The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 8 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Sep 2019, 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:32 am

Probably best to judge Rennie at the end of this season and see what he accomplishes this time, but two Pro14 playoffs and a final as well as euro knockout qualification is not to be sniffed at. Losing to Leinster and Sarries is never a disgrace.

On Danny Wilson's appointment, we will have to wait and see. He did well with Cardiff in very difficult circumstances and got them playing some really good rugby.

He has not lit things up since moving to the Scotland pack, but maybe going back to being an assistant again was not the right move for him. I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and to see how he gets on.

I fancy O'Hallrohan will move as well and a new backs coach, maybe Mike Blair will come in. If Dalziel had a bit more experience, then he might be in for the Scotland forwards job, but probably a bit to soon for him, so no idea who will get that one.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by bsando Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:43 am

Yeah I wonder if O'halloran and Taylor will move with Rennie? That would be pretty alarming for Scottish Rugby but a great opportunity to promote from within and have a few more Scottish coaches in more prominent roles.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:45 am

If taylor moved surely mcrae would be a shoo in for Scotland defence coach?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:47 am

The fact Danny Wilson is so fresh to the Scottish setup must indicate the SRU feel he is better suited to a head coach role at Glasgow than as an international forwards coach. If they truly felt Wilson was the man to replace McFarland they'd be looking for someone else to replace Rennie.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:47 am

NeilyBroon wrote:If taylor moved surely mcrae would be a shoo in for Scotland defence coach?

That would be a decent appointment

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:54 am

The Super 6 is probably going to be used as an audition for coaching manoeuvring at the end of the season and I'm sure a few of them will be moved into Glasgow or Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:05 am

Ah so after reading an article on RP Rennie says he wants a strong Australian flavouring in his coaching group. Well I guess we'll see how it pans out in coming months then.

Australia have so much potential, I guarantee the Wallabies will shoot up the rankings with Rennie in charge and become a much tighter team. it was all too loose and irregular with Cheika at the helm.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:15 am

The fact that Rennie has gone at the end of this season has come as no surprise to the SRU. The fact that he only signed for one more year and was always likely to pick up an international job at the end of this WC cycle would have telegraphed that from the moon. We were lucky to have kept him when Wales were looking to be fair.

So yes, maybe Danny Wilson was always being lined up for the Glasgow job. He will no doubt be cheaper than DR and in all honesty, we were never likely to pick up such an experienced coach again, especially with the post WC merry go round in full flow.

Hopefully the super 6 will give us a few more home grown options by the time it comes around again.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:19 am

John Barclay has said he wanted to be a defence coach - that might come into the works in the next season or two.

He has lost a lot of his spark as a player - I wouldn't be surprised if he's not overly enjoying himself any more. Plus especially as a back row you've got to be thinking what your long term physical condition is going to be like post rugby life, although a lot of that damage has probably been done.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:20 am

George Carlin wrote:In two minds about Rennie. He's a great guy, no doubt about it. The fact that he never took the Warriors back to the promised land is down to a number of factors, some of which really have to be attributable to him. I think that he fell in love with coaching a talented Glasgow backline to attack in the same way as his Chiefs did and completely forgot about the fact that you need a decent tight five to actually get the ball in the first place.

He certainly got the Wallabies on the basis of his Super Rugby reputation and not his accomplishents in the past 3 years. Fair dos to the guy though - back to back championships is quite an achievement. Good luck to him. No strong feelings on a replacement. Doesn't need to be a marquee name but I hope that Bomrys has actually looked around rather than just blindly backfilling with internal staff.

Speaking of the promised land, I am back in Scotland for a bit as I have 6 weeks off before starting a new job in January (global general counsel for an international company, scary as sh!t) and so am staying at the Raeburn in Stockbridge just to see what it's like to have a bit of quality in my life. I will obviously walk in wearing my Warriors fleece and ask if I can have a Tennants Super with my squash risotto.

Congratulations on the job GC!

So just how big a dog are you now in the world of lawyering?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:24 am

RDW wrote:John Barclay has said he wanted to be a defence coach - that might come into the works in the next season or two.

He has lost a lot of his spark as a player - I wouldn't be surprised if he's not overly enjoying himself any more. Plus especially as a back row you've got to be thinking what your long term physical condition is going to be like post rugby life, although a lot of that damage has probably been done.

I think he is also out of contract at the end of this season, which may give him pause to think. If he wants to continue playing, it certainly won't be on the same rate as before.

Its all in the head really and you do wonder if he falls out of the Scotland squad now, which in all honesty he should, what is his motivation for carrying on?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:27 am

RDW wrote:Fair play to Rennie for sticking with Glasgow until the end of the season - I'm sure there would have been a lot of pressure from his new employers to come out earlier. Shows the kind of man he is.

Good men don't necissarily make good international head coaches however, and he's got a real basket case on his hands with Australia. Wish him all the best.

I suspect the comments about Wilson being moved out of the Scotland post are fair - things haven't really worked in our pack with him in charge. It's not exactly a ringing endoresment for Glasgow if he's been deemed not good enough for Scotland so shifted to Glasgow...

On that point I saw a hilarious interaction on the Scottrish rugby fans Facebook group which pretty much sums up what that place is like:

Angry weegie - "surely with the £35m investment Glasgow can get a more high profile coach, this is ridiculous from the SRU"

Sensible poster - "So which high profile coach would you like?"

Angry weegie - "um, I don't know"

Sensible poster - "........"

He then went on to say Glasgow should get another Rodger Cockerill as he seems to be doing alright.

(I may have deliberately altered that last bit for absolutely no comedic effect)
Whistle fixed that for you. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:29 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW wrote:Fair play to Rennie for sticking with Glasgow until the end of the season - I'm sure there would have been a lot of pressure from his new employers to come out earlier. Shows the kind of man he is.

Good men don't necissarily make good international head coaches however, and he's got a real basket case on his hands with Australia. Wish him all the best.

I suspect the comments about Wilson being moved out of the Scotland post are fair - things haven't really worked in our pack with him in charge. It's not exactly a ringing endoresment for Glasgow if he's been deemed not good enough for Scotland so shifted to Glasgow...

On that point I saw a hilarious interaction on the Scottrish rugby fans Facebook group which pretty much sums up what that place is like:

Angry weegie - "surely with the £35m investment Glasgow can get a more high profile coach, this is ridiculous from the SRU"

Sensible poster - "So which high profile coach would you like?"

Angry weegie - "um, I don't know"

Sensible poster - "........"

He then went on to say Glasgow should get another Rodger Cockerill as he seems to be doing alright.

(I may have deliberately altered that last bit for absolutely no comedic effect)
Whistle fixed that for you. Whistle

Laugh

Fair.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 20 Nov 2019, 11:05 am

Hold on. GC is strutting about Stockbridge and is a lawyer yet he's not automatically become an Edinburgh fan!

Surely this is against the rules of 606v2???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 20 Nov 2019, 11:43 am

Wilson is a good coach, easy to see that now as Cardiff have gone backwards since he departed. I think Wilson seen the writing on the wall when he said he couldn't work with the budget, and he was right. Glasgow have a better squad and perhaps have the budget so I think he'll do okay there. He would have been a welcome addition to any team back in Wales.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 20 Nov 2019, 11:54 am

Wilson did well with Cardiff in the end. I remember Cardiff being poor under him to begin with and it took time. Hard to know how much of that is due to the quality of players he had. Certainly Glasgow's squad is a step above what he had available at Cardiff.

I am not sure Wilson fits the mold of Glasgow though and it is a shame this did not become available when McFarland was looking about. He has completely altered Ulster.

Speaking of high profile coaches available, Vern Cotter is no longer coaching Montpellier. He would have been an excellent hire for the SRU if the relationship is not completely rubbished. Cotter may struggle to find a higher profile club, though the SRU would have to bend over backwards.

As for defence coach, maybe they are thinking Roddy Grant needs a promotion depending on how highly Cockerill rates him

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 11:57 am

Roddy Grant is no longer an SRU employee - he works for Ulster!

He's also an assistant forwards coach, not a defence coach.

McCrae is probably next cab off the rank - he's done a good job at Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 20 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm

Cardiff always seem to struggle in the league, that was no different under Wilson. They did win the challenge cup however. They also notched up some good head-to-head wins over big opposition during his time there; Munster, Lyon, Toulouse, etc.

Cotter not at Montpellier? That's news to me. He would be a good coup for any club.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 12:27 pm

Cotter still is at Montpellier, just director of rugby now, not the head coach. He will likely be off at the end of the season

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 1:38 pm

Colin Gregor not holding back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50488965

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Nov 2019, 1:51 pm

RDW wrote:
George Carlin wrote:In two minds about Rennie. He's a great guy, no doubt about it. The fact that he never took the Warriors back to the promised land is down to a number of factors, some of which really have to be attributable to him. I think that he fell in love with coaching a talented Glasgow backline to attack in the same way as his Chiefs did and completely forgot about the fact that you need a decent tight five to actually get the ball in the first place.

He certainly got the Wallabies on the basis of his Super Rugby reputation and not his accomplishents in the past 3 years. Fair dos to the guy though - back to back championships is quite an achievement. Good luck to him. No strong feelings on a replacement. Doesn't need to be a marquee name but I hope that Bomrys has actually looked around rather than just blindly backfilling with internal staff.

Speaking of the promised land, I am back in Scotland for a bit as I have 6 weeks off before starting a new job in January (global general counsel for an international company, scary as sh!t) and so am staying at the Raeburn in Stockbridge just to see what it's like to have a bit of quality in my life. I will obviously walk in wearing my Warriors fleece and ask if I can have a Tennants Super with my squash risotto.

Ah, well there are always bigger dogs - FES and Bru to name but two.

I am already the GC for an international company and have been for 4 years but only for the Middle East region (a piddling 5 jurisdictions). The new job is a bigger beastie altogether as I'll be flying to the US more to work out what the fork they are all playing at over there. Unfortunately my experience makes me no less of an Ayrshire, weegie-apologist gobsh!te as you'll probably have noticed by now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm

RDW wrote:Colin Gregor not holding back

That's not very clever from Budgie - the whole gist of his complaint seems to be that Wilson isn't Scottish which is a pretty ugly statement.

Sport's a meritocracy, or it should be. The likes of Chalmers have shown nothing special yet from what I know of his time with clubs.

Wilson was well liked and rated at the Blues and before that, at the Scarlets. Let's give him a chance. As has been pointed out by the Great and Powerful Jimbo, a marquee name for the sake of it is pointless. They wouldn't have appointed Wilson if the changing room didn't respect him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 1:57 pm

Not sure I completely agree with that as I am not convinced that any of the Scottish coaches he mentions are really ready to step up to being a head coach just yet.

Blair I would like to see spend a few seasons as an out and out attack coach, he was mainly doing skills and flitting between Glasgow and Scotland before.

Taylor has been in the setup to long now and probably needs to move on.

Dalziel, again, is still relatively inexpereinced and his time will likely come.

Wilson might not be the top of everyones list, but he does have the CV for the job

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 1:58 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW wrote:

I am already the GC for an international company and have been for 4 years but only for the Middle East region (a piddling 5 jurisdictions). The new job is a bigger beastie altogether as I'll be flying to the US more to work out what the fork they are all playing at over there. Unfortunately my experience makes me no less of an Ayrshire, weegie-apologist gobsh!te as you'll probably have noticed by now.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 8 Tenor

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 20 Nov 2019, 2:20 pm

BigGee wrote:

Not sure I completely agree with that as I am not convinced that any of the Scottish coaches he mentions are really ready to step up to being a head coach just yet.

Blair I would like to see spend a few seasons as an out and out attack coach, he was mainly doing skills and flitting between Glasgow and Scotland before.

Taylor has been in the setup to long now and probably needs to move on.

Dalziel, again, is still relatively inexpereinced and his time will likely come.

Wilson might not be the top of everyones list, but he does have the CV for the job

Yeah it's a nothing article really, I think most fans have no qualms with Wilson taking over. I thought Taylor or O'Halloran would have been first choice but we don't know their individual circumstances. Taylor may want to remain in international rugby and O'halloran may want to move somewhere else at the end of his contract.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 3:16 pm

Crickey, the Glasgow Warriors forum, always a place of rational debate and fair thinking, has gone into near melt down on the subject of Danny Wilson's appointment.

Whenever anyone feels feed up about how things are on this forum, go over there for a read and it will cheer you up no end!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 3:21 pm

Gives them something else to talk about other than why Al Kellock and Max Evans aren't getting picked anymore.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 3:36 pm

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 20 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm

RDW wrote:Roddy Grant is no longer an SRU employee - he works for Ulster!

He's also an assistant forwards coach, not a defence coach.

McCrae is probably next cab off the rank - he's done a good job at Edinburgh.

Again, if Roddy Grant is seen as an up and comer and rated highly enough by Cockerill/McFarland, would he turn down a Scotland coaching role to stay with Ulster?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 20 Nov 2019, 3:53 pm

Do you think you could get reasonable, good natured debate about indyref2 on the glasgow warriors forum?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Nov 2019, 4:38 pm

No, in a word

You don't really get good debate about anything there, they are never happy!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Nov 2019, 7:04 pm

Nick Haining gets 2 weeks which is basically the lowest punishment you can get at these citings - mustn't have been much of a headbutt!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Nov 2019, 7:11 pm

Did he take really posh biscuits to the hearing?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Nov 2019, 7:15 pm

Yeah, those chocolate coated wheels from m&s. Took at least 4 weeks off.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Nov 2019, 8:11 pm

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Nov 2019, 12:01 am

I see Glasgow fans are in full on rage mode with this appointment.

Apparently there are suggestions of SRU favouritism towards Edinburgh and that the SRU are deliberately trying to ruin Glasgow so Edinburgh can be the undisputed best team in Scotland
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 21 Nov 2019, 4:56 am

RDW wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
RDW wrote:

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 8 Tenor
Laugh You asked the question, Flounder.

Or are you amazed that a weegie has a job? Have to support the fried chocolate and Buckie habit somehow.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Nov 2019, 7:00 am

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/former-scotland-captain-faces-his-biggest-challenge

This is gutting news

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Nov 2019, 9:22 am

RDW wrote:https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/former-scotland-captain-faces-his-biggest-challenge

This is gutting news

aye, puts all the irrelevant pish we moan about on here into perspective!

He speaks about putting up a fight for the sake of his children. Get well soon Tom
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 21 Nov 2019, 11:35 am

Yes, the BBC has an interview with him.

Horrendous - he’s only 6 years older than me.

God be with him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 21 Nov 2019, 12:25 pm

Such awful news Crying or Very sad

On the topic of irrelevant pish we talk about, apparently we don't just need a 3rd pro team, we now need 4 of them: https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/2019/11/can-scottish-rugby-afford-a-new-pro-team/

Give that money tree a good ol' shake SRU. I haven't actually bothered reading the article fully yet, but I'd imagine their 'costings' are somewhat optimistic

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Nov 2019, 12:59 pm

Edinburgh team out for the Bordeaux game this Friday, they have indeed gone full metal jacket and are looking for the win, which would put them in with a very good shout at qualification.

Probably the selection of note is Crosbie over Barclay, which is fair enough but confirms that Cockers has also noted that one of them is on the rise and the other on the wain. It will be good for Crosbie to continue to play in these big games and push on towards Scotland selection.

In a less welcome selection, HP starts over Sheil, who is on the bench, but Mata is back at No.8 to give them some go forward.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm

Such sad news about Tom Smith. A proper legend of Scottish rugby.

There is a JustGiving page to support his family.

GC - PM me if you fancy a pint whilst you're over here. Sounds like it's your round....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:06 pm

RDW wrote:John Barclay has said he wanted to be a defence coach - that might come into the works in the next season or two.

I think Barclay has the makings of a decent coach. He's articulate and experienced, with a no nonsense manner. I agree that he's dropped off as a player, but handy for Edinburgh to have him for one more season, particularly as international duties should no longer be his burden to bear. He also covers across the back row.

Crosbie has been excellent this season, and Ritchie is the dogs. It's an area of proper depth for Edinburgh.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:36 pm

Bitter stuff. He's advocating the sort of "next cab off the rank" sort of structure that belongs to the amateur era. I'm not thrilled with the appointment, but he hasn't named anyone with a more pressing claim.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:37 pm

BigGee wrote:Edinburgh team out for the Bordeaux game this Friday, they have indeed gone full metal jacket and are looking for the win, which would put them in with a very good shout at qualification.

Probably the selection of note is Crosbie over Barclay, which is fair enough but confirms that Cockers has also noted that one of them is on the rise and the other on the wain. It will be good for Crosbie to continue to play in these big games and push on towards Scotland selection.

In a less welcome selection, HP starts over Sheil, who is on the bench, but Mata is back at No.8 to give them some go forward.
He's gone as I thought then, which I'm pleased with.

to be fair JB isn't really a 7 anymore so it's not a massive surprise Crosbie starts.

Edinburgh welcome back eight internationalists to their starting XV for tomorrow night’s Challenge Cup clash with Bordeaux-Begles at BT Murrayfield (Friday 22 November, kick-off 7.35pm).
With 13 changes to the side that claimed a bonus-point away win against Agen in round one last weekend, Scotland stars Blair Kinghorn, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Henry Pyrgos, Ben Toolis and Magnus Bradbury all return to the starting line-up.
As Edinburgh look to maintain their 100 per cent home record this current campaign, the team selection also sees Fijian international Viliame Mata make his first start of the season, while Duhan van der Merwe, Jaco van der Walt, Pierre Schoeman, Mike Willemse, Pietro Ceccarelli and Luke Crosbie are all named to face the Top 14 club.

Ahead of the match, Head Coach Richard Cockerill, said: “We enjoyed a good win in Agen last weekend and we want to keep the momentum going against Bordeaux this Friday night.
“We’ve made a number of changes to the starting line-up – bringing back plenty of experience across the board – and I expect us to perform on the night. We’re back at BT Murrayfield in front of our own supporters and we always want to do well at home.
“We know how difficult a test we face tomorrow night. Bordeaux are second in the Top 14 for a reason and have players throughout their squad that can cause damage on any stage.
“However, we’ve had a really good training week and the boys are looking forward to the challenge.”
Scotland star Kinghorn returns at fullback, with wingers Van der Merwe – who has four tries in his last two matches – and Eroni Sau named on opposite flanks.
Centres Scott and Bennett once again link-up in midfield, as a revamped half-back pairing sees Henry Pyrgos – who skippers the side – and Jaco van der Walt named at scrum-half and stand-off respectively.
Hooker Mike Willemse packs down alongside Pierre Schoeman and Italian international Pietro Ceccarelli in an all-new front-row, with club centurions Ben Toolis and Grant Gilchrist both named at lock.
Edinburgh rotate their back-row combination as Mata, Crosbie and Bradbury all get the nod for only the capital side's third ever meeting with Bordeaux-Begles.

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Bordeaux-Begles at BT Murrayfield in the Challenge Cup

Friday 22 November, kick-off 7.35pm

15. Blair Kinghorn (80)

14. Eroni Sau (4)

13. Mark Bennett (26)

12. Matt Scott (87)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (46)

10. Jaco van der Walt (44)

9. Henry Pyrgos (27) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (29)

2. Mike Willemse (6)

3. Pietro Ceccarelli (16)

4. Ben Toolis (111)

5. Grant Gilchrist (139)

6. Magnus Bradbury (68)

7. Luke Crosbie (32)

8. Viliame Mata (61)

Replacements: 16. Cameron Fenton (17) 17. Jamie Bhatti (6) 18. Simon Berghan (69) 19. Murray Douglas (5) 20. John Barclay (7) 21. Charlie Shiel (12) 22. Simon Hickey (24) 23. George Taylor (11)

Unavailable: Darryl Marfo, Dave Cherry, Jamie Ritchie, Ruan Steenkamp, Hamish Watson, Darcy Graham, Jack Stanley, Nic Groom, Damien Hoyland, Rory Darge, WP Nel, Fraser McKenzie, Chris Dean

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:44 pm

Edinburgh are a Henry Pygos away from being a very handy team.

Oh why cant we have wee George?

JB on the bench makes sense. He covers the whole backrow. If big Bill goes off, Maggie will likely slot into 8, but JB still covers the whole backrow.

Edinburgh options at 7 - The Mish, Ritchie, Crosbie, Barclay.

Meanwhile glasgow have Fusaro and Wilson. laughing

Jesus wept
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:47 pm

Crosbie is in on merit. I've been really impressed with him.

Good team, and strong bench options. Shiel and Taylor provide real impact off the bench. I just hope Pyrgos doesn't play in slow mode. That backline can play if given quick ball.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 21 Nov 2019, 2:48 pm

tigertattie wrote:Edinburgh are a Henry Pygos away from being a very handy team.

Oh why cant we have wee George?

JB on the bench makes sense. He covers the whole backrow. If big Bill goes off, Maggie will likely slot into 8, but JB still covers the whole backrow.

Edinburgh options at 7 - The Mish, Ritchie, Crosbie, Barclay.

Meanwhile glasgow have Fusaro and Wilson. laughing

Jesus wept

Did you just suggest Wilson as an option at 7????

You forget Tom Gordon. He was World Class last season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 21 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ratu-tagive-glasgow-warriors

Quite a back story for Tagive, I did not know any of that and it does him great credit. Hopefully he can push on and fulfil his potential for us.

SQ now and we are not exactly overflowing with good wing options for the future, with a few of the incumbents beginning to knock on a bit, so who knows where he may go on to, Rennie certainly seems to rate him now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next