The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales

+50
lostinwales
Shifty
Scottrf
Heaf
carpet baboon
Duty281
TightHEAD
BlueNote
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
cakeordeath
Afro
Collapse2005
Tattie Scones RRN
Luckless Pedestrian
No9
Noble-Surfer
NeilyBroon
TJ
LondonTiger
Pal Joey
No 7&1/2
Pie
bsando
robbo277
Tramptastic
Hazel Sapling
Ricardo74
George Carlin
munkian
WELL-PAST-IT
jimbopip
EnglishReign
EWT Spoons
EST
rodders
Eejit
RDW
LordDowlais
RiscaGame
tigertattie
mikey_dragon
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
BigGee
maestegmafia
54 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales - Page 16 Empty Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Feb 2019, 7:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sat, 9 Mar, 14:15
Murrayfield Stadium

Scotland.

Kinghorn, Seymour, Grigg, Graham, Horne, Russell, Price; Dell, McInally, Nel, Gilchrist, Gray, Bradbury, Strauss, Ritchie.

Reps: Brown, Reid, Berghan, Toolis, Watson, Laidlaw, Hastings, McGuigan

Wales.

Liam Williams; George North, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans., Ken Owens, Tomas Francis; Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones; Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Nicky Smith, Dillon Lewis, Jake Ball, Aaron Wainwright, Aled Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Watkin.

Referee Pascal Gauzere (France)
Assistant Luke Pearce (England)
Assistant Federico Anselmi (Argentina)
TMO Marius Jonker (South Africa)

Scotland v Wales is on BBC One

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 07 Mar 2019, 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales - Page 16 Empty Re: Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales

Post by LordDowlais Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:03 am

Whilst I thought Scotland's second half performance was a sterling effort, I also think it was helped massively by weak refereeing.

The officials started listening to the crowd, and were letting Scotland get away with murder at the breakdown. Scotland were clearing players out from the side, and beyond the ruck, they were flopping all over the ball and were allowed to hold onto the ball for longer than they should have.

That being said, I think Scotland could still be playing now, and they would not have scored their 2nd try. The Welsh defence was immense, and I do not think Ireland will be looking forward to the collisions that Scotland had to endure on Saturday.

All in All, Wales were just too big and strong for Scotland on Saturday.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales - Page 16 Empty Re: Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:34 am

munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote: WRU president Dennis Gethin and his SRU counterpart Dee Bradbury were able to hand over a cheque for £155,764.76 to the Doddie Weir charity to help end MND.  

Great to hear.

In hindsight I'm glad we had to fight for the win in the 2nd half - we will certainly have learned a lot more than England and Ireland's easy run ins.

England came to us on a back of an easy victory over France, hoping for a similar performance from the Welsh players and crowd this weekend.

In the best possible way, this game was brilliant 'practice' for what Wales are likely to face against Ireland - being pinned in their own half for 5-10 minutes at a time, grinding through the phases. Ireland will be better at that, but it's good that Wales will be battle hardened to an extent after both Eng and Ire games.

Still a massive achievement to win those 3 in a row. If it happens, hands down, Gatland's greatest Welsh achievement...so far. Hope it does but have a sneaky feeling it's one vitory too far with the way this tournament has gone for Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:40 am

That Hamish Watson is some player! Also impressed by the young Hastings.

Wales seem to be making it through this tournament without really having enough from 9, 10 and 12 to effectively use their really very good outside backs, but basically just sticking well to their defensive systems and gutsing it out.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:41 am

Still could not work out why we did not go for the 3 points with 10 mins to go with the multiple penalties we were getting.

One point down with 10 mins to go and the momentum

I really think our decision making is school level too often...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2019, 10:57 am

I actually think going for the try was the right thing. Pressure is key in sport and the NH teams are traditionally bad at keeping the foot on the throat. I hate to see a kick at goal for a penalty in the 22. If anything, given how good Wales are and have been this 6Ns at not giving away penalties, the fact they gave away so many is a sign Scotland had them under some pressure for a while. A sign that going for the try was working.

Basically, if you take 3 - or even if Scotland have scored a try with 10 mins to go - I'd be confident Wales would recover territory from kick-off/exit receipt, get a foothold back in the Scottish half, and score themselves.

Scotland's problem was that an unconverted try would take them into the lead. And so the longer the game went on, they had to stick with it - because the likelihood of getting another scoring chance diminished. For a team like Scotland as well - who struggled to score in Paris, despite making good breaks - you have to back your team to get the try in that scenario. You can't expect them to take the ball in their 22 from the kick-off after scoring 3 points and not only not concede control and possibly points, too, but go back down the other end and work another scoring opportunity from the boot.

I do agree Scotland need better game management though. But, again, it comes back to the platform - I don't think they are a team who can take 3, and another 3, and another and win games against the better/best teams in the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2019, 12:28 pm

A few observations:

1. Injuries. Yes, all teams have them and need to learn how to cope (as Wales have without Faletau). But the situation we currently face is extraordinary and I really think we have to acknowledge that. The backline is down to 4th choice in some places and that was there for all to see on Saturday. We just don't have sufficient depth, which is more an explanation than an excuse.

2. Defence. Compare the two Welsh tries in the first half with our siege of the Welsh 22 in the second. We are far too relaxed in defending our own line, whereas the Welsh defensive intensity was something to behold. They merely had to run through a few phases to find a weak shoulder, whereas Scotland had to be exceptional to score (and the Graham try was lovely).

3. Taking 3 points. This is something that we appear to have forgotten how to do. Yes, I appreciate the importance of momentum, but by remaining more than 3 points off the Welsh at 11-15 it allowed Wales to push the envelope in defence and risk penalties. Had we been attacking them at 14-15 with 10 minutes to play I think we'd have had more joy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we were wasteful on Saturday in my opinion.

4. Dreading Twickenham, and the back three is likely to comprise GC's Uncle, RDW (on his favoured wing, obviously) and Byron McGuigan.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 11 Mar 2019, 2:02 pm

We were the masters of our own downfall this weekend.

The ref was utter mince, but he was utter mince for both teams throughout the game.

60 mins, score is 11-15, Scotland get a penatly, dont go for the kick but look for the lineout. Could have been 14-15

69 mins, another penalty, and another kick to touch, could have been 17-15 now

70 mins, another penalty, now had we kicked the last one, we'd not have had this one as we wouldnt have been in the area, but it would still be 17-15

Then it would have been wales trying to get the points rather than us.

Fundemental rugby tactics, if you are less than a try away and you get the option, take the points.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 11 Mar 2019, 2:10 pm

tigertattie wrote:We were the masters of our own downfall this weekend.

The ref was utter mince, but he was utter mince for both teams throughout the game.

60 mins, score is 11-15, Scotland get a penatly, dont go for the kick but look for the lineout. Could have been 14-15

70 mins, another penalty, now had we kicked the last one, we'd not have had this one as we wouldnt have been in the area, but it would still be 17-15

Fundemental rugby tactics, if you are less than a try away and you get the option, take the points.

Our mental fragility continues to plumb new depths, on one of those lineouts we overthrew to the tail. I get that its easier to attack from the tail of a lienout, but we were 5 m from the try line - get the front jumper up and concentrate on setting up the maul. We have virtually no leaders in our team who can grab a hold of the game and ensure we play sensibly.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Mar 2019, 4:13 pm

The maul itself was something that never clicked, in part due to the supremacy of the Welsh locks in this area. I wonder whether the scrum wouldn't have been the better platform to attack from, even though we struggled in this area as well (although the ref wasn't policing it).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 11 Mar 2019, 4:44 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The maul itself was something that never clicked, in part due to the supremacy of the Welsh locks in this area. I wonder whether the scrum wouldn't have been the better platform to attack from, even though we struggled in this area as well (although the ref wasn't policing it).

True, I think Beard managed to disrupt two or three - I have no real confidence in our set piece at all just now, but we look especially vulnerable when it comes to the maul.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 12 Mar 2019, 8:27 am

EST wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:The maul itself was something that never clicked, in part due to the supremacy of the Welsh locks in this area. I wonder whether the scrum wouldn't have been the better platform to attack from, even though we struggled in this area as well (although the ref wasn't policing it).

True, I think Beard managed to disrupt two or three - I have no real confidence in our set piece at all just now, but we look especially vulnerable when it comes to the maul.

In your defence, Beard is being groomed as Clarteris mk2 at maul defence.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2019, 8:44 am

munkian wrote:
EST wrote:

In your defence, Beard is being groomed as Clarteris mk2 at maul defence.

Six Nations round 4 Scotland vs Wales - Page 16 Tenor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 12 Mar 2019, 12:50 pm

Totally agree with this.
As a neutral I wondered if it was just me couldn't understand the Scottish tactics. Scotland are trying to play champagne rugby drawing on the dregs from glasses sitting around a Sauchiehall pub.

It's fine going for the corner when players have practised their moves to death, but there were a lot of players that didn't have the experience of the situation or the muscle memory of the collective. They were struggling all game against the Wales defence - and the Welsh players could play on the edge and get penalised without it hurting them on the scoreboard. The commentator defended the penalty to the corner decision by saying that Scotland wanted to stay in that area and avoid the restart in their own half - what did he think would have happened if they had scored 5 points?
They really needed Johnny Gray or Finn Russell to take the responsibility of adjusting the game plan to suit the situation, (and I have to apologise in advance for criticising another nation's player) but Russell especially seems to shirk that role. His first instinct is to attack, yes everyone gets that, but points are the aim not attack for attack's sake. He didn't look confident with the tee in front of him and maybe that affected his decision making. Even his long penalty punting for the corner always tries to bite the last inch out of the kick and not for the first time this series he missed touch - is that the way Scotland should pressurise the opposition? There were too many times too where Russell tried passes that fell into space unpopulated by blue shirts.
Russell undoubtedly has the fizz of a vintage Dom Perignon but some of those around him were more in the heavy McEwans 80 shilling category. Maybe next time Scotland get in a brawl they need to see what they have on tap first and adjust their tactics to suit?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 12 Mar 2019, 12:59 pm

Its hard to tell what happened in the 2nd half of the game.

Personally, I thought we had Scotland on the ropes and another try would've become a potential pumelling.

But... we gave Scotland the ball back - almost on purpose ? Did Gatland want us to have another huge defensive training session in preperation for Ireland ?

Hard to tell exactly.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2019, 12:59 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

Totally agree with this.
As a neutral I wondered if it was just me couldn't understand the Scottish tactics. Scotland are trying to play champagne rugby drawing on the dregs from glasses sitting around a Sauchiehall pub.

It's fine going for the corner when players have practised their moves to death, but there were a lot of players that didn't have the experience of the situation or the muscle memory of the collective. They were struggling all game against the Wales defence - and the Welsh players could play on the edge and get penalised without it hurting them on the scoreboard. The commentator defended the penalty to the corner decision by saying that Scotland wanted to stay in that area and avoid the restart in their own half - what did he think would have happened if they had scored 5 points?
They really needed Johnny Gray or Finn Russell to take the responsibility of adjusting the game plan to suit the situation, (and I have to apologise in advance for criticising another nation's player) but Russell especially seems to shirk that role. His first instinct is to attack, yes everyone gets that, but points are the aim not attack for attack's sake. He didn't look confident with the tee in front of him and maybe that affected his decision making. Even his long penalty punting for the corner always tries to bite the last inch out of the kick and not for the first time this series he missed touch - is that the way Scotland should pressurise the opposition? There were too many times too where Russell tried passes that fell into space unpopulated by blue shirts.
Russell undoubtedly has the fizz of a vintage Dom Perignon but some of those around him were more in the heavy McEwans 80 shilling category. Maybe next time Scotland get in a brawl they need to see what they have on tap first and adjust their tactics to suit?

Loving the alcohol references - you really know how to relate to Scottish people! Ale Ale Ale Whisky Whisky Whisky RedWine RedWine RedWine guinness guinness guinness

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16