Scotland... but I might be wrong."

"Wales have a terrible red-zone conversion rate... but that might not necessarily be borne out in this tournament."

"Wales lost to an Australian team that Scotland beat comfortably... but obviously two matches against the same opposition in a two-week period bear no resemblance to reality and we're better basing our predictions on the fortunes of the 2002 Scotland rugby team and the entrails of Flopsy the Goat smeared on my pateo."

Doesn't every prediction contain an implied admission that, as predictions precede the event, they are necessarily the result of opinion and subject to inherent uncertainty?

Or when I write "Wales 10 - 29 Scotland", am I rejecting the merest possibility that the score might deviate from this set-in-stone statement of clairvoyant fact?

So what you’re saying really is that both Scotland AND Wales have a chance?! Maybe not the same chance, but a chance nonetheless. Should have said so the first time!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:46 pm

England does be having a good...maybe even a very good chance.
Wales have a chance.... but not more than England have a chance and certainly not more than Scotland have a chance, who themselves have a chance.
Ireland also have a chance, maybe even a good chance...but not a better chance than England coz England is the bestest at numero 2 in the World and does be having the exciting coach that talks a lot of shyte but funny shyte.  Eddie always has a chance, especially in his own mind.
Scotland have a .................. oh I did them.
France have a chance and maybe even a not so good chance considering they had to steal Italy's bestest coach that never talked shyte but still seldom had a chance.

Italy have a.........................................

em.....................

the theory is..... she's breaking up!  She's breaking up!

You see, The Oracle.  Your theory of being nice to everyone, it don't work in practice.

Back to Ireland are going to smash all of you  and I don't give a F*&k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yahoo

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:The word huge is perhaps OTT, but it doesn't take much of an argument to say that Scotland have the more potent backline

Yes, now this i can agree with, but you used the term HUGE, which as you say is OTT.

You seem to be assuming that every Scottish poster is the same person - Radge made the original post using the word huge...

Thanks for the support Lando Wink

Ya dancer that's a corker from Fife Boy. It took me a couple of seconds to mull it over but then BOOM!

Radge wins the internet today!

6N 2018: Wales v Scotland, 3 February - Page 8 Tumblr_oig906SiHF1uyojm3o9_r1_250

Laugh

I know Radge is part Welsh so just keeping him on his toes Hug

Don't spread that around too much, Scrum V is already a guilty pleasure, next thing you know I'll be getting a geographical call up for the Lions... kiss Sorry Run
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:07 pm

I'm revising my prediction

Wales 13

Scotland 57
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Scrum parity is our weak point (outside of restarts). It was 29-13 last year with a first choice Wales backline. Saying that a backline shorn of J Davies, Webb, Biggar (and Priestland), L Williams and potentially G North is going to do worse defensively (by 5 points or 1 unconverted try) is not really that wild a push. Gatland is trying to move to a new style of play and the results have been...mixed. I reckon Wales will become a better attacking side with the new strategy and score more (something I put into that score).

We struggle when teams overpower us and Wales are looking to move away from that. If they do go with a new style, they run into a Glasgow (and by extension Scotland) backline that has been doing it under the Cotter/Townsend/Rennie regimes (all top attacking coaches who have won Pro12, Top 14 and Super Rugby titles) for the last 5 seasons. Scarlets have gone well but club form is apparently something that is to be ignored until proven internationally.

I have watched most Scotland games over the last year. We struggled against France who destroyed our scrum and England who ripped us a new one (all around the park, it was a complete humiliation and a well executed game plan). Hence the if on scrum parity. I could say barring injuries or cards on the day, but adding several sentences of disclaimers every time I predict a score seems too much like an advert. You are welcome to predict whatever you like on a fan forum. I don't think my reasoning is particularly harsh that Davies, Patchell, Parkes, S Williams is a step down from Webb, Biggar, S Williams, J Davies. Now if you tell me you are going to play Warrenball and put Roberts at 12...

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:21 pm

Wales 24 - 19 Scotland.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:29 pm

The Oracle wrote:What the f*** is a pateo?! Sounds exotic!

Oracle, the Bru lives in sin with the Hagia Sophia in up-market Jesmond On Tyne so "pateo" is probably a phonetic rendering of what he calls the moss covered concrete slabs outside his back door.

Also, without getting into the arrogance/confidence thing....
Ritchie Gray has pulled out of the squad and the Scottish posters are fairly sanguine about it. Not so long ago we'd have been weeping and wailing and gnashing the teeth. I think that's a fair reflection of how things have changed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

BamBam wrote:Looking forward to the annual loss of wifi passwords that occurs in Wales in February/March

Still running this tired old joke are you? I’ve always seen you use it against maestegmafia but really have no clue how it’s latching on to me now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
BlueNote wrote:I see the Western Mail is predicting:

L. Halfpenny; G. North, S. Williams, H. Parkes, H. Amos; R. Patchell, G. Davies; R. Evans, K. Owens, S. Lee, B. Davies, A. W. Jones (capt), A. Shingler, J. Navidi, J. Tipuric. Reps: S. Baldwin, W. Jones, T. Francis, C. Hill, R. Moriarty, A. Davies, O. Williams, J. Adams.

I think they will be spot on too.

I hope Amos is fit, as he was always supposed to be borderline. Add to that North not really being 100% fit and then Halfpenny at 15, it's a huge advantage to Scotland in my opinion.

If that is the team then the back 3 is all wrong. There’s no reason to pick unfit and out of form wingers, particularly in North’s case. I think Amos and Halfpenny will be okay, but it’s still a big risk and hands an advantage to Scotland. As I’ve already said Aled Davies stepping onto the pitch will also give Scotland an advantage when their open-sides get to him, so the bench isn’t great either.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 Jan 2018, 1:31 am

Scottrf wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Scottrf, what is your problem with Wales/Welsh ? Did somebody from Wales hurt you ?

Also, Gwlad does not make up 60% of us Welsh on here.

Nothing with Welsh, just some of their posters here. Have you missed Mikey's posts?

Headscratch You're acting quite strange lately, and it's not the first time you've been following me around here either. People have been saying that others are in their rights to have an opinion and my opinion was that some of the predictions from Scots (some, not all) were delusional and dumbfounded. I wasn't the only one to allude to that yet the moment I do you're on it like a fly on s*^t. I see some of your responses also resort to saying derogatory stuff about the Wales team and fans (we're used to it) yet you and others are the ones coming on here crying wolf when someone has a different point of view. You're just here to troll me and a few other welsh right?

I think for some unknown reason you've also confused a few of my comments with Gwlad's. I don't share his opinion on the matter of Wales vs Scotland just to clear that up. I have nothing but admiration for what Townsend and Scotland have achieved more recently. In this match I think Wales can edge the win given the Scotland casualty list in the more vital positions, and that's assuming Wales have improved since the Howler was given free reign. Anyone can disagree with that, like I disagree with humping and fifth place finish predictions for Wales.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 30 Jan 2018, 5:48 am

Scotch tight 5 already creaking and we haven't started yet

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:03 am

Roof open or closed?

The rugby world is waiting with bated breath.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:27 am

TightHEAD wrote:Roof open or closed?

The rugby world is waiting with bated breath.

Ajar.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:32 am

Gwlad wrote:Scotch tight 5 already creaking and we haven't started yet

I know it can be difficult to tell the difference between an alcoholic beverage and a national identity but there is a subtle difference;

Scotch = Alcoholic beverage

Scottish = National identity

I hope this clears this up for you

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jan 2018, 8:57 am

Tramptastic wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Scotch tight 5 already creaking and we haven't started yet

I know it can be difficult to tell the difference between an alcoholic beverage and a national identity but there is a subtle difference;

Scotch = Alcoholic beverage

Scottish = National identity

I hope this clears this up for you

You've fallen for his trap, Tramptastic. He's on the wind up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next