The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+19
TexasWedge
Be_the_ball
super_realist
Diggers
superflyweight
dynamark
JAS
I'm never wrong
NedB-H
pedro
navyblueshorts
Davie
kwinigolfer
westisbest
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
wiretapper
beninho
McLaren
23 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Re Sterling, he’s got more PL assists than any English player in the last year, 3rd most of anyone. As well as a shedload of goals, what a poopie player he is!!
Could this be it for Jose, I certainly hope so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Navy

You are more bold when it comes to it than me because I wouldn't risk using holocaust outside the genocide of the Jews, or I guess in the nuclear sense. And I would be happy for someone to think I was being antisemitic if I used it in the flippant manner super does.

Someone I know that is Jewish actually got very upset with someone using holocaust to describe the scenes at the Edinburgh new years street party. I get this is just an anecdote but it took it as advice not to use the term inappropriately.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:32 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

You are more bold when it comes to it than me because I wouldn't risk using holocaust outside the genocide of the Jews, or I guess in the nuclear sense.  And I would be happy for someone to think I was being antisemitic if I used it in the flippant manner super does.

Someone I know that is Jewish actually got very upset with someone using holocaust to describe the scenes at the Edinburgh new years street party. I get this is just an anecdote but it took it as advice not to use the term inappropriately.
Fair points, Mac. Someone using 'holocaust' to describe an Edinburgh New year's street party is someone who's got a pretty poor idea of English language. I don't think I'd use it for much TBH. We disagree, I think, on the fact that someone is anti-Semitic if they use it for other than the Holocaust of WW2 infamy. That's too simplistic.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:53 am

The semantics of semetics.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:07 am

I'm glad that the sale of Wembley has been called off though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:25 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

You are more bold when it comes to it than me because I wouldn't risk using holocaust outside the genocide of the Jews, or I guess in the nuclear sense.  And I would be happy for someone to think I was being antisemitic if I used it in the flippant manner super does.

Holocaust wouldn't be a particularly good description of Edinburgh New Year, it's more like Hillsborough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:25 am

Oh look, super realist trying to be controversial again by bringing up Hillsborough for no reason. You're so cool.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 am

Read an aricle on the BBC about LeBron James being the biggest sportsmen in the world. Made me wonder, he probably is, my top 5 are, LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Federer, Kohli.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:56 am

What about the boxer who has just got zillions for an 11 fight contract? Some sort of "biggest".

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 am

Alvarez really is a hype job, he’s a tough cookie but represents most of the bad in boxing (a sport I used to love). Dodgy results and positive drug tests, hey ho, clearly works for him. Though it is a long deal and pro rata less than Messi earns monthly.
Talk of delaying Brexit, let’s just delay it for ever. Problem solved.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:09 pm

beninho wrote:Oh look, super realist trying to be controversial again by bringing up Hillsborough for no reason. You're so cool.

Get stuffed. It was perfectly reasonable. I was simply making a better analogy for it. Hillsborough was just getting crushed, much more apt to a New Year party in Edinburgh, than a comparison to any definition of the Holocaust as Mac had done.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:45 pm

If someone would walk around the streets of Edinburgh at New Yeras and shout ‘holocaust’ there’s a good chance it could be super.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm

You want to compare one of the uks worst disasters, and subsequent massive cover up with Edinburgh being busy on nye thats fine. Its downplaying Hillsborough, but you have been pretty clear previously on your views regarding that. Just seems that your being deliberately controversial. Like your use of holocaust to describe a ryder cup. All just a bit strange.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Diggers wrote:The semantics of semetics.

Well, I'll applaud that. clap clap clap

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 pm

A good reason to support Monza.
“I want something different to modern football.”  Laugh  thumbsup
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/no-beards-and-no-tattoos-berlusconi-lays-out-bizarre-rules/1ohoiuen7w0vh1u6843mmohjtr

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Super thinks Hillsborough happened, he just questions the numbers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:05 am

We are not scared of the subjects here and that's good.
Some report or other last week and 41% of obese folk felt they had suffered at a job interview because of their weight issue .Surprised it wasn't 100%.Same goes for tattoos piercings weird hair/clothes etc .
Super interesting Horizon programme about the placebo effect on backache.Something Ive always suspected to be a truth having a few years in housing with numerous various 'disabled' tenants.
Well worth a watch in I player power of the mind and all that.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Super

I hope this guy hasn't been reading 606v2 while inside.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/19/radical-preacher-anjem-choudary-freed-from-prison

If so you'll be his prime target.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 am

Don’t think he distinguishes between you two, mac.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:13 am

beninho wrote:You want to compare one of the uks worst disasters, and subsequent massive cover up with Edinburgh being busy on nye thats fine. Its downplaying Hillsborough, but you have been pretty clear previously on your views regarding that. Just seems that your being deliberately controversial. Like your use of holocaust to describe a ryder cup. All just a bit strange.

Good grief, why does everyone take things so bloody seriously these days? I get told by you lot to lighten up all the time. Stop pretending to be offended or looking for it. Sounds like you should move to the Owen Jones/Femi Owelomo forum.

I was merely saying that Hillsborough is a more apt description for an Edinburgh New Year than a Holocaust would be. I was actually correcting him on his analogy, not doing it to be controversial. However, even if I was, why would I ask you as to what the requisite amount of water under the bridge is before making a comment that takes a tragedy lightly.

Are you one of these people who goes to see a comedian and then just walks out when he hears something he doesn't like? Life's full of things we don't like, but there's no need to react like a baby to it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:You want to compare one of the uks worst disasters, and subsequent massive cover up with Edinburgh being busy on nye thats fine. Its downplaying Hillsborough, but you have been pretty clear previously on your views regarding that. Just seems that your being deliberately controversial. Like your use of holocaust to describe a ryder cup. All just a bit strange.

Good grief, why does everyone take things so bloody seriously these days? I get told by you lot to lighten up all the time. Stop pretending to be offended or looking for it. Sounds like you should move to the Owen Jones/Femi Owelomo forum.

I was merely saying that Hillsborough is a more apt description for an Edinburgh New Year than a Holocaust would be. I was actually correcting him on his analogy, not doing it to be controversial. However, even if I was, why would I ask you as to what the requisite amount of water under the bridge is before making a comment that takes a tragedy lightly.

Are you one of these people who goes to see a comedian and then just walks out when he hears something he doesn't like? Life's full of things we don't like, but there's no need to react like a baby to it.

You’ve missed the point, Ben isn’t particularly upset at what you’ve said, what he’s telling you is he thinks you’re a bit of a dick.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Pretty much it diggers.

It takes a hell of a lot to offend me, and I will pretty much joke about anything with anyone, once I've got to know them and understand the limits on what might find is stepping over the line.

Sometimes I like to understand why people say something and question it. Such as why use Hillsborough and the holocaust as trivial comparisons.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Nowadays it’s only safe to make jokes about white men, and preferably white men in power.

I’d hate to be a stand-upper these days, but I hope they thank Trump for saving the industry.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 pm

beninho wrote:Pretty much it diggers.

It takes a hell of a lot to offend me, and I will pretty much joke about anything with anyone, once I've got to know them and understand the limits on what might find is stepping over the line.

Sometimes I like to understand why people say something and question it. Such as why use Hillsborough and the holocaust as trivial comparisons.

Why not? We use plenty of things as trivial comparisons. Why give either of those special treatment?

People use the term "car crash tv" for instance, how is anything on tv ever as horrific as a car accident? Yet I don't see anyone asking for people not to use it.
How about "thrown under the bus" That's a trivial comparison when lined up against the reality.

Funny how people are making special cases, whilst probably guilty of making trivial comparisons themselves.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:53 pm

I note your examples, personally I see a difference between generic phrases and actual events, I guess you don't. I wouldn't trivialize Hillsborough or The Holocaust with certain comparisons. You would, we are obviously different.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 pm

When you say car crash it’s non specific, there are millions every day in the world, ranging from a bump to multi car fatalities. I say again, non specific to one event. Last time I checked their was only one Hillsborough. I’d expect a 6 year old to pick up on the difference.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm

pedro wrote:Nowadays it’s only safe to make jokes about white men, and preferably white men in power.

I’d hate to be a stand-upper these days, but I hope they thank Trump for saving the industry.
Rolling Eyes
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:47 pm

Diggers wrote:When you say car crash it’s non specific, there are millions every day in the world, ranging from a bump to multi car fatalities. I say again, non specific to one event. Last time I checked their was only one Hillsborough. I’d expect a 6 year old to pick up on the difference.

Who cares if it's a specific event or not? Doesn't mean it's ring fenced from making comparisons too.

To think you've never trivialised an incident is laughable. I'm sure you've used the term D-Day in the wrong context for example, but was it so long ago that it doesn't matter?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 pm

10 wins on the bounce for Arsenal, Kwinis favourite player looking the class act that he should always look. Still hard to see past City for the title but at least it’s looking interesting.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Diggers wrote:10 wins on the bounce for Arsenal, Kwinis favourite player looking the class act that he should always look. Still hard to see past City for the title but at least it’s looking interesting.

Brill from Ozil, but Leicester should have been playing against 10 men for most of the game, and probably scored from the clearest penalty you'll ever see. Lucky Arsenal . . . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Diggers wrote:10 wins on the bounce for Arsenal, Kwinis favourite player looking the class act that he should always look. Still hard to see past City for the title but at least it’s looking interesting.

A great run but a very kind fixture list... when you look at the opposition they should have won every game, and when they have come up against quality opposition they have lost every time (Chelsea, Citeh). Still, they had to beat the "easy" teams they faced and recent versions of Arsenal would have slipped up at least a couple of times.

This run must have been a tremendous confidence boost, as well as giving Emery time to develop his philosophy. Will be easier to judge them in a couple of weeks when they have played Liverpool and Sporting Lisbon.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Was a kind list (after an unkind start), but that’s what the better teams do, win those games. Definitely be interesting when the top sides play each other, Arsenal far more direct now though, got the pace up front to scare anyone.
Spurs still grinding it out, again, not something they’ve always done in the past.
Was pleased to see Chelsea get a late one, keeps their confidence high. Equally pleased to see Jose lose it, hypocritical tool.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:37 pm

If you aren't a Chelsea fan and even if it is at the expense of Jose how could you take any pleasure in them doing well?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Easy. My dislike of Chelsea is trumped by my contempt for Jose.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Yes Arsenal have had a easy-ish run of fixtures but Everton, Watford and Leicester were all potential stumbling blocks which they overcame (eventually) with some level of comfort.

It was a nightmare start for them having City at home and Chelsea away. Even a team with genuine title ambitions (which Arsenal haven't got - yet) would struggle in those two fixtures and a team could still lose those two and win the title. And it means they are out of the way now.

Even City away (pretty assured loss) and Chelsea at home (more chance of a win or draw) would have been preferable.

Spurs, for example, have only really played Liverpool so far (and lost that). Chelsea have only played Liverpool and Arsenal of any note. Even City have only played Liverpool and Arsenal. Which I guess means Liverpool have had the hardest start so makes them look stronger

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:48 pm

Leicester only overcome with refereeing complicity. (And Ozil could easily have been "sacrificed" for defensive help.)

super_realist alert:
Crystal Palace's next four fixtures, thru end of November: Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd.
He'll be calling for Hodgson's head before we reach December.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Agree they were lucky with the penalty (non) decision and potential 2nd yellow though it's an absurdity of the rules that had the penalty been given, the 2nd yellow would have been mandatory (I think!) - They should have been given the penalty but no card (IMO)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:00 am

The referee influencing a game with a judgement. That’s football off the sport list as well then!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:16 am

Diggers wrote:The referee influencing a game with a judgement. That’s football off the sport list as well then!

Hardly a judgement!!!! More an abdication of responsibility . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 am

A lot of rehearsed routines though. Especially those involving a dive in the penalty area.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:44 am

Some serious discussion on the Leicester forums but that was a clear handball as you will see.
However LCFC own worst enemies in stepping back 10 yards when 1 nil up ,effectively two banks of five sitting back and no outlet on the rare occasions we had some ball.Tactically Puel is very poor and no way will he see out the season on current from.Lucky to have the 12 points so far .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/23/british-metoo-scandal-cannot-revealed/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Alan Sugar?

Who is your money on?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 pm

McLaren wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/23/british-metoo-scandal-cannot-revealed/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Alan Sugar?

Who is your money on?

Why him? That's pretty out of order... unless you can explain your reasons.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:46 pm

McLaren wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/23/british-metoo-scandal-cannot-revealed/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Alan Sugar?

Who is your money on?
My money's not on anyone and I couldn't care less until and unless there's unimpeachable evidence of someone misbehaving.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Ray

"Leading businessman" immediately made me think of Sugar or Branson, although you wouldn't be surprised if it was either of them.

Navy

Why the high bar of "unimpeachable" just to make an allegation? People get sent to jail every day with much less robust evidence.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:47 pm

McLaren wrote:Ray

"Leading businessman"  immediately made me think of Sugar or Branson, although you wouldn't be surprised if it was either of them.  

Navy

Why the high bar of "unimpeachable" just to make an allegation? People get sent to jail every day with much less robust evidence.
Hmm. I wonder. Could it be that I hate the idea that people can chuck around career-ending 'allegations' on the back of very little evidence? Seems to be the vogue. Maybe 'unimpeachable' is a bit strong; how about 'substantive'?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 pm

What proportion of r***/sexual assault/sexual harassment allegations do you think are false?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 am

Ray

Someone just reminded me that Branson touched up jenson buttons girlfriend once. Maybe he is a better bet.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 am

McLaren wrote:What proportion of r***/sexual assault/sexual harassment allegations do you think are false?
I don't give a damn Mac. It should not be acceptable to simply chuck accusations like that around, without evidence to support them.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:41 am

McLaren wrote:Ray

"Leading businessman"  immediately made me think of Sugar or Branson, although you wouldn't be surprised if it was either of them.  

The fact that you can only think of 2 businessmen in this country shows what a sheltered life you lead. Bet you can name all the contestants on big brother and love island.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:52 am

Ray

Haven't watched love island ever and haven't watched big brother since the second ever season.

Navy

But if the rates of false accusation are extremely low then why worry about it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next