The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

The Covid-19 serious chat thread - Page 7 Empty The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Post by JuliusHMarx on Mon 25 May 2020, 7:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Self-isolating, social distancing, locked down thread split.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

The Covid-19 serious chat thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Post by Pr4wn on Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:46 am

Soul Requiem wrote:What a terrible mistake on my behalf, she attended one of 41 SAGE meetings, quite why her opinion hasn't been given more credence based on that is baffling.

Comparing her opinion with yours is the baffling part.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

The Covid-19 serious chat thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Post by Soul Requiem on Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:50 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:What a terrible mistake on my behalf, she attended one of 41 SAGE meetings, quite why her opinion hasn't been given more credence based on that is baffling.

Comparing her opinion with yours is the baffling part.

And i've done that where? I suppose your opinion is such that you can decide which advice should and shouldn't have been followed? Hmmmm interesting.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn on Mon 29 Jun 2020, 9:41 am

It's sufficient to decide that I'll take the opinion of a member of SAGE over that of some bloke I don't know who can't properly construct a sentence.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales on Mon 29 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm

There is this thing that to an extent we are all guilty of, but that seems to be ever more prevalent the more extreme the starting viewpoint. And that is that instead of engaging with an argument we look for secondary reasons to dismiss the need to engage in the first place.

I am cautious about so many of the conspiracy theories surrounding covid and would not have brought up the Dr. Michie's comments had I not found a primary source. Here the NYT has seen reason to do an article on the scientific review process and interviewed Michie in the process. Given her background it would seem that she is concerned about how SAGE has operated and how its output has been used. Of course she has been selectively quoted. But all of these things do not mean there is no case to answer.

There are areas where we do not have to conjecture. We have the worst casualty figures in Europe and there are serious signs that we have not got on top of CV19. Only Belgium has a higher death rate per capita and that in part seems to be related to better reporting. They certainly seemed to have dropped their infection rate now. It is natural to look for reasons why. Unfortunately we have a government that seems to be trying its best only to shift blame.

lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 12:08 pm

I only checked one. Maybe she attended several, or a majority. Whatever source you used that said she didn't attend any is clearly inaccurate.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 12:17 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I only checked one. Maybe she attended several, or a majority. Whatever source you used that said she didn't attend any is clearly inaccurate.

You only checked one and it happened to be the only one she attended, sounds truthful to me.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 12:27 pm

I googled, quickly found one she'd been at, didn't bother to look any further.
Certainly more truthful than saying she didn't attend any.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

You only checked one and it happened to be the only one she attended, sounds truthful to me.

Rather than derail the conversation over a technicality - What do you actually think of the claims then Soul?

lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 2:49 pm

I read the article and my, superficial, reading was that it was not the solitary opinion of one quoted member of SAGE but rather a consensus that the government pretty much ignored the advice that didn't suit them and used SAGE as an umbrella to shelter under when the public needed someone to blame. As I said that's just my reading of it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT on Sun 05 Jul 2020, 10:10 am

What is it with Johnson, first his boss goes awol and breaks every rule in the book about Covid-19 travelling and isolating, then his father goes off on a jolly to Greece, via Bulgaria as he knew he would not be accepted from the UK. He needed to make sure his villa was ready for occupancy and was covid-19 ready i.e. buy some hand sanitiser. Even if it was more, doe she not have an agent out there who could sort anything out for him.

Another breach of the non-essential travel rules that Johnson (Jnr) refuses to condemn.

No noise being made about Farage's little trip to the USA to attend a Trump rally where there was unlikely to be any form of social distancing or precautions. One, not essential (other than to his ego). Two, breaks all the rules about quarantine. Three, proves there is one rule for them and another for everybody else.

Repeat, another breach of the non-essential travel rules that Johnson (Jnr) refuses to condemn.

WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo on Sun 05 Jul 2020, 4:29 pm

Coronavirus: 'Crystal clear' drunk people will not socially distance

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53296689

In the immortal words of Ghandi - No Frak Poopie Sherlock. They're not even bothering the "herd immunity by stealth" anymore. Let the people get infected, but at the same time claim people "need common sense" so when it goes tits up again you can deflect the blame.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum