The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again!

+28
Tramptastic
Tattie Scones RRN
Pie
robbo277
compelling and rich
rodders
eirebilly
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
Gooseberry
alive555
Cyril
BigGee
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
Rugby Fan
BamBam
nth
Taylorman
mikey_dragon
Collapse2005
RiscaGame
R!skysports
tigertattie
No 7&1/2
Rinsure
maestegmafia
TightHEAD
32 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again! - Page 8 Empty Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again!

Post by TightHEAD Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gatland to lead the Lions to SA in 2021

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48224634?filter=none

I guess this rules him out of the England job post RWC, guess he is waiting for the All Blacks, still. thumbsup

Last edited by TightHEAD on Fri May 10, 2019 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again! - Page 8 Empty Re: Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again!

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 am

That test does show how far safety has come on Iin rugby doesn't it. Very little chance o'Gara would be on the field at that point now.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again! - Page 8 Empty Re: Gatland to lead the Lions in 2021.......again!

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:26 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:That test does show how far safety has come on Iin  rugby doesn't it. Very little chance o'Gara would be on the field at that point now.

Though incidents do still happen to show the system is not perfect. Admittedly a few years ago now but high profile incidents involving George North at MS and Welford Road have done the game a disservice. More recently there were a handful of players that passed HIAs and returned to play but were then ruled out of at least the following week with concussion symptoms. This was towards the end of the GP season but pretty sure you could find similar in other leagues round the world.

Players like North (and Dave Denton) have had at least 5 major concussions and if they were amateurs would have had to stop playing. While we do take concussion more seriously the pressures on players and coaches will still see guys returning to play who should not.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 am

True.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 am

Think the first time I was horrified by leaving a player on who was clearly concussed was Chris Ashton at Twickenham in 2010 against South Africa.

Given what we know now, this Daily Express report reads horribly:

ENGLAND’S deadly finisher Chris Ashton has admitted he made a mistake in staying on the pitch at Twickenham against South Africa 12 days ago after being knocked out. He needed five minutes of treatment after slumping to the ground following a tackle on Victor Matfield which broke the Springbok captain’s rib and sent Northampton wing Ashton into cloud cuckoo land.

Despite the reservations of referee George Clancy, Ashton insisted he could continue and went on to play all but 10 minutes of the game.

“At the time you don’t really think whether it is the right thing to carry on, you just want to play – but coming off would probably have been the right decision for me and for the team, more importantly,” said Ashton.

“I have watched it and I do appear to be all right but I didn’t play how I normally play. I didn’t get involved in the game as much as I normally like to, so I definitely wasn’t with it.

“The medical staff kept checking every five minutes and I kept saying I was all right, so I kept up a good act. I was very convincing. The ref wanted me to go off and I can’t remember anything about the game, so obviously I wasn’t fine. All I remember is coming off and sitting on the bench. I think I remember the bus journey, but then again we did the same bus journey every week so I might not.”

However, Northampton coach Dorian West has no issues with England’s approach to player welfare. “Rugby is rugby. I’ve been in that position myself and you just want to stay on and play,” he said. “Chris wanted to stay on the pitch and the only thing you can do in that situation is monitor a player.”

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/216297/Carry-on-is-no-joke-as-Chris-Ashton-regrets-gamble

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:42 am

Sheesh, had never seen that one RF.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8