The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 22 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 22 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Cameron Henderson, U20s lock who had a very good tournament goes to Leicester.

Might not be a bad move with the current log jam of decent locks in the oro teams and good youngsters tryonv to come through.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 22 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by 123456789. Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:58 am

Turns out he is English qualified, so it's not as straightforward as it seems. Although we have moved on from the point now whereby we have selections by default. Henderson seemed a good player but he'll have to get past the Grays, Cummings, Gilchrist and Toolis in the next two or three seasons to make it as an international for Scotland. On the other hand England is something of a walk in the park with just Itoje, Lawes, Launchbury, Ewels, Isiekwe to get past...

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Chenltellmen, Hug

a friend of mine attempted to bring some light relief to the lockdown by putting a post o facebook asking ex-team mates what they thought the first time they saw him on a rugby field. By and large the responses were positive and humourous. Then again he is the first team tight head!
I thought I'd try. picard

Someone posted this vile calumny;
there’s nothing funnier than watching you dish out a bit of afters to an opponent

Lies, all lies.
It was never intended to be funny.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Edinburgh due to sign Jono Lance from Worcester, likely to replace Hickey. He's a decent player but no better than Hickey, so unless he's much cheaper I'm not sure why they're wanting rid of Hickey as has been reported. I suspect he's on a lot of money though.

Quite ironic we got rid of chunky Weir and we're now looking to sign his understudy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Hickey was signed on top dollar and has not been great value for money.

I imagine he has had a better offer than what Edinburgh have given him, maybe back in France.

If VDW comes into the Scotland squad, which is wuite possible, still leaves Edinburgh a bit light on FHs

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:21 pm

I thought VDW could not qualify for us?

Lance was decent for Western Force and is a competent operator. He won't win you many games and probably won't cost you many either. Can't imagine he cost much. Really hope there is some succession planning coming into Edinburgh with Baggott or another young fly-half being given opportunities.

I am not sure anyone should depart with big money for Hickey at this point, even excluding the Covid-19 situation. He has been okay for Edinburgh, but nothing special. Could be a Piers Francis or Duncan Weir situation where he needs a different environment to find his feet.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Isn’t it VDM who possibly couldn’t qualify, not VDW?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Confusing with all these Vans i agree!

Definitely VDW who can become SQ, he came in just prior to the 5 year rule and will qualify this autumn but after the internationals i think

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:24 pm

So with VDW, how many South Africans might be lining up for Scotland? It seems like you might be catching up France! Smile

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:11 pm

Both VDW (10) and VDM (winger) will qualify on residency - the latter in July and the former in November.

To be fair Nel is the only saffer who qualified on residency currently in the squad and he's likely to retire from international rugby soon, if not already. CDP was in the extended squad but he's probably quite far off selection going forwards other than through injuries.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:00 am

VDW is on current reckoning, going to be 3rd or 4th choice FH as well so may or may not actually get capped, depending on other factors.

Keeble will likely come into the picture as well later in the autumn and is a lot more likely to actually make the matchday squad. We may see him in the 6N next year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:10 am

The jury is out for me on Kebble - looks to be international class on his day but can barely string a run of good games together. Mainly because he gets injured! He looks like he could maybe doing with dropping a bit of weight - similar to what Berghan did several years ago when he was struggling for regular fitness.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am

RDW wrote:The jury is out for me on Kebble - looks to be international class on his day but can barely string a run of good games together. Mainly because he gets injured! He looks like he could maybe doing with dropping a bit of weight - similar to what Berghan did several years ago when he was struggling for regular fitness.

Keeble can be a very destructive player when he is on form and fit. Both in the scrum and the loose.

You are right though that he is a very big guy and certainly is not an 80 minute player. Fortunately with the form that Sutherland has shown recently, he may well be best used as a bench option for a 20 minute blast at the end of a game. I think he is a much better option than Dell is in that regard. He can also play both sides of the scrum and that is a useful tool to have in the armoury.

Hard to see him n ot getting capped really, we are still pretty light at TH, though some decent youngsters are in the pipeline.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-unimaginable-personal-tragedy-that-nearly-ended-the-fledgling-career-of-jordan-venter

Crickey, this kid that Edinburgh have signed for next season has some back story.

Good luck to him with his rugby career or whatever else he does with his life if rugby does not work out.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:41 pm

BigGee wrote:VDW is  on current reckoning, going to be 3rd or 4th choice FH as well  so may or may not actually get capped, depending on other factors.

Keeble will likely come into the picture as well later in the autumn and is a lot more likely to actually make the matchday squad. We may see him in the 6N next year.

Who was the capped Glasgow flanker that went back to SA after a stint I think in France? Kebble looks good but is injured too much. I thought Scotland were also keen on the Edinburgh LH? And their Saffa No.8 was already capped? Cockerill played a blinder by signing all them.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:52 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
BigGee wrote:VDW is  on current reckoning, going to be 3rd or 4th choice FH as well  so may or may not actually get capped, depending on other factors.

Who was the capped Glasgow flanker that went back to SA after a stint I think in France? Kebble looks good but is injured too much. I thought Scotland were also keen on the Edinburgh LH? And their Saffa No.8 was already capped? Cockerill played a blinder by signing all them.

Josh Strauss - a Glasgow legend, but never really quite lit it up at international level. It really is hard to tell who can make the step up, Strauss was massively destructive at club level but just lacked the work rate to be truly good at international level.

The Edinburgh LH is Schoeman, who has international prop written all over him, nothing wrong with his work rate! He is on the 5 year qualification program though, so won't be seeing him for a while.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Yeah that was it, Strauss. Yes Schoeman is the LH I was thinking of, good player, guess he's caught out by the 5 year rule now though and it might be too late then!

Cornell Du Preez was the 8 I was talking about, but I don't think he plays for Edinburgh any more.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:55 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah that was it, Strauss. Yes Schoeman is the LH I was thinking of, good player, guess he's caught out by the 5 year rule now though and it might be too late then!

Cornell Du Preez was the 8 I was talking about, but I don't think he plays for Edinburgh any more.

Cornell is at Worcester now and refinding some good form after the horrible throat injury. He was brilliant for Edinburgh when he first signed. An absolute monster going forward. Then he got injured and put on a bit of weight he struggled to shift. Hence when he got some caps he was short of full fitness and didn't show that early Edinburgh form. It's great seeing him back on form with Worcester after a tough patch.

Duhan van der Merwe will presumably be the next kilted Saffa. He qualifies next summer just before the Scotland tour to, guess where, South Africa. I'm interested to see if he transfers his form to international rugby. He has all the attributes given his pace and power.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:14 am

king_carlos wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah that was it, Strauss. Yes Schoeman is the LH I was thinking of, good player, guess he's caught out by the 5 year rule now though and it might be too late then!

Cornell is at Worcester now and refinding some good form after the horrible throat injury. He was brilliant for Edinburgh when he first signed. An absolute monster going forward. Then he got injured and put on a bit of weight he struggled to shift. Hence when he got some caps he was short of full fitness and didn't show that early Edinburgh form. It's great seeing him back on form with Worcester after a tough patch.

Duhan van der Merwe will presumably be the next kilted Saffa. He qualifies next summer just before the Scotland tour to, guess where, South Africa. I'm interested to see if he transfers his form to international rugby. He has all the attributes given his pace and power.

Pretty confident this isn't going to happen anymore, or at least not in the summer!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 am

BigGee wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-unimaginable-personal-tragedy-that-nearly-ended-the-fledgling-career-of-jordan-venter

Crickey, this kid that Edinburgh have signed for next season has some back story.

Good luck to him with his rugby career or whatever else he does with his life if rugby does not work out.

Woah that's a hell of a read - what a traumatic experience.

From a purely rugby point of view, hopefully his body is up to the rigors of pro rugby given his accident. I'm also wary of someone hitting weights so hard so early in life - there's been plenty examples over the years of people's careers being cut short due to damage done when a body is still growing.

The reaction to him signing was way OTT and actually quite embarrassing from some people online. Looks like he's taken that all in his stride which is good.

He certainly seems a very intense and motivated character - good luck to him. I'm sure he'll have a year or two of Super 6 before he's even close to the Edinburgh squad. He'll certainly have a target on his back!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:11 am

https://www.606v2.com/t69555-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-24-covid-funtimes#3900858

This thread's about to reach its limits so I've set up a new one. Plenty effort gone into it as you will immediately see!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22