The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

+48
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
Taylorman
Presuming Ed
Cyril
dummy_half
Fluxy
Barney McGrew did it
Sgt_Pooly
El Radar
EnglishReign
BigTrevsbigmac
bluestonevedder
johnpartle
stub
RDW
Irish Londoner
munkian
Pie
Scottrf
Exiledinborders
Yoda
mzan
mikey_dragon
Gooseberry
alcoombe
formerly known as Sam
carpet baboon
Poorfour
Collapse2005
propdavid_london
robbo277
Mr Bounce
yappysnap
hugehandoff
king_carlos
Geordie
rodders
TightHEAD
Sharkey06
Rugby Fan
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
Cumbrian
compelling and rich
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
LondonTiger
52 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fixtures

Ireland (a)
Saturday 2nd Feb, 16:45 - ITV

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 1: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 2: Alexandre Ruiz (France)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

France (h)
Sunday 10th Feb, 15:00 - ITV

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant 1: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
Assistant 2: Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)

Wales (a)
Saturday 23rd Feb, 16:45 - BBC

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant 1: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 2: Alexandre Ruiz (France)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

Italy (h)
Saturday 9th March, 16:45 - ITV

Referee: Nic Berry (Australia)
Assistant 1: Paul Williams (New Zealand)
Assistant 2: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

Scotland (h)
Saturday 16th March, 17:00 - ITV

Referee: Paul Williams (New Zealand)
Assistant 1: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 2: Federico Anselmi (Argentina)
TMO: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)

Squad

For First & Second Tests:

Forwards
Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Ben Earl (Saracens) *, Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje  Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs), Brad Shields (Wasps), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors) *, Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
Backs
Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Ollie Devoto (Exeter Chiefs), Owen Farrell (Saracens) captain, George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Dan Robson (Wasps) *, Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby) *, Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

*Uncapped

Players unavailable due to injury:  Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby).

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

Post by lostinwales Sat 02 Feb 2019, 9:05 pm

For all of us missing the Greenwood of old, we actually had a centre play like him for once Smile

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: England 2019 Six Nations Discussion Thread

Post by stub Sat 02 Feb 2019, 11:47 pm

Brilliant stuff today - loved May’s confidence under the high ball, Mako’s superhuman effort and Slades opportunistic brilliance. (And lots more besides)

Fabulous.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:08 am

It looks like Maro is out. I suspect he will play Lawes with Launchbury on the bench.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:29 am

Im not getting too carried away with England. Theres some aspects of their game which were very good:
Commitment/work rate, tackling, pressing Irelands possession, tactical kicking, set pieces.
But the margin of victory betrays how much they relied on (admittedly sometimes forced) Irish errors rather than their own play with ball in hand, or indeed their own defence.
The make up of the team is partly a happy accident too, rather than genius of Jones, notably the finding a back row that worked and the centers.

Its a heck of an improvement for where things had been of course and hopefully this will give them back the swagger they had when Jones first started. I still think the All Blacks will be more comforted by seeing Ireland badly exposed than they are concerned about Englands improvement.

For the 6 nations though its put England in a very strong position, especially with the away bonus point (urgh). Not many of us really expected this.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:29 am

With Ireland defeated, how do we shape up ahead of the France game?

Itoje is likely to be out, which means Launchbury would come into the equation. Lawes looked very good when he came on as well, so potentially Lawes to start with Launchbury up onto the bench? Or would we want Launchbury coming into the starting line-up to counter the bulk of the French?

Shields, Te'o and Cokanasiga are also likely to come back into contention, although Wilson, Tuilagi and Nowell were all very impressive. Perhaps a bench spot for Shields and Cokanasiga with Hughes and Ashton dropping out? The way Nowell carried against Ireland made me feel it would possibly be better suited to a man who is 30kg heavier. With May on the other wing having a superb game fielding high balls, chasing kicks and threatening with his pace out wide, who you have on the other wing carrying ball and looking for work is between the two guys mentioned.

How do we think France will line up? Brunel would have watched that and he must be thinking about bringing Bastareaud back in to his starting line up to have someone who can drag the team over the gain line. In the past Picamoles has done a good job against us, but if England play like they did against Ireland then he'll need someone helping him out.

They've obviously got their monster pack but didn't look all that handy in set piece play and if anything it was their desire to throw the ball around rather than carrying direct that saw them get some joy against Wales.

My 23 vs France:
Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Lawes, Kruis, Wilson, Curry, Vunipola, Youngs, Farrell, May, Tuilagi, Slade, Cokanasiga, Daly
Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Williams, Launchbury, Shields, Robson, Ford, Nowell

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:37 am

Maybe bring in Cokanasiga to replace Ashton on the bench but no way should he replace Nowell. I have never seen anything from Cokanasiga to indicate he does the carrying work all round the park that Nowell does. Also I don't think he plays the part of a second full back like Nowell does.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:40 am

Nowell and May were both incredible for different reasons yesterday. Nowell’s power going forward is ridiculous.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

Exiledinborders wrote:Maybe bring in Cokanasiga to replace Ashton on the bench but no way should he replace Nowell. I have never seen anything from Cokanasiga to indicate he does the carrying work all round the park that Nowell does. Also I don't think he plays the part of a second full back like Nowell does.

I thought May played the second full back with Nowell having a bit more licence to roam, to pop up in the midfield or on the 10s inside shoulder. Having Nowell doing that and carrying hard for a man his size is one thing, having someone who is 30kg heavier and more powerful would punch some big holes in the defence. Imagine being Lopez and Ntamack while Farrell runs with Tuilagi on his outside shoulder and Cokanasiga on his inside.

It's a 50/50 call. You can't fault Nowell on the basis of his performance against Ireland. However you can pick Cokanasiga on the basis of the extra edge he might give the team. The way the team is set up, I think Eddie may look to Cokanasiga to come in to the 14 shirt, if not for France definitely before the tournament is out.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 11:28 am

Would be pretty harsh for anyone to be catapulted back into the team but that's why Jones gets paid the big bucks. You'd imagine Launchbury Shields Cokanasiga are strongly to the fore front of the coaches minds but more likely to the bench than straight into the team. Hopefully itoje makes a quick recovery.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by El Radar Sun 03 Feb 2019, 11:33 am

Bringing in Cokanasiga for a bit of extra bulk makes sense on the face of things but he doesn't carry as much as Nowell or get through anywhere the same amount of work.

El Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 03 Feb 2019, 11:34 am

I hope he is able to trust the bench a bit more. While Mako was amazing, I would prefer he not get broken. Robson needs to get a good half hour next week, ideally with Farrell and Ford separately at outside half.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 11:41 am

Nowell has been credited with 10 carries for 57m this week. I wonder how many of those metres were gained running back kicks though. 3 gainline successes, 1 defender beaten, no clean breaks. 2 turnovers conceded.

He did however also make 7/8 tackles (including a tackle leading to a try) and win a turnover.

If we're going to use him as a primary carrier carrying the ball into traffic, I think we have a better winger for the job. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nowell retained, but I think it might be worth looking at Cokanasiga in this game to see what he can offer. We can always go back to Nowell for the Wales game if we think we need more industry.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:20 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Poorfour,

I think during our winning run, Kruis and Itoje were an integral part of it. Kruis's injury and Itojes drop in form did affect the England team considerably. They seemed to work together in tandem.

I do rate Lawes incredibly highly though. And Launchbury always seems to play consistently top class.  
We're lucky in the lock department.

I think a Wilson / Curry flank partnership might help the locks as well. We should be rock solid at cleaning out on our ball and pressuring on their ball.

Certainly right there GF
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:25 pm

robbo277 wrote:With Ireland defeated, how do we shape up ahead of the France game?

Itoje is likely to be out, which means Launchbury would come into the equation. Lawes looked very good when he came on as well, so potentially Lawes to start with Launchbury up onto the bench? Or would we want Launchbury coming into the starting line-up to counter the bulk of the French?

Shields, Te'o and Cokanasiga are also likely to come back into contention, although Wilson, Tuilagi and Nowell were all very impressive. Perhaps a bench spot for Shields and Cokanasiga with Hughes and Ashton dropping out? The way Nowell carried against Ireland made me feel it would possibly be better suited to a man who is 30kg heavier. With May on the other wing having a superb game fielding high balls, chasing kicks and threatening with his pace out wide, who you have on the other wing carrying ball and looking for work is between the two guys mentioned.

How do we think France will line up? Brunel would have watched that and he must be thinking about bringing Bastareaud back in to his starting line up to have someone who can drag the team over the gain line. In the past Picamoles has done a good job against us, but if England play like they did against Ireland then he'll need someone helping him out.

They've obviously got their monster pack but didn't look all that handy in set piece play and if anything it was their desire to throw the ball around rather than carrying direct that saw them get some joy against Wales.

My 23 vs France:
Vunipola, George, Sinckler, Lawes, Kruis, Wilson, Curry, Vunipola, Youngs, Farrell, May, Tuilagi, Slade, Cokanasiga, Daly
Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Williams, Launchbury, Shields, Robson, Ford, Nowell

And a lot of pain, 7 points worth, the difference between winning and losing in this case.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:32 pm

I suspect that EJ will pick a team on a match by match basis, if he thinks Cokanasiga is the right person to play against France, he will play him, no matter how good Nowell played against Ireland.

He may also play Launchbury and Lawes, they are a well established pairing that have never let England down. We will need to rotate the squad in Japan, so get used to it now.

I will admit, I did not recognise Nowell at first with his new haircut
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by El Radar Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:33 pm

Watching Wilson the past few games it's bizarre he hasn't been in the team for years, big fan of Robshaw but he's an upgrade in every department and brings and added level of physicality.

El Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:38 pm

robbo277 wrote:Nowell has been credited with 10 carries for 57m this week. I wonder how many of those metres were gained running back kicks though. 3 gainline successes, 1 defender beaten, no clean breaks. 2 turnovers conceded.

He did however also make 7/8 tackles (including a tackle leading to a try) and win a turnover.

If we're going to use him as a primary carrier carrying the ball into traffic, I think we have a better winger for the job. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nowell retained, but I think it might be worth looking at Cokanasiga in this game to see what he can offer. We can always go back to Nowell for the Wales game if we think we need more industry.

The thing is that that is Nowell's game, and how he's always played. Cokanasiga isn't going to play like that and it is a fallacy to think that he will even if given the freedom to do so.

I would not want to change that backline at all going forward, but think Cokanasiga is perfect impact material.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:40 pm

El Radar wrote:Watching Wilson the past few games it's bizarre he hasn't been in the team for years, big fan of Robshaw but he's an upgrade in every department and brings and added level of physicality.

Yes. I am a big Robshaw fan but we are not missing him at all.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by El Radar Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:44 pm

lostinwales wrote:
The thing is that that is Nowell's game, and how he's always played. Cokanasiga isn't going to play like that and it is a fallacy to think that he will even if given the freedom to do so.

I would not want to change that backline at all going forward, but think Cokanasiga is perfect impact material.

That's exactly it, Nowell offers so much more around the park and replacing him with someone who will do none of that doesn't make sense. Our back three complimented each other perfectly yesterday just like the back row and midfield did.

El Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 03 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm

Is be surprised if England made any unenforced changes to that starting 15 regardless of who becomes available. Maybe Teo for Tuilagi but otherwise stick with a team thats functioning even if it wasn't the first choice. Wales have found themselves in a similar position with the backs that came together last year partly through injuries, but have consistently delivered their best run of results in a long time.
Itoje missing is the end of the world with their depth at lock and lawes also being flexible.
The bench could be upgraded by the return of various players so they should be pretty confident against France.

It's hard to know what they will do, the issues with the big pack and getting tired were exposed by Wales, as was their dodgy goal kicking. In theory the bad weather should have suited France, but similar conditions next week wont be too worrying to England whove shown they can play a good kicking game as well as having dangerous outside backs.

As above whilst I'm not wanting to get carried away I see Wales as the only fixture remaining that is a real challenge for England now.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 1:52 pm

In theory Te'o is a smarter player than Tuilagi and built on similar lines. In practice Tuilagi is a step up in physicality.

It is great that we have two players who can fill the same role, and Tuilagi has only been back for one game, but I know who I prefer.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:06 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Poorfour,

I think during our winning run, Kruis and Itoje were an integral part of it. Kruis's injury and Itojes drop in form did affect the England team considerably. They seemed to work together in tandem.

I do rate Lawes incredibly highly though. And Launchbury always seems to play consistently top class.  
We're lucky in the lock department.

I think a Wilson / Curry flank partnership might help the locks as well. We should be rock solid at cleaning out on our ball and pressuring on their ball.

Certainly right there GF

Yeah they played very well together. Add in Underhill and we have 3 very good flank options...who have proven they can do a very good job against some of the best teams in the world.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:07 pm

El Radar wrote:Watching Wilson the past few games it's bizarre he hasn't been in the team for years, big fan of Robshaw but he's an upgrade in every department and brings and added level of physicality.

Falcon fans have been singing his praises for years....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:12 pm

More options than 3 flankers gf. Shields robshaw to come back in as well as the next wave of youngsters. Though the back row worked well yesterday Wilson being mainly used to clear rucks.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:14 pm

As have geordie, top player and totally outshone pom yesterday. Hope he can keep playing like that into his 30s.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:59 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:More options than 3 flankers gf. Shields robshaw to come back in as well as the next wave of youngsters. Though the back row worked well yesterday Wilson being mainly used to clear rucks.

3 that's proven 7.5

Shields not proven yet, Robshaw may not get back in.

we know that Curry, Wilson and Underhiill can play well at this level.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:01 pm

Shields is proven surely having played there in the autumn.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:More options than 3 flankers gf. Shields robshaw to come back in as well as the next wave of youngsters. Though the back row worked well yesterday Wilson being mainly used to clear rucks.

He is being used in the Haskell role although at 6 not 7, just has a bit more nouce about him.

Personally, I would rate Lawes above Shields at 6, just seems to be better at everything than Shields. I would rate Robshaw above Lawes mind you, just depends on the style of play you want.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:05 pm

Will be interesting when they're all fit. Going into the world cup Dombrandt hill and willis could be making a late charge.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:27 pm

The back three really impressed me yesterday.

Daly had his best game at full back.

May has added a lot to his game under Jones with a much improved kicking game and strong work under the high ball.

Nowell carries very well off 9 which is a big part of this England sides game. It really showed with both Vunipolas back how much the pack lifts. Those two can get over the gain line from slow ball and from there Nowell, George, Sinckler, Itoje and Lawes all run very good lines 'coming round the corner'.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:29 pm

king_carlos wrote:The back three really impressed me yesterday.

May has added a lot to his game under Jones with a much improved kicking game and strong work under the high ball.

Nowell carries very well off 9 which is a big part of this England sides game. It really showed with both Vunipolas back how much the pack lifts. Those two can get over the gain line from slow ball and from there Nowell, George, Sinckler, Itoje and Lawes all run very good lines 'coming round the corner'.

Me too. Daly is a really good player and I always like the look of May and Nowell. All three were spot on.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:38 pm

May covered Daly deficiencies well in the air. Still the only 2 times Daly tried to claim anything under pressure he failed to take ball cleanly. Still think 15 is a bit of a weak spot.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:21 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Shields is proven surely having played there in the autumn.

Very Happy Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:22 pm

Ha

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:25 pm

I'm impressed with Wilson seeming to change his game depending on who he's partnering. In the autumn with Billy out he seemed to carry more than yesterday and performed more link work.

Whereas with Billy and Mako back he just concentrated on clearing out ruck after ruck.

Similarly in defence. He didn't target the breakdown much at all, instead opting to bounce back into the line and let Tom Curry hover around as many completed tackles as possible to assess the situation.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:27 pm

king_carlos wrote:The back three really impressed me yesterday.

Sinckler pop pass just before/ out of contact was a thing of beauty

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:28 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Shields is proven surely having played there in the autumn.
He has proven that he is adequate at international level. he has proven no more than that.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:33 pm

Yeah the back row is suddenly looking very rosey.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:34 pm

Yeah the back row is suddenly looking very rosey.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:44 pm

I expect there will be very few changes to the team other than those enforced. I think that the locks may well be Lawes and Kruis as Kruis calls it plus he's George's clubmate which doubtless helps. Launchbury offers perhaps less on impact than Lawes but I would like to see Courtney get stuck into the big French locks from the get go. I think the only other changes may be on the bench, with potentially Cokanasiga in for Ashton and maybe Shields for Hughes. Other than that I think it'll stay as it is.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:17 pm

Lawes had great impact when he got on the pitch. Many heavy tackles.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yeah the back row is suddenly looking very rosey.

If Billy is fit. It takes several leaps backwards without him sadly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by El Radar Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:43 pm

Itoje being out is far from ideal, Lawes is the guy you want coming on late being given licence to destroy but Kruis and Launchbury as a pair is lacking a lot of mobility.

El Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:50 pm

king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Yeah the back row is suddenly looking very rosey.

If Billy is fit. It takes several leaps backwards without him sadly.

I meant for the short term future, with Curry only being 20, the others coming through like Dombrandt, Ted Hill etc, Mark Smith, Shields all there.

I think Mercer will be a cracking international 8

But Billy is Billy...you know what hes going to do...but try stopping him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:04 pm

How did Billy V go? I dont think any one has mentioned him yet?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:17 pm

yappysnap wrote:How did Billy V go? I dont think any one has mentioned him yet?

Not at his best and a way off his brother, but solid, and I feel he's only going to get better.

Stats say 10 carries for 23 m, 11 tackles and there was at least one very good offload that I can remember

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 8:55 pm

El Radar wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

That's exactly it, Nowell offers so much more around the park and replacing him with someone who will do none of that doesn't make sense. Our back three complimented each other perfectly yesterday just like the back row and midfield did.

Fair enough, but I think it's easier to teach Cokanasiga to increase his involvements then it is to teach Jack Nowell to be 30kg heavier, unless you've got some great "sport scientists" on the payroll. It wouldn't be so much giving Cokanasiga the freedom to play like Nowell, it would be giving him the instruction to go out and run off 9 and run off 10's inside shoulder. And when Cokanasiga has softened them up, Nowell can come on and use his footwork and pace to find more space and make breaks.

I'm not calling for Nowell to be replaced because I think he had a bad game, I'm just wondering if we can get more out of Cokanasiga starting. I think France is a good chance to give him a run (if he's even fit), but we could also see him coming on to the bench for this game.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:24 pm

robbo277 wrote:
El Radar wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Fair enough, but I think it's easier to teach Cokanasiga to increase his involvements then it is to teach Jack Nowell to be 30kg heavier, unless you've got some great "sport scientists" on the payroll. It wouldn't be so much giving Cokanasiga the freedom to play like Nowell, it would be giving him the instruction to go out and run off 9 and run off 10's inside shoulder. And when Cokanasiga has softened them up, Nowell can come on and use his footwork and pace to find more space and make breaks.

I'm not calling for Nowell to be replaced because I think he had a bad game, I'm just wondering if we can get more out of Cokanasiga starting. I think France is a good chance to give him a run (if he's even fit), but we could also see him coming on to the bench for this game.

I don't know a great deal about Cokanasiga, apart from seeing him in the Autumn. My impression is that he's a big powerful runner who is going to need a little space to get up to speed, then he's going to be hard to stop. Nowell is not a big guy, but he is powerful for his size and doesn't need space to accelerate or change direction. He's a complete menace because he's a dancer but just strong enough to mix it at close quarters. Putting more weight on to him isn't going to help.

Anyway we already have a powerhouse runner who is big, can get up to speed real fast and cause problems in the same space, and he's playing in the centres. Tuilagi still offers a different kind of threat from Nowell.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:38 pm

Im not sure if it is that easy to teach wings who are used to staying wide and using their pace to suddenly change up their game completely and come into the heavy traffic looking for work.

As a Quins fan I know this was asked more of Yarde and Visser in the past and neither were able to.

Its a total mindset change and tougher then just running in a different direction.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:54 pm

Maybe I'm wrong then. I just saw Nowell a couple of times carry in heavy traffic and not get much ground and thought Cokanasiga may have done better. Maybe he wouldn't have, maybe he wouldn't have run the line in the first place. But if I were being hyper-critical if we want to play a power game and have a winger who can get us onto the front foot as his primary role then Nowell is fine, but we could perhaps we have someone better. Nowell fronts up and carries hard, but only 3 times over the gainline against Ireland.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next