The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan V Scotland (if it's on)

+52
westisbest
No9
lostinwales
Geordie
LondonTiger
sensisball
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
eirebilly
maestegmafia
Lagon
majesticimperialman
Rugby Fan
Duty281
EnglishReign
Mad for Chelsea
robbo277
highland_scot
TightHEAD
Tattie Scones RRN
Big
Gooseberry
Old Man
Cyril
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
cakeordeath
Pie
NeilyBroon
Taylorman
Pal Joey
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
Tramptastic
bsando
Soul Requiem
tigertattie
No 7&1/2
SecretFly
Collapse2005
rodders
alive555
BamBam
George Carlin
EST
Barney McGrew did it
BigGee
R!skysports
Poorfour
EWT Spoons
RDW
56 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Japan V Scotland (if it's on) - Page 2 Empty Japan V Scotland (if it's on)

Post by RDW Thu 10 Oct 2019, 8:39 am

First topic message reminder :

MATCH 40
SUNDAY 13 OCTOBER
KICK OFF (UK TIME)
11:45

SCOTLAND
WORLD RANKING 9TH

Referee: Ben O'Keeffe
International Stadium Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokohama City

(Or not at all)

Is this Schrodinger's game in that it can be considered both on and cancelled at the same time? I'm sure Jimbo will correct me in my interpretation....

Last edited by RDW on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Japan V Scotland (if it's on) - Page 2 Empty Re: Japan V Scotland (if it's on)

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:08 pm

So...Japan and Scotland. Anyone got any thoughts on the actual game?

The emotional toil it might have on both teams, particularly Japan, dealing with limited training time in the lead up, as well as the stress of not knowing what's going to happen?

The prospect of a wet and windy game and how that might affect the match?

Anything apart from a continuation of the other threads?

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:14 pm

For Japan once this light breeze blows over..

Dell
McInally
Nel
Gilchrist
Gray
Barclay
Ritchie
Thomson
Laidlaw
Russell
Maitland
Johnson
Harris
Graham
Hogg

Brown
Reid
Berghan
Toolis
Bradbury
G Horne
Hastings
Kinghorn

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

Scotland have half as long a turnaround as Japan for this game, could make a difference but hopefully not. I expect the game to go ahead and Scotland to do the biz.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:20 pm

I don't think there is much of a risk of it being wet and windy during the time the game is due to take place, as from what I understand the typhoon will have moved on by then, and from the sound of things, the day after a typhoon the weather is traditionally warm and sunny.

I think the biggest impact will be on the players not knowing if they are playing a game up until a few hours before, but I'd hope they are professional enough to prepare in the same way they would normally and be ready to go.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:22 pm

bsando wrote:For Japan once this light breeze blows over..

Dell
McInally
Nel
Gilchrist
Gray
Barclay
Ritchie
Thomson
Laidlaw
Russell
Maitland
Johnson
Harris
Graham
Hogg

Brown
Reid
Berghan
Toolis
Bradbury
G Horne
Hastings
Kinghorn

Swap Barclay and Bradbury.
Cummings in over Toolis (Cummings came off to rest, Toolis played the full 80 against Russia)

Other than that, I think this is the team we'll see.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:33 pm

Tough ask for Barclay. Did he play the full 80 v Russia?

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:36 pm

miaow wrote:Tough ask for Barclay. Did he play the full 80 v Russia?

He did. Can't see him playing, would be surprised if he's even on the bench to be honest, but if the bench option is him or Wilson, then Barclay every day.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:40 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
miaow wrote:Tough ask for Barclay. Did he play the full 80 v Russia?

He did.  Can't see him playing, would be surprised if he's even on the bench to be honest, but if the bench option is him or Wilson, then Barclay every day.

If the game is on then Barcs will be on the bench.

Backrow will be Bradders, Blade and Ritchie

Barcs is looking a bit slow but at least hes not Ryan Bloody Wilson!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:41 pm

Just going back to the financial loss of not playing EngvFrance - whats the insurance policy on this?

If the insurance is to include covering lost revenue (somebody said the match being worth £25m) is this claim invalided if the match were played behind closed doors?

So potentially World Rugby have assessed the situation and gone "well we could play the game, behind closed doors, to assure the integrity of the game BUT we don't get the 25m OR we carry on with the claim, cancel the match, sacrifice the integrity of the game and still make 25m", does this sound plausible? not being savvy on how the insurance works in these situations I'm sure the agreed policy will be more dense than the average car insurance policy BUT tinfoil hat on I think it sounds likely Wink

In all seriousness, WR are dependent on profits from the RWC to function over the next 4 years so given a massive loss or a good insurance claim I know which one the cynic in me thinks they'd go for!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:44 pm

Barcs is some solid experience to bring on at 60 minutes, usually wins a few turnovers and that could be crucial going in to the last 20 minutes

Horne the younger and Can Kick DAD deserve their place on the bench. Can Kick can also cover 15 so thats a useful bit of cover, with Horne the younger certainly having the pace to cover wing in a pinch

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:44 pm

Think the Scotland side is mostly picked.

Back up TH is a coin flip. I would prefer Fagerson as Japan are good not great scrummagers and we need more around the park but not overly fussed one way or another.

Second row I would start Cummings over Gilchrist but Toonie is unlikely to agree. Cummings will bench.

Back-row is Bradbury, Ritchie and Thomson. Barclay to bench I hope as a more natural seven than Wilson. Ritchie breaks his other cheek then Wilson goes to OS which is not inspiring.

Half backs as bsando picked. I would like to see G Horne given a go from the start and let Laidlaw come on with 20 minutes to go to close out the game. I doubt it will happen.

Centres are Johnson and probably Harris. I suspect Taylor will bench over Kinghorn as he can cover 12, 13 and 15 with Harris covering wing.

Back three as bsando picked.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:05 pm

Tom English saying it as it is as always

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50003523

This is the key paragraphs for me:

There is a gathering apoplexy here. Yes, it states in the tournament rules that if a pool game has to be cancelled then it cannot be rearranged for a different day. A different stadium, yes. A different day, no. Scottish Rugby don't believe that's hard and fast. In the participation agreement given to each country, it says there is a clause that effectively amounts to force majeure and that clause does allow some wiggle room in terms of pushing a game back a day.

It would be a surprise if Scottish Rugby wasn't in touch with its lawyers right now. It would be a surprise, too, if those lawyers weren't creating an almighty case against World Rugby abandoning all contingency plans and opting for the nuclear option of cancelling the game, declaring it a 0-0 draw and sending Scotland home.

Scotland's position is very clear on this. They're flexible. They'll play it on Sunday as planned in Yokohama or anywhere else of World Rugby's choosing. They'll play it on Monday if required. They'll play it with a crowd or behind closed doors, no matter. The tournament organisers says no to all alternative arrangements.

Amid all the uncertainty, Gregor Townsend spoke mid-afternoon in Hamamatsu. He said that as far as he's concerned the game is going ahead and he has to believe that it is. He's got a team to prepare and he can't allow vagueness to enter their thinking. He's planning on a Sunday game. Rugby hell will break loose if he doesn't get it.

This will get messy if the lawyers get involved after the event! I'm assuming teams get more prize money for making the knock out rounds?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:22 pm

As I said - admittedly when I thought no cancellations would occur - if they did cancel a game the legal vultures will hammer WR for all they're worth.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:34 pm

I think Barcs won't be on the bench for two reasons. Firstly he's far too old to play 80 minutes, travel to a new city and then recover in four days.
Secondly, GC will be our 23rd man and will be giving WR the full Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel treatment.

Remember, there ain't no sanity clause.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:34 pm

Unfortunate situation but I believe WR will have made the right decision to cancel if the predicted wind gusts of 300km/h eventuate.

Public safety is paramount - can't have people getting clocked by flying sporrans. Best to err on the side of caution... I'm sure we'd all agree.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:36 pm

RDW wrote:Tom English saying it as it is as always

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50003523

This is the key paragraphs for me:

There is a gathering apoplexy here. Yes, it states in the tournament rules that if a pool game has to be cancelled then it cannot be rearranged for a different day. A different stadium, yes. A different day, no. Scottish Rugby don't believe that's hard and fast. In the participation agreement given to each country, it says there is a clause that effectively amounts to force majeure and that clause does allow some wiggle room in terms of pushing a game back a day.

It would be a surprise if Scottish Rugby wasn't in touch with its lawyers right now. It would be a surprise, too, if those lawyers weren't creating an almighty case against World Rugby abandoning all contingency plans and opting for the nuclear option of cancelling the game, declaring it a 0-0 draw and sending Scotland home.

Scotland's position is very clear on this. They're flexible. They'll play it on Sunday as planned in Yokohama or anywhere else of World Rugby's choosing. They'll play it on Monday if required. They'll play it with a crowd or behind closed doors, no matter. The tournament organisers says no to all alternative arrangements.

Amid all the uncertainty, Gregor Townsend spoke mid-afternoon in Hamamatsu. He said that as far as he's concerned the game is going ahead and he has to believe that it is. He's got a team to prepare and he can't allow vagueness to enter their thinking. He's planning on a Sunday game. Rugby hell will break loose if he doesn't get it.

This will get messy if the lawyers get involved after the event! I'm assuming teams get more prize money for making the knock out rounds?

Yeah not good. In the middle of this there’s a typhoon approaching and generally typhoons = bad. At some point this has got to be ‘a game’. Could be though that nothing but a bit of wind and rain happens and I could have been played.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 10 Oct 2019, 5:47 pm

We seem to have bad luck when it comes to decisions made on and off the pitch but we never make it easy for ourselves. If we had got a losing bp vs ireland we'd be in the running regardless, if we had kept the lineout simple in 2015 we'd have made the semis.

It is farcical though, the pain continues as scotland look to make a mark.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Thu 10 Oct 2019, 6:00 pm

Optics all wrong....scots go home host qualify. These buffoons need to get this right on that issue alone.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 10 Oct 2019, 6:01 pm

To paraphrase The Simpsons in relation to WR

"We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas!"

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 10 Oct 2019, 6:19 pm

Pie wrote:Optics all wrong....scots go home host qualify. These buffoons need to get this right on that issue alone.

The optics of ‘sorry Italians you’re not important you’re off home but Japan you’re important so we’ll move your match’ aren’t any better.

They can’t move the Scotland Japan match having cancelled the others. The game either goes ahead as planned or it’s cancelled, end of.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Oct 2019, 8:40 pm

Yeah. They've kinda shot themselves in the foot, the organisers. There'll be war (hopefully just verbal) if one game gets rescheduled whilst other games got cancelled.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Oct 2019, 11:00 pm

miaow wrote:As I said - admittedly when I thought no cancellations would occur - if they did cancel a game the legal vultures will hammer WR for all they're worth.

Take it easy on us lawyers. We've got to eat....

This should come down to what is possible, rather than the rules, and if a force majeure provision gets us to the right answer then fine. Safety is obviously paramount, and if the game can be played safely then it should be. The integrity of the World Cup is at stake.

Still, there's always the all-conquering Edinburgh against the minnows of Leinster to look forward to....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 10 Oct 2019, 11:40 pm

Well at least glasgow and edinburgh can tear it up for a couple of weeks against the irish sides after sunday 😂

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 10 Oct 2019, 11:45 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Well at least glasgow and edinburgh can tear it up for a couple of weeks against the irish sides  after sunday 😂

You’re half right. Edinburgh could get onto a roll. Glasgow could only, well, maybe win a game ? ? ?

The return of Ryan Wilson, comical as he is, isn’t going to frighten any opponents
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 10 Oct 2019, 11:45 pm

Will Pro14 sides now complain that Scottish and Italian players return early to bolster their squads?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 10 Oct 2019, 11:52 pm

Hurricaine haggis and typhoon tiramasu are gonna hit the pro14 like a freight train.

Also you forget batmans superb leadership. He never runs too far over the gainline and ensures that all his team mates get the tries with a meagre penalty count of 1 for every 2 rucks. #hardestworkingwum

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Oct 2019, 7:40 am

Eddie Jones saying we've only got ourselves to blame that a typhoon has potentially ruined our chance to qualify.

What a douche.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Fri 11 Oct 2019, 7:47 am

What are the chances of Scotland vs Japan being cancelled though?

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:09 am

Old Man wrote:What are the chances of Scotland vs Japan being cancelled though?

The weather on the day is going to be fine - the issue is what path of destruction the typhoon leaves behind. Nobody can tell what will happen.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to major damage - for people's safety and livelihoods first and foremost.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:20 am

RDW wrote:Eddie Jones saying we've only got ourselves to blame that a typhoon has potentially ruined our chance to qualify.

What a douche.

He's just at it - can't help himself. I'm happy in the fact that almost every rugby fan I know think he's a total walloper.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:21 am

I'm pretty sure the Japanese have the most advanced robotic super-soppers on the planet.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:37 am

EST wrote:
RDW wrote:Eddie Jones saying we've only got ourselves to blame that a typhoon has potentially ruined our chance to qualify.

What a douche.

He's just at it - can't help himself.  I'm happy in the fact that almost every rugby fan I know think he's a total walloper.

That's my main issue - why did he feel the need to comment on something that's nothing to do with him? He may have been asked about it (or knowing Eddie he just volunteered this nugget of genius from his own mind) but he should have just replied something like "It's a really unfortunate situation and I'm sure the teams will be really disappointed if the game was cancelled" - that's it.

Looking into his claim in more detail, it's total nonsense and he seems to be forgetting that two teams qualify from the group. He's basically saying it's our own fault we didn't beat the number 1 ranked team in the world (at the time), the top seeds in the group and the heavy bookies favourites. Doing so would have been a huge upset. Our job was made even more complicated by Japan beating Ireland - something completely out of our hands.

Our most likely path in the groups was to lose to Ireland (which we did) then pick up some confidence boosting wins against Russia and Samoa (which we did) to give us momentum for an all or nothing game against Japan (which we should be having). Nothing's changed from that other than a typhoon is threatening to cancel the game! We're 2nd seeds in the group so were expected to fight out for 2nd qualifier.

As an aside, am I right in thinking that if Ireland had beaten Japan and denied them a BP (as was supposed to happen....) a draw would have put as through due to greater points difference? I'm sure a venue would have been found if that was the case! Wink

Last edited by RDW on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:42 am

EST wrote:

What a douche.

He's just at it - can't help himself.  I'm happy in the fact that almost every rugby fan I know think he's a total walloper.

Jones! Typical welshman

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:50 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
Pie wrote:Optics all wrong....scots go home host qualify. These buffoons need to get this right on that issue alone.

The optics of ‘sorry Italians you’re not important you’re off home but Japan you’re important so we’ll move your match’ aren’t any better.

They can’t move the Scotland Japan match having cancelled the others. The game either goes ahead as planned or it’s cancelled, end of.

A lot of chat going round that NZ were offered a chance to postpone/move their game, but declined (due to not wanting a shorter turnaround), as is their right, so the game reverted back to the pre tournament rules on cancelled games. No idea how accurate the sources are, but that's what's being said.

If that's true then no issue with this game being moved, assuming both nations agree.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:50 am

RDW wrote:
EST wrote:

What a douche.

That's my main issue - why did he feel the need to comment on something that's nothing to do with him? He may have been asked about it (or knowing Eddie he just volunteered this nugget of genius from his own mind) but he should have just replied something like "It's a really unfortunate situation and I'm sure the teams will be really disappointed if the game was cancelled" - that's it.

Looking into his claim in more detail, it's total nonsense and he seems to be forgetting that two teams qualify from the group. He's basically saying it's our own fault we didn't beat the number 1 ranked team in the world (at the time), the top seeds in the group and the heavy bookies favourites. Doing so would have been a huge upset. Our job was made even more complicated by Japan beating Ireland - something completely out of our hands.

Our most likely path in the groups was to lose to Ireland (which we did) then pick up some confidence boosting wins against Russia and Samoa (which we did) to give us momentum for an all or nothing game against Japan (which we should be having). Nothing's changed from that other than a typhoon is threatening to cancel the game! We're 2nd seeds in the group so were expected to fight out for 2nd qualifier.

As an aside, am I right in thinking that if Ireland had beaten Japan and denied them a BP (as was supposed to happen....) a draw would have put as through due to greater points difference? I'm sure a venue would have been found if that was the case! Wink

RDW, you have fallen into the trap of trying to apply logic and good reason to what he said - none of it makes any sense. He just spotted an opportunity to be a bell-end and couldn't help himself.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:54 am

EWT Spoons wrote:

A lot of chat going round that NZ were offered a chance to postpone/move their game, but declined (due to not wanting a shorter turnaround), as is their right, so the game reverted back to the pre tournament rules on cancelled games.  No idea how accurate the sources are, but that's what's being said.

If that's true then no issue with this game being moved, assuming both nations agree.

World Rugby have categorically denied these allegation. Haven't seen NZ respond to them yet.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Oct 2019, 8:54 am

SecretFly wrote:Yeah.  They've kinda shot themselves in the foot, the organisers.  There'll be war (hopefully just verbal) if one game gets rescheduled whilst other games got cancelled.

They wouldve shot themselves in the foot if theyd rescheduled one instead of following the agreed rules. 

The issue thats rightly being raised now is that they did have the option of moving to a different venue on the same date in event of an act of god.

Ultimately though its Ireland Scotland should be mad at for throwing the Japan game after going full guns at them. Its that which could cost them.

Best case for everyone now is that the game goes ahead and Japan win comfortably leaving the Scotlanders looking like absolute buffoons for blowing so much wind about how unfair it was that medicore teams arent allowed to get through to the last 8.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:01 am

What a douche.

This is just Eddie being Eddie.  Might come across as a plonker but he knows what he's doing.  He's giving journalists something to chew on and write about, so they aren't then scratching around looking at what the players are getting up to.  I would be gobsmacked if a group of players hadn't been out for a drink or done something that some journalist somewhere would a fuss over.  But why scratch around for something to write when Eddie gives it to you on a plate.  The more controversial Eddie is (within reason) the less attention the players get, and the more they can focus on the rugby.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:01 am

RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

A lot of chat going round that NZ were offered a chance to postpone/move their game, but declined (due to not wanting a shorter turnaround), as is their right, so the game reverted back to the pre tournament rules on cancelled games.  No idea how accurate the sources are, but that's what's being said.

World Rugby have categorically denied these allegation. Haven't seen NZ respond to them yet.

Cool, do you have a link to that by any chance, as I've not seen anything from WR on it?

Cheers

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:02 am

Last edited by Tattie Scones RRN on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:02 am

RDW wrote:
EST wrote:

What a douche.

That's my main issue - why did he feel the need to comment on something that's nothing to do with him? 

Its almost as if he was asked a question by a journalist and the juiciest part of his off the cuff response was reported back out of context as a shock headline. 

Im sure next time he gets the train back from Scotland there will be plenty of rational fans queueing up to physically assault him for existing.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:03 am

Gooseberry wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Yeah.  They've kinda shot themselves in the foot, the organisers.  There'll be war (hopefully just verbal) if one game gets rescheduled whilst other games got cancelled.

They wouldve shot themselves in the foot if theyd rescheduled one instead of following the agreed rules. 

The issue thats rightly being raised now is that they did have the option of moving to a different venue on the same date in event of an act of god.

Ultimately though its Ireland Scotland should be mad at for throwing the Japan game after going full guns at them. Its that which could cost them.

Best case for everyone now is that the game goes ahead and Japan win comfortably leaving the Scotlanders looking like absolute buffoons for blowing so much wind about how unfair it was that medicore teams arent allowed to get through to the last 8.

Mediocre enough to take the Englanders apart in the 2nd half at Twickenham eh?

Engage brain next time wee man.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:07 am

McInally dropped!

Head Coach Gregor Townsend today named the Scotland team for the decisive Rugby World Cup Pool A finale against Japan at the International Stadium Yokohama (kick-off 11.45am BST, 7.45pm local time) – live on ITV/STV.

The Scots must defeat the tournament hosts for a chance to progress to the quarter-finals, with four or more championship points than their opponents required to guarantee safe passage to the last eight.

An emphasis on rotation and recovery has seen Townsend make 12 changes to the team which started Scotland’s 61-0 victory over Russia two days ago, though shows just two changes to that which took to the field against Samoa in round two almost a fortnight ago (34-0) – meaning all 31 squad players featured in these vital Pool wins.

Scrum-half Greig Laidlaw returns to captain the side and build on his national team record of appearances in the role, with Stuart McInally listed among an impactful bench.

Laidlaw is among seven of those rested after the Samoa win to begin preparations for this Sunday’s Test against the Brave Blossoms, providing a fresh spine of the team in spite of the four-day turnaround between rounds three and four.

He is joined by rested stand-off Finn Russell – surpassing the record set by Roy Laidlaw and John Rutherford of 35 starts together at half-back – back-row Blade Thomson, lock Jonny Gray, full-back Stuart Hogg, centre Sam Johnson and prop Allan Dell – with Saracens wing Sean Maitland unable to recover sufficiently from a groin strain sustained in the Samoa game.

Record breakers - Finn Russell and Greig Laidlaw in Japan

Townsend said: “It’s taken a real squad effort from our players here in Japan to put us in a position to play for a place in the quarter-finals, having risen to the challenge of what’s effectively been knockout rugby since the second round of our Pool.

“The entire group has featured in our past two Tests, both of which have been clinical and professional performances.

“It was great to see players get the opportunity to play in this World Cup on Wednesday and it looked like they enjoyed the experience.

“The effort invested in defence, support play and clearing has been encouraging and has put a lot of pressure on the opposition.

“A few players have pushed hard for selection with the form they’ve shown in training and in the last two games and it’s now down to this group of 23 men to build on this momentum and squad togetherness to deliver a winning performance against Japan.”
Head Coach Gregor Townsend
Every effort has been made to manage the load on the remainder of Sunday’s starting team, with Fraser Brown – rewarded with his first start of the campaign at his favoured position of hooker – prop Willem Nel, lock Grant Gilchrist and centre Chris Harris all playing half an hour or less against Russia.

Edinburgh’s Magnus Bradbury returns to partner the rested Thomson and Jamie Ritchie – an unused replacement against Russia – in the back-row.

Wings Darcy Graham and Tommy Seymour are the only others to have started against Russia, completing the back-three with full-back Hogg.

Townsend added: “The opportunity to face the hosts in such a decisive Pool match will be a unique occasion and should be a great spectacle.

“Games of this magnitude don’t come around very often in a playing career so we will be giving it everything to make sure it is a memorable match.”

Scotland team to play Japan at Yokohama Stadium in Rugby World Cup Pool A
Sunday 13 October (kick-off 11.45am BST, 7.45pm local time)

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 71 caps

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 54 caps
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 13 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
11. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 10 caps

10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 48 caps
9. Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) – 75 caps

1. Allan Dell (London Irish) – 27 caps
2. Fraser Brown VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 45 caps
3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 34 caps
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 39 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 54 caps
6. Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh) – 10 caps
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 13 caps
8. Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – 4 caps

Substitutes:
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) – 32 caps
17. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls) – 40 caps
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 24 caps
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps
20. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 48 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 44 caps
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 16 caps

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:10 am

Team largely as expected, with the exception of McInally being dropped, and the insanity of having Wilson anywhere near the squad.

Happy enough, just hope they get a chance to play.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:12 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Cool, do you have a link to that by any chance, as I've not seen anything from WR on it?

Cheers

it was in an article from one of the rugby social media pages - Rugby Pass or something like that. They had a quote from a World Rugby spokesperson.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:16 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

Mediocre enough to take the Englanders apart in the 2nd half at Twickenham eh?

Engage brain next time wee man.

Sounds like Townsend doesnt rate them very highly 

Townsend wrote:It’s taken a real squad effort from our players here in Japan to put us in a position to play for a place in the quarter-finals, having risen to the challenge of what’s effectively been knockout rugby since the second round of our Pool.

they had to rise to the challenge and dig deep to beat Russia (20) and Samoa (14). A real squad effort suggests that hes not comfortable with their ranking of 9, so yes it must be pretty exciting to still be in with a shout of making the top 8 as an outsider.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:28 am

It seems that Rambo has been dropped from the team to face Japan (if it goes ahead). Shocked
Chuckles is hooking.
Frodo captains and the only other change from the team who beat Samoa is that MrDarcy replaces NoMaits who is injured.

Substitutes:

So Furra Linee covering 10/13. Haircut obviously didn't do enough against Russia to convince Toonie.
Batman will bring his own brand of bonhomie to the proceedings late in the game.
My big concern is at 13. The Hardest Worker deserves his start but if he has to come off we have no real 13 n the bench.
We could end up with ;
9. Hornito
10.Dancer
12. Furra
13. Hogg
with a back three of;

Darcy-Blarehorn-Seymour

Now that would be maximum Tombola. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:30 am

Team just out...

Substitutes:

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:32 am

Wilson ahead of Barclay?? No Taylor? No Berghan? Otherwise looks okay, shame about Maitland, didn't realise he had a niggle.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 11 Oct 2019, 9:32 am

Have the World Rugby people given a schedule for when they'd for a fact either declare the game on or off? After all, they had a press conference to fanfare a few other decisions. It's getting late. Do Scotland, Japan and fans just turn up and wait for a decision seconds before the ref blows his whistle to start?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next