The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
tigertattie
kingraf
TM Moot
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Forward Pass
Pr4wn
Number-25
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
skins4ever
gazzyD
twelve283
GSC
21 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I mean are we even sure Gordon isn't a one year wonder who never stuck around for his drop off season.

A lot of hype for a guy who's had more near comebacks than games played in years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by skins4ever Mon 22 Oct 2018, 1:23 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:So Blake Bortles has been benched as the Jags show their offensive ineptitude again!

Next man up... Oh hang on, do they even have a next man up? Cody Kessler is your insurance policy? Seriously?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by skins4ever Mon 22 Oct 2018, 1:26 am

Oh yeah, and the Skins almost tried their hardest to lose. Thankfully the D turned up today. A couple of better DB's/some development from the young guys already there, and this D could actually be one of the best. Good job seeing as we have a receiving corps that would make Tom Brady look bad. When your TE and RB's have more yardage than your receiving corps, you know where you need to go in the draft. That and investing in a QB to take over from Smith in 2-3 years.

I'm not down on Smith, as he hasn't got a great deal to work with, but he has to start making better throws. Not choices, just better throws; too many short of the mark passes and overthrows.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

skins4ever wrote:
crazy_dave23 wrote:So Blake Bortles has been benched as the Jags show their offensive ineptitude again!

Next man up... Oh hang on, do they even have a next man up? Cody Kessler is your insurance policy? Seriously?

I'd have kept Chad Henne!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:25 pm

Reports coming out that Amari Cooper has been traded to the Cowboys for a first round pick

That'll be 3 first rounders well have in the draft and we'll still end up with nothing because we can't draft to save our lives

Last edited by gazzyD on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:43 pm

gazzyD wrote:Reports coming out that Amari Cooper has been traded to the Cowboys for a first round pick
Jerry must be really invested in the Vegas move.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 22 Oct 2018, 9:00 pm

Dallas have a QB on a rookie deal, and a competent defence for the first time in years... but a first rounder? Really?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD Mon 22 Oct 2018, 9:19 pm

I never thought somebody would give up a first for him

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Mon 22 Oct 2018, 9:48 pm

Good WR but no where near worth a first round pick at this point
We are 3-4 in case Jerry hadn't noticed
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 22 Oct 2018, 10:18 pm

I'm in 2 minds on this one. Cooper is good when he's on form, but when was that last? And a 1st round pick? So on that hand, I'm quite happy (for the Cowboys to waste their 2019 draft). On the other, if he turns it around with a new QB/offense, it makes Dallas dangerous again and I look forward to week 12 a little less. Right now I think the rest of the NFC East are smiling. I'm hoping we're all still smiling by week 17. Smile

Demaryius Thomas is sounding like he's available for a trade despite Joseph saying its rumours. I'm kind of hoping Snyder keeps his hands in his pockets this time. A 24y old Cooper is one thing, but trading for a 30y old Thomas (unless its a 4th rounder or lower) could be a worse deal, especially given his cap hit. Let somebody else go after him (but not the Eagles!) and draft a rookie next year.

Only other potential trade is Peterson away from the Cards. They say nay but apparently he wants out. Now if he were available and the price was right, I wouldn't mind seeing him in B&G. having another good CB opposite Norman potentially steps up our D to another level. I just think the price will be too steep, even if the Cards do actually listen to offers.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 22 Oct 2018, 10:19 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:
skins4ever wrote:

I'd have kept Chad Henne!

That almost makes the Jags sound like the 49ers...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 23 Oct 2018, 6:19 pm

Saints have sent a 4th round pick to the Giants for Eli Apple. Lot of ways you can go with that one.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:37 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Saints have sent a 4th round pick to the Giants for Eli Apple. Lot of ways you can go with that one.

I don't know, when you get to the core of the matter, I'm more curious who they pipped to get him. I mean the markets quite ripe for CB's at the moment. Then again with his history of unrest, maybe he's low hanging fruit?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 29 Oct 2018, 4:04 pm

Hue Jackson is out in Cleveland. Now 6 Browns HC in a row that have been fired after losing to the Steelers. Ended up 3-36-1 (11-44-1 on his career).

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 29 Oct 2018, 7:03 pm

Jackson has 2nd worst coaching record in NFL history. It's not much of a surprise, and kicking Haley out too probably did them a favour. Wore out his welcome in Pittsburgh by pissing off his starting QB and looks like he's done the same in Cleveland.

Next up Koetter in Tampa I reckon.

I'd say the NFL needs some fresh coaching blood. Some guys should probably never rise above coordinator level, but NFL owners seem all too happy to kick the same tyres over and over instead of getting new.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 30 Oct 2018, 7:45 pm

Trades going down at some pace...
Dante Fowler to the Rams
Ty Montgomery to the Ravens
Demariyus Thomas to the Texans
Golden Tate to the Eagles

Such a change from the past!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 30 Oct 2018, 7:54 pm

And now the Packers ship HaHa Clinton Dix to the Redskins... I love that guy... mainly for his name! Sad

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 30 Oct 2018, 8:34 pm

Somehow it feels like both teams got ripped off in that Tate trade.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 31 Oct 2018, 6:59 pm

Skins got the better end of the deal if we can resign him. Offers up a great S tandem to help our younger DB's and the run D should be even better. Only wish we'd gotten a top WR, but I'm not sure Tate or Thomas were particularly good value.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 05 Nov 2018, 11:47 pm

Well, that's our season as good as over. Virtually no OL and our 'deep threat' WR gone for the season. I suspect our draft is going to be WR and OL heavy... Sad

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 13 Nov 2018, 12:30 pm

End of an era: Bills have cut Nathan Peterman.

Also, Hue Jackson might somehow have got his old job as HC-in-waiting for the Bengals back.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 13 Nov 2018, 12:37 pm

You gotta love the Bengals - not a care in the world for winning, just being a nice cosy place where they occasionally get 9/10 wins almost by accident
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 8:43 pm

Alex Smith has slightly hurt his leg... on Thiesmann Day no less...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 18 Nov 2018, 8:55 pm

Adrian Peterson, who was supposed to finished before the season, is somehow the best and most durable player on the Redskins. And I still don't hate their chances of winning the division.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD Sun 18 Nov 2018, 11:58 pm

Would very much like to know what words were exchanged between Carr and Gruden

Next on the chopping block

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 19 Nov 2018, 12:36 am

I may be the only Skins fan gutted about Smith's injury. Sad vomit

I'm not the only Skins fan furious at the bullcrap officiating. The roughing and PI calls in particular were ridiculous. NFL really needs to sort out the officiating of some games because it's affecting outcomes again, after all the changes that were put in place to stop that happening. steam

There's not a lot of quality FA but I could live with someone like Manuel as a back up. Rolling Eyes

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 19 Nov 2018, 12:36 am

gazzyD wrote:Would very much like to know what words were exchanged between Carr and Gruden

Next on the chopping block

Sitting here hoping the Raiders cut Carr this week. laughing

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 20 Nov 2018, 8:31 am

Game of the century maybe? Crazy score.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 20 Nov 2018, 4:41 pm

I don't know about game of the century, but I think almost everyone would like to see a repeat of that for the SB. Or imagine Chiefs v Pats and Rams v Saints in the Championship games; whatever that outcome, we should end up with a great SB.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 20 Nov 2018, 5:50 pm

Chiefs and Saints would put up a basketball score.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 23 Nov 2018, 2:10 pm

After this weeks games night I can't see any NFC East team getting past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Eagles got pwned by the Saints and while they could win the division, I'd say their issues getting their O on track and their not coping with high power offenses are going to stop them. Cowboys look dangerous on O now they have Cooper, but screw ups in coverage last night made him look better (why wasn't Norman all over him all night?), and they showed their weakness in pass D (imagine what the Rams or Saints would do to that D); if we'd had a decent QB that result would likely have been very different.
Giants are done, they just don't know it. Eli should be retiring and hopefully he can see it before he gets benched/cut.
Then there's my guys. If we had a decent receiving core and the OL could stay healthy I'd say we could recover from last night, but we don't and we can't. The D can't be expected to keep us in games all the time especially with our CB's not able to maintain coverage. My draft shopping list is CB, WR, C and LG, maybe 2 of each! With that we could actually establish some consistency. But that's also predicated on Smith coming back, and I suspect they'll go after a QB1 as a priority (and stuff up the pick ). Rolling Eyes

What is it with the East? 2 SB wins in last 20 years (and a loser), but 3 storied franchises with 12 SB's between them and the Eagles last year; that's 25% of SB's won by an NFC East team but almost nothing recently. Can't help thinking all 4 teams have spent so much time trying to beat each other they can't beat anyone else! Very Happy

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 25 Nov 2018, 5:58 pm

Kliff Kingsbury is out as Texas Tech HC, so look forward to his name being linked to any team even remotely considering hiring a new OC.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 25 Nov 2018, 7:07 pm

Browns seem pretty motivated today for some reason.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 25 Nov 2018, 7:29 pm

Handing the ball to Hue after the pick was badass
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Nov 2018, 12:49 am

Pittsburgh never fails to crap themselves
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:00 am

Apart from when they win the Superbowl.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 26 Nov 2018, 4:40 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Kliff Kingsbury is out as Texas Tech HC, so look forward to his name being linked to any team even remotely considering hiring a new OC.

Redskins could do with a new OC...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 27 Nov 2018, 11:17 am

So could the Jags, they fired theirs yesterday.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 27 Nov 2018, 11:45 am

Ben McAdoo was spotted in Jacksonville airport yesterday apparently.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 27 Nov 2018, 12:01 pm

Pr4wn wrote:So could the Jags, they fired theirs yesterday.
Also said Kessler would be starting, which seems an odd combination unless they're planning to just blow the whole thing up.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 27 Nov 2018, 5:58 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:If you look at points differential (scored - conceded) the Rams are the best team so far (+78) and the Chiefs are third (+43). In second (+76), we somehow find the Ravens. The Bears are the only other team that hasn't given up 100 points yet, and they've played a game less.
Had another look now everyone's played 11 games:

-Top 5 teams: Saints (+153), Chiefs (+110), Rams (+107), Bears (+106), Chargers (+88)
-Bottom 5 teams: Raiders (-140), Cardinals (-138), Bills (-111), Bengals (-71), Jets/Dolphins (-60)
-Most average: Broncos (0), Packers (-3), Panthers (+5), Redskins (-9).
-Saints and Chiefs have scored over 400 points already; Rams, Colts, Bears, Steelers, Chargers and Patriots are over 300
-Cardinals, Bills, Raiders, Titans and Jaguars haven't hit 200 yet
-Ravens are the only team that hasn't given up 200 points yet; Bengals, Bucs, Raiders and Falcons have all conceded over 300

Redskins (-9) and Ravens (+73) are both 6-5.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 29 Nov 2018, 7:34 pm

Redskins record and differential is a direct result of a Poopie offense, not defense, which is in the top half of the league. Arguably a similar scenario for the Ravens, but they were at least performing on O to start the season.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Sat 01 Dec 2018, 12:56 pm

At the outset let me say I'm not untroubled by the Skins picking up Foster off waivers, if only because I agree it sends the wrong message about 'rewarding' players who carry out bad actions, break the law etc. But in the Skins case, there is an element of innocent until proven guilty. Foster had a run in with the woman before and she admitted making false claims. As far as I can see there are 3 scenarios here, 1) he did assault her plain as day, 2) he assaulted her knowing she'd lied before and likely wouldn't be taken seriously or 3) she again attempted to set him up like before. If its proven to be 3 or at least the 1st 2 scenarios are unproven, then he's innocent in the eyes of the law. The fact he allowed himself to be put in that situation again shows poor judgement, but he's young and aside from NFL punishment he should be allowed to move on and hopefully learn the lesson. If either of the first 2 scenarios are proven he should be locked up, let alone play again, and that should be the end of his career. From reading the Skins statement (excepting Williams foot in mouth the day after) it seems that's the teams view too.

The difference in Hunt's situation is that, regardless of the extenuating circumstances, there is nothing about this scenario that paints him anything other than a thug. He too is young, but he's stupid if he thinks assaulting a woman in public will have any kind of positive outcome for him at all. I am a bit puzzled about the chain of events because the way its described this situation went on for some time (and it sounds like nobody involved tried to diffuse the situation effectively), but then the incriminating video apparently surfaces months later (and neither the police or the NFL say they released it) at a prime point in the NFL season to cause damage. One wonders if he was blackmailed maybe and refused to pay up, but that's pure speculation on my part.

However, regardless of what led to this, the video is proof positive of what he did and like the Rice video, there's no escaping it and the consequences. If he gets picked up by any team in future it will go to show the NFL, as a rule, only cares about the money. If the right thing happens he'll never play again.

It also makes me wonder how effective American universities are at educating young people on how to behave, especially athletes (being generally stronger and tougher than joe public), and likewise how effective the NFL's rookie training and guidance is if these scenarios keep occurring?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 01 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm

My issue with picking Foster isn't the DV accusation, it's that he's obviously a slappy
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 02 Dec 2018, 8:27 pm

Eli might legit not even be the best QB in the Giants starting lineup...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 02 Dec 2018, 9:50 pm

Those early games were weird asf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 02 Dec 2018, 11:01 pm

If the Jets hold on against the Titans there are going to be 3 teams going into the second week of december with fewer wins than the Packers. Presumably they let McCarthy hang around until the end of the season, but that surely has to be it?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 03 Dec 2018, 7:34 am

Yeah, no. He's gone. Liberation for Rodgers.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 03 Dec 2018, 7:51 am

Pr4wn wrote:Yeah, no. He's gone. Liberation for Rodgers.

Liberation - but Rodgers has been part of the problem this year, nowhere near his usual standards. Hopefully a new voice next year can help him recapture past form
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 03 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Yeah, no. He's gone. Liberation for Rodgers.

Liberation - but Rodgers has been part of the problem this year, nowhere near his usual standards. Hopefully a new voice next year can help him recapture past form

I agree... I actually don't think Rodgers has been that fab this year either... against his usual benchmark at least... though at that level he is still far better than most! Hasn't been turning the ball over, but outside of the 2nd half of game 1 against the Bears I just haven't seem the consistency in building drives.

Anyway... a few games back I was firmly against McCarthy being sacked because I am a traditionalist and like the way the Packers are not a trigger happy organisation. After the last lot of games, I've come around to seeing change and wasn't surprised he was let go... though a little bit surprised they didn't finish the season first. Philbin won't be the new coach (at least I hope he isn't given how he panned out in Miami) so I am not sure what you gain putting him in charge now? They won't be in the playoffs, so it's not like the teams sacking their coaches on "Black Monday" will be getting a head start on them.

I do however reckon that Mike McCarthy will be the next Andy Reid. To me they seem similar, in that they have had long fairly successful terms without really living up to the potential of the teams they had in terms of multiple titles (...or any in Reid's case) and in each case the fans finally ran out of steam once they dropped off from the lofty heights. Andy has moved on and become pretty successful overall in Kansas and has had another long term in charge... I sense the same future for McCarthy.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 04 Dec 2018, 11:31 am

Washington down to their recently signed third string QB, Adrian Peterson runs 90 yards for a touchdown and then gets 5 more carries all game.

Assuming the Cowboys win that division, Garrett probably comes back for another year, and Dalton (and maybe Green?) on IR could well mean Lewis sneaks in another season. Might just be Payton left in the AFC South though...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next