The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
Be_the_ball
Davie
Collapse2005
superflyweight
JAS
Roller_Coaster
dynamark
wiretapper
super_realist
beninho
westisbest
pedro
navyblueshorts
kwinigolfer
McLaren
19 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Fri 31 May 2019, 2:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Kwini

It amazes me that a professional footballer can end up one footed. Just practice with your weak foot every day.

I remember spending a summer playing with only my left foot in the garden. Came back next season two footed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 19 Jul 2019, 6:17 pm

JAS wrote:Not sure where that nickname comes from Ralph, being the regional home of Aberdeen Angus beef I’d have thought Coo more appropriate and sheep more relevant to the Welsh outfit that humped Kilmarnock last night.

Anyways, as an Aberdeen fan I would have thought the coefficient would be of more interest. Wouldn’t you prefer entry at group stage rather than banana skin qualifiers? Personally I hate the whole approach uefa take in ranking teams/countries as it’s geared toward money laden leagues with big TV rights but it is what it is and we have to get on with it. The Dutch aren’t a big money league yet they turn out talent year after year and occasionally a PSV or Ajax light the way for lesser nations. Obviously, after the relative success of Ajax this season, their team gets broken up but at least it means money rolling into Dutch football to be recycled. That is what the Scottish League should be looking to do/aspire to. Trouble is (and this is where there are some grains of truth in what Super says), the SFA & SPFL are riddled with parochial petty jealously, infighting and a complete inability to make sound decisions for the good of the game especially in terms of selling/marketing itself. So the game in Scotland  stumbles along taking slaps in the face like Kilmarnock took last night. While the national team crawls away from places like Kazakhstan with its tail between its legs. Football does go in cycles though and with a bit of will Scottish football could/should get back to a better place than where it is now.
European football has been  going now for over 60 years, the longest period without a Scottish team appearing in a final is 16 years (Dundee Utd in ‘87 to Celtic in ‘03). It’s currently 11 years and counting, I’m pretty sure we’ve never been as low as we are now and the smart money would say it’ll be more than 5 years before a Scottish Club graces a final again. But hey, you never know when the next  Fergie, Stein or McLean will be unearthed, NOBODY can predict that, not even Super.

Scottish football doesn't deserve to be anywhere near Europe.
More than 5 years? I doubt we'll see a Scottish team in a final in the next 100 years. Why would there be? I wouldn't expect to see a Serbian or Swedish team in a final, so why would anyone think there was ever a chance of a Scottish team getting there? There's simply no financial interest in the game here.
Football wasn't always about money, which is why teams like Aberdeen and Dundee United could get to finals. That's not the case any more and I can't ever see a day when a Scottish team will ever get to a QF, let alone a final. Right now, you can't actually guarantee any Scottish club  team is going to get through a qualification campaign in Europe.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:49 am

Mac. I caught a bit of the news yesterday and your celebrity crush Laura Kuensberg was on. I have no idea what you see in her. She looked like she'd had a stroke. Not a remotely attractive woman.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 25 Jul 2019, 11:17 am

Are you kidding. That red dress she had on was hot.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:19 pm

McLaren wrote:Are you kidding. That red dress she had on was hot.

She's incredibly plain and frumpy Mac, even by British standards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 25 Jul 2019, 1:57 pm

Well who is your exemplar of beauty?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Jul 2019, 2:48 pm

Am I in a dream ?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:38 pm

dynamark wrote:Am I in a dream ?
No; a nightmare.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:10 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Are you kidding. That red dress she had on was hot.

She's incredibly plain and frumpy Mac, even by British standards.

Can’t believe you’re biting Super, Mac’s clearly wumming. I don’t think much of her journalistic prowess either.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 26 Jul 2019, 9:39 am

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:Not sure where that nickname comes from Ralph, being the regional home of Aberdeen Angus beef I’d have thought Coo more appropriate and sheep more relevant to the Welsh outfit that humped Kilmarnock last night.

Anyways, as an Aberdeen fan I would have thought the coefficient would be of more interest. Wouldn’t you prefer entry at group stage rather than banana skin qualifiers? Personally I hate the whole approach uefa take in ranking teams/countries as it’s geared toward money laden leagues with big TV rights but it is what it is and we have to get on with it. The Dutch aren’t a big money league yet they turn out talent year after year and occasionally a PSV or Ajax light the way for lesser nations. Obviously, after the relative success of Ajax this season, their team gets broken up but at least it means money rolling into Dutch football to be recycled. That is what the Scottish League should be looking to do/aspire to. Trouble is (and this is where there are some grains of truth in what Super says), the SFA & SPFL are riddled with parochial petty jealously, infighting and a complete inability to make sound decisions for the good of the game especially in terms of selling/marketing itself. So the game in Scotland  stumbles along taking slaps in the face like Kilmarnock took last night. While the national team crawls away from places like Kazakhstan with its tail between its legs. Football does go in cycles though and with a bit of will Scottish football could/should get back to a better place than where it is now.
European football has been  going now for over 60 years, the longest period without a Scottish team appearing in a final is 16 years (Dundee Utd in ‘87 to Celtic in ‘03). It’s currently 11 years and counting, I’m pretty sure we’ve never been as low as we are now and the smart money would say it’ll be more than 5 years before a Scottish Club graces a final again. But hey, you never know when the next  Fergie, Stein or McLean will be unearthed, NOBODY can predict that, not even Super.

Scottish football doesn't deserve to be anywhere near Europe.
More than 5 years? I doubt we'll see a Scottish team in a final in the next 100 years. Why would there be? I wouldn't expect to see a Serbian or Swedish team in a final, so why would anyone think there was ever a chance of a Scottish team getting there? There's simply no financial interest in the game here.
Football wasn't always about money, which is why teams like Aberdeen and Dundee United could get to finals. That's not the case any more and I can't ever see a day when a Scottish team will ever get to a QF, let alone a final. Right now, you can't actually guarantee any Scottish club  team is going to get through a qualification campaign in Europe.

Looks like the gauntlet has been laid for the 21/22 season with the advent of Europa league 2 (for teams from countries ranked 16 or worse. We’ll need 2/3 good seasons to get back to the top 15, doable but certainly not guaranteed.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:16 am

Ireland need 182 runs to win at Lords. England all out with the first ball of the day. Will they do it?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:59 am

Not a wind up.  

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 368476dec1d125facbf81e7bc32c2071

And she plays golf

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 8 Laura-1
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 12:08 pm

Rough enough looking bird

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 26 Jul 2019, 3:28 pm

Play golf -Not with me she doesn't .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Jul 2019, 4:12 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Ireland need 182 runs to win at Lords. England all out with the first ball of the day. Will they do it?

That'll be an emphatic 'No' then.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 4:29 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Ireland need 182 runs to win at Lords. England all out with the first ball of the day. Will they do it?

Yes smashed, albeit you weren't willing to make a prediction until after the fact it seems.

Still they acquitted themselves well over the three days.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 26 Jul 2019, 4:36 pm

Jesus Mac, you need professional help. What happened to the Mischa Barton lookalike you said you were going out with? Did she get a puncture?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 4:38 pm

Haha

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Jul 2019, 5:05 pm

Can you not find them both attractive?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Yes smashed, albeit you weren't willing to make a prediction until after the fact it seems.

Still they acquitted themselves well over the three days.
Sorry, only saw your post after the eye-blink that was the Irish innings I'm afraid. Doesn't help that all cricket is on Sky now either; I've pretty much lost the interest in it that I had pre-2005.
I'd agree with you re. Ireland though; for a new Test nation, they were pretty damned good and, if anything, England came out of the result infinitely worse. Pretty sure the Aussies pacemen will be licking their lips at the thought of the upcoming Ashes series.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Jul 2019, 6:53 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Jesus Mac, you need professional help. What happened to the Mischa Barton lookalike you said you were going out with? Did she get a puncture?
Just Googled her; to be fair, she does look pretty plastic. Am I allowed to say that sort of thing these days?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Jul 2019, 8:00 pm

Anyway not sure I ever said Mischa Barton lookalike, more just has that general look.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Jul 2019, 8:11 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:Jesus Mac, you need professional help. What happened to the Mischa Barton lookalike you said you were going out with? Did she get a puncture?
Just Googled her; to be fair, she does look pretty plastic. Am I allowed to say that sort of thing these days?

I'm not offended, as I said the likeness isn't all that great, just the general idea.  You guys are hard to please though, Mischa Barton and Laura K beneath your standards!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 26 Jul 2019, 8:22 pm

Isn't mischa barton drug addled? So like most scots then..

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 27 Jul 2019, 12:55 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

I'm not offended, as I said the likeness isn't all that great, just the general idea.  You guys are hard to please though, Mischa Barton and Laura K beneath your standards!
Be a bit boring if we all like the same things, wouldn't it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:03 am

£15m for Phillip Billing. Who the hell is he? Remember when that figure got you an Alan Shearer, or whem 11m got you a Thierry Henry.

I have no idea about the transfer market anymore.

Arsenal spending £72onm on Nicholas Pepe, and 26m on Saliba who is 18 and sent back to france for the season. 50m on Joelinton. Its all utter madness.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:23 am

beninho wrote:£15m for Phillip Billing. Who the hell is he? Remember when that figure got you an Alan Shearer, or whem 11m got you a Thierry Henry.

Arsenal spending £72onm on Nicholas Pepe, and 26m on Saliba who is 18 and sent back to france for the season. 50m on Joelinton. Its all utter madness.

Completely agree, you get somebody like Hudson Odoi, who is not much more than an embryo, has played a handful of first team games and is getting 100k a week when he's not even an established player. I'm not sure that it can be sustained, surely at some point football is going to implode (which will be funny). It's only supported by TV money, and without it how could it survive?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:31 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:£15m for Phillip Billing. Who the hell is he? Remember when that figure got you an Alan Shearer, or whem 11m got you a Thierry Henry.

Completely agree, you get somebody like Hudson Odoi, who is not much more than an embryo, has played a handful of first team games and is getting 100k a week when he's not even an established player. I'm not sure that it can be sustained, surely at some point football is going to implode (which will be funny). It's only supported by TV money, and without it how could it survive?

It seems ALL Sport is "only supported by TV money" . . . . . . . . a bubble will burst sooner or later.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:35 am

No other sport pays such ridiculous sums to nobodies though, that's the point.

Most other sports, you only make the money if you actually succeed and win something, footballers get paid outrageous sums of money for being average.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 28 Jul 2019, 1:22 pm

Is it possible to feel sad to see someone become the highest paid footballer in the world, £1m per week? That's what Gareth Bale will be on in China. A waste of talent imo playing over there.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 28 Jul 2019, 1:47 pm

The Bale deal has reportedly fallen through already

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 28 Jul 2019, 1:56 pm

The Bale deal, I have no issues with. He's basically conquered European football. Let him take the cash if he can.

Curious whether Madrid have pulled it, over Zidanes head. Especially aftet the thumping to athletico.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 28 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

Unfortunately I dont think Zidane had any time for Bale. Some of the reports out of Madrid sounded like bullying. Him being left out of various things. He had some level of Spanish, but its very easy for native speakers to exclude a non native speaker if they want, using slang etc..

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2019, 7:52 am

Be_the_ball wrote:Unfortunately I dont think Zidane had any time for Bale. Some of the reports out of Madrid sounded like bullying. Him being left out of various things. He had some level of Spanish, but its very easy for native speakers to exclude a non native speaker if they want, using slang etc..

How long has he been there now? There's no excuse for him not to be fluent in Spanish. Given the time he's been there, the resources he has, the spare time he has per day,  he should be able to speak good enough Spanish to be able to pick up on everything.

Lineker was only in Barcelona for three seasons, he's fluent, Bale has been there six I think. If he's not fluent, he only has himself to blame.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Jul 2019, 9:11 am

super_realist wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:Unfortunately I dont think Zidane had any time for Bale. Some of the reports out of Madrid sounded like bullying. Him being left out of various things. He had some level of Spanish, but its very easy for native speakers to exclude a non native speaker if they want, using slang etc..

How long has he been there now? There's no excuse for him not to be fluent in Spanish. Given the time he's been there, the resources he has, the spare time he has per day,  he should be able to speak good enough Spanish to be able to pick up on everything.

Lineker was only in Barcelona for three seasons, he's fluent, Bale has been there six I think. If he's not fluent, he only has himself to blame.
The only words Bale picked up are: Campo de golf.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 29 Jul 2019, 9:43 am

A garlic festival? Yep you just keep your guns American and everything will be fine...
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 29 Jul 2019, 12:16 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Is it possible to feel sad to see someone become the highest paid footballer in the world, £1m per week? That's what Gareth Bale will be on in China. A waste of talent imo playing over there.

I’d say squeezing a £1m a week Bale would have been pretty much making the most of his talent. More of a question would be how can Chinese clubs pay more than the worlds established leading clubs. How can they possibly have a sustainable business model (which doesn’t include some sort of money laundering activity). I take it FFP is a uefa thing not a fifa thing?

Last edited by JAS on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 29 Jul 2019, 1:00 pm

JAS wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:Is it possible to feel sad to see someone become the highest paid footballer in the world, £1m per week? That's what Gareth Bale will be on in China. A waste of talent imo playing over there.

I’d say squeezing a £1m a week Bale would have been pretty much making the most of his talent. More of a question would be how can Chinese clubs pay more than the worlds established leading clubs. How can they possess Bly have a sustainable business model (which doesn’t include some sort of money laundering activity). I take it FFP is a uefa thing not a fifa thing?

They may have just copied English footballs model of attracting overseas investors to invest their illicit fortunes in clubs in order to make their money legitimate and seek refuge at the same time.

English football is one of the worlds front runners in money laundering.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 29 Jul 2019, 3:13 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
JAS wrote:

I’d say squeezing a £1m a week Bale would have been pretty much making the most of his talent. More of a question would be how can Chinese clubs pay more than the worlds established leading clubs. How can they possess Bly have a sustainable business model (which doesn’t include some sort of money laundering activity). I take it FFP is a uefa thing not a fifa thing?

They may have just copied English footballs model of attracting overseas investors to invest their illicit fortunes in clubs in order to make their money legitimate and seek refuge at the same time.

Just checked (slow Monday!!) and the Chinese Club chasing Bale have an average home gate of 32000 for the past few seasons. Now admittedly one can only speculate at the rest of the wage bill but if the were prepared to lump out £1m a week on Bale it would be reasonable to guess that the rest of the squad + mgr and other assistants the wage bill may be £5m?? Divide that by 32k!! And that doesn’t include other running costs. Admittedly it doesn’t include merchandising or TV income either. Anyone know what sort of TV revenue the CSL dishes out to their clubs?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 29 Jul 2019, 3:55 pm

McLaren wrote:A garlic festival? Yep you just keep your guns American and everything will be fine...

Mac,
Gilroy is the "Garlic Capital of the World", or at least that's the way the United States looks at it.

But:
Which Major Champion, one of the tallest of that ilk and possibly the last to be functionally illiterate, was known as the Gilroy Cowboy?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2019, 7:15 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
JAS wrote:

In terms of business, any other company that ran with such a high percentage of turnover as staff salaries would be laughed out of the business world and there would be a shareholder revolt.

Most successful, large businesses on a scale with a football club have a wage bill of around 10%. I suspect football clubs are nearer 80-90%.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 30 Jul 2019, 9:32 am

super_realist wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
JAS wrote:

In terms of business, any other company that ran with such a high percentage of turnover as staff salaries would be laughed out of the business world and there would be a shareholder revolt.

Most successful, large businesses on a scale with a football club  have a wage bill of around 10%. I suspect football clubs are nearer 80-90%.

In some ways that's why football is perfect for money laundering. Investors aren't going to make massive returns on investment compared to other industries however, they are happy to invest their fortunes if it makes their fortunes legitimate which it inevitably does such is the extent of good will that football has accumulated in communities around the world.

It is one of the many reasons I have no interest in professional European football anymore.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Tue 30 Jul 2019, 4:49 pm

super_realist wrote:

It's not Gareth Bales fault Super, he was getting lessons from Diggers,
Bale speaks fluent Spanish now btw, its just with a Geordie accent   Erm  Laugh

I'm only joking Diggers, dónde estás?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Jul 2019, 7:41 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
super_realist wrote:

It's not Gareth Bales fault Super, he was getting lessons from Diggers,
Bale speaks fluent Spanish now btw, its just with a Geordie accent   Erm  Laugh

I'm only joking Diggers, dónde estás?

Like Steve McLaren speaking fluent Dutch or Joey Barton French?

Where the hell is Diggers by the way? Did he threaten the life of a Brexiteer and end up in jail?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 30 Jul 2019, 7:46 pm

The Brexiteers are devaluing my pension - not happy.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Tue 30 Jul 2019, 7:53 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:The Brexiteers are devaluing my pension - not happy.

Why doesn't someone tell the Forex traders they just need to "believe".

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 31 Jul 2019, 1:07 pm

Digs sadly missing somewhere in the Brighton area.Maybe he is glued to a tree or something.
School hols now so he should busy preparing for next term .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 01 Aug 2019, 6:19 pm

For those who follow footie and are not aware, there are a host of new rules coming into play next season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48965849

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 02 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm

Oli McBurnie £20 million Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 02 Aug 2019, 2:57 pm

wiretapper wrote:Oli McBurnie £20 million Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

I think he's going to be good though, don't you?
Strange they only got 15M for Daniel James . . . . . . imagine their American owners will flog off a couple of their other good youngsters and sell up, pocket the profits.

Plus we've just sold our best two players from last year, PFC beginning to lose any momentum they might have retained from last year. I blame Mickey Mouse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 03 Aug 2019, 8:02 am

£20mill is pretty cheap in today’s (crazy) market.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next