The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph

3 posters

Go down

Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph Empty Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph

Post by BamBam Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:11 pm

The footballing world was once crying out for the introduction of VAR. Now that it is starting to become embedded in the beautiful game, it is taking away from the spectacle of big moments - such as the Women's World Cup currently ongoing - and making a mockery out of the game we all once loved with such passion.

VAR is not working in its current guise. But you six are going to fix it for Gianni Infantino and his FIFA cronies.

The task
I want you to come up with two options for the future of VAR: one, removing VAR completely and two, improving the use of VAR.

What you include in each element of the task is entirely up to you - you have an unlimited budget, but must also maintain a dose of reality. For example, it is unrealistic to expect football associations to pay for additional referees to replace this technology when it was brought in to reduce costs, not add to them.

Teams
Due to the double firing last week, I am going to shake the teams up.

Nando, you go over to Team Unicorn. BamBam and Dolph, you go over and join Trebs on Team Sterling.

Deadline
Now, go off in your teams and come back to me by 11:59 next Monday 1 July with your team submissions. And remember: from the losing team, at least one of you will be fired.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph Empty Re: Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph

Post by BamBam Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:12 pm

Team leader .. Dolph it should probably be you as you've not done it yet?

I'm not around from Thurs, so will only be able to be involved up until Wednesday, will post my thoughts later today/tomorrow

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph Empty Re: Azzrentice - Task 3 - Team Sterling - Bam, Trebs, Dolph

Post by Trebs Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:21 pm

Yeah I'd agree with that. Me and Bam both led first week and from the looks of things both of us ended up effectively doing the work second week!

Couple of ideas off the top of my head to get the ball rolling:

Improving VAR
Tennis style challenge system - managers/captains?
Screens must be in all stadiums
'Clear and obvious' errors or all decisions?

Getting rid of VAR
Better referee training?
More serious diving/simulation penalties as a deterrent

Other ideas
I've always wondered if it's possible for all players to wear a chip or something in their shirt to determine offside, is this feasible?
Referee media interviews/ref association rep speaks once a week?
Improving the rules in general to help consistency. e.g. CL handballs.
Mic referees like rugby? There was a trial in a recent Australian game which seemed to go well.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:21 pm

We're all on messenger, could communicate over that for ease?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:54 pm

This one isn't really an idea stealer, so not worried.

I fly home on July 3rd, about your 8am, so anything I do for that is priority. 

However, no problem taking this on. Do we aim for what is right (obviously VAR) or playing to Azzy?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 24 Jun 2019, 1:19 pm

I generally believe there should be a margin of error, like an LBW appeal in cricket, where an offside by tiny amounts should stay with the on field decision, like the "umpire's call" in cricket. 

There clearly needs to be a PR effort. There clearly needs to be an education effort, because some people are just plain dumb when it comes to VAR. 

However, improving referees should be done whilst "improving VAR." It would appease people, show that it's not VAR taking over and improve the decision making in play. 

Clearly, England is the goal here. Championship and Premier League grounds should all have it. It should be underlined from the start that it is only used in these grounds in the FA Cup - there is no advantage to any team. 

I think there needs to be an emphasis on going to the referee quicker when it's debated. Maybe a time limit window for a decision then straight to the ref. Maybe a time limit on stoppages too - if it's that hard, then clearly it's not clear and obvious.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 25 Jun 2019, 12:03 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:This one isn't really an idea stealer, so not worried.

I fly home on July 3rd, about your 8am, so anything I do for that is priority. 

However, no problem taking this on. Do we aim for what is right (obviously VAR) or playing to Azzy?

Think we end up doing both within the task, but yes agree that VAR is the right option

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 25 Jun 2019, 12:46 pm

Improving VAR

- If its used in a competition, it must be used in all games in that competition, no exceptions
- That would mean potentially acquiring temporary screens that can be used for grounds where it isn't installed, even non league stadiums - surely the technology is available?
- I'd consider bringing in specific TMO's like they have in rugby and cricket, do we think it should be the referee's responsibility to review his own decision? Rugby / cricket use the TMO to have the final say
- Agree with microphone for the referee
- I don't know what the proposal is here, but the 1cm offsides need to be stopped, but would mean a fundamental change to the offside rule

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 25 Jun 2019, 1:01 pm

That would be mad in the FA Cup. Even if we discount qualifying, the costs are ludicrous for most League one and two stadiums - so I guess we argue that unlimited but unrealistic means we can justifiably argue it’s realistic.

There are realistic financial ways of doing that, whether it be to do with how money is funnelled throughout the divisions or the FA putting hand in pocket for every stadium in the leagues. But then it’s officials being available too. Cheaper for them to bring it in for the game, without screens for the fans, but with officials?

I don’t see any need for every game in a competition to have it. It’s not particularly logical, which is a big issue in this whole argument. It’s become very emotional, it’s almost getting to the entrenched views levels of Brexit

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 25 Jun 2019, 1:06 pm

We need to consider how much VAR costs and whether it is feasible to make all Championship and Champions League/Europa League sides can afford it. I'm thinking it's all well and good expecting Villa Park and some of the other big stadiums to have it, but what about a Burton Albion? Do they have to stay in League One? And I'm sure there'll be some small nations who are in Europe that may not have big budgets.

In rugby, you hear the thought process because referees are mic'ed up. Would that help with this because at least with the time delay, the fans know what is under consideration and stuff is going on which makes the time seen shorter. Having said that, I do think a time limit could work though.

I don't like the margin of error you mention. If someone is 1cm offside and the video referee knows it, then they have to inform the referee. I think that allowing a 'wrong' decision to stand, no matter the error, isn't acceptable.

Agree with you that there needs to be a clear policy at the start of the season. I didn't like the fact the Champions League decided halfway through that VAR would be used in the knockout rounds. For the FA Cup, could we propose that non-league sides can change the home venue for the ground if we are allowing VAR?

As a separate point, I was trying to think of strange uses of VAR/example case studies. If we can use incidents to back up our points then we'll be in a much stronger position.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 25 Jun 2019, 1:08 pm

Another option which I think the FA proposed is that anyone in the ground would be able to see the VAR decisions using an app. I don't agree with it myself, it would be murder especially with the 3pm kick off embargo. But it's an option that could be reviewed.

I think from FA Cup 3rd round onwards VAR being used is okay. As long as that's what is agreed from the start. Could we allow non-league sides to switch draws if they want? For example, Sutton United are drawn at home to Man United in the FA Cup. Could they choose to get the game played at Old Trafford as a sort of compromise?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 25 Jun 2019, 1:20 pm

No chance networks would work well enoughfor everyone to see an app.

What’s wrong with a margin for error? We must accept that VAR is for clear and obvious and that technology is not 100%. If you’re talking tiny margins, the likelihood that it’s perfect is not maximum.

Mic’ing up won’t help the issue in stadiums, which is the most talked about.

Could linos have a button they press on their flags for offsides that alerts the big screens but allows them to carry on officiating? Gives an idea that something will be checked.

Is our consensus how we improve it? I would be impressed to see alternatives that aren’t just removing it and going back to what we had, which is less correct decisions.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 25 Jun 2019, 2:10 pm

Also think we need to think of a way to fix the goalkeepers off the line on pens issue - we'll have endless resets next season if there is no change to the rule based on what happened in the women's game the other day

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 25 Jun 2019, 2:51 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:No chance networks would work well enoughfor everyone to see an app.

What’s wrong with a margin for error? We must accept that VAR is for clear and obvious and that technology is not 100%. If you’re talking tiny margins, the likelihood that it’s perfect is not maximum.

Mic’ing up won’t help the issue in stadiums, which is the most talked about.

Could linos have a button they press on their flags for offsides that alerts the big screens but allows them to carry on officiating? Gives an idea that something will be checked.

Is our consensus how we improve it? I would be impressed to see alternatives that aren’t just removing it and going back to what we had, which is less correct decisions.

Most stadiums have wifi. With 5G coming in there might be more improvements? Not sure.

As for me I'd say that goalkeepers can start behind the line, which should help. Wouldn't book them for coming off their line though.
Perhaps ban stutter run ups to equalise it?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 25 Jun 2019, 2:52 pm

Video assistant referees in the Premier League next season will not rule on the goalkeeper’s position at penalties with those decisions being left to the judgment of on-field officials, it can be revealed.

VARs will be used in England’s top flight for the first time from August but, in presentations to clubs, managers and players, referees chiefs have said that the video officials will not be involved in decisions on the goalkeeper’s position at spot-kicks.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 25 Jun 2019, 2:53 pm

How many stadiums have you been to with WiFi for all fans? I go to one of the newest in England and it’s a dead zone for signal

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 25 Jun 2019, 3:19 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48534031
Yeah, I'm not sure it's realistic to have replays on an app.

Some stadiums like Anfield Old Trafford don't have screens (though OT have installed them for things like the Olympics) and if they put them in it will reduce the attendance. I just can't see how VAR is compatible with that.

Do we force them to put them in?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 25 Jun 2019, 5:26 pm

Still mad they don't have screens. I am tempted to say that the emphasis is put on the clubs to do it at Premier League level because it is their match-going fans they are disadvantaging.

Could a "VAR budget" be given to sides to encourage them to cover costs of WiFi, money towards screens etc?

Time is a huge factor for people. Time limit for decision? Time limit for how long before a goal an incident can count?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 8:42 am

Perhaps clubs are allowed to put short (2 min) highlights on social media? Currently they can't post anything, they would have to include any conclusive VAR moments for all fans to see?

Also feel that this would appease them as they'd make money from the social media revenues etc.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 8:46 am

Do you think we should start figuring out who does what, especially with you guys mentioning you won't be about later in the week?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 26 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

Sure, happy to do whatever just let me know

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 26 Jun 2019, 11:33 am

Should we also look at what rules need changing? It doesn’t suggest in the task that that is outside the realms

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 26 Jun 2019, 11:35 am

I’ve only just read the task again and seen we have to do something for improvements and for removing. Ahhh, the benefits of reading properly.

Which side would either of you prefer to go on? I’m a VARliever, are either of you VARleavers? (Notice the spelling difference)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 12:02 pm

I'm not an out and out Vexeteer, but im more in favour of that than others! Happy to take on that side and do a draft today.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 26 Jun 2019, 12:15 pm

We’ve discussed VAR itself a lot, it would only be fair to have a discussion on alternatives, otherwise one side has ammo from all and other doesn’t.

What’s the ideas?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 12:25 pm

To build up a case for getting rid of VAR, my arguments/structure would be something like this.

Immediate for this season:
More help referees - making some of the rules clearer, such as the handball rule
Some sort of media involvement for refs or a representative.
Increased retrospective action (can we get the same ref back in to look back at his decisions)

Trials to review for the start of the 20/21 season.
Start a trial where refs are mic'd - use selected FA Cup games
Investigate if offside can be done via a different technology.

Highlight the failings of VAR with some case studies.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 1:19 pm

Is that okay? Any other things I should add in an attempt to argue that VAR is for the birds?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 26 Jun 2019, 2:17 pm

Definitely think the case studies thing is a good idea for the failures of VAR

If getting rid of VAR, then there has to be an alternative solution to get offside decisions right at a very minimum. Ie is it possible to use a hawkeye type system which eliminates the video replay element but still pings the referee with the correct decision. The goal line tech has been a revelation, anything along those lines would be perfect

I can live with the referee's interpretations of handball etc, seems like its almost gone too far with the Man Utd vs PSG decision for example

Should there be something around how to deter managers, pundits and players from the over criticism of officials if a decision does go against them?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 2:45 pm

Yeah I think there's potential for Hawkeye but it won't be introduced this season.
I'll investigate what tech is out there and propose a year long study/trials with the intention for them to be used the following season, so there's a full year to find the right solution .

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 26 Jun 2019, 4:03 pm

I'll have a draft of that bit by tomorrow lunchtime

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 26 Jun 2019, 4:04 pm

I'm leaving work shortly and won't be around till next week, so will have to bow out from doing much else

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 27 Jun 2019, 1:19 am

If there is a way of using tracking data that aligns with the vest things they wear for in-house data then that would be a great way for helping offsides.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 27 Jun 2019, 1:35 pm

Spoiler:

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 27 Jun 2019, 1:36 pm

The case against VAR. Let us know your thoughts.

One of you okay to do the case for VAR and how it could be improved?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 30 Jun 2019, 2:49 am

I’m halfway through

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 30 Jun 2019, 9:55 am

I do disagree with some of the comments that don't relate to the use of VAR or otherwise. I don't think any challenge with two feet off the floor should be a red card, nor do I particularly agree that diving should be so heavily punished like Niasse was. I don't really believe VAR stops celebration either, having been at a game where it was used to check a goal. We just celebrated twice!

Also, I'm unsure our pitch can be so definitive if we are arguing two sides of the coin. The "anti" VAR option is basically saying VAR is crap at every turn, where we are just meant to be showing an alternative, aren't we?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 30 Jun 2019, 12:46 pm

VAR changes:

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 01 Jul 2019, 7:57 am

I agree with you that perhaps my pitch is a bit too definitive. I wasn't sure how to interpret the task, of whether it's two separate arguments. I can try do a rewrite this morning but not 100% sure if I'll have the time.

Especially agree with you on the punditslVar education issue.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 01 Jul 2019, 10:56 am

THE CASE AGAINST VAR
CASE STUDIES:

IMMEDIATE CHANGES:

LONG TERM CHANGES:

The other option is to retain VAR and to refine it. This is our proposal for the future.

The Case for VAR to be reformed:

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 01 Jul 2019, 10:56 am

Think this is our final submission above as I see it?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:11 pm

Sorry, I’ve been sorting my flight issues.

All seems good. Think they’ve nicked some of our ideas too Whistle

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:19 pm

No worries - their submission does look quite... similar. Will be interesting to see what Azzy says.

I think we've made a good submission!

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down