The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread

+25
Rugby Fan
Pot Hale
Yoda
bsando
tigertattie
RDW
TightHEAD
Duty281
Welshmushroom
BigGee
chris_501
No 7&1/2
bluestonevedder
majesticimperialman
Cyril
wayne
Blueschief
lostinwales
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
Noble-Surfer
LondonTiger
Gooseberry
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
29 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread  - Page 2 Empty Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread

Post by Guest Thu 12 Dec 2019, 9:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wales v Italy match thread

Wales

Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread  - Page 2 Singer10

Italy

Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread  - Page 2 Singer11

Teams:

Wales:

L Halfpenny (Scarlets); J McNicholl (Scarlets), G North (Ospreys), H Parkes (Scarlets), J Adams (Cardiff Blues); D Biggar (Northampton), T Williams (Cardiff Blues); W Jones (Scarlets), K Owens (Scarlets), D Lewis (Cardiff Blues), J Ball (Scarlets), A W Jones (Ospreys, capt), A Wainwright (Dragons), J Tipuric (Ospreys), T Faletau (Bath).

Replacements: R Elias (Scarlets), R Evans (Scarlets), L Brown (Dragons), C Hill (Dragons), R Moriarty (Dragons), R Webb (Toulon), J Evans (Cardiff Blues), N Tompkins (Saracens)

15. Matteo Minozzi (Wasps) – 16 caps
14. Leonardo Sarto (Benetton Rugby) – 34 caps
13. Luca Morisi (Benetton Rugby) – 29 caps
12. Carlo Canna (Zebre) – 39 caps
11. Mattia Bellini (Zebre) – 22 caps
10. Tommaso Allan (Benetton Rugby) – 54 caps
9. Callum Braley (Gloucester) – 5 caps

1. Giosuè Zilocchi (Zebre) – 2 caps
2. Luca Bigi (c) (Zebre) – 24 caps
3. Andrea Lovotti (Zebre) – 40 caps
4. Alessandro Zanni (Benetton Rugby) – 117 caps
5. Niccolò Cannone (Benetton Rugby) – uncapped
6. Sebastian Negri (Benetton Rugby) – 22 caps
7. Jake Polledri (Gloucester) – 13 caps
8. Abraham Steyn (Benetton Rugby) – 36 caps

Replacements

16. Federico Zani (Benetton Rugby) – 13 caps
17. Danilo Fischetti (Zebre) – uncapped
18. Marco Riccioni (Benetton Rugby) – 7 caps
19. Marco Lazzaroni (Benetton Rugby) – 4 caps
20. Dean Budd (Benetton Rugby) – 26 caps
21. Giovanni Licata (Zebre) – 8 caps
22. Guglielmo Palazzani (Zebre) – 36 caps
23. Jayden Hayward (Benetton Rugby) – 23 caps

Last edited by The Oracle on Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread

Post by maestegmafia Fri 17 Jan 2020, 9:33 pm

Only welsh squad player in the blues team is Dillon where as the rest of the regions have gone in to this weekend fully equipped...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales v Italy 6 Nations - Saturday 1st Feb 2020 - match thread

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 17 Jan 2020, 9:43 pm

guestalt_physicality wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:North is playing 13 on the weekend again, let's hope he can make Scott Williams look good!  

One is a world class centre with over 50 Wales caps, lots of international tries, and who tore your 'team' apart and your 'team' only won when he went off injured. The other is a winger. I'm not sure how this is leaving it but it's embarrassing either way.

He isn’t world class and the only thing that’s embarrassing is you further emphasising your big crush on SW with another predictable response. Poor miaow just can’t help them self. He also didn’t tear ‘my team’ apart and he is not the reason why Dragons won. Telling lies to try and appear to be right in front of other internet users is something miaow used to do often, especially targeting me. You’re a strange one if this is what you spend your spare time doing. The rest of us are here to talk about rugby like adults thumbsup

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jan 2020, 9:55 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:North is playing 13 on the weekend again, let's hope he can make Scott Williams look good!  

One is a world class centre with over 50 Wales caps, lots of international tries, and who tore your 'team' apart and your 'team' only won when he went off injured. The other is a winger. I'm not sure how this is leaving it but it's embarrassing either way.

Why 'team' in inverted commas, Miaow? You seem to be suggesting by doing that that the Dragons are in some way not a team or not worthy of being called a team. Extremely immature.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 17 Jan 2020, 10:01 pm

Yeah good luck with that.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 18 Jan 2020, 8:30 am

Very heart warming to read that Jamie Roberts still harbours a dream of pulling a wales shirt. It must be very hard for him to see Tompkins and Williams selected ahead of him when he has given so much of his career to welsh rugby. Even harder still to see Parkes who is not too dissimilar a player in his shirt.

I don’t think Roberts has had the impact he did in the early part of his career and thus I wouldn’t select him personally. But it will be interesting to see how he gets on with the Stormers.

I have always liked Roberts as a personality and respected him for what he has done in the game and as a medical student alongside his career.

He has definitely been a very interesting player to follow. If he started tearing up trees in Super Rugby I would consider recalling him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 9:14 am

Been reading the annoucement on Twittter and a lot of Bath fans are not sorry to see the back of him, unfortunately. A lot seem to feel he's a waste of money and blocking emerging talent! Any Bath fans on here feel the same/different?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 18 Jan 2020, 9:22 am

The Oracle wrote:Been reading the annoucement on Twittter and a lot of Bath fans are not sorry to see the back of him, unfortunately. A lot seem to feel he's a waste of money and blocking emerging talent! Any Bath fans on here feel the same/different?

I go to the REC a bit and I’m a member of the club. Mixed feelings of hurt at a player leaving by the fans, the smarter ones see what he gives in experience leadership and his natural bloodymindedness. The reality of Bath RFCs position right now, being a bit like Sarries, I fear Bath RFC need to shed a few pounds before the end of season Audit.

There could be some great opportunities for the regions here as the project reset agreement means the WRU will do more for the regions to hold on to top international welsh players.

Rumours at the Ospreys that Faletau is a target as Bath reduce their wage bill.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Sat 18 Jan 2020, 10:50 am

Hope Bath isn’t offloading Jamie Roberts to sort out their own salary cap indiscretions? Although nobody has reported that in the media it seems a little convenient.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:27 pm

Roberts should have played in Japan IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:29 pm

I also think some old players like Lydiate deserve a chance if they keep playing well. The 4 year cycle is a bit overdone. Lydiate is playing really well in a poor team and would bring good experience to some of the younger players and give other players who need it a rest at some point in the next 2 years. Maybe during the tour next summer. If Parkes is getting selected at 32 I don't see Roberts shouldn't at 33 for at least a few caps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:30 pm

The Oracle wrote:

Why 'team' in inverted commas, Miaow? You seem to be suggesting by doing that that the Dragons are in some way not a team or not worthy of being called a team. Extremely immature. If you want people to converse with you try being less of a douche.
I thought I replied to this last night. One, I am not maiow. Two, because I do not believe he is a rugby supporter. The rest is just tripe.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Been reading the annoucement on Twittter and a lot of Bath fans are not sorry to see the back of him, unfortunately. A lot seem to feel he's a waste of money and blocking emerging talent! Any Bath fans on here feel the same/different?

I go to the REC a bit and I’m a member of the club. Mixed feelings of hurt at a player leaving by the fans, the smarter ones see what he gives in experience leadership and his natural bloodymindedness. The reality of Bath RFCs position right now, being a bit like Sarries, I fear Bath RFC need to shed a few pounds before the end of season Audit.

There could be some great opportunities for the regions here as the project reset agreement means the WRU will do more for the regions to hold on to top international welsh players.

Maes, where at the Ospreys are you getting this Faletau rumours from, it's certainly not from our forum or off the Osprey website. Personally with Dan Baker now back and Morgan Morris proven to be an able deputy and pre-season signing Gareth Evans back in training, I see no reason to sign Faletau who will be away for at least 10 weeks a season we need players to fill in when the Welsh callups are away.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:47 pm

The Oracle wrote:

Why 'team' in inverted commas, Miaow? You seem to be suggesting by doing that that the Dragons are in some way not a team or not worthy of being called a team. Extremely immature. If you want people to converse with you try being less of a douche.
I thought I replied to this last night. One, I am not maiow. Two, because I do not believe he is a rugby supporter. The rest is just tripe.

You did reply. Either you deleted it, because you realised you slipped up and replied to someone referring to you as Miaow without batting an eyelid, or a Mod deleted it. Cant imagine why a mod would as there was nothing offensive in your post.

You may not be Miaow but there's just so many similarities. It's uncanny.

Arrived very soon after Miaow deleted his account.
Defend Scott Williams like a lover. Haven't seen any other posters with the same affection for him as you two! The same arguments used when discussing him as Miaow used too.
You both overuse 'inverted commas'.
You both write in the same way (a few deliberate typos now won't fool anyone!).
You sometimes forget that someone has referred to you as Miaow and answer as if you are Miaow. Why would you answer if it is not you?! If someone referred to me as Maesteg Mafia I'd know not to reply as it wasn't meant for me!

Like I said, uncanny!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:54 pm

wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maes, where at the Ospreys are you getting this Faletau rumours from, it's certainly not from our forum or off the Osprey website. Personally with Dan Baker now back and Morgan Morris proven  to be an able deputy and pre-season signing Gareth Evans back in training, I see no reason to sign Faletau who will be away for at least 10 weeks a season we need players to fill in when the Welsh callups are away.  

Well weren't Ospreys also after Moriarty until Pivac squashed the offer? Which would kind of make those reasons void. I would agree that Ospreys are okay at 8, just rather unlucky with injuries. I would probably sign a fetcher at 7 either as a replacement for back-up for Tipuric.
Yes Morris looks pretty good, but thought he was more of a 7 that can play 8.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Like I said, uncanny!

You left out the lies and accusations, particularly the one where we're accused of ganging him up on him and driving other posters off the site. I'm sure that accusation is coming this way soon because we disagree with his/her null and void arguments.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 1:02 pm

The Oracle wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

You did reply. Either you deleted it, because you realised you slipped up and replied to someone referring to you as Miaow without batting an eyelid, or a Mod deleted it. Cant imagine why a mod would as there was nothing offensive in your post.

Defend Scott Williams like a lover. Haven't seen any other posters with the same affection for him as you two! The same arguments used when discussing him as Miaow used too.
You sometimes forget that someone has referred to you as Miaow and answer as if you are Miaow. Why would you answer if it is not you?! If someone referred to me as Maesteg Mafia I'd know not to reply as it wasn't meant for me!

Like I said, uncanny!

I think it must have been deleted by moderators which is fair enough. I have reported you calling me a genital slur word and hope that it will be removed too. The rest of your comment is guff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 1:03 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Like I said, uncanny!

You left out the lies and accusations, particularly the one where we're accused of ganging him up on him and driving other posters off the site. I'm sure that accusation is coming this way soon because we disagree with his/her null and void arguments.

I thought you were going to leave it and talk rugby? You threw around accusations of a personality when, frankly, you display all the behaviour yourself. Horrible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 1:04 pm

The Oracle wrote:

By the way I will actually reply to this guff.

What about this might make me think you were talking to me? 3 guess...go on...

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 18 Jan 2020, 1:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Like I said, uncanny!

I thought you were going to leave it and talk rugby? You threw around accusations of a personality when, frankly, you display all the behaviour yourself. Horrible.

Another uncanny miaow response, I've read this numerous times before. I have no interest in talking rugby or anything with you as it always proves futile. I would rather talk rugby with everyone but you. All posters have/had a problem with you, not just me, so it clearly is not I with the fragile ego. Good to see that you go a bit quiet and now avoid comments that prove you wrong though, rather than do more lying in an effort to 'win' something - yes I know you'll relay this exact same argument back at me, I've seen the narcissistic behaviour from miaow a million times already, zzzzzzzzzzz Rolling Eyes.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 1:59 pm

The 'funny' thing is I was an occupational therapist for 13 years and towards the end a lot of what the profession was dealing with was all kinds of people compartmentalising disordered thinking and behaviour on the internet, from autistic children who won't get off it, to emotionally unstable patients getting in to all sorts of messes including blazing rows with strangers online, spending lots of money, gambling. From a professional point of view I found it very hard to deal with as I am not the most computer savvy and everyone is wired up all the time which makes it hard to produce positive outcomes. But from a personal point of view when dealing with 'trolls' I am clueless about how to engage with you. The internet is the best and worst of people and you seem desperate for me to be miaow but I am not. And this is pathetic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 18 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm

Miaow, are you still causing trouble?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

It's not Miaow, it's TAFKAM.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 18 Jan 2020, 4:02 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maes, where at the Ospreys are you getting this Faletau rumours from, it's certainly not from our forum or off the Osprey website. Personally with Dan Baker now back and Morgan Morris proven  to be an able deputy and pre-season signing Gareth Evans back in training, I see no reason to sign Faletau who will be away for at least 10 weeks a season we need players to fill in when the Welsh callups are away.  

Well weren't Ospreys also after Moriarty until Pivac squashed the offer? Which would kind of make those reasons void. I would agree that Ospreys are okay at 8, just rather unlucky with injuries. I would probably sign a fetcher at 7 either as a replacement for back-up for Tipuric.

Mikey D is right and this is just verbal talking the other night at Bath, not Orpreys forum based though that said I’m surprised it’s not on the forum yet.

It appears Bath like Saracens are stretching the boundaries of the wage cap in the English premiership too far. Harlequins are apparently in the same situation.

Any region would take Faletau if they could. He’s one of the best eights in the game.

If Ospreys have the intention they currently say they do they will be signing and they will sign welsh over NWQ

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 18 Jan 2020, 4:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Mikey D is right and this is just verbal talking the other night at Bath, not Orpreys forum based though that said I’m surprised it’s not on the forum yet.

It appears Bath like Saracens are stretching the boundaries of the wage cap in the English premiership too far. Harlequins are apparently in the same situation.

Any region would take Faletau if they could. He’s one of the best eights in the game.

If Ospreys have the intention they currently say they do they will be signing and they will sign welsh over NWQ

Maes the interest in Moriarty was when there was no sign of Baker and Evans being available, they are now, I don't know whether you realise it but the Osprey run forum has died a death and there has been a fans originated forum in its place, the 3 I named are all Welsh qualified. Why I mentioned personal is because there are new circumstances over Welsh signings who would come under the 38 who would be paid out of the new CVC money so it would hardly harm any of the Regions to sign any top player, this is why there is the rush to get as many of the top players as possible. As I said this is my personal opinion and I would prefer us to manage with those 3 welsh qualified No 8s and get in stand ins for the likes of Anscombe, Webb, AWJ, Tipuric and anybody else called up to TW. They could be Welsh or not, the terrible results of this season is having to play the likes of Ashley, Cracknell, Cross, Price and others too many to mention, this class of player is not good enough for GL matches, the fodder has to go and decent quality Welsh or not has to come in.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 18 Jan 2020, 5:43 pm

Wayne the elite 38 should work well for all the regions and hopefully bring back a number of players that improve the regions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

Faletau to Ospreys makes sense tbh. The WRU makes it cost effective to sign top Welsh players thanks to Project Reset. Faletau would be in the top band and expensive but the Ospreys would be well reimbursed for him. Baker might not be a professional rugby player in 18 months given his injury record and coud play less than Faletau due to his injury record. More than that though is you want top class quality in your team for when you play the games that matter, but it also filters down and helps up and coming players. Given the state of Ospreys they should sign Faletau if they have the chance. He also needs to be out of England so he stops getting injured for Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:35 am

The Oracle wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Like I said, uncanny!

It's almost sad, isn't it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:38 am

If there's been any 'guff' posted here, it's this. A total misrepresentation of what happened. You really are sore that your Scarlets lost to our rabble, aren't you?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:54 am

If miaow was picking the team for Italy (and Ireland);

6. Dan Lydiate
11. Stef Evans
13. Scott Williams
14. George North

Bench; Stef Hughes, Thomas-Wheeler

<shiver>

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 20 Jan 2020, 6:58 pm

George north as been playing at centre. Does it suit him at centre or  is he more suited on the wing.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 Jan 2020, 7:29 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:George north as been playing at centre. Does it suit him at centre or  is he more suited on the wing.

He’s pretty good. If he played there full time I think he would be very good. Defence at 13 is one of the hardest positions and that’s why those outside centres that are phenomenally good at defence as well as attack are lauded so much praise, Bleddyn Williams, David Duckham, Jeremy Guscott, Alan Bateman, Brian O’Driscoll and Jonathan Davies spring to mind.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 20 Jan 2020, 8:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:George north as been playing at centre. Does it suit him at centre or  is he more suited on the wing.

He’s pretty good. If he played there full time I think he would be very good. Defence at 13 is one of the hardest positions and that’s why those outside centres that are phenomenally good at defence as well as attack are lauded so much praise, Bleddyn Williams, David Duckham, Jeremy Guscott, Alan Bateman, Brian O’Driscoll and Jonathan Davies spring to mind.

Guscott was a wonderful player but he wasn't much of a defender

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 Jan 2020, 8:31 pm

lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Guscott was a wonderful player but he wasn't much of a defender
he wasn’t a big defender but he was a canny one. His trick which worked really well in that era was to show a player the outside then use his pace and he would get the ankle tap in rarely missed either. He never had the bulk to manage what Scott Gibbs could do inside him, but he was very rarely beaten in midfield.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jan 2020, 9:17 pm

Sounds so wrong Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 20 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Lets face it if he plays there for Wales this six nations its because theres plenty of players who deserve spots in the back 3 and a shortage of centers, not because its his best position or because hes a world class 13. Handy for the squad and bench flexibility if nothing else. It may be as he ages and slows he will end up playing there full time, whether he will be able to command a place in the national team still I guess depends as much on others keeping him out as anything else ( I have a hard time believing hes still only 27 mind) . Whilst he has plenty of speed and power does he have the passing and tackling for 13, not so sure. Its handy to have a tactical kicking game at 13, cant really see him chipping many over the defence for the wings to run on to. Hes got the core fundamentals in spades, but I just dont think hes a good enough all round footballer to be great in the centers unless he puts a lot of work in to widen skills.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 Jan 2020, 9:43 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Lets face it if he plays there for Wales this six nations its because theres plenty of players who deserve spots in the back 3 and a shortage of centers, not because its his best position or because hes a world class 13. Handy for the squad and bench flexibility if nothing else. It may be as he ages and slows he will end up playing there full time, whether he will be able to command a place in the national team still I guess depends as much on others keeping him out as anything else ( I have a hard time believing hes still only 27 mind) . Whilst he has plenty of speed and power does he have the passing and tackling for 13, not so sure. Its handy to have a tactical kicking game at 13, cant really see him chipping many over the defence for the wings to run on to. Hes got the core fundamentals in spades, but I just dont think hes a good enough all round footballer to be great in the centers unless he puts a lot of work in to widen skills.

It’s defence that I worry about, everyone’s always been sceptical of his defence. He may make it work, he’s still a young lad and all the coaches say he’s a consummate professional

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:03 pm

Yes plenty of good wingers and no centres right now. I personally wouldn’t have picked North if more centres were available. You can’t really justify his inclusion on the reputation of a few years ago. Perhaps the concussions and other injuries have taken their toll? He’ll work with some new coaches and we’ll go from there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 Jan 2020, 10:18 pm

Good news is that Zamester was walking around today without a moon boot on or a drip trailing behind his hospital bed. Hopefully just a nasty niggle that will not affect his six nations.

The squad are at the Vale now. Non regional players return to their clubs on Wednesday evening after three full days in cam. Players arrived last night.

Let’s hope this is the start of something very good

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 21 Jan 2020, 8:02 am

Agreed Mikey I think he is suffering from the accumulated effects of all the injuries hes sustained, and maybe at times rushing back. Starting so young at such a high level with a game based on high impact collisions is a recipe for disasters ask Tuilagi. But also theres every chance this is just a temporary dip, theres lots of examples of players who have seemed to drop off the boil only to come roaring back. Sometimes they just need a break, other times its finding something new. I do think North has been able to hide his deficiencies by simply being so good at the things hes does well, noone can argue he wasnt one of the best wingers in the NH for the majority of the previous decade.
At 27 I'm certainly not writing him off even if I agree with the general sentiment that hes not an automatic pick now.
If the injuries are more than just a rltemporart hampering and he has lost some of his spark he will need to broaden his skill base. Looking back at Tuilagi he did exactly this, learning how to pass and becoming an option at 12 when he lost the edge off his raw pace and hes even been known to kick the ball. Theres no reason North cant do similar if as suggested above the coaches believe it's worth investing the time in hom and he has the humility and graft to change up his game.

On another note I cant help looking at Wales' "issue" of having too many scrum halves and Englands of having two in the squad neither of which most of the fans want there.

Also starting to get behind Wales a bit more for this tournament. Italy first up is a really handy fixture for a new side to feel their way in. Theres a lot of positivity around the regions (except ospreys) and key players seem to be on it for the most part.
Theres 3 home games they should win, and two very tough away ones. That maybe makes a championship pretty unlikely unless the table ends up with a host of team on 3 2 records but maybe it's more about performances at this point in the rebuilding cycle. And I fancy Wales will look a bit more together and dangerous than I'd thought a few weeks back.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 21 Jan 2020, 10:45 am

Italy Home 1st February
Ireland Away 8th February
France Home 22nd February
England Away 7th March
Scotland Home 14th March

Not a bad run of fixtures.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 21 Jan 2020, 10:50 am

Another way of looking at it is that if we lose to Ireland and France, we'll need to win at Twickenham to save our season!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 21 Jan 2020, 11:31 am

Gooseberry wrote:Agreed Mikey I think he is suffering from the accumulated effects of all the injuries hes sustained, and maybe at times rushing back. Starting so young at such a high level with a game based on high impact collisions is a recipe for disasters ask Tuilagi. But also theres every chance this is just a temporary dip, theres lots of examples of players who have seemed to drop off the boil only to come roaring back. Sometimes they just need a break, other times its finding something new. I do think North has been able to hide his deficiencies by simply being so good at the things hes does well, noone can argue he wasnt one of the best wingers in the NH for the majority of the previous decade.
At 27 I'm certainly not writing him off even if I agree with the general sentiment that hes not an automatic pick now.
If the injuries are more than just a rltemporart hampering and he has lost some of his spark he will need to broaden his skill base. Looking back at Tuilagi he did exactly this, learning how to pass and becoming an option at 12 when he lost the edge off his raw pace and hes even been known to kick the ball. Theres no reason North cant do similar if as suggested above the coaches believe it's worth investing the time in hom and he has the humility and graft to change up his game.

On another note I cant help looking at Wales' "issue" of having too many scrum halves and Englands of having two in the squad neither of which most of the fans want there.

Also starting to get behind Wales a bit more for this tournament. Italy first up is a really handy fixture for a new side to feel their way in. Theres a lot of positivity around the regions (except ospreys) and key players seem to be on it for the most part.
Theres 3 home games they should win, and two very tough away ones. That maybe makes a championship pretty unlikely unless the table ends up with a host of team on 3 2 records but maybe it's more about performances at this point in the rebuilding cycle. And I fancy Wales will look a bit more together and dangerous than I'd thought a few weeks back.

Well said. The trouble is, we had too many automatic picks under Gatland and North was one of them (Admittedly it is difficult to leave out a 6'4 17 stone winger sometimes). Why people still believed he was the best there when his performances were inconsistent I don't know. The Ospreys isn't a good place for players right now, especially backs. The team can't score tries. Perhaps he needs a rest, or perhaps he needs guys like Anscombe to come back as well as a new coaching team - then he may improve. Not long after we capped him we had to give him time off because it was too much, so we'll have to be more careful with Rees-Zammit, but we don't know until we know.

Wales always has good 9's. Unbelievably, we've stunted the development of some by giving game time to ones who were barely pro standard (Tavis Knoyle, Aled Davies). Lloyd Williams has too many caps as well, he's probably a decent back-up at a region at best.

First game we need the 5 points otherwise it'll be considered a failure. The performance prbably won't come under much scrutiny until later rounds. I am a bit worried with Hayward as the defence coach.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 21 Jan 2020, 11:46 am

maestegmafia wrote:Good news is that Zamester was walking around today without a moon boot on or a drip trailing behind his hospital bed. Hopefully just a nasty niggle that will not affect his six nations.

The squad are at the Vale now. Non regional players return to their clubs on Wednesday evening after three full days in cam. Players arrived last night.

Who's Zamester maesteg?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 21 Jan 2020, 11:54 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Good news is that Zamester was walking around today without a moon boot on or a drip trailing behind his hospital bed. Hopefully just a nasty niggle that will not affect his six nations.

Who's Zamester maesteg?

Rees-Zammit the young Gloucester wing

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 21 Jan 2020, 12:12 pm

Good to see us trying some more centre options. I am looking forward to seeing hi e they go. Plenty of time to loose them in to the squad before the next RWC.

We may be lacking depth at the moment but if we can bring on Williams, Tompkins, Watkins and maybe North, Adams or Lane as many have discussed elsewhere, things could look Rosie for the future

There are a few promising lads coming through as well

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 21 Jan 2020, 12:27 pm

I'd rather leave Adams where he is. Has he played senior rugby, or any rugby at all, in midfield?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 21 Jan 2020, 12:51 pm

I know Pivac seemingly wanted to look at him at 13, but I can't see him moving our most prolific winger, even if we do have some wingers in try scoring club form within the squad.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 21 Jan 2020, 1:48 pm

lostinwales wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:

Who's Zamester maesteg?

Rees-Zammit the young Gloucester wing

Of course- thanks. Excited to see him this 6N.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 21 Jan 2020, 10:32 pm

The English and french based players will return to their clubs tomorrow. To rejoin the squad on Sunday evening.

Could be a mitigating factor in their selection?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 22 Jan 2020, 8:02 am

maestegmafia wrote:The English and french based players will return to their clubs tomorrow. To rejoin the squad on Sunday evening.

Could be a mitigating factor in their selection?

Dont know why this was downvoted, I assume you mean because they cant train fully with the squad and their rest during the tournament is limited then on 50/50 calls you'd go for the player. you have greater control over. It seems even more obviou when youre building a new team and way of playing.
Of course the flip side is will you see a Scarlets bias in selection? We get the accusation with every coach whos come from a home club or who gets the lions job, and theres some natural tendency to go for players they know well and know understand the system being coached, how far that strays into loyalty or just blind faith in their boys is difficult to quantify. Theres noone in the squad that stands out as a "really" selection , be interesting to see how heavy the 23 is with them. Theres a fair few in the squad, but thats to be expected as they are by far the best Region over the last couple of years.
Looking at the England baseed players theres a couple of positions where they kind of have to be selected, its hard to see a 23 without Faletau Biggar and Liam Williams, the rest are really peripheral figures with 12 caps between them. Their status in England wont help their cases for pushing for selection, I dont see that as a massively controversial statement.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next