The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland V Russia...

+20
bsando
TJ
NeilyBroon
LondonTiger
TightHEAD
No9
LordDowlais
Pal Joey
maestegmafia
TheMildlyFranticLlama
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
RDW
EST
EWT Spoons
BigGee
Poorfour
reallybored
Mad for Chelsea
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland V Russia... - Page 3 Empty Scotland V Russia...

Post by jimbopip Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Russia (Shizuoka), ... Welcome to Stalingrad...or Bannockburn.

Well gentlemen, we seem to be spending a lot of time fretting about whether we shall need to pick up four points or five in our final group game while blithely assuming that the five are already in the bag from this fixture. warning

Russia didn't look too shabby in the opening match against Japan: losing 30-10 but if the referee had spotted a blatant body check on the Russian 9 the hosts could have been reduced to 14 and things might have been "interesting".

In their second match they looked at least as good as Fiji for a large part of the game before tiring badly in the latter part of the game; but a three day turn around will do that to a team. chin
Again, the Russian can rightly feel aggrieved that the officials somehow contrived not to show any red cards. The Fijians should have been reduced to 13 men after two "tackles" which would be frowned upon in even the rowdiest Glasgow kebab shops.

Three day turnaround, Stevie Wonder refereeing, playing the hosts in the opening game.... rumour has it the team song is to be changed to the blues classic "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all".

Russia play Ireland tomorrow and then Scotland six days later. The Irish have made eleven changes from the defeat to Japan and will be hoping for five points before their final match against Samoa.

If Russia lose to Ireland they will have to mount the biggest comeback since Lazarus, or Scotland's second half at Twickenham, after three defeats if they hope to have any chance of winning.

So....an easy five points for Scotland? chin

I think the biggest obstacle for Scotland is the four day turnaround for the decider against Japan. Barring Ireland losing one of their remaining matches the loser of Japan v Scotland is going home. So Toonie will have to rest several first choice players and play a number who haven't featured yet.

Front Row

Taking only five props could come back to haunt Toonie here. Dell went off early against Samoa and Shrek played an hour in a sauna, he probably lost Bru's body weight in sweat. If Dell is not fit then Berghan needs to start at LH and Shrek is on the bench. This means that Ragnar and Nel will share TH duties. Not ideal in terms of resting our starting props before the big game.

Second Row

Toolis hasn't been in a match day 23 yet. Will he be ready to start? Presumably he'll partner Cummings with JG benching.

Back Row

Ideally we would rest Mbawsa-Replicant-Bradbury but that only leaves two to play ; Batman and Barcs. So do we have Turner hooking and Brown at 7? The nightmare scenario would see both of them injured. Just in passing...if that happened could we fly a hooker out in time for the next game? The jet lag would surely prevent him from playing?

Half backs

Frodo and Dancer must sit this one out. So Henners and Haircut to start? Wee George to bench.

Centres

Sam Johnson will be rested. Furra Linee at 12. Taylor at 13. He needs to play as he's still not up to full match fitness. Harris to bench BUT if Furra replaces haircut at 10 and Harris comes on then Taylor must play the full 80. Is he fit enough to be available against Japan four days later?

Back Three

Maitland and Hogg must be rested. So Blarehorn, Seymour and Graham. one of whom must then start against Japan.

So
1. Dell               Shrek
2. Turner           Rambo
3. Berghan        Ragnar
4. Toolis            JG
5. Cummings
6. Batman
7. Brown
8. Barcs            The slightly piqued B's Bradbury to bench

9. Henners        Wee George
10.Haircut        
11. Graham      Maitland
12. Furra Linee
13. Taylor         Harris
14, Seymour
15. King Blarehorn

It's a team that have never played together, with a few who haven't played in weeks. What could go wrong?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Scotland V Russia... - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland V Russia...

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am

Nel on the hoof. Saw he had 30m to run so said "nahhhhhh" and passed it to Piecrust.

Wee George is running riot. Finally showing what he can do (yes it is against a tired Russian outfit). Greig would never have scored that first try though.

Horne needs to be playing regular rugby. Wasted behind Ali Price who is still knickers. Horne to Edinburgh!!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 am

Can we please get Bradbury off.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 am

RDW wrote:Horne showing he's not a winger - could have held back a little bit. terrible performance from him...!

I don't know, it looked like a poor pass from Bradbury to me

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 am

BigGee wrote:
RDW wrote:Horne showing he's not a winger - could have held back a little bit. terrible performance from him...!

I don't know, it looked like a poor pass from Bradbury to me

I think it was flat, the ball carried forward through momentum, but I don't actually think he passed it forwards.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 am

Russia really are not good  Sad

We knew that coming into the tournament, but while being decent athletes they seem to be lacking much rugby nous. If it were not for a variety of man sausage ups, Scotland would be looking at the biggest win of the tournament.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 am

EWT Spoons wrote:I don't think that's a right call.  Ball carried forward, but wasn't passed forward
No, only the All Blacks are allowed that excuse..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 am

Right... I'd better do some work before I turn my phone off for the Wales game... 

Well done Scotland, Russia have been extremely poor, but you can only play what's in front of you and you have done what you needed to make sure it goes to the wire against Japan.

thumbsup

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

LondonTiger wrote:Russia really are not good  Sad

We knew that coming into the tournament, but while being decent athletes they seem to be lacking much rugby nous. If it were not for a variety of man sausage ups, Scotland would be looking at the biggest win of the tournament.

They've actually been ok this tournament considering they got in due to spain, belgium and romania defaulting out the tournament!

They only lost 30-10 (?) against japan, the hosts, and 35-0 to Ireland (4th in the rankings) and it took ages for samoa to wear them down.

Good physical side, smart kicker at 10, they've not exactly been mugs and at no point has it looked dangerous for them to be playing. I think Canada and Namibia have been a lot worse

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am

Taylor's passing has been pretty loose since he's comeback - several times now since the warmup games that he's shovelled sh!t

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 am

Barclay runs an easy one in, not sure he even did a dummy there!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 am

Lovely pop pass from Berghan to Barclay to set it up though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 am

That winger was not interested int he tackle at all

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am

And another one, coast to coast. McInally this time

Russia just dead on their feet now

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am

Best try of the night!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am

The Russian defending is on the same level as a Sunday morning social rugby team.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am

We need to keep focus. Can’t go getting carried away.

Told you Russia weren’t a worry
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 am

Forward.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 am

Hastings picks up a hat trick as well to end it up

68-0 Scotland

Or maybe not, looked forward

Oh well, have to settle for 61-0

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 am

Glad that one was chalked off, should have took a quick Drop goal though.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:03 am

Can't complain about that! Huge win, no apparent injuries and good squad rotation.

I'm surprised Bradbury played so long though - Ritchie didn't come off the bench. Given that Bradbury is a starter and Brown is on the bench why give Brown 30 and Bradbury 50? Can only think he took a knock.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am

ahhh but he passed backwards and seymour was still in front of hastings when hastings caught it - the physics of momentum carried it forward despite the ball being passed backwards

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am

Well done Scotland clap

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am

Tramptastic wrote:ahhh but he passed backwards and seymour was still in front of hastings when hastings caught it - the physics of momentum carried it forward despite the ball being passed backwards

Rubbish, it was forward
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am

Tramptastic wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Russia really are not good  Sad

They've actually been ok this tournament considering they got in due to spain, belgium and romania defaulting out the tournament!

They only lost 30-10 (?) against japan, the hosts, and 35-0 to Ireland (4th in the rankings) and it took ages for samoa to wear them down.

Good physical side, smart kicker at 10, they've not exactly been mugs and at no point has it looked dangerous for them to be playing. I think Canada and Namibia have been a lot worse

They are physical and they have worked on their defence, but there ability in possession is shocking. Canada have been poor, Namibia for me are better than Russia by a huge margin - Russia in that group would have conceded 100 points. You cannot fault Russia's effort - but I stand by my assertion that they are no good (or indeed poor). It is still the issue for Rugby that there are not enough competitive teams.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:07 am

well that went pretty well! My pre match thoughts were far too cautious. Crazy second half and a shame two certain tries had slight forward passes in the buildup. It really is impressive when the forward platform is there for Scotland. Lovely to see Hastings and Horne play so well too, they're the future. And Pyrgos! Is that the same player who takes an age to do anything at Edinburgh?? He definitely looks better without the shackles attached.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am

Two nils on the bounce, well done Scotland. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:11 am

If we're being picky our support lines could be better - we lost a few tries from outside runners not being deep enough.

That's basic stuff that amateur rugby players even get trained to do! Basic 2 on 1s.

I am being very picky though! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

Mince from russia but very clinical from us. G Horne is really pushing Frodo now.

The real challenge starts sunday but we've definitely not harmed our chances, especially if it comes down to PD.

A commanding, disciplined win over Japan and a quarter final performance to be proud of would redeem the coaching team. It must be said though, excellent to nil two teams, even if they were mince.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

TightHEAD wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:ahhh but he passed backwards and seymour was still in front of hastings when hastings caught it - the physics of momentum carried it forward despite the ball being passed backwards

Rubbish, it was forward

It all comes down to vectors and momentum, if you are running with the ball the ball is travelling at the same speed as you same as if you are standing still holding the ball the ball matches your speed i.e. zero. If you are standing still and pass the ball backwards the only force being applied to the ball is the force you apply to pass the ball. However, if you are running and pass the ball backwards there are 2 forces being applied to the ball: A forwards momentum applied from the your run and a negative force applied from your backwards pass. If the laws are applied as you indicate then all passes applied whilst running have a forwards momentum should be illegal. Rugby becomes impossible if we play follow the laws like this.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

On second look in the analysis, the Bradbury to Horne pass that was called forward looks like it was a bit of a harsh call

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

RDW wrote:Can't complain about that! Huge win, no apparent injuries and good squad rotation.

I'm surprised Bradbury played so long though - Ritchie didn't come off the bench. Given that Bradbury is a starter and Brown is on the bench why give Brown 30 and Bradbury 50? Can only think he took a knock.

I thought this as well - I suppose Bradbury has played very little so they may have wanted to give him minutes, but it still seems a bit strange.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 am

BigGee wrote:On second look in the analysis, the Bradbury to Horne pass that was called forward looks like it was a bit of a harsh call

YES BigGee! Delighted we're on the same page

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:19 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
BigGee wrote:On second look in the analysis, the Bradbury to Horne pass that was called forward looks like it was a bit of a harsh call

YES BigGee!  Delighted we're on the same page

I thought it was harsh too.

Point is though it should have been an easy 2 on 1 that would be never in doubt - both Bradbury and Horne were at fault that it was doubtful. These fine margins could cost us in tight games!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am

For anyone who was wondering...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:24 am

RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Point is though it should have been an easy 2 on 1 that would be never in doubt - both Bradbury and Horne were at fault that it was doubtful. These fine margins could cost us in tight games!

Sorry RDW, delighted you're in this harsh boat as well

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am

RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Sorry but as a forward I need to defend Bradbury and blame the winger (Horne) in this situation.

The winger needs to hold his run as the ball carrier will pass the ball to the support runner. The pass went into Horne's breadbasket, what else was Bradbury to do? Pass it behind Horne and into touch?

If Bradbury had flung it forward in front of Horne who had to strech to get it then I'd blame Bradbury, but that want the case.

Horne had a great game but he should have held his run a bit more. He got over excited in that one.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am

As BOD said in post game analysis, the Russia tackler halted Bradbury and that made the pass look forward when in fact it was not.

The last one was forwards though.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 am

Not a terrible morning to be sure.

So a 3-0 win on Sunday would be enough then, Flounder? However, as we all know Japan are better at going forward than defending. If we counterpunch the way we did today we can score a few against them.

Russia's big strength was supposed to be in the pack, especially in the set piece: we totally dismantled them there. thumbsup

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 am

tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Sorry but as a forward I need to defend Bradbury and blame the winger (Horne) in this situation.

The winger needs to hold his run as the ball carrier will pass the ball to the support runner. The pass went into Horne's breadbasket, what else was Bradbury to do? Pass it behind Horne and into touch?

If Bradbury had flung it forward in front of Horne who had to strech to get it then I'd blame Bradbury, but that want the case.

Horne had a great game but he should have held his run a bit more. He got over excited in that one.

I know what you're saying, but Bradbury could also have passed slightly earlier! I would agree that the blame is more on Horne's side for not holding his depth. As you say just over eagerness.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 am

jimbopip wrote:Not a terrible morning to be sure.

So a 3-0 win on Sunday would be enough then, Flounder? However, as we all know Japan are better at going forward than defending. If we counterpunch the way we did today we can score a few against them.

Russia's big strength was supposed to be in the pack, especially in the set piece: we totally dismantled them there. thumbsup

Don't think so - if they get a BP we need one too?

Unless you're on the wind up in which case raspberry

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:30 am

Anyone else spot the fear in Nels eyes as he broke clear? funny as heck
" help me - I can't run that far! Its against the props union rules!"

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 am

Bradbury to Horne right call his hands go forward just.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:33 am

TJ wrote:Anyone else spot the fear in Nels eyes as he broke clear?    funny as heck
" help me - I can't run that far!  Its against the props union rules!"

Loved his pass, nice floaty one, not taking any risks haha

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 am

really happy with that win, Horne the younger playing very well, we now know we can chuck Hastings at these lower ranked teams and feel confident he wont let us down - time for him to kick on against Tier 1 teams though!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:09 am

RDW wrote:

Seriously Flounder, a 3-0 win would see us through. We just need to collect four more points than them. But as I said earlier I think it will be a high scoring game.Our set piece was solid again today and I think our pack is better than theirs.

Would I ever wind you up, darling boy?
Would anyone?

P.S. How did Furra Linee play today?

Last edited by jimbopip on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 am

meanwhile in Ōita....................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW wrote:

Seriously Flounder, a 3-0 win would see us through. We just need to collect four more points than them. But as I said earlier I think it will be a high scoring game.Our set piece was solid again today and I think our pack is better than theirs.

Would anyone?

Yes you would!

To sum up

Scotland win vs japan with no team getting any BP means Scotland go through on Points difference/head to head (depdns on the Ireland result but either way we go through)
Scotland win with a BP and japan get a BP then Scotland go through
Scotland win with no BP and Japan get a BP (for example if Scotland win 3 - 0 Jimbo) then JAPAN GO THROUGH

We need to win by more than 7 points. We also can't let them get a TBP or we'll also need a TBP. So they could score 4 tries and miss all kicks to give them 20 and we score three tries and convert them all plus a three penalties to gice us 30, we win 30 to 20 but they get a TBP and we dont, JAPAN GO THROUGH.

This is why the try Japan got at the end vs samoa was so important for them and potentially damaging to us.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am

We all know that Flounder, but it's good to have it explained in such eloquent terms.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:48 am

It's going to come down to the mental strength of each team and how they set out to play.

We're at risk of "chasing the game" by trying to win by 8 points or more or scoring 4 tries rather than focussing on winning the game first.

Are Japan at risk of going out there and trying not to lose by more than 7 points?

The head shrinking folk may be earning thier wages over the next 4 days!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW wrote:

Would anyone?

P.S. How did Furra Linee play today?

No it won't as Japan would get a losing BP!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next